Illinois '07-'08

Dormant threads from the high school sections are preserved here.
Tegan
Coach of AHAN Jr.

Re: IHSSBCA Late November Coaches Poll

Post by Tegan »

Matt Bardoe wrote:There seems to be strong support for Number 1 teams in both classes.

Class A (small schools) total pts mentions # of #1
1. Petersburg PORTA 29 3 2
2. Byron 19 3 0
2. Chicago Latin 19 3 1
This will drive the odds down on Latin, meaning, along with putting money on USC to cream the Illini in Pasadena, it is among the best bets you can make in Vegas these days. Going with a classics theme I boxed the Trojans and the Romans.
Irreligion in Bangladesh
Auron

Post by Irreligion in Bangladesh »

OK, full results are up and posted in the tournament thread.

http://www.hsquizbowl.org/phpBB2/viewto ... 4434#64434

Caleb - it's great to see that you've found the boards. Welcome! You were agonizingly close to making all-tournament - one tossup away. :( Hopefully next year, it'll be better weather and we can finish the tourney.
the return of AHAN
Auron

Post by the return of AHAN »

David Riley wrote:Results of the Loyola Middle School Tournament

1. Holy Cross (Deerfield)
2. Lincoln (Park Ridge)
3. St. Emily (Chicago)
4. St. Juliana (Chicago)
After getting drubbed in their first couple of trips to the Barrington Invitational, Holy Cross has gotten progressively better, losing to Rockford West (Auburn) in the consolation championship last year, 225-194. Good for Mrs. Schlax (I assume she's still the coach, right?)!
Jeff Price
Barrington High School Coach (2021 & 2023 HSNCT Champions, 2023 PACE Champions, 2023 Illinois Masonic Bowl Class 3A State Champions)
Barrington Station Middle School Coach (2013 MSNCT Champions, 2013 & 2017 Illinois Class AA State Champions)
------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Trevkeeper
Tidus

Post by Trevkeeper »

Does Holy Cross have that 8th grader that is essentially their entire team? I remember moderating for them last year, and I think she was a 7th grader. She was very, very good.
the return of AHAN
Auron

BarringtonJP wrote:Carmel Frosh/Soph Results (12/1/07)....
[34 Teams]
1.) Chicago Latin
2.) Barrington -A
3.) Palatine Fremd -A
4.) Arlington Heights St. Viator -A
COMPLETE Results of the Carmel Tourney...
VARSITY (42 TEAMS)
1.) Lincolnshire Stevenson (200-115)
2.) Chicago Latin
3.) Libertyville (170-135)
4.) Stevenson/Palatine

quarterfinal scores:
Lincolnshire Stevenson 225 - Oak Park Fenwick A 110
Chicago Latin 265 - Palatine 130
Libertyville 335 - Mundelein Carmel A 60
Stevenson/Palatine 150 - Wheaton Warrenville South A 145

semifinal scores:
Lincolnshire Stevenson 265 - Stevenson/Palatine 50
Chicago Latin 195 - Libertyville 155
NOTE: Wheaton North and IMSA qualified for the afternoon rounds but left early due to weather concerns.

FROSH/SOPH (34 TEAMS)
1.) Chicago Latin (145-70)
2.) Barrington A
3.) Palatine Fremd A (135-90)
4.) Arlington Heights St. Viator A

quarterfinal scores:
Palatine Fremd A 200 - Libertyville 75
Barrington A 135 - Stevenson 60
Arlington Hts St. Viator A 150 - Mundelein Carmel A 90
Chicago Latin 125 - Mundelein 85

semfinal scores:
Barrington A 235 - Palatine Fremd A 115
Chicago Latin 190 - Arlington Hts St. Viator 90
Jeff Price
Barrington High School Coach (2021 & 2023 HSNCT Champions, 2023 PACE Champions, 2023 Illinois Masonic Bowl Class 3A State Champions)
Barrington Station Middle School Coach (2013 MSNCT Champions, 2013 & 2017 Illinois Class AA State Champions)
mlaird
Tidus

Post by mlaird »

