Autumn Classic (12/08/2007) at the University of Michigan

Dormant threads from the high school sections are preserved here.
alkrav112
Rikku

Autumn Classic (12/08/2007) at the University of Michigan

Post by alkrav112 »

Hi all - It's that time of year again! Michigan Academic Competitions is pleased to invite your team to the 2007 Autumn Classic to be held on Saturday, December 8, 2007, on the Central Campus of the University of Michigan in Ann Arbor. Since 1995, Michigan Academic Competitions has hosted several tournaments for high schools throughout the state of Michigan. This year's Autumn Classic promises more of the same, as we hope to draw some of the finest schools from throughout the region and beyond. This event will be run with questions provided by NAQT. As a result, teams entering the 2007 Autumn Classic will be able to qualify for the 2008 NAQT High School Championship.

Each match will consist of two 8-minute halves or 24 tossup questions, whichevercomes first. Players who first answer a question correctly will be rewarded with points and a chance for the entire team to answer bonus questions, all of which are worth a maximum of 30 points. Questions come from all areas: science, math, history and government, literature, current events, geography, popular culture, fine arts, sports, mythology and religion, social science, and general knowledge, with the academic areas heavily emphasized. In an attempt to ensure that teams have the opportunity to compete against teams of equal skill, the schedule will incorporate a pooled round robin for preliminary play. In addition, we guarantee that each team will play a minimum of six matches (probably at least seven), with the top teams playing head-to-head to determine the tournament champion. Our goal is that each team plays as many matches as possible. We will also attempt to ensure that teams from the same school will not play each other during the
preliminary rounds.

We will begin registration at 8:15 a.m. and hold a mandatory meeting for players and coaches at 8:45 a.m. Rounds will begin at 9:00 a.m. and continue through the morning and early afternoon with a lunch break around 1:00 p.m. Playoffs and a brief awards ceremony will follow, and we expect to finish no later than 6:00 p.m. The location of the tournament is still to be determined, though we plan to hold it in Mason and Angell Hall (where we've held it in the past few years). Specific information will be sent out as the tournament date approaches.

Registration for this event will be limited to 32 high school teams, and we will initially allow each school to register only 2 teams. All other teams from that school will be placed on a wait list, which will be used to complete the tournament field on a first-come, first-served basis after the registration deadline of November 22, 2007. Teams may consist of an unlimited number of players, only four of whom may play at once. It is our hope, however, that all the students attending the tournament will receive a good deal of playing time. We will accept teams on a first-come basis until 5:00 p.m. on Thursday, November 22, 2007, unless we first reach the tournament maximum (if this happens, we will place these teams on a waiting list).

To register, send an e-mail to [email protected] that includes your name, school, number of teams, number of buzzers you can bring, a phone number, and a confirmation e-mail address. Please note that the registration forms on the team website are no longer valid. If your registration e-mail does not include ALL of this information, you will not be officially registered and thus will not be guaranteed a spot in the field.

The entry fees for the 2007 Autumn Classic are:

First team from a school* $90
Each additional team from a school $70
Discount for a fully functional buzzer system (max 2 per school) -$10
Early bird discount for registering by 5:00 PM, November 17 -$5/team
New program discount** -$10/team
Online registration discount -$5/team
Distance discount (100-275 miles)*** -$10/team
Extreme distance discount (over 275 miles)*** -$50/team
Minimum entry fee per team $0

* Canadian dollars are accepted from Canadian high schools at par.
** If your school has not participated in a University of Michigan tournament within the past two years, then you are eligible for this discount.
*** Distances are determined as based on distance one way from your school to the tournament site according to mapblast.com.

Checks should be made out to "Michigan Academic Competitions." While we prefer that you bring them to the tournament and hand them in at registration, if this is not possible, you can mail the check to:

Michigan Academic Competitions
C/O The University Activities Center
4002 Michigan Union
530 S State St
Ann Arbor MI 48109-1349

When I receive your registration, I will send you an e-mail calculating your fee. If you note an error in my calculations, or if I fail to send you this notice promptly, please e-mail me and let me know. Once we receive your school's entry, we will send you a confirmation, area maps and directions, tournament rules, and other useful information. Our web page (http://www.umich.edu/~uac/mac/) contains a Frequently Asked Questions section that we hope will answer any questions you have regarding the tournament.

