Byko's Ratings

Dormant threads from the high school sections are preserved here.
Captain Sinico
Auron

Post by Captain Sinico »

It seems to me that the easiest way to handle this for ranking purposes is to just label whichever team from a given school finishes highest (regardless of its in-tournament designation) as the A team. That is a posteriori the best team the school fielded that day, which, I think, is what we're really trying to get at. So, for ranking purposes, it doesn't matter very much what labels a coach chooses in the aggregate.

Later,
MaS
Mike Sorice
Former Coach, Centennial High School of Champaign, IL (2014-2020) & Team Illinois (2016-2018)
Alumnus, Illinois ABT (2000-2002; 2003-2009) & Fenwick Scholastic Bowl (1999-2000)
Member, ACF (Emeritus), IHSSBCA, & PACE
Tower Monarch
Rikku

Post by Tower Monarch »

A situation very similar to this last scenario occured yesterday at TJ. I'll refer anyone interested to read Swissboy's response to my disappointment with their roster in the TJIAT forum, but I hope if this tournament is added to the rankings, I definitely support Immaculate Deception's plan to account for it.
Cameron Orth - Freelance Writer/Moderator, PACE member
College: JTCC 2011, Dartmouth College '09-'10, '11-'14
Mathematics, Computer Science and Film/Media Studies
High School: Home Schooled/Cosby High '08-'09, MLWGSGIS A-E '06-'08
The Atom Strikes!
Tidus

Post by The Atom Strikes! »

I think that in cases where team selectors' picks are uncertain, Simone's idea would be best.
Henry Gorman, Wilmington Charter '09, Rice '13, PhD History Vanderbilt '1X
btressler
Tidus

Post by btressler »

I think the easiest policy here is for Dave to accept the tournament as posted, and for you to plead your case privately if you think it should show up in his system differently.

I actually have already done this for JIAT, telling Dave that the "F" team will now be playing as team "B" until further notice.

It is very possible that the 'old' team B might beat the 'new' team B in the future, but I won't beg Dave to retroactively change the letters in that case.

Due to Kellenberg's and Seton Hall's travels and the plethora of teams going this week to Princeton that were at JIAT, I'd say the mid-Atlantic should be somewhat connected very soon.
The Atom Strikes!
Tidus

Post by The Atom Strikes! »

But are TJIAT's playoff results out yet? It would be kind of unrepresentative to put in the tournament without them.
Last edited by The Atom Strikes! on Thu Oct 18, 2007 8:55 am, edited 1 time in total.
Henry Gorman, Wilmington Charter '09, Rice '13, PhD History Vanderbilt '1X
Nine-Tenths Ideas
Auron

Post by Nine-Tenths Ideas »

Just a question- how often are these updated?
Isaac
Isaac Hirsch
University of Maryland '14
Never Gonna Play Again
Byko
Yuna

Post by Byko »

NeverHitTina wrote:Just a question- how often are these updated?
Isaac
Basically, it happens when I have time. Right now, I'm still finishing up writing/editing one final tournament set that needs to get out by this weekend. So I'm hoping to add some more data sometime next week.
Dave Bykowski
Furman '00
Michigan '02
PACE 1998-2009
Director, JROTC National Academic Bowl Championship
Sen. Estes Kefauver (D-TN)
Chairman of Anti-Music Mafia Committee

Post by Sen. Estes Kefauver (D-TN) »

Another question -
What does this mean for regions that feature a large number of junior varsity tournaments? Often times the JV teams are simply the B or C team of a school, but they compete in separate divisions with similar teams. How are these results treated? What happens when players move back and forth on these teams? For instance, my 1st year I played a couple JV tournaments with Christine P. since we were both new, and soon after we moved up to the varsity team. However, our varsity didn't play anything all year until we moved up for a number of reasons. So, while it's irrelevant to this year, would our JV team have counted as NKC A until we left it? I know of other teams that are very similar, with moving players, or else with young players who are kept on JV until, like, their junior year or something like that.
Charlie Dees, North Kansas City HS '08
"I won't say more because I know some of you parse everything I say." - Jeremy Gibbs

"At one TJ tournament the neg prize was the Hampshire College ultimate frisbee team (nude) calender featuring one Evan Silberman. In retrospect that could have been a disaster." - Harry White
Ben Dillon
Rikku

Post by Ben Dillon »

The possibility of players moving between teams, whether through promotion, demotion, attrition, or nefarious design, makes me think that maybe B teams shouldn't even be included in the rankings. For purposes of the rankings, David could take whichever team finishes the highest and designate their result as the one to be ranked.