So I heard Jeff Price mention something about being too tired to go to school today:

http://chicagoist.com/2007/12/04/the_wheels_on_t.php
the return of AHAN
Auron

mlaird wrote:So I heard Jeff Price mention something about being too tired to go to school today:

http://chicagoist.com/2007/12/04/the_wheels_on_t.php
:razz: You can imagine my surprise when my phone went off with the automated 'school closed' message previously reserved for snow days. My 4-year-old, who loves attending the Early Childhood Center, had a tough time trying to understand how the buses got 'broken'. I didn't have the heart to tell him. He'll learn soon enough about the various sociopaths out there without me laying it bare for him before kindergarten! On the bright side, he went to my classroom with me and was taking a keen interest in the "Pi" chart on the wall, reciting the digits out loud and kept asking if there was a pattern. :shock:
[/personal side story]
I am just thankful this didn't happen next Tuesday when we have a varsity/F-S quad meet in Schaumburg!
Jeff Price
Trevkeeper
Tidus

Post by Trevkeeper »

A better headline would have been "Buses get Trotsky Treatment."
leapfrog314
Wakka

Post by leapfrog314 »

Or conversely, perhaps Trotsky was deflated?
Captain Sinico
Auron

Post by Captain Sinico »

Trotsky was killed with an ice axe, gentlemen; not an ice pick.

MaS
Mike Sorice
Former Coach, Centennial High School of Champaign, IL (2014-2020) & Team Illinois (2016-2018)
Alumnus, Illinois ABT (2000-2002; 2003-2009) & Fenwick Scholastic Bowl (1999-2000)
Member, ACF (Emeritus), IHSSBCA, & PACE
JackGlerum
Tidus

Post by JackGlerum »

Any varsity teams playing this weekend?
JIrving
Lulu

Post by JIrving »

Not WN.
Stained Diviner
Auron

Post by Stained Diviner »

David Reinstein
Head Writer and Editor for Scobol Solo, Masonics, and IESA; TD for Scobol Solo and Reinstein Varsity; IHSSBCA Board Member; IHSSBCA Chair (2004-2014); PACE President (2016-2018)
the return of AHAN
Auron

The Road Warriors

Ee gad. Check out the geographical spread of the Bradley-Bourbonnais sectional... Streator/Ottawa to the south suburbs of Chicago down to Champaign and Decatur?

NEW TOPIC: Driving 100 to 150 miles (one-way) to play in a single-eimination scholastic bowl tournament. Discuss.
Jeff Price
Stained Diviner
Auron

The Sectionals are round robin. Regionals are single-elimination, but the drives are generally shorter. The big problem is seeding meetings, which take place on weeknights. Most coaches won't drive far to get to a seeding meeting, which is one reason that attendance at them is low.

Teams around Champaign were once placed in the Carbondale Sectional, which is an even farther drive than Bradley (which is also pretty bad). There is no good way to divide schools into Sectionals with approximately the same number of teams without making some people go a long way.
David Reinstein
Head Writer and Editor for Scobol Solo, Masonics, and IESA; TD for Scobol Solo and Reinstein Varsity; IHSSBCA Board Member; IHSSBCA Chair (2004-2014); PACE President (2016-2018)
Irreligion in Bangladesh
Auron

You want geographic fairness? Take one of those Chicago sectionals away. :)

Seriously though, there are enough issues with the current system to throw the whole thing away. The question is, are we on schedule yet for our annual "Screw the IHSA" conversation, or does that usually wait until second semester?
STPickrell
Auron

Re: The Road Warriors

Post by STPickrell »

BarringtonJP wrote:
Ee gad. Check out the geographical spread of the Bradley-Bourbonnais sectional... Streator/Ottawa to the south suburbs of Chicago down to Champaign and Decatur?

NEW TOPIC: Driving 100 to 150 miles (one-way) to play in a single-eimination scholastic bowl tournament. Discuss.
The Northwest Region of VHSL extends from the suburbs of Washington DC down to Roanoke down to Danville (on the VA/NC state line). Region B of the VHSL does much the same thing.

Plus, this is done in every sport (not just Scholastic Bowl).

On the flip side, people don't sit around breathlessly waiting for what district/region they are assigned to. Instead, we have mega-arguments every two years about doing who goes where.

