2008 Panasonic Team Rosters

Dormant threads from the high school sections are preserved here.
ok_quizbowl
Lulu

2008 Panasonic Team Rosters

Post by ok_quizbowl »

With the original tryouts postponed because of the ice storm, the tryouts for Team Oklahoma for the 2008 Panasonic tournament were held January 6. Team Oklahoma 2008 will be:

Martin Ye, senior, Jenks (4th year)
Peter Zhang, senior, Holland Hall (3rd year)
Brandon Ranallo, junior, Haileyville (2nd year)
Dylan Hames, senior, Tulsa Booker T. Washington (1st year)
Trey Cizek, junior, Jenks (1st year)
Onkur Sen, sophomore, Tulsa Booker T. Washington (1st year)

As usual, Gail Bliss (21st year) and Eric Bell (15th year) will be the coaches.
BobGHHS
Rikku

Post by BobGHHS »

Ohio's team does not get picked until after the state tournament on May 3. Last year, Garfield Heights won, but chose to take only our three main players and three of the other best players in the state. We're the only team in the state that would take other players though, so if we don't win states again, it will likely be just the state champion team.
Bob Kilner
Kent State '06 - Boise State '10
Former Coach, Garfield Hts (OH) (2001-08)
Former Coach, Eastlake North HS (OH) (2015-22)

"I'd sooner fail than not be among the greatest." - John Keats
AlphaQuizBowler
Tidus

Post by AlphaQuizBowler »

How does Georgia pick their team?
Sen. Estes Kefauver (D-TN)
Chairman of Anti-Music Mafia Committee

Post by Sen. Estes Kefauver (D-TN) »

They don't.
Charlie Dees, North Kansas City HS '08
"I won't say more because I know some of you parse everything I say." - Jeremy Gibbs

"At one TJ tournament the neg prize was the Hampshire College ultimate frisbee team (nude) calender featuring one Evan Silberman. In retrospect that could have been a disaster." - Harry White
David Riley
Auron

Post by David Riley »

Illinois will choose its all-star team on Feb 10.
David Riley
Auron

Post by David Riley »

Team Illinois 2008 is:

John Brown, Auburn High School, Rockford
Greg Gauthier, Wheaton North High School, Wheaton
Curt Peterson, Wheaton-Warrenville South High School, Wheaton
Siva Sundaram, Auburn High School, Rockford
Mike Verity, Loyola Academy, Wilmette
J C Bennett
Lulu

Re: 2008 Panasonic Teams

Post by J C Bennett »

Team Kentucky will be:

Jacob Bailey, Simon Kenton HS
Rachel Beckman, Danville
Papa Chakaravarthy, P.L. Dunbar
Ryan Thompson, Russell
Connie Wu, P.L. Dunbar
Victor Yang, P.L. Dunbar
John Bennett, KAAC
rchschem
Yuna

Post by rchschem »

J C Bennett wrote:Team Kentucky will be:

Ryan Thompson, Russell
Good choice. Not to take away from the others, but I've actually seen Ryan play.

Eric
Eric Grunden, Research Triangle High School/NCATA
Epic Fail Guy
Lulu

Re:

Post by Epic Fail Guy »

David Riley wrote:Team Illinois 2008 is:

That's an absolutely vicious team.
kcommo
Wakka

Post by kcommo »

Vermont has put together a senior All-Star team for Panasonic this year, because of scheduling conflicts and the split New Hampshire-Vermont obligations for our state champion, Hanover.

The team that will be representing Vermont at the Panasonic Academic Challenge is:
Will Begley, Essex
Judy Contompasis, Rice
Brendan Farmer, Essex
Eliza Goldberg, Champlain Valley
Max Keve, Champlain Valley
Margaret Lund, Lamoille

I will be coaching the team.

Hanover's coach, Bill Murphy, will be in charge of the New Hampshire all-star team and Hanover captain, Dylan Matthews, is slated to be part of his team. That's all I know for certain about the N.H. team at this point, however.

