Ohio 07-08

Dormant threads from the high school sections are preserved here.
PaladinQB
Wakka

Ohio 07-08

Post by PaladinQB »

Discuss.

For my part, I think certainly that of the top 6 from 06-07, Garfield Heights is returning the most production and has to be installed as the preseason favorite. This year in Ohio has the potential to be the Dan Humphrey show, with Joe Wells there to take out the trash. Walnut Hills also has quite a bit coming back. Of the other top teams, Fisher, Tipp and Copley lose a lot but they're all coached by competent people who will have those teams right in the OAC mix by the spring. With that said, it's hard to imagine anybody beating Garfield at NAQT States this year.

Stow could certainly sneak up on some people as they've been on the rise and their hoss is coming back as a junior.

On another note, there's an awful lot of this year's graduating talent heading to Ohio State. If a few of those guys play (and get their conferral beasts under control) OSU could field a nice freshman team in 07-08. Hopefully they get to show off their some skills in a few real tournaments. CWRU, BGSU, and Northern Arizona are also getting some of the best Ohio has to offer. It's been a while since Ohio produced some national-caliber collegiate players and some of these guys and gals could do it, if they work at it.

Edited to show that I haven't forgotten about Brandon Eilertson and Anthony de Jesus, who were certainly national-caliber.

bms
powerplant
Wakka

Post by powerplant »

I'm going to post here, but mostly because I was mentioned by name. I think that Garfield should be pretty dominant, because Dan is the returning best player in the state. If he can cut down on his negs, and if I can actually learn the stuff I'm supposed to, we should be a powerful force. I don;t know much about Walnut Hills, but if they aren't losing many people then they should be a top team next year too.
Joseph Wells

Garfield Heights High School '08
Centre College 2008-2010
Tri-C 2010-2011
Ohio State 2011-
Youse Da Force
Wakka

Post by Youse Da Force »

powaplant wrote:I don;t know much about Walnut Hills, but if they aren't losing many people then they should be a top team next year too.
Well, they are losing Jacob. But the rest of the team seemed pretty good, works well, so they should be a definite contender.
DH TTHS
Lulu
Location: about 15 miles north of that joke of a city Dayton, Ohio

Post by DH TTHS »

I was wondering when Ohio would join all the other states with a comparison thread.
Dan is clearly a very good player, if Ohio had a Heisman trophy for quizteam he would probably be practicing his speech for next year. Joe Wells is also a very solid player, so Garfield should be the team to beat in OAC and perhaps at NAQT as well.
However, Walnut Hills does return several very good players, and could be perhaps a much more balanced scoring team than Garfield. Fisher and Copley both had good B teams, so they should be pretty solid. As mentioned that Stow kid has skillz. Firestone, Solon, Findlay, and Miami Valley all showed some potential.
Does anyone know who comes back from St. Xavier? They pretty much came out of nowhere this year, so I don't know if that was a senior stacked team or not. But they could be tough again.
Tipp has Doug coming back, who has some great knowledge, but not much else, so they have a ton of work to do if they want to repeat their NAQT state championship.
sweaver
Lulu

Post by sweaver »

If there's one thing I know about Ohio, it's that smart money doesn't bet against Fisher Catholic.
Youse Da Force
Wakka

Re: Ohio 07-08

Post by Youse Da Force »

PaladinQB wrote:it's hard to imagine anybody beating Garfield at NAQT States this year.
Please don't say that.
DH TTHS wrote: However, Walnut Hills does return several very good players, and could be perhaps a much more balanced scoring team than Garfield.
You say that like it's hard to be more balanced than us.
emactruman
Lulu

Post by emactruman »

How does Tipp City look?
BobGHHS
Rikku

Post by BobGHHS »

They're kind of a mystery team because even though they return Doug, and load up their A team from their not-so-terrible B team from last year, who knows how they will gel. I would expect an above-average team, but only Joe knows whether they will compete on a larger stage and be successful.
Bob Kilner
Kent State '06 - Boise State '10
Former Coach, Garfield Hts (OH) (2001-08)
Former Coach, Eastlake North HS (OH) (2015-22)

"I'd sooner fail than not be among the greatest." - John Keats
jrbellas
Lulu

Post by jrbellas »

Will Doug be an apt replacement at captain for Ryan?

Will my two Juniors who went to camp step up the effort?

Can Tipp recover from losing ten seniors who played regularly?

