What's up with hats?

Dormant threads from the high school sections are preserved here.
mceschermaniac4
Lulu

What's up with hats?

Post by mceschermaniac4 »

Whenever I go to a tournament, there is always someone with a wierd hat. I've seen cowbot hats, berets, and even a pointed-wizard hat. Can someone explain what is up with this?
ecks
Wakka

Post by ecks »

Quizbowlers love cool hats. This mystery is solved!
Christopher Stone
Truman State University '09
quizbowllee
Auron

Post by quizbowllee »

ecks wrote:Quizbowlers love cool hats. This mystery is solved!
Define "cool."
ecks
Wakka

Post by ecks »

quizbowllee wrote:
ecks wrote:Quizbowlers love cool hats. This mystery is solved!
Define "cool."
"Unique and/or nerdy"
Christopher Stone
jrbarry
Tidus

Post by jrbarry »

I am old.

Wearing hats or caps inside is dumb.
First Chairman
Auron

Post by First Chairman »

Which tournaments are these that make big deals about this?

I worry more when entire teams come with their hair dyed blue. Or they paint their entire bodies like this were a sports game.
Emil Thomas Chuck, Ph.D.
Founder, PACE
Facebook junkie and unofficial advisor to aspiring health professionals in quiz bowl
---
Pimping Green Tea Ginger Ale (Canada Dry)
Captain Sinico
Auron

Post by Captain Sinico »

Relax; it's quizbowl.

MaS
Mike Sorice
Former Coach, Centennial High School of Champaign, IL (2014-2020) & Team Illinois (2016-2018)
Alumnus, Illinois ABT (2000-2002; 2003-2009) & Fenwick Scholastic Bowl (1999-2000)
Member, ACF (Emeritus), IHSSBCA, & PACE
Sen. Estes Kefauver (D-TN)
Chairman of Anti-Music Mafia Committee

Post by Sen. Estes Kefauver (D-TN) »

ImmaculateDeception wrote:Relax; it's quizbowl.

MaS
Next time I'm at a quiz bowl tournament you'll find me laid back, smokin some serious blunts. While I wear a hat. Sorice's advice taken.
Charlie Dees, North Kansas City HS '08
"I won't say more because I know some of you parse everything I say." - Jeremy Gibbs

"At one TJ tournament the neg prize was the Hampshire College ultimate frisbee team (nude) calender featuring one Evan Silberman. In retrospect that could have been a disaster." - Harry White
theMoMA
Forums Staff: Administrator

Post by theMoMA »

ImmaculateDeception wrote:Relax; it's quizbowl.

MaS
I thought it was quiz-bowl?
Skepticism and Animal Feed
Auron

Post by Skepticism and Animal Feed »

A personal tradition of mine is to always show up to NAQT SCT "in style".

Two years ago, this means I dyed my hair. Last year, it meant that I spent the entire tournament wearing giant sunglasses. Who knows what I have in store this year?
Bruce
Harvard '10 / UChicago '07 / Roycemore School '04
ACF Member emeritus
My guide to using Wikipedia as a question source
First Chairman
Auron

Post by First Chairman »

I hope you wear underwear. :cool:
Emil Thomas Chuck, Ph.D.
Founder, PACE
Facebook junkie and unofficial advisor to aspiring health professionals in quiz bowl
---
quizbowllee
Auron

Post by quizbowllee »

Bruce wrote:A personal tradition of mine is to always show up to NAQT SCT "in style".

Two years ago, this means I dyed my hair. Last year, it meant that I spent the entire tournament wearing giant sunglasses. Who knows what I have in store this year?
So... you're one of THOSE quiz bowl players... :roll:
Jeremy Gibbs Lemma
Rikku

Post by Jeremy Gibbs Lemma »

I typically do a fedora ..... or occasionally my Irish golf cap.
Philip Marschall
Lulu

Post by Philip Marschall »

My personal favorite is the guys that wear chain-mail to quiz bowl tournaments.
Jeremy Gibbs Lemma
Rikku

haven't seen that but good idea
ecks
Wakka

Post by ecks »

There was a guy in high school I knew who would show up at tournaments with two hollowed-out coconuts and run around with someone hitting them together, a lo Monty Python. Not exactly a hat, but I think it qualifies under "showing up in style".
Christopher Stone
First Chairman
Auron

Post by First Chairman »

Are we saying we should write in a "professional conduct" rule into tournament rules? That I think takes things a bit too far. (So does wearing a T-shirt with the entire periodic table.)
Emil Thomas Chuck, Ph.D.
Founder, PACE
---
pray for elves
Auron

Post by pray for elves »

E.T. Chuck wrote: (So does wearing a T-shirt with the entire periodic table.)
Hey, man, I proudly wear my periodic table T-shirt (with glow-in-the-dark radioactive elements). It's the only shirt I still have to represent Oak Ridge with, since it's from the American Museum of Science and Energy.
First Chairman
Auron

Post by First Chairman »