If you have specific questions about the tournament, please do not hesitate to contact me (Andy Kravis) by e-mail at [email protected].

We look forward to seeing you on December 10!

Sincerely,

Andy Kravis
Tournament Director & Internal Director, Michigan Academic Competitions[/img]
alkrav112
Rikku

Post by alkrav112 »

Hi all,

A few notes about the previous post:

*The early-bird registration discount deadline is NOVEMBER 8TH, not the 17th as previously stated.
*The tournament is on DECEMBER 8TH (disregard the last line, where I say the 10th).

I think that's it, but please let me know if anything else looks fishy. Looking forward to December!

- Andy
alkrav112
Rikku

Post by alkrav112 »

A quick note: This tournament will be played on NAQT question set IS-70. Please do not attend another tournament that uses this question set, as it would provide an unfair advantage (not to mention it would be no fun if you'd heard all the questions already).
alkrav112
Rikku

Field Update - 10/16/07

Post by alkrav112 »

Autumn Classic 2007 field as of 10/16:

Stevenson
Novi (2)
DCD (2)
DeWitt (2)
Brighton (2)
Huron (2)
Holland
Quincy
Hartland (2)
East Lansing
Standish-Sterling
DCC (2)
Rochester (2)

Total: 21/32

The later it gets, the faster these spots go; the earlier you register, the easier it makes it on me.

*Edit - field update
**Edit 2 - field update
alkrav112
Rikku

Field Update/Bump - 10/27

Post by alkrav112 »

Autumn Classic 2007 field as of 11/1:

Stevenson
Novi (2)
DCD (2)
DeWitt (2)
Brighton (2)
Huron (2)
Holland
Quincy
Hartland (2)
East Lansing
Standish-Sterling
DCC (2)
Rochester (2)
Farmington (2)
Culver Academies (2)
Troy (2)
Saline

Total: 28/32

As you can see, we've almost reached our predetermined field cap. Once again, if there is sufficient interest beyond 32 teams, and if I can provide the necessary staff, I will consider expanding the field size. But obviously don't count on it.

*Edit 1 - Field Update
alkrav112
Rikku

Post by alkrav112 »

We've decided officially to cap the field at 32 teams. Just a reminder that the early registration deadline is in a week.
alkrav112
Rikku

Post by alkrav112 »

As of November 7th, our field has been finalized. Any team wishing to register should send an e-mail to [email protected], and you will be added to the waitlist. The field stands as follows:

Stevenson
Novi (2)
DCD (2)
DeWitt (2)
Brighton (2)
Huron (2)
Holland
Quincy
Hartland (2)
East Lansing
Standish-Sterling
DCC (2)
Rochester (2)
Farmington (2)
Culver Academies (2)
Troy (2)
Saline
Livonia Churchill (2)
Sand Creek (2)

Total: 32/32
Ugly
Lulu

Post by Ugly »

Hello, I am from Grosse Pointe North, and our coach registered us for this tournament. I was wondering where we were on the waitlist.
Jamie Ding
Grosse Pointe North High School 2009
Princeton 2013

This signature is superior to itself.
alkrav112
Rikku

Post by alkrav112 »

Your teams are somewhere around 7th and 8th.
Lukey's Boat
Lulu

Post by Lukey's Boat »

When might players be able to find out the schedule for this tournament, particularly when it will be finished?
Liz F.
Michigan Technological University
Formerly East Lansing H.S.
alkrav112
Rikku

Post by alkrav112 »

Hello all -

As we approach the long-anticipated Autumn Classic next Saturday (the 8th), I have finalized details about when & where we are meeting:

We will begin registration at 8:15 a.m. and hold a mandatory meeting for players and coaches at 8:45 a.m. in 3427 Mason Hall, which is on floor 3 of Mason (there are maps in the building). At the moment, there is a bit of construction surrounding the Mason/Angell/Tisch/Haven complex. It will not affect parking or any road travel, but some sidewalks are blocked off. If you find yourself near a blocked sidewalk, follow the signs that say "To Diag," and you'll get yourself to the right area. For further info, see the FAQ section of http://www.umich.edu/~uac/mac. Rounds will begin promptly at 9:00 a.m. These rounds will be strictly by NAQT rules, 2 8-minute halves, so the day should run fairly swiftly. Teams will each play at least 7 rounds, in addition to however many playoff rounds they earn. The tournament should end sometime around 4 pm, but don't quote me on that.

