Byko Rankings 2007-08

Dormant threads from the high school sections are preserved here.
evilmonkey
Yuna

Re: Byko Rankings

Post by evilmonkey »

Hey Byko

The results for the Indiana NAQT state Qualifier results are up, along with various leagues across the state:http://inqblots.org/
Bryce Durgin
Culver Academies '07
University of Notre Dame '11
Texas A&M '15
tomburr
Lulu

Post by tomburr »

The results for the NAQT state tournament in Florida are up:

http://www.naqt.com/stats/results.jsp
mujason
Wakka

Post by mujason »

I just posted the Tri-County Conference (MO) results; I think they're all new to the ratings except for Osage.
Jason Mueller, former University of Missouri player
Byko
Yuna

Post by Byko »

Thanks for the info--I'll be trying to catch up over the next couple of weeks. I've also gotten some results by e-mail. I've been out of town all last week and essentially didn't have internet access (hotel internet was about as good as dial-up), so I'll be playing catchup for a little while. Thanks for your patience.
Dave Bykowski
Furman '00
Michigan '02
PACE 1998-2009
Director, JROTC National Academic Bowl Championship
ntan
Lulu

Post by ntan »

i'm curious if HSNCT games received more weight in the rankings than did regular season games. For instance, La Jolla vaulted ahead of us after hsnct, which i found interesting, given the fact that we havent lost to them this year in the 3-4 times we played and our slightly superior record at hsnct. i suspect that their win against Stuyvesant pulled them up, but is a single win adequate grounds for increasing a team's ranking so greatly? This obviously is in no way downplaying La Jolla (they are a pretty good team), but I find there are several teams in the California region superior to them (Edison comes to mind), but this superiority isnt reflected in the rankings. That said, I acknowledge the difficulty of creating a numerically based ranking that is bulletproof when applied to teams that solely compete outside the circuits on the eastern seaboard.
Neiman Tan
Arcadia High School '08 / Cornell University '12
Byko
Yuna

Post by Byko »

At this point, no individual game receives any more weight than any other game. I've gotten the impression that most people prefer it that way, though I have had a couple people say playoff games should matter more. So I'm interested in the thought. But no, that wasn't an aspect of it.

One thing worth noting is that I don't have playoff results included since I don't have them, which could certainly change things a bit.

However, I would say that it's definitely affected by the fact that La Jolla's two best wins, despite being a 6-4 team, were better than Arcadia's best win. Strength of schedule is a big component, and there definitely were many matchups in which teams may have had the same record at that time in the tournament, but over the course of the year, their performace was quite different. Unfortunately, that definitely plays a part in this.

I will say, however, that all is not final--while the results were listed for Stuyvesant A, I don't know how similar this team was to Stuyvesant's actual A team. If it is in fact closer to Stuyvesant B, that would definitely bring La Jolla's rating down since that would be a much weaker opponent (#325 nationally).
Dave Bykowski
Furman '00
Michigan '02
PACE 1998-2009
mknupp
Lulu

Post by mknupp »

Will you be adding the NAQT HSNCT small school playoffs to the standings?
Byko
Yuna

Post by Byko »

mknupp wrote:Will you be adding the NAQT HSNCT small school playoffs to the standings?
Yes...once NAQT posts the scores.
Dave Bykowski
Furman '00
Michigan '02
PACE 1998-2009
Howard
Tidus

Post by Howard »

It seems that approximately the bottom 1/4 of the schools are now missing. Is this intentional?
John Gilbert
Coach, Howard High School Academic Team
Ellicott City, MD

"John Gilbert is a quiz bowl god" -- leftsaidfred
Byko
Yuna

Post by Byko »

Howard wrote:It seems that approximately the bottom 1/4 of the schools are now missing. Is this intentional?
No. The last time the web server actually got as far as making it through a recalculation without losing connection to the database server was about two days ago, and it lost connection about 3/4 of the way through writing the final numbers to the database. And that was two days ago, and it hasn't been able to perform a successful recalculation since then, and I have it set to try hourly.

