South Florida Tournament ?

Dormant threads from the high school sections are preserved here.
tomburr
Lulu

South Florida Tournament ?

Post by tomburr »

Since there are NO tournaments at this point in time in South Florida, South Fork High School is interested in running one after the state championship at UF sometime in april. Would there be enough interest?

It would be a one day event.

See Map link below
Last edited by tomburr on Thu Dec 20, 2007 6:33 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Sen. Estes Kefauver (D-TN)
Chairman of Anti-Music Mafia Committee

Post by Sen. Estes Kefauver (D-TN) »

Do you mind reediting that link?
Charlie Dees, North Kansas City HS '08
"I won't say more because I know some of you parse everything I say." - Jeremy Gibbs

"At one TJ tournament the neg prize was the Hampshire College ultimate frisbee team (nude) calender featuring one Evan Silberman. In retrospect that could have been a disaster." - Harry White
NoahMinkCHS
Rikku

Post by NoahMinkCHS »

Sen. Estes Kefauver (D-TN)
Chairman of Anti-Music Mafia Committee

Post by Sen. Estes Kefauver (D-TN) »

Well, or there's a way to fix it so you can put text in. (It explains it when you hold over the URL button).
Charlie Dees, North Kansas City HS '08
"I won't say more because I know some of you parse everything I say." - Jeremy Gibbs

"At one TJ tournament the neg prize was the Hampshire College ultimate frisbee team (nude) calender featuring one Evan Silberman. In retrospect that could have been a disaster." - Harry White
Saiem
Wakka

Post by Saiem »

I think Rickards would be willing to come. However, April in general is a bad time due to the fact that the state tourney is in April, state JCL is in April, State math competition is in April, and the list goes on of state tournaments.

I would suggest a date change to either March 8, January 12/19/26.

If we could charter a bus, we could probably bring all the tallahassee teams... like roughly ten actual teams from about 5-6 schools.

EDIT: Also, you guys should make the trip up for our tournament on Feb 16. It'll probably be a one day event, but if it makes your trip more conceivable, we could try a two day trip. If you all are familiar with Ransom Everglades, we'd love it if you could pass the word along.
tomburr
Lulu

Post by tomburr »

Ah, I was under the impression that the state tournament was tentatively set for March 1st. March 8th would work though, if thats what everyone needs.
Saiem
Wakka

Post by Saiem »

There are technically two state tournaments. There is the NAQT State Tournament at UF tentatively set for March 1. There is also the Commisioners Academic Challenge at like Disney World or something, which is usually a big deal.

March 8 shouldn't be too bad for Rickards as far as I can tell.
hardeecoach
Lulu

Post by hardeecoach »

The state championship is April 10-12 at Disney World. We would love to have another tournament prior to that. How about contacting Highlands and Desoto? They are also not too far.
tomburr
Lulu

Post by tomburr »

OK so, the consensus seems to be that there would be interest in a tournament after the UF State Tournament but before the April Disney Tournament? How about the 22nd of March? That would give us plenty of time to prepare/inform teams.
Saiem
Wakka

Post by Saiem »

It is not spring break for us.
tomburr
Lulu

Post by tomburr »

I can't tell whether that last comment is a good or a bad thing. If teams can make it, I think that March 22nd gives the best amount of time after UF Spring and Before April competitions.

Now I need some advice. How do I go about notifying Florida teams? I will certainly advertise at the Montverde competition next weekend as well as UF Spring, but I would like to get more advance RSVPs.
Saiem
Wakka

Post by Saiem »

Have you all ever gotten an invitation from one of the many Rickards tournaments over the past few years?

We have a large and often copied mailing list. If you have not, I will send one to you.

Speaking of which Rickards is having a tournament on February 16. You guys should absolutely come.

March 22 should be fine in terms of date. It is after our big tournament for leon county, so some teams may be burnt out. I will send out an email to the coaches in our city seeing how they feel about this.
First Chairman
Auron

Post by First Chairman »

Has Ransom Everglades ever been contacted for the tournaments in South Florida?
Emil Thomas Chuck, Ph.D.
Founder, PACE
Facebook junkie and unofficial advisor to aspiring health professionals in quiz bowl
---
Pimping Green Tea Ginger Ale (Canada Dry)
tomburr
Lulu

Post by tomburr »

Thank you all for the help. Since the panhandle is really the heart of quizbowl in Florida, we would all be very willing to chose whatever date in late March/early April that fits your schedule the best. We've never received an invitation from Rickards, and would very much appreciate a copy of the contact list. As far as Ransom Everglades goes, I have a contact at that school through which I can get in touch with them.
bjorkchop
Lulu

South Florida tournaments

Post by bjorkchop »

Hello, I'm the advisor for the Ransom Everlgades Academic Team. I'm new to coaching at the school this year, but the team is definitely interested in more South Florida tournaments.

Also, I would appreciate any info on the NAQT state tournament (location/dates/etc.) Thanks.

Steve Frappier
[email protected]
tomburr
Lulu

Post by tomburr »

Ok so, the update so far is that the tournament will on march 28th/ 29th in order to allow travel time for panhandle teams. I will be sending out an official announcment to the teams on the Rickards mailing list as well as Ransom Everglades.

For the info Steve Frappier requested, I believe the State tournament right now is tentatively scheduled for March 1st at the University of Florida.
hardeecoach
Lulu

Post by hardeecoach »

Hardee is definitely interested. We should be on the Rickards email list - if not, I can be reached at [email protected].
Saiem
Wakka

Post by Saiem »

Unfortunately, that is the same date as our prom, so Rickards probably won't attend. I just found this out very recently. But I don't know about other schools. I will ask around at our next tournament. And also, a march 28-29 tournament is the beginning of our spring break, which is a huge factor for our underclassmen that could go, and also the other schools.

Things to consider, I guess.

Also, ransom coach: Rickards tournament. We would not mind a preview of how the state tournament is gonna go down.
tomburr
Lulu

Post by tomburr »

Ah, im sorry to hear that it is the same day of your prom. I hope that we will still be able to get as many teams to participate as possible. Right now, we are just waiting on official comformation from the school board for the facilities usage, which we should get early next week. Expect and official announcement soon.