-Kevin Commo
Kevin Commo
Coach, Burlington (Vt.) HS
Tournament Director, Vermont-NEA Scholars' Bowl
Director of Staffing and Statistics, International Academic Competitions
Maxwell Sniffingwell
Auron

Re: Re:

Post by Maxwell Sniffingwell »

Epic Fail Guy wrote:
David Riley wrote:Team Illinois 2008 is:

That's an absolutely vicious team.
With all due respect, I'm not sure that this team is even a step up from last year's... though I gotta say, Illinois's chances to be alive and fighting come the final look good.
Greg Peterson

Northwestern University '18
Lawrence University '11
Maine South HS '07

"a decent player" - Mike Cheyne
BobGHHS
Rikku

Post by BobGHHS »

With our victory in the OAC State Finals, Garfield Heights reserved the right to once again represent Ohio at PAC. However, after we took an all-star team last year, the OAC passed a rule saying this is not allowed and even threatened us with the stripping of our title during the trophy presentation. I was going to defy them and do it anyways, but for the sake of the future of the program (even though I will not be involved), I decided not to.

Therefore, Team Ohio will consist of the OAC State Champions, GHHS:

Dan Humphrey (12)
Joe Wells (12)
Liz Wells (12)
Jack Wells (10)
Rexy Dorado (10)
Bob Kilner
Kent State '06 - Boise State '10
Former Coach, Garfield Hts (OH) (2001-08)
Former Coach, Eastlake North HS (OH) (2015-22)

"I'd sooner fail than not be among the greatest." - John Keats
AndyShootsAndyScores
Yuna

Post by AndyShootsAndyScores »

Hoover High School's team will represent Alabama.
Andy Knowles
Brindlee Mountain, '08
University of Alabama, '12
aestheteboy
Tidus

Post by aestheteboy »

Team MD is Adam from Whitman, Daichi from WJ, and Cody and John [EDIT: I actually meant Tim] from Blair.
Last edited by aestheteboy on Wed May 07, 2008 4:08 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Daichi - Walter Johnson; Vanderbilt; U of Chicago.
Daichi's Law of High School Quizbowl: the frequency of posting in the Quizbowl Resource Center is proportional to the likelihood of being overrated.
ieppler
Rikku

Post by ieppler »

DC will most likely not be sending a team. If a team from DC goes, it will not include Dan Puma, Kevin Leahy, or Ian Eppler.
Ian Eppler from Brown University
ClemsonQB
Tidus

Post by ClemsonQB »

Team South Carolina will consist of the four seniors on the Dorman team (myself, Nick Clusserath, Paolo Arce and Arsalaan Salehani).
George Stevens

Dorman High School 2008
Clemson University 2012
Byko
Yuna

Post by Byko »

quizbowlabc wrote:Team South Carolina will consist of the four seniors on the Dorman team (myself, Nick Clusserath, Paolo Arce and Arsalaan Salehani).
I'm happy to see that, after years of effort, South Carolina has put a team together for Panasonic again. I'll look forward to seeing you guys down there.
Dave Bykowski
Furman '00
Michigan '02
PACE 1998-2009
Director, JROTC National Academic Bowl Championship
SHP Pirate
Rikku

Post by SHP Pirate »

Who will be representing New Jersey?
Michael T. Zinsmeister
Director of Admission
Seton Hall Preparatory School
West Orange, NJ
Ondes Martenot
Tidus

Post by Ondes Martenot »

Not a clue....I'm actually free that weekend so for a free trip to Dinseyworld I'd attend. Maybe Watson could too. I don't know about your team or any other teams who might be able to contribute (East Brunswick, Delbarton, Columbia...) Plus we'd need an advisor
Aaron Cohen, Bergen County Academies '08, RPI '12, NYU-???, NAQT writer, HSAPQ writer, PACE writer
SHP Pirate
Rikku

Post by SHP Pirate »

I actually called the tournament director. She told me that only two teams applied ... Indian Hills and Franklin Lakes. (Indian Hills will be the NJ rep this year.) In what tournaments has Indian Hills competed this year? I would love to contact them and invite them to join us for more events.
Michael T. Zinsmeister
Director of Admission
West Orange, NJ
Byko
Yuna

Post by Byko »

SHP Pirate wrote:I actually called the tournament director. She told me that only two teams applied ... Indian Hills and Franklin Lakes. (Indian Hills will be the NJ rep this year.) In what tournaments has Indian Hills competed this year? I would love to contact them and invite them to join us for more events.
Who? I know I don't get up to tournaments in NJ much, but I've never heard of either of those teams.