All of these questions, and more, won't be answered until likely after marching band season, in late November. But we will show up and try to compete on the full schedule, as usual.

Right now, we're not top five in Ohio. We'll see by the beginning of 2008 if that is going to change.
swwFCqb
Rikku

Post by swwFCqb »

What's the deal with the Ohio site? I haven't been able to get on all day.
Steven Wellstead
Fisher Catholic High School '07
Case Western Reserve University '11
NAQT writer
Youse Da Force
Wakka

Post by Youse Da Force »

swwFCqb wrote:What's the deal with the Ohio site? I haven't been able to get on all day.
Neither can I.
AKKOLADE
Sin

Post by AKKOLADE »

Tippecanoe does look to be rebuilding if their performance from yesterday means anything. They have some promising talent, but it's not put together yet.

Fisher Catholic looks very good at this point and should be one of the top teams in the state of Ohio.
BobGHHS
Rikku

Post by BobGHHS »

Joe will tell you, Tipp is definitely in re-build mode...

The teams to watch in Ohio this year are:

The Real Deal
Garfield Heights
Walnut Hills
Fisher Catholic
Copley

Wouldn't Be a Surprise to See Them Win It All
Miami Valley
Columbus Academy
Firestone
Gilmour Academy
North Olmsted

I know there are teams I am probably leaving off... so if I am Ohio gurus, speak up and let me know who...
Bob Kilner

Youse Da Force
Wakka

Post by Youse Da Force »

BobGHHS wrote:Joe will tell you, Tipp is definitely in re-build mode...

The teams to watch in Ohio this year are:

The Real Deal
Garfield Heights
Walnut Hills
Fisher Catholic
Copley

Wouldn't Be a Surprise to See Them Win It All
Miami Valley
Columbus Academy
Firestone
Gilmour Academy
North Olmsted

I know there are teams I am probably leaving off... so if I am Ohio gurus, speak up and let me know who...
Did you forget Stow again?
powerplant
Wakka

Post by powerplant »

You should add Hawken and Defiance to the bottom list. Defiance will probably do very well in OAC this year. And Hawken is a really tough team every time we play.
Joseph Wells

Centre College 2008-2010
Tri-C 2010-2011
Ohio State 2011-
walnutmjb10
Lulu

Post by walnutmjb10 »

What are everyone's rankings for Ohio as we near midseason?
BobGHHS
Rikku

Post by BobGHHS »

I think you guys at Walnut Hills and we at GH are pretty much tied for 1st, since we have no common opponents really and don't see each other at all...

After that, my rankings would look something like:

3. Fisher Catholic
4. Ottawa Hills
5. Copley
6. Defiance
7. Hawken
8. St. Charles
9. Miami Valley
10. Gilmour Academy

Now, I have a little NE bias in here, but I think I spread the state pretty well, and I think there is a big drop-off after Ottawa Hills. Copley beat us this weekend in the playoffs after we dismantled them in the round-robin... they are still Copley, but much weaker than in the past. Besides Copley, the only in-state teams holding victories over GH this year are St. Charles (by 30 at No Frills) and Ottawa Hills (by like 60 at BGSU, which we avenged with a 300-pt victory)...

Unfortunately, Walnut got hosed last weekend... but I fully expect WH and FC to be the pride of Southern Ohio, while we look to do the same up here.

People are going to disagree with my rankings, but I think that, for the most part, any of those teams could sit in any of those positions.
Bob Kilner

PaladinQB
Wakka

Post by PaladinQB »

Bob's rankings are hard to argue with (for tossup-bonus play, at least) this year, as long as you find space for Columbus Academy and Stow. Either of those teams would have a legitimate shot at NAQT States this year, if they go.
Youse Da Force
Wakka

Post by Youse Da Force »

If anyone is interested in Ohio, but doesn't actually look at our boards, here's a link to the thread with Bob Kilner's forecasts for our state format state tournament and the comments of the online quizbowl community of Ohio:

http://www.createphpbb.com/phpbb/viewto ... mforum=oac
Dan Humphrey
Princeton University (2008- ) Tournament Director, President Emeritus
Garfield Heights High School (2004-2008)
powerplant
Wakka

Post by powerplant »

I want to say that I think that Stow will be a legit contender for states this year. While they still need to improve a bit, Nathan played solo at WoQ, and did pretty well in div II. He has the disturbing ability to remember tossups verbatim, and has work ethic like very few people in the state. If they can get someone that is able to pick up the trash, they could be a real threat in NAQT.
Joseph Wells

