A serious question about Are You Smarter Than a 5th Grader

Dormant threads from the high school sections are preserved here.
mps4a_mps4a
Wakka

A serious question about Are You Smarter Than a 5th Grader

Post by mps4a_mps4a »

Does anybody know who provides the questions for the show? I assume they have contracted with some testing company or possibly one of the questions companies out there. If this is something that is common knowledge or has already been addressed, forgive me. I checked in the archives, but I couldn't find anything that said "X provides questions for the show."

I'm asking as background - I'm working for a company that contracts with the Education Department, and I was hoping someone in the quizbowl world might know something.

Hello to anyone I haven't talked to in a while.

AKKOLADE
Sin

Post by AKKOLADE »

I really have no idea, but I believe Who Wants to Be etc had its own writing staff, so maybe Fifth Grader does as well?

cvdwightw
Auron

Post by cvdwightw »

mps4a_mps4a wrote:Does anybody know who provides the questions for the show?
Elementary school kids. No, seriously, they encourage kids to send in their own questions and that accounts for maybe 1-2 questions per show. Sadly, these are usually among the better written questions on the show (maybe because they have some committee picking the best ones). I don't know where the vast majority of the questions come from.

NoahMinkCHS
Yuna

Post by NoahMinkCHS »

I would also guess they have their own writing staff -- it's a primetime US network TV show, after all. IMDB credits several writers and at least one researcher, so that seems to support the theory.

STPickrell
Auron

Post by STPickrell »

Now, the question comes up, are said writers part of the Writer's Guild of America?

I learned from Wiki that Jeopardy! and Who Wants to Be a Millionaire are affected as their writers are members (and the questions are way more integral to those shows than to Are You Smarter than a Fifth Grader?)

AKKOLADE
Sin

Post by AKKOLADE »

Once again, in the realm of fairly baseless speculation: I would believe they are, as they write for a major television show. They possibly just have old episodes prepared for such an event.