Let this be a heads-up to those of you in states where there isn't a pre-set way to qualify for Panasonic: if you want to go, I'm pretty sure it costs nothing (and thereby doesn't hurt) to submit an application. I don't know exactly what is involved with it, as I never had to do that before in South Carolina or Maryland, but it's basically your only shot to make your case to go. Several states have often had the same representative for many years because they are the only ones that apply, even if they aren't the strongest teams: Cheshire is almost always Connecticut's representative, and San Dieguito in California, High Tech in New Jersey, and Ezell-Harding in Tennessee have been multiple-time representatives as well (though Ezell-Harding probably shouldn't be relevant to this point--they have frequently been the strongest team in the state, and perhaps there is a process at work in Tennessee of which I'm not aware).
Dave Bykowski
Furman '00
Michigan '02
PACE 1998-2009
First Chairman
Auron

Post by First Chairman »

I have heard of Indian Hills NJ... from Decathlon.
Emil Thomas Chuck, Ph.D.
Founder, PACE
Facebook junkie and unofficial advisor to aspiring health professionals in quiz bowl
---
Pimping Green Tea Ginger Ale (Canada Dry)
SHP Pirate
Rikku

Post by SHP Pirate »

While searching for Indian Hills, I discovered that they placed 4th in NJ in Academic Decathalon this year. That may be what they used for their bid to PAC. As a team that attends many of the NJ tournaments, I was just curious which tournaments they were attending in NJ. (BRITE may be one ... we have never been because of our schedule.)
Michael T. Zinsmeister
Director of Admission
West Orange, NJ
STPickrell
Auron

Post by STPickrell »

If there is a Team Virginia, it will be sent without my knowledge.
Shawn Pickrell, HSAPQ CFO
ChathamNJ
Wakka

Post by ChathamNJ »

Indian Hills did not attend BRITE; neither did Franklin Lakes.

http://b-rea.org/britescoresheet.htm
First Chairman
Auron

Post by First Chairman »

SHP Pirate wrote:While searching for Indian Hills, I discovered that they placed 4th in NJ in Academic Decathalon this year. That may be what they used for their bid to PAC. As a team that attends many of the NJ tournaments, I was just curious which tournaments they were attending in NJ. (BRITE may be one ... we have never been because of our schedule.)
NJAD is well-organized, so it is possible that the state director was contacted. Now why the championship team this year isn't going is beyond my knowledge, but I think the first time that Indian Hills won they may have taken the spot for Panasonic and haven't given it up to other people or other schools. Why would they?
Emil Thomas Chuck, Ph.D.
Founder, PACE
Facebook junkie and unofficial advisor to aspiring health professionals in quiz bowl
---
Pimping Green Tea Ginger Ale (Canada Dry)
Matt Weiner
Sin

Post by Matt Weiner »

Panasonic, the quizbowl tournament so awesome that you can qualify for it by a completely different activity!

FYI, next year there will be 15 spots at HSNCT reserved for state volleyball champions.
Matt Weiner
Advisor to Quizbowl at Virginia Commonwealth University / Founder of hsquizbowl.org
vandyhawk
Tidus

Post by vandyhawk »

Matt Weiner wrote:Panasonic, the quizbowl tournament so awesome that you can qualify for it by a completely different activity!
Way back last century ('99), Iowa picked its PAC team as the top six individuals from Academic Decathlon. We didn't really know any better, so we thought it was pretty cool.
Matt Keller
Vanderbilt (alum)
ACF editor (emeritus)
NAQT editor (emeritus)
NKCtrashman
Lulu