Centre College 2008-2010
Tri-C 2010-2011
Ohio State 2011-
Youse Da Force
Wakka

Post by Youse Da Force »

AllsWellThatPosts4 wrote:He has the disturbing ability to remember tossups verbatim
Dan Humphrey
BobGHHS
Rikku

Post by BobGHHS »

Without Walnut Hills in attendance, this weekend's NAQT state tournament should be a 4-way race between Garfield Heights, Columbus Academy, Stow-Munroe Falls and Fisher Catholic, although Firestone and Findlay could absolutely make noise. Fisher is the only fully-balanced team in that foursome, but GH has Dan, CA has Kirun and Stow has Nathan, so I am looking forward to some great showdowns.
Bob Kilner

powerplant
Wakka

Post by powerplant »

But doesn't Garfield Heights have that Joe Wells kid? I hear he's amazing on tossups about Texan cities.

Honestly, I see a Garfield vs Stow final, but Columbus Academy, Solon, Copley, Northmont, Findlay, Tippecanoe, and Firestone all have some upset potential. Though Columbus Academy's strategy of not attending anything all year makes it hard to gauge how good/bad they will do.
Joseph Wells

Centre College 2008-2010
Tri-C 2010-2011
Ohio State 2011-
djones
Wakka

Post by djones »

Columbus Academy and Findlay are in the same boat.....they both have really good players, who never play at any events. It will be interesting to see how they fare.

I agree about a Garfield/Stow final...in fact, I would be shocked if it was anyone else.
David Jones
Coach, Northmont High School
BobGHHS
Rikku

Post by BobGHHS »

After the OAC State Finals yesterday, I think its pretty unanimous how things are in Ohio at the end of the season:

1. Garfield Heights (149-32, 121-9 against Ohio teams - OAC State Champions, NAQT State Champions)
2. Solon (OAC State Runners-Up, NAQT State Runners-Up)
3. Stow
4. Walnut Hills
5. Defiance

After this, I would say there is a second tier that includes Hawken, Tippecanoe, Northmont, Firestone and Copley.
Bob Kilner

scquizbowl
Wakka

Post by scquizbowl »

Congratulations to Garfield Heights, as we played them at DACQ, and they are a good team, that could challenge for honors at NAQT.

If only you could change your OAC state format, and then you would be more a force around the country.
Joe
James Island '10
swwFCqb
Rikku

Post by swwFCqb »

scquizbowl wrote:If only you could change your OAC state format, and then you would be more a force around the country.
QFT

Unfortunately, however, it doesn't look like anything will change soon, as we had a record high number of teams at OAC regionals.
Steven Wellstead
Fisher Catholic High School '07
Case Western Reserve University '11
NAQT writer
powerplant
Wakka

Post by powerplant »

BobGHHS wrote:After the OAC State Finals yesterday, I think its pretty unanimous how things are in Ohio at the end of the season:

1. Garfield Heights (149-32, 121-9 against Ohio teams - OAC State Champions, NAQT State Champions)
3. Stow
4. Walnut Hills
5. Defiance

After this, I would say there is a second tier that includes Hawken, Tippecanoe, Northmont, Firestone and Copley.
Didn't Hawken and Firestone show on both days of Solon that they were better than Defiance?
Joseph Wells

Centre College 2008-2010
Tri-C 2010-2011
Ohio State 2011-
BobGHHS
Rikku

Post by BobGHHS »

The problem is, Defiance shows up everywhere and with the exception of Copley, were pretty consistent. I saw Hawken like three times this year, at Aurora, Copley and Regionals (and they were at Solon maybe?)
Bob Kilner

Youse Da Force
Wakka

Post by Youse Da Force »

AllsWellThatPosts4 wrote:
BobGHHS wrote:After the OAC State Finals yesterday, I think its pretty unanimous how things are in Ohio at the end of the season:

3. Stow
4. Walnut Hills
5. Defiance

Didn't Hawken and Firestone show on both days of Solon that they were better than Defiance?
I continue to agree that Defiance isn't as good as Hawken. Or Firestone or Copley quite frequently.
Dan Humphrey
powerplant
Wakka

Post by powerplant »

All three were at Solon, and Hawken and Firestone did better than Defiance there.

Also, Firestone beat DCC. A flukey win for sure, but still placing them ahead of Defiance for sure.
Joseph Wells

Centre College 2008-2010
Tri-C 2010-2011
Ohio State 2011-