1st NAQT qualifier ever in Missouri @ NKC, Dec. 8th, 2007

Dormant threads from the high school sections are preserved here.
Sen. Estes Kefauver (D-TN)
Chairman of Anti-Music Mafia Committee

1st NAQT qualifier ever in Missouri @ NKC, Dec. 8th, 2007

Post by Sen. Estes Kefauver (D-TN) »

Hello,
The North KC quizbowl team will be hosting a quizbowl tournament on December 8th, 2007, for any Missouri teams. We are hosting this to give Missouri teams an opportunity to qualify for the 2008 NAQT and PACE national championship tournaments, and we will still be hosting our regular house written tournament in January. This will be a smaller field with an 18-team maximum. The questions will be written by NAQT, and we will be using one of their A-sets. A-sets are very similar to those used at the district and state tournaments, and will be much more accessible than previous NAQT tournaments that have been run in the area. If our field fills then we will be able to guarantee every team 10 games of play. We are accepting teams on a first come, first serve basis, so if you want to take advantage of this rare chance to let your team play lots of games, get practice for the new district questions, and qualify for national championships, then please consider registering soon. The entry fee for every team will be $65, and we will start accepting B-teams at a later date to ensure every school a chance to enter. The top 3 teams and the top small school will qualify for the NAQT High School National Championship Tournament, while the top 2 teams will qualify for the PACE National Scholastics Championship at George Mason University in June. If you are interested please email me at charlie16 [at] gmail [dot] com.
We hope to see you on December 8th!
-The NKC quizbowl team
Charlie Dees, North Kansas City HS '08
"I won't say more because I know some of you parse everything I say." - Jeremy Gibbs

"At one TJ tournament the neg prize was the Hampshire College ultimate frisbee team (nude) calender featuring one Evan Silberman. In retrospect that could have been a disaster." - Harry White

I should note for those of you without much experience dealing with Missouri that
1) the match length at almost every tournament is so prohibitively long that there are only 6 or 7 games that can be played, and any team that doesn't make the playoffs only plays the 3 prelims, so 10 games in a day is a pretty big deal here.
2) the last NAQT tournament was run at NKC like 5 years ago and we got angry letters complaining that the questions were way too hard and that they would not come back to our tournament if they were used and the like, so that's why I made a big focus on the easiness of A-sets. I still imagine that, as mind blowing as it seems, there will be a number of teams who refuse to come because it's NAQT.
So that hopefully will explain some things in that announcement that seem odd to outsiders.
"I won't say more because I know some of you parse everything I say." - Jeremy Gibbs

"At one TJ tournament the neg prize was the Hampshire College ultimate frisbee team (nude) calender featuring one Evan Silberman. In retrospect that could have been a disaster." - Harry White
David Riley
Auron

Post by David Riley »

Good luck and hang in there! Keep in mind that what you are doing is for the greater good!

Field:

Chillicothe (maybe)
Lee's Summit North
Lexington
Liberty
Mound City
Savannah
Truman (is trying to register 2 teams, but we made it clear in the announcement that because of the field cap we will wait until more people have a chance to sign up before we take B teams.)

I will keep editing this post as more teams register.
Last edited by Sen. Estes Kefauver (D-TN) on Fri Nov 09, 2007 5:53 pm, edited 5 times in total.

We will be using NAQT IS-69A, and assumingly will have geographic exclusivity for Missouri.

Well, we have 7 or 8 teams for this (I'm not totally sure, and I'm not sure who is coming exactly or I would update it) but my questions is for NAQT since 15% of 7 is like 1.05 do they round down or up for how many teams qualify. ie Is it just the winner of this size field, or is it the top 2? Also, does it still qualify the top 2 for PACE if the field is this small?
I'm kind of disappointed at how many teams signed up and then dropped a few days later, that was really frustrating to hear. Anyway, we'll see how it goes.

Matt Weiner
Sin

Post by Matt Weiner »

Per http://www.naqt.com/hsnct/qualification.html and http://pace-nsc.org/howtoqualify.html, the top 2 teams will qualify for both tournaments.

Results

So, thanks to fears about weather, we only had 4 teams show up today, and then thanks to reports about worse weather out east, one of those teams decided to leave after round 3, so instead of doing our originally scheduled double round robin prelims, we just played 1 round robin and then an advantaged best 2 of 3 final that was between Savannah and Liberty. Liberty being 3-0 going in won the first game and thus the "tournament" with a score of 320-215. The top individual scorer was Spencer Fish from Liberty with 45 ppg, and the other top 5 scorers were Allie Kline from Liberty, Aaron Eisiminger from Savannah, Josh Desilva from Park Hill, and Alison Tatum from Liberty.

The format was 20 tossups with rebounding bonuses, and was slightly odd because, against my wishes, our coach put powers and negs up to a vote and all the coaches wanted powers but no negs. Also, Savannah was basically without most of their usual scorers, so I think they are arguably the "B" team since only 1 person here, Eric, starts, and the other guy alternates a lot.

Thanks go out to the 4 teams who came, the moderators Jim McCrary, Chad Kubicek, and Paul Nelson (who came from all the way from Cuba, MO to read), and to NKC players Brandon, Victor, Semra, and Maryam to scorekeep, along with stats goddess Grant Gates.

Stats for the round robin are here.

And as a final discussion point, God hates us for trying to get more decent quizbowl in KC, t/f?

kCobain911
Lulu

Re: Results

Post by kCobain911 »

Deesy Does It wrote:So, thanks to fears about weather, we only had 4 teams show up today, and then thanks to reports about worse weather out east, one of those teams decided to leave after round 3, so instead of doing our originally scheduled double round robin prelims, we just played 1 round robin and then an advantaged best 2 of 3 final that was between Savannah and Liberty. Liberty being 3-0 going in won the first game and thus the "tournament" with a score of 320-215. The top individual scorer was Spencer Fish from Liberty with 45 ppg, and the other top 5 scorers were Allie Kline from Liberty, Aaron Eisiminger from Savannah, Josh Desilva from Park Hill, and Alison Tatum from Liberty.

And as a final discussion point, God hates us for trying to get more decent quizbowl in KC, t/f?
True. Very true. I feel sorry for you. If GA didn't have a quiz bowl system, I would cry. Like Riley said, hang in there.
Maxwell Sniffingwell
Auron

Post by Maxwell Sniffingwell »

So a team just went 2-2 at a tournament and qualified for Nationals?

Savannah didn't qualify for NAQT nationals, only Liberty did. Savannah already qualified with their full team at Rolla for PACE, so luckily their presence in the final wasn't really messing with PACE's bid process.