Post by NKCtrashman »

As of now there will be no team Missouri.
Brandon Roney

North Kansas City High School '09
State Champs 07, 08, 09
University of Missouri '13
Blackboard Monitor Vimes
Auron

Post by Blackboard Monitor Vimes »

STPickrell wrote:If there is a Team Virginia, it will be sent without my knowledge.
Unless TJ's doing it, there probably won't be... I know our A Team last year couldn't go because of funding issues...I'm pretty sure it was the same for TJ and this may have continued to be a problem...
Sam L,
Maggie L. Walker Governor's School 2010 / UVA 2014 / VCU School of Education 2016
PACE
Down and out in Quintana Roo
Auron

Post by Down and out in Quintana Roo »

How does every school NOT have funding issues? Our high school has basically told us that they will offer us no money for any tournaments... we're going to try to convince them next year after we're even better (no seniors on the team graduating), but trips like this are just so expensive. I don't know how you all get to go to so many.
Mr. Andrew Chrzanowski
Caesar Rodney High School
Camden, Delaware
CRHS '97-'01
University of Delaware '01-'05
CRHS quizbowl coach '06-'12
http://crquizbowl.edublogs.org

Uh, we shockingly had no funding issues as long as I've been playing for NKC.
"I won't say more because I know some of you parse everything I say." - Jeremy Gibbs

"At one TJ tournament the neg prize was the Hampshire College ultimate frisbee team (nude) calender featuring one Evan Silberman. In retrospect that could have been a disaster." - Harry White
BuzzerZen
Auron

Post by BuzzerZen »

Caesar Rodney HS wrote:I don't know how you all get to go to so many.
The best thing to do is run a tournament. If there are other academic competition clubs at your school, get together with them and form an Academic Boosters organization, fleece parents for money, and funnel it to trips and pizza.
Evan Silberman
Hampshire College 07F

How are you actually reading one of my posts?
Blackboard Monitor Vimes
Auron

Post by Blackboard Monitor Vimes »

BuzzerZen wrote:
Caesar Rodney HS wrote:I don't know how you all get to go to so many.
The best thing to do is run a tournament. If there are other academic competition clubs at your school, get together with them and form an Academic Boosters organization, fleece parents for money, and funnel it to trips and pizza.
Our school does a Silent Auction which raises money for Academic Boosters, Sports Boosters, and Music Boosters; our share of the Academic Boosters profit is paying for our B Team at HSNCT. But running a tournament is the best way to raise funds as it can help develop your team as well as raise money (assuming it's housewritten; that's the only sort I've been behind the scenes for, so I don't know about team-development-type benefits from just running a tournament).
Sam L,
Maggie L. Walker Governor's School 2010 / UVA 2014 / VCU School of Education 2016
PACE
Auron

First: we've been to house-written tournaments and we hated them. The questions stunk. And we're honest: we probably couldn't do much better. I mean there's a reason we're not qualified to go to a national tourney: we're in freaking Delaware and so is Charter, so we concede first (and usually second, third, and fourth) all to ONE school many times.

Second, we wouldn't have the manpower to run a tournament here. And even if we did, few would come to Slower Lower Delaware anyway, aside from Charter who would just come and annihilate everybody again. The only good idea i've come up with is forbidding them to come by literally only inviting teams from the lower two counties (yes, three counties in Delaware) to attend, to try to develop the QB circuit more locally, and keep the difficulty of the questions at a minimum. And right now, if you add up all the teams from Kent and Sussex counties who make a dent in quiz bowl anywhere... you get a grand total of... 1. Us. And it's a small dent. So there's not much to be had to inviting schools that don't really participate.

