ACE Camps 2007

Dormant threads from the high school sections are preserved here.
jbarnes112358
Tidus

Post by jbarnes112358 »

Rick's rules described here
Sen. Estes Kefauver (D-TN)
Chairman of Anti-Music Mafia Committee

Post by Sen. Estes Kefauver (D-TN) »

Oh my god Mr. Barnes, did someone hack into your account, where on earth did you find that?
Charlie Dees, North Kansas City HS '08
"I won't say more because I know some of you parse everything I say." - Jeremy Gibbs

"At one TJ tournament the neg prize was the Hampshire College ultimate frisbee team (nude) calender featuring one Evan Silberman. In retrospect that could have been a disaster." - Harry White
The Time Keeper
Auron

Post by The Time Keeper »

The internet has gone too far this time.
DrakeRQB
Rikku

Post by DrakeRQB »

Wow, the last thing I expected on this board was to get Rickrolled.

My only criticism of the questions used in the nightly tournaments is that they apparently weren't proofread. Random words were missing or misspelled, which made my job as moderator a little tough at times. Content wise, they were solid.
Alex Drake
Robinson HS
Concord, N.C.

http://www.robinsonquizbowl.com
gonzagaeagleahy
Wakka

Post by gonzagaeagleahy »

UNDER 21 ALCOHOL RESTRICTED

but see Pat's post for actual content because I can't stop laughing -Mod
Kevin Leahy, the Bringer of Sin
Gonzaga College H.S. '08
Georgetown '12
The Time Keeper
Auron

Post by The Time Keeper »

gonzagaeagleahy wrote:
charlieDfromNKC wrote:NUH UH IF UR NAEM IZ DUMBJACKS ALL U CAN RITE IS THESE AWFUL 9 LINERS U CANT GET TIL THE LAST WURD AMIRITE!!!!!!!!!
i think this is charlie adrukn on hsquibowl thats the way to be! ya.

adding something worthwile...
i go to camp tomorrw. i cant wati to hear the awesome questions chris rote.
Wow
Jeremy Gibbs Lemma
Rikku

Post by Jeremy Gibbs Lemma »

wow ... what is up with rickrolling popping up everywhere lately ?

I ran into it the other day on a diff. msg board as well.... stupid song.
STPickrell
Auron

Post by STPickrell »

Dolemite wrote:The internet has gone too far this time.
As another member of this board's small 30+ community, I for one applaud this trend.
Andrew from jc
Wakka

Post by Andrew from jc »

I was in ur pratice room one day Drake
aestheteboy
Tidus

Post by aestheteboy »

At MSM camp, Dallas had the highest camp test score with 63, science was James (Kellenberg), Quint (Gov) and someone else, lit was Dallas, me (Daichi), and Keith, and SS was Henry G., Lauren (Half Hollow Hills?), and Dan PUMA.

The classes were not as helpful as I thought they would be, to be honest. But most of all, I had a lot of fun, and all the coaches and players were quite nice. And I met many cool people including the Canadian Michael Wright. :grin:
gonzagaeagleahy
Wakka

Post by gonzagaeagleahy »

I felt that the new ACE structure was interesting and more or less worked out pretty well because in having quizzes in each class you were pretty much forced to learn lots and lots about each class. I felt that Mr. Huff's Fine Arts class was beast and that the two science classes I took were pretty good though I think we did a little too much random stuff.
I thought that Chris Ray's questions overall were pretty good, especially in comparison to the questions usually used.
Kevin Leahy, the Bringer of Sin
Gonzaga College H.S. '08
Georgetown '12
wowitsquinthaha
Wakka

Post by wowitsquinthaha »

Well, I thought that camp was great, and although I've never been before, the structure of the classes and nightly tournaments seemed pretty good to me. To me the only thing that needed major improvement was the quality of the practice questions. Some of the questions were pretty bad to say the least, most werent pyramidal, and there were quite a few repeats and dated pop culture questions.

The three classes I took (Bio, Chem, Astronomy) were great, and I feel I really gained some good knowledge from them. And practice certainly helped a lot with my buzzer speed, even if I did get beat up by those room 2 people.

Overall, it was pretty sweet, the people were cool, the tournaments (Wildman!!), and the subject area tests were awesome.