Considering that "periodic table chess" questions should have been executed by firing squad, it's probably not much of a problem now. As long as there aren't questions that do "name the element from abbreviations" at the tournament. :)
Emil Thomas Chuck, Ph.D.
Founder, PACE
---
dtaylor4
Auron

Post by dtaylor4 »

E.T. Chuck wrote:Are we saying we should write in a "professional conduct" rule into tournament rules? That I think takes things a bit too far. (So does wearing a T-shirt with the entire periodic table.)
The state tournament run by the Masons in Illinois, which is big because of the prize money, has somewhat strict rules. The IHSA has the 'matching shirts' rule for the state tournament, but that's about it.
STPickrell
Auron

Post by STPickrell »

Philip Marschall wrote:My personal favorite is the guys that wear chain-mail to quiz bowl tournaments.
I have heard a player for Blacksburg would wear chainmail during VHSL competitions.

Abingdon showed up in 2005 at VHSL states wearing pirate outfits.

I laughed my head off when reading the IHSA casebook entry about teams wearing striped prison shirts.
Captain Sinico
Auron

Post by Captain Sinico »

I'm laughing on line, guys.

MaS
Mike Sorice
Former Coach, Centennial High School of Champaign, IL (2014-2020) & Team Illinois (2016-2018)
Alumnus, Illinois ABT (2000-2002; 2003-2009) & Fenwick Scholastic Bowl (1999-2000)
Member, ACF (Emeritus), IHSSBCA, & PACE
Stained Diviner
Auron

Post by Stained Diviner »

The IHSA casebook was written that way thanks to DaGeneral's former team before he was on it.

The first time my team qualified for the State Finals was 1995. After qualifying, we got calls from several coaches telling us that, though we usually just wore T-shirts, most teams dressed up for the State Finals and we should do likewise. Pretty much every male at State wore a tie.

By the next time my team had qualified for State, which was 1997, IHSA had passed a rule saying that each team should wear matching tops. I wasn't in any leadership position at the time, but I told anybody who asked me that it was a bad idea. Additionally, IHSA used a horrible writer at the time who averaged 1-2 errors per round, and the errors were not fixed before the match.

In honor of the new rule and the question quality, one team (who wrote outstanding questions for their own tournament and had an alum who started a great question writing company) showed up in orange jump suits that read "Illinois Department of Corrections". I thought it was great, but the IHSA did not. Because the rule only stated that the tops had to match, IHSA let them play. The rule was soon changed from 'matching tops' to 'respectful matching tops'.
Tegan
Coach of AHAN Jr.

Post by Tegan »

ReinsteinD wrote:In honor of the new rule and the question quality, one team (who wrote outstanding questions for their own tournament and had an alum who started a great question writing company) showed up in orange jump suits that read "Illinois Department of Corrections". I thought it was great, but the IHSA did not. Because the rule only stated that the tops had to match, IHSA let them play. The rule was soon changed from 'matching tops' to 'respectful matching tops'.
Actually, the story I heard was that the jumpsuits were printed "IHSA Department of Corrections" ..... which puts a finer point otn the mater.

Ironicalkly, I had ust introduced the idea of a Case Manual, which the IHSA then enthusiastically embraced .... provided I write a case banning such tomfoolery and shenanigans as "Orange prison jumpsuits".

I await the day a team appears in leopard skin spandex..... of course the rule is written in such a way that they can still get kicked out ..... but I would like to see the effort.

If I ever come to somethng in Illinois, I will wear the leopard skin spandex. Just for you.
"I won't say more because I know some of you parse everything I say." - Jeremy Gibbs

"At one TJ tournament the neg prize was the Hampshire College ultimate frisbee team (nude) calender featuring one Evan Silberman. In retrospect that could have been a disaster." - Harry White
Matthew D
Yuna

Post by Matthew D »

Just the thought of spandex burns my retinas... The horror
Jeremy Gibbs Lemma
Rikku

chuq .... i think CO might call for spandex and chain mail .... with hats of course .... and maybe a bear costume ?

Brandon can wear the bear costume, I'll lead him in on a leash

gonzagaeagleahy
Wakka

Post by gonzagaeagleahy »

gonzaga next year is going to feature both dan and i wearing hats. dan's gonna go for the will butler, i'm not sure which hat i'll wear yet.
Gonzagapuma1
Tidus

Post by Gonzagapuma1 »

gonzagaeagleahy wrote: dan's gonna go for the will butler
FALSE
gonzagaeagleahy
Wakka

Post by gonzagaeagleahy »

Gonzagapuma1 wrote: FALSE
true. except it's not gonna be camouflage. it's gonna have little Wendy's Frostys floating on it.
Gonzagapuma1
Tidus

Post by Gonzagapuma1 »

I would actually wear that hat to 1 tournament for one second if u bought that for me.
The Atom Strikes!
Tidus

Post by The Atom Strikes! »

I remember hearing a tale about one of our teams that at a Rutger's tournament, wrapped their hoodies around their heads and pretended to be jihadists.
Henry Gorman, Wilmington Charter '09, Rice '13, PhD History Vanderbilt '1X