To those teams on the waitlist, I'm sorry to say that the field is going to be limited to 32 teams. Ultimately, we were unable to accumulate the necessary staff to manage a larger field; we will try to expand next year if the demand remains as high as it was this year.

Again, please bring checks to the tournament if they are not already in the mail; they should be made out to Michigan Academic Competitions.

If you have any further questions, please e-mail me at [email protected] and I'll get back to you as soon as possible.

If you have any further questions, PLEASE let me know. I'm more than happy to help, and I'd much rather take 10 minutes now than 10 minutes the morning of.

Thanks!
Andy
alkrav112
Rikku

Post by alkrav112 »

Signs are posted that the Downtown Ann Arbor (Main Street) Exit 3 on Southbound M-14 from US-23 is scheduled to be closed from 2 am until 12 noon on Saturday. (It has been closed during those times the past few
Saturdays.)

As this will likely affect many teams' arrival routes, please plan ahead to detour to either Maple Road or Barton Drive.
cdbarker
Lulu

Stats

Post by cdbarker »

Stats for the 2007 Autumn Classic at the University of Michigan may be found by clicking:
http://www.collegequizbowl.org/2007AC/2 ... dings.html

We'll update throughout the day.
Quantum Mushroom Billiard Hat
Rikku

Post by Quantum Mushroom Billiard Hat »

East Lansing beat Detroit Catholic Central in the final on tiebreaker questions. I believe the final score was 325-305, after being tied at 300 when regular time expired.

I'm sure more detailed playoff results will be posted shortly.
alkrav112
Rikku

Post by alkrav112 »

Brief Results from Autumn Classic -

1) East Lansing A
2) DCC A
3T) Culver A (lost to DCC A)
3T) Novi A (lost to EL A)

The tournament ran very smoothly; I want to thank all the teams that showed up, and I hope everyone had a good time. Thanks to my moderators and scorekeepers: Deskin!, Alex!, Kevin, Ryan, Michael, other Michael, Kai, Jim, Bobby, Mike Burger, Surya, Leigh, Colleen, Geoff, Ryan, Scot, Steve, Emily, Derek, and Jane. Special thanks to Craig Barker for keeping stats all day. (I hope I haven't forgotten anyone!)

If anyone needs to contact me for any reason (Standish-Sterling, we picked up your buzzer system from Jimmy John's), shoot me an e-mail at [email protected].
alkrav112
Rikku

Post by alkrav112 »

So here are some more detailed results:

The 32 teams were divided into 4 brackets of 8 teams each, and each team played 7 games in the morning round-robin. The top 4 teams from each bracket went to the playoffs. Playoff results:

Round of 16:

East Lansing A (H1) def. DCD B (S4) 315-100
Dewitt A (B2) def. Brighton A (F3) 205-95
Novi A (S1) def. Farmington B (H4) 410-100
DCD A (F2) def. Hartland A (B3) 415-85
DCC A (B1) def. Troy A (F4) 385-155
Ann Arbor Huron A (H2) def. Holland (S3) 195-50
Rochester B (B4) def. DCC B (F1) 255-145
Culver Academies A (S2) def. Livonia Churchill (H3) 270-220

Quarterfinals
East Lansing A def. Dewitt A 315-100
Novi A def. DCD A 320-150
DCC A def. Ann Arbor Huron A 390-185
Culver Academies A def. Rochester B 265-120

Semifinals
East Lansing A def. Novi A 335-170
DCC A def. Culver Academies A 345-145

Finals
At the end of regulation, East Lansing A 300 - DCC A 300
After a 3-question overtime, East Lansing A def. DCC A 325-305

Congratulations and thanks to all teams; we hope to see you again next year!