Oh, and Daichi, science was James, Me (Quint), and Mike Wolf from DCC
Canadajin
Lulu

Post by Canadajin »

I really enjoyed the MSM camp. Mr. Rountree and Mr. Huff did a really good job of teaching their subjects, and the questions provided by Chris Ray each night were, as previously pointed out, very good and in-depth. I only wish there had been fewer non-Western History questions, though this wasn't really a problem. Also, I didn't think the practice questions were that bad, especially considering that they were written in the mid-90s. Every once in a while there was a non-pyramidal question, but most of them did have that structure.
Matthew D
Yuna

Post by Matthew D »

I sat in on Eric Huff's class last year and thought he did a great job. I also enjoyed Mrs Wright's Lit I class, it was some good refreshers for books I hadn't read in a few years..
Andrew from jc
Wakka

Post by Andrew from jc »

Mr. Huff' s Fine arts class was very good and I think I did learn a few things I didn't know
Youse Da Force
Wakka

Post by Youse Da Force »

The camp was an awesome experience. Mr. Rountree's lit classes and Chris Ray's non-western history were incredibly informative, and the questions DACQ provided were excellent. Aside from the learning, the great thing about the camps is that all these players from all over the country can meet, and get to know each other, and play together.

The only really bad thing is the length. It's too short. The camp should be like two weeks, so we can learn more and be there longer (obviously this probably isn't practical, particularly fiscally.)
DCCinator
Kimahri

ACE camp MSM

Post by DCCinator »

I thought that the ACE camp at Mount St. Mary's was a good experience. I was impressed with the players and schools who attended. It seemed as if a lot of the country's top-quality teams/players were represented. On to the camp itself....

I thought that the camp was well-run in general. I enjoyed the nightly tourneys and the end tourneys. One complaint I have is about the practice questions. But, since others have already addressed this, I will not delve any further into it.

One thing that irked me was the fact that only 12 people were in the science final (including me). I know that it was a small amount already but I believe that the tournament staff should have whittled it down in a preliminary tourney to have perhaps 5 or 6 in the final. I believe the preliminary round is necessary even if it is only for 12 people.

And Quint, thanks for reminding Daichi of who I am!
Mitu
Lulu

Post by Mitu »

I greatly enjoyed myself at the MSM camp, and feel like I've learned a lot. Mr. Huff's Fine Arts class was very informative, and I felt that Ms. Heckert's Biology and Chem classes were pretty good as well. The only qualm I had with Chem was that it could have been a bit more challenging in terms of learning actual Chem theory etc.
Logistics-wise, everything was run smoothly and efficiently and and stuck to the provided schedule.
Another great thing was being able to play with such talented players from all across the country. Being from Minnesota, out of state play doesn't really happen for us until Nationals, so it was a good experience.
Mitu Ramgopal
Wayzata '08
Andrew from jc
Wakka

Post by Andrew from jc »

At presbytarian there was 10 people in each of the finals. Dorman i would say had the most kids in each finalsbut thats not so surprising since the campus was 30 miles away from Dorman's high school.
jrbarry
Tidus

Post by jrbarry »

We received lots of constructive ideas for future camps in our evaluation forms from this year's three camps. In our 14 years of sponsoring camps, ACE has changed procedures every year based on constructive input from campers and staff members. 2008 will be no different.

I will say this about the three sets of practice questions we used at camp this year: all three sets were composed of pyramid-style tossups. One set was relatively short tossups and two sets were longer tossups. Some campers simply are not used to the 1990s-style tossups we used this year. I understand that, but know that we are limited as to what we can use at camp because so many of the current sources of good questions cannot be used since so many players hear them during the year. Finding questions that will be unfamiliar to all campers to use in 5 hours of practices is not an easy task.
Quizbowler123
Lulu

Post by Quizbowler123 »

What were the results of the major specific tournaments at MSM?
kCobain911
Lulu

Post by kCobain911 »

Mr. Roundtree did a great job with his class. How much I remember is a different matter.
BroNi
Rikku

Post by BroNi »

Don't know if anyone noticed, but the ACE website posted that most of the results from MSM is missing and that they would like some help so that they can update their site. I sent them the material that was posted earlier in this thread. Anyone else help out with additional info?