Fires in SoCal

Dormant threads from the high school sections are preserved here.
mcalmvp
Lulu

Fires in SoCal

Post by mcalmvp »

As you might know..there are more than a dozen fires in Southern California. For Southern California residents...just want to know if you are okay.

As for me, my family is part of the voluntary evacuation soon in Northern San Diego. They are okay (traveling to my grandfather's house in Chula Vista). The Witch Fire (as they are calling it..though it is estimated that it will merge with 2 other fires) jumped the 15 (as in Interstate 15) this morning west ward....affecting the community immediately north of mine.
cvdwightw
Auron

Post by cvdwightw »

For those of you who aren't local to the incident, there's at least 3 fires in the San Bernardino Mountains (Big Bear/Lake Arrowhead area), at least 3 in various parts of San Diego, 3 in northern LA County and 1 in Malibu, plus an apparent arson fire in Orange County. I believe all except the Orange County fire have damaged structures; the Orange County fire got within a few yards of houses and a shopping center, but as of now the flames have been beaten back. Anyone from Rancho Bernardo, Hart, or other schools in or near evacuation areas...please post to let us know you're okay.
mcalmvp
Lulu

Post by mcalmvp »

I'd really encourage people from Hart and RB, if they are on the forums, to say they are okay. Anyways for general information..this is a map of burn areas and evacuations areas for NORTHERN SAN DIEGO COUNTY. (There are many fires in SoCal as Dwight mentioned..but as I know the North County area of San Diego better..I can provide a better picture of affected schools)

the GREEN dot is the approximate site of Rancho Bernardo High School and the green line indicate the approximate zoning for Rancho Bernardo

the BURGANDY dot is San Dieguito Academy (they take students from throughout the San Dieguito Union School District)

the BLUE dot is Torrey Pines High School. The Blue line is the approximate zoning for Torrey Pines.
First Chairman
Auron

Post by First Chairman »

Thanks for posting this.
Emil Thomas Chuck, Ph.D.
Founder, PACE
Facebook junkie and unofficial advisor to aspiring health professionals in quiz bowl
---
Pimping Green Tea Ginger Ale (Canada Dry)
ihavenoidea
Rikku

Post by ihavenoidea »

Everyone's fine on the RB team. Don't know about their houses though...
mcalmvp
Lulu

Post by mcalmvp »

400 houses in Rancho Bernardo burned. :sad:
ihavenoidea
Rikku

Post by ihavenoidea »

The tally right now (highly conservative mind you), is 283 houses completely destroyed

This number will definitely increase.

EDIT: 480 houses =(

Not to be insensitive, but anyone know if UCI is ok? I hope we still will have CBCT
mcalmvp
Lulu

Post by mcalmvp »

ihavenoidea wrote:The tally right now (highly conservative mind you), is 283 houses completely destroyed

This number will definitely increase.

EDIT: 480 houses =(

Not to be insensitive, but anyone know if UCI is ok? I hope we still will have CBCT
UCI is quite alright. UCI is on the opposite of Irvine from the places affected by the Santiago Fire. Don't worry...we're definitely doing CBCT.
STPickrell
Auron

Post by STPickrell »

mcalmvp wrote:UCI is quite alright. UCI is on the opposite of Irvine from the places affected by the Santiago Fire. Don't worry...we're definitely doing CBCT.
IIRC, isn't the wind supposed to turn for the better Thursday?
mcalmvp
Lulu

Post by mcalmvp »

STPickrell wrote:
mcalmvp wrote:UCI is quite alright. UCI is on the opposite of Irvine from the places affected by the Santiago Fire. Don't worry...we're definitely doing CBCT.
IIRC, isn't the wind supposed to turn for the better Thursday?
Yes, though I'm kinda glad the question was asked. When all you hear is that there is a fire in Irvine...you can't be quite sure of anything. Luckily UCI as a campus structure as well as the people organizing CBCT weren't affected by the fires all that bad except for the air quality (with ungodly amount of airborne particulates). Lord knows what would have happened if the fire weren't at the foothills of the Santa Ana mountains, but rather was in the San Joaquin Hills closer to UCI.