Obviously, this solution would penalize B teams that are stable, like mine, and B teams that excel from year to year, like TJ's. But I'm not sure any solution really "solves" the problem anyway.
Ben Dillon, Saint Joseph HS

"Why, sometimes I've believed as many as
six impossible things before breakfast!"
Byko
Yuna

Post by Byko »

To be honest, I'm not sure what the best way to handle JV tournaments is. There are only teams marked as JV based on the first couple of tournaments this season because of how clearly they were delineated. But I really don't have a good answer and am open to recommendations.
Dave Bykowski
Furman '00
Michigan '02
PACE 1998-2009
Quantum Mushroom Billiard Hat
Rikku

Post by Quantum Mushroom Billiard Hat »

Perhaps you could assume that JV teams are the next highest teams the school can field, in order. For example, with Something A, Something B, Something C, Something JV A, Something JV B, you can change JV A and B to D and E. I'm not sure how well this would work, but it is a possibility.
STPickrell
Auron

Post by STPickrell »

I'd be disinclined to include B teams due to the fact that their makeup is way more inconsistent.

A team members are usually more active and consistent, whereas at many schools the B team is whoever wants to go to that tournament on that weekend.

On the other hand, Byko, if you want to include B and lower teams, I can send you the Valley District results which include 34 teams from 9 schools.
emactruman
Lulu

Post by emactruman »

Byko,

If your looking for more scores of a random league in Michigan, try

http://www.megaconferencequizbowl.com

or

fulton.edzone.net/high/quizbowl/quizbowlmain.html

also if you contact Ann Saunders from UM-flints T.V. 28 she can send you scores from their tournament.
Ben Dillon
Rikku

Post by Ben Dillon »

How feasible/desirable would it be to simply lump together any non-A team results as B? Usually there's enough of a falloff after an A team that other teams are interchangeable, and their players are more likely to change during the year anyway.

When the E team beats the D team by a score of 20-10 in a tournament, I don't see this as being significant enough to count, so they may as well have been counted as one team. In fact, any game between two teams of the same school probably shouldn't count for national ratings anyway. Couldn't a team influence the ratings by holding its own intramural tournament then?

DumbJaques
Forums Staff: Administrator

Post by DumbJaques »

How feasible/desirable would it be to simply lump together any non-A team results as B? Usually there's enough of a falloff after an A team that other teams are interchangeable, and their players are more likely to change during the year anyway.
Not very, because this is just plain wrong. A lot of teams have B, C, and D teams that are competent to quite varying degrees (the only thing they have in common really is the ability to beat up on so-called "A" teams from programs that lack experience or ability). The regular placement of TJ B, Dorman B, Gov B, RM B, and various others depending on the year is more than enough evidence that there isn't necessarily "enough falloff," and what's more those teams regularly field C teams that are better than most A teams.
In fact, any game between two teams of the same school probably shouldn't count for national ratings anyway. Couldn't a team influence the ratings by holding its own intramural tournament then?
Well, Dave is the one who enters the games so I would think something like that woudl be apparent. But seriously, if a team hosts an intramural tournament for the express purpose of increasing its status in Bykowski's ratings, then said team deserves to be barred from quizbowl for all eternity. Seriously, this would never happen.
Chris Ray
OSU
University of Chicago, 2016
University of Maryland, 2014
ACF, PACE
Ben Dillon
Rikku

Post by Ben Dillon »

Okay then, what if coaches designated before a tournament whether the tournament would be rated for their teams? I could see a coach saying that their A and B teams were to be counted as "official" and their C team would be "unofficial". This would allow for B and lower teams that are more stable.

I'm just trying to generate any ideas here, not necessarily good ideas. I also see the problems with these solutions :)

Dachspmg
Lulu

Post by Dachspmg »

Ben Dillon wrote:Okay then, what if coaches designated before a tournament whether the tournament would be rated for their teams?
That might work if every school had a coach. :p
Phil Graves
TJ '08
GMU quizballer and volunteer moderator, 2008-?
theMoMA
Forums Staff: Administrator

Post by theMoMA »

So why does it really matter what players constitute each team? Just treat each team as an entity independent of players. It seems like this is another confounding of backward-looking and forward-looking stats. All you should really care about is which teams did what. Who they were composed of, how many points they won by, etc. shouldn't matter because rankings all about results.
STPickrell
Auron

Post by STPickrell »

Dachspmg wrote:
Ben Dillon wrote:Okay then, what if coaches designated before a tournament whether the tournament would be rated for their teams?
That might work if every school had a coach. :p
I don't know if I ever actually met Mrs. Donohue (the TJ sponsor) or not.
Nine-Tenths Ideas
Auron

Byko-
Mr. Keegan of Blake recently held a 1 team v. 1 team tournament with 6 rounds and full results, including point totals verified by both team captains. He said he'd be happy to send you the results but needs you email.
Isaac Hirsch
Never Gonna Play Again
Byko
Yuna

Post by Byko »

NeverHitTina wrote:Byko-
Mr. Keegan of Blake recently held a 1 team v. 1 team tournament with 6 rounds and full results, including point totals verified by both team captains. He said he'd be happy to send you the results but needs you email.
Thanks--I'll be sure to drop him an e-mail sometime this week.
Dave Bykowski
Furman '00
Michigan '02
PACE 1998-2009
Nine-Tenths Ideas
Auron

Byko- Results email has been sent.
Isaac Hirsch
Never Gonna Play Again
Byko
Yuna

Post by Byko »

NeverHitTina wrote:Byko- Results email has been sent.
Got it--thanks.