So, it's a server issue. I have all the individual game data, but the way this is going, I may be accelerating a move to a different server a little faster than planned. I was looking to move it during the offseason, but I wonder if I might need to try to do so next week (with NSC preparation and my job, it won't be happening this week).
Dave Bykowski
Furman '00
Michigan '02
PACE 1998-2009
catsasslippers
Lulu

Post by catsasslippers »

Stuy was 3/4ths Stuy B plus Aidan. I'd say that should be considered Stuy B.
"... but not so if you're a structuralist! You're happy. You're french. You're very good looking. Very overpaid." - Sandra Blakely
Nina Charap
Stuyvesant High School '08
Emory University '12
Byko
Yuna

Post by Byko »

catsasslippers wrote:Stuy was 3/4ths Stuy B plus Aidan. I'd say that should be considered Stuy B.
Thanks for the info. I've made the change, though I'm not sure the server will ever recalculate the ratings, which would really be a shame.
Dave Bykowski
Furman '00
Michigan '02
PACE 1998-2009
harpersferry
Wakka

Post by harpersferry »

Auburn A (Rockford IL) somehow has 8 games recorded on saturday NSC, and one of them as far as I know (Robinson) never existed.
John Brown
Rockford Auburn '08
Indiana University '12
Byko
Yuna

Post by Byko »

pasedpawn wrote:Auburn A (Rockford IL) somehow has 8 games recorded on saturday NSC, and one of them as far as I know (Robinson) never existed.
One result was entered for the wrong Auburn. Thanks for catching it, and my apologies for the error.
Dave Bykowski
Furman '00
Michigan '02
PACE 1998-2009
Down and out in Quintana Roo
Auron

Post by Down and out in Quintana Roo »

Are the rankings going to be updated with the NAC results as well? I guess that would end the year so we can have a true final rating.
Mr. Andrew Chrzanowski
Caesar Rodney High School
Camden, Delaware
CRHS '97-'01
University of Delaware '01-'05
CRHS quizbowl coach '06-'12
http://crquizbowl.edublogs.org
AndyShootsAndyScores
Yuna

Post by AndyShootsAndyScores »

Caesar Rodney HS wrote:Are the rankings going to be updated with the NAC results as well? I guess that would actually be pointless and would skew the ratings by adding matches that weren't quiz bowl.
Fixed.
Andy Knowles
Brindlee Mountain, '08
University of Alabama, '12
Auron

So then they should take off all the matches that are of that format from the current rankings? That would eliminate another 7 wins by Charter, i guess, and 4 by us, among others.
Mr. Andrew Chrzanowski
Camden, Delaware
CRHS '97-'01
quizbowllee
Auron

Post by quizbowllee »

Caesar Rodney HS wrote:So then they should take off all the matches that are of that format from the current rankings? That would eliminate another 7 wins by Charter, i guess, and 4 by us, among others.
I think (I could be wrong) that Andy has the NAC confused with the PAC.
Lee Henry
AP Lit and APUSH Teacher
Quiz Bowl Coach
West Point High School
President-Elect/Past President- Alabama Scholastic Competition Association (ASCA)
dtaylor4
Auron

Post by dtaylor4 »

quizbowllee wrote:I think (I could be wrong) that Andy has the NAC confused with the PAC.
No, Andy's right on the money.
sabine01
Tidus

Post by sabine01 »

You might want to look at this on Byko's ratings site:
What types of quiz bowl games are not included?

Any of the following:

* Games involving three or more teams competing against each other simultaneously (e.g., Panasonic Academic Challenge, It's Academic)*
* Games that are forfeited
* Games against all-star or chimeric teams
* Games against college teams
* Games in a single-subject tournament (e.g., Science Bowl, trash tournaments)
* Byes

* While it is true that these games could be set up as a series of pairwise comparisons, there are many circumstances in which winning is all that matters, so the second place team may not actually be better than the third or fourth place team. Thus, it is easier just to ignore these results.
Much as many of us are not fans of Chip, his tournaments don't fall into the guidelines stated by Byko on the ratings site. If there's a weighting, given it is Chip-tacular or Byko has stated a different practice somewhere, feel free to direct my attention to it.
Tricia Southard Greenstein, MLS
Furman '01 | GWU Staff | Maryland '10

I don't care whose fault this was, just get it sorted! And could someone please bring me something deep fat fried and smothered in chocolate?! ~ Fairy Godmother, "Shrek 2"
Matt Weiner
Sin

Post by Matt Weiner »