Years ago, under a different administration and different superintendent, when i was on the team in high school (at this school) we pretty much got money for whatever we wanted. And we went to Panasonic a few times in the span of five years or so. And to the HSNCT. And many other tourneys in Virginia, etc. But the school just doesn't have the cash for anything anymore; they're firing a few teachers at the end of the year just to satisfy the state in its budget crisis.
If there are other academic competition clubs at your school...
Yeah.... no there are definitely not any others.
Mr. Andrew Chrzanowski
Camden, Delaware
CRHS '97-'01
David Riley
Auron

Post by David Riley »

Caesar Rodney: this may be naive, but given your location, couldn't you host a tournament and invite schools from PA and MD?
David Riley
Coach Emeritus, Loyola Academy, Wilmette, Illinois, 1993-2010
Steering Committee, IHSSBCA, 1996 -
Member, PACE, 2012 -

"This is 1183, of course we're barbarians" -- Eleanor of Aquitaine in "The Lion in Winter"
Byko
Yuna

Post by Byko »

NKCtrashman wrote:As of now there will be no team Missouri.
?!?!?!?!?!?!?!?!?!?!?!?!?!?!?!?!?!?!?!?!?!

Okay, seriously, what's going on out there?

As for Iowa, I think they still send teams to Panasonic that way--they had a couple years ago when I spoke with the Iowa coach prior to a game when I was with South Carolina. Plus some teams (like Southern Cal HS in Iowa) have qualified for :chip: by winning divisions of Academic Decathlon.
Dave Bykowski
Furman '00
Michigan '02
PACE 1998-2009
Auron

David Riley wrote:Caesar Rodney: this may be naive, but given your location, couldn't you host a tournament and invite schools from PA and MD?
Possibly. Again, we would need a lot of work and more manpower to make this happen since it hasn't been done before here (no way would we have enough qualified readers), plus approval from the school for even using the premises. Knowing them, even that's not a guarantee.
Mr. Andrew Chrzanowski
Camden, Delaware
CRHS '97-'01

Why couldn't you get Charter to come help your staffing if they were to agree to it, along with offering discounts to teams who bring a staffer along (a coach, parent, whatever)? Also, I mean, if there are a lot of inactive teams in your area this is an optimal chance to get them to come to things. I'm pretty sure that given your location you could draw teams from Virginia all the way up to New York if you were to advertise it right.

BuzzerZen
Auron

Post by BuzzerZen »

Byko wrote:Okay, seriously, what's going on out there?
Maybe...nobody wants to go?
Evan Silberman
Hampshire College 07F

How are you actually reading one of my posts?

I most certainly don't.

Howard
Tidus

Post by Howard »

Caesar Rodney HS wrote:
David Riley wrote:Caesar Rodney: this may be naive, but given your location, couldn't you host a tournament and invite schools from PA and MD?
Possibly. Again, we would need a lot of work and more manpower to make this happen since it hasn't been done before here (no way would we have enough qualified readers), plus approval from the school for even using the premises. Knowing them, even that's not a guarantee.
Consider requiring teams to bring a moderator and making this known in your advertisement. While not all teams would be able to supply one, one per school in addition to your own staff would almost certainly be enough to staff the tournament reasonably well.
John Gilbert
Coach, Howard High School Academic Team
Ellicott City, MD

"John Gilbert is a quiz bowl god" -- leftsaidfred
vcuEvan
Auron

Post by vcuEvan »

MLWGS-Gir wrote:
STPickrell wrote:If there is a Team Virginia, it will be sent without my knowledge.
Unless TJ's doing it, there probably won't be... I know our A Team last year couldn't go because of funding issues...I'm pretty sure it was the same for TJ and this may have continued to be a problem...
It was more than that.
STPickrell
Auron

Post by STPickrell »

Adamantium Claws wrote:
MLWGS-Gir wrote:
It was more than that.
If I recall last year's discussion correctly, it boiled down to 'no one wanted to pay $2,000 to play four matches of a quizbowl-like activity.' I think if money had descended upon us, we could've gotten someone to attend, but most teams in VA want to attend PACE and/or NAQT.

Panasonic did offer to pay the entry fee for two people, but no one answered my request for interested parties, and I was busy closing on a new house and finishing MSHSAA states, so more active recruiting just didn't happen.
Shawn Pickrell, HSAPQ CFO