Well yeah, they're included now, but ideally they shouldn't be. The ratings should just reflect games played by the regular lineup of a team on real questions, since those are the only games that mean anything.
Matt Weiner
Advisor to Quizbowl at Virginia Commonwealth University / Founder of hsquizbowl.org
sabine01
Tidus

Post by sabine01 »

Matt Weiner wrote:Well yeah, they're included now, but ideally they shouldn't be. The ratings should just reflect games played by the regular lineup of a team on real questions, since those are the only games that mean anything.
Not arguing that at all; Just stating current practice.
Tricia Southard Greenstein, MLS
Furman '01 | GWU Staff | Maryland '10

I don't care whose fault this was, just get it sorted! And could someone please bring me something deep fat fried and smothered in chocolate?! ~ Fairy Godmother, "Shrek 2"
evilmonkey
Yuna

Post by evilmonkey »

AndyShootsAndyScores wrote:
Caesar Rodney HS wrote:Are the rankings going to be updated with the NAC results as well? I guess that would actually be pointless and would skew the ratings by adding matches that weren't quiz bowl.
Fixed.
Well, you've got a problem then. You've already added several dozen tournaments, leagues, etc. that use QU or the equivalent - why then shouldn't the NAC be added in.

OTOH, if you decide that QU tournaments shouldn't count, where do you stop? Because Illinois questions are math-heavy, do you discount those? Since NAQT has more trash than would be preferred in an Academic competion, do you discount those? More concerning, what about other tournaments whose questions fill in the shades of grey between Good and Bad quizbowl?

EDIT: DISCLAIMER: NOT A DEFENSE OF NAC. DON'T TAKE IT THAT WAY.
Bryce Durgin
Culver Academies '07
Texas A&M '15
AndyShootsAndyScores
Yuna

Had I known that there were already results from QU tournaments in the rankings, I would not have made my post. NAC should definitely be included then.

I have no big problem with any other formats. I wouldn't argue against putting PAC results in there if it were possible. Whether a format is math-heavy or is just plain weird as far as structure goes doesn't concern me. QU has terrible questions and had terrible structure, that's my beef with it.
Andy Knowles
Brindlee Mountain, '08
Auron

quizbowllee wrote:
Caesar Rodney HS wrote:So then they should take off all the matches that are of that format from the current rankings? That would eliminate another 7 wins by Charter, i guess, and 4 by us, among others.
I think (I could be wrong) that Andy has the NAC confused with the PAC.
Oh, i never commented on this, but i do prefer to be called Andrew. Thanks.

Anyway, the ratings WERE updated with the NAC results and Charter stayed in 5th place overall. Of interest (of course you can see the ratings here) the Manheim win over Charter was the 5th least likely result of the year, apparently, with only a 0.020 likelihood of happening.

And hoorah... the CR C team did end up solidifying our last place in the nation status, albeit the margin got a little smaller. Well, needless to say for them, there's no place to go but up next year! :roll:
Mr. Andrew Chrzanowski
Camden, Delaware
CRHS '97-'01
evilmonkey
Yuna

Post by evilmonkey »

Caesar Rodney HS wrote:
quizbowllee wrote: I think (I could be wrong) that Andy has the NAC confused with the PAC.
Oh, i never commented on this, but i do prefer to be called Andrew. Thanks.
Hehe... the student who you had originally responded to is Lee's student named Andy...

EDIT: Fixed Quote
Last edited by evilmonkey on Sat Jun 21, 2008 11:34 am, edited 1 time in total.
Bryce Durgin
Culver Academies '07
Texas A&M '15
Ondes Martenot
Tidus

Post by Ondes Martenot »

And Booker T Washington is now ranked 24th nation and received 0 votes in the post nationals poll
Aaron Cohen, Bergen County Academies '08, RPI '12, NYU-???, NAQT writer, HSAPQ writer, PACE writer
Whiter Hydra
Auron

Post by Whiter Hydra »

And TJ A is ranked 4th despite getting the most number of first-place votes.
Harry White
TJHSST '09, Virginia Tech '13

Owner of Tournament Database Search and Quizbowl Schedule Generator
Will run stats for food
AndyShootsAndyScores
Yuna

dtaylor4 wrote:
quizbowllee wrote:I think (I could be wrong) that Andy has the NAC confused with the PAC.
No, Andy's right on the money.
I actually knew what I was talking about this time :lol:.
Andy Knowles
Brindlee Mountain, '08