Also, it's really weird. I remember the first year I helped at the VHSL state tournament. One team went two and out, and I expressed some condolence at them traveling five hours to play two games. They seemed happy to be there and didn't have an interest in playing a round robin.

I can see people not wanting to play more than 4 full-length IHSA matches on a school night, or maybe 7-8 IHSA matches on a Saturday. Would people be interested in playing a sub-region round-robin and then a region round-robin?
the return of AHAN
Auron

I'm aware of the IHSA format of round-robin sectionals (on a Saturday, which is nice), but don't they split up teams into regionals based on top 8 seeds, with the highest seeds getting the first chance to host?

Excerpt fromIHSA Terms & Conditions (emphasis added to point out contradicting procedures):
The opportunity to host a regional will be
offered first to the top four (4) teams in each
Sectional.
If the top team is unwilling to host a
Regional, the hosting opportunity will pass to
the next highest seed until all teams are given
an opportunity to host.
12. Regionals that do not have a
host will be cancelled. Do not leave the
seeding meeting without identifying four (4)
hosts. Geography should be considered when
selecting Regional host sites.

:w-hat: ???
My point being if the top 4 teams are all from the Chicago burbs, and they offer to host, won't Danville, Decatur, and Champaign schools all have to travel quite a distance just for regionals? (aside: If that's the case and I'm a coach in that region, I'm caucusing before the seeding meeting with my neighbors to insure the best team from east-central IL, that's also willing to host, gets a bloc of votes) If I'm wrong, David, please set me straight, this being my first year of being more than an observer in IHSA scholastic bowl, so I may simply be out of my depth in initiating this discussion.
Jeff Price
Stained Diviner
Auron

You are correct in one sense: If the top four teams are all close together, and they all want to host, then many of the other teams will be in a bad position. Hopefully, one or two of them can be convinced not to host to better spread things out, and often that is what happens. In that case, the high seed that doesn't host will have a decent drive, but high seeds often have a first round bye that makes the longer drive more reasonable.

In the case of the Bradley Sectional, I strongly doubt that straight voting would produce all four top seeds from the suburbs. The Dunlap Sectional probably is even more spread out (with Quincy and Bloomington, which are about a three hour drive from each other), but my guess is that they will be able to spread the wealth as well. There will be teams that have to drive over an hour each way to lose one match, but those teams will be in the minority.

There have been years when I have taken out a map to see why the IHSA puts teams in Sectionals that are so far apart. Usually, I find that the IHSA splits things up reasonably given the circumstances. Some schools complain that they have a long drive every year, but often those schools have fewer than ten teams in their class less than an hour away.

There are a handful of Class AA schools in the far South, but not enough to form a Sectional. There are the same number around Springfield and Decatur, and when you combine them there are too many teams for a Sectional. There is also Quincy, which is pretty much isolated from other AA schools. Moline has the same problem in the Northwest.

I'm not saying that the IHSA is perfect or that I couldn't do better, but there are legitimate reasons why the Bradley Sectional looks the way it does.
David Reinstein
the return of AHAN
Auron

And to be sure, the IESA has its share of travel issues and gripes. Exhibit A: Millburn West of Lindenhurst; a Class A school that is placed in a sectional where the nearest school is 2 hours away, as there are NO other Class A schools in the 6-county area that play scholastic bowl in the IESA. AA schools? Got 'em in spades, though still not as many as you might expect given the sheer volume of middle schools in Chicagoland (i.e. No New Trier feeder schools... now what's up with dat?)
Jeff Price
Tegan
Coach of AHAN Jr.

Post by Tegan »

If things continue, we'll be able to do an "exotic diseases sweeping through New Trier bonus" ..... pertussis, herpes ..... what's next dengue and the Plague?
Tegan
Coach of AHAN Jr.

Post by Tegan »

The IHSA went away from sub-sectionals this year, because the administrator in charge was having too much trouble finding hosts. This is good for the Class AA Chicago area teams who are already close enough, and I think are resentful when one sub-sectional is "easy" and the other has many of the good teams. It makes for longer trips down south, though to be fair: if more schools had been willing to host, it likely would have continued.

The single elimination issue is made difficult by the 30 question rounds. If we had rules similar to the IESA, we might be able to do it. This would require adopting a rule which stops the match the moment it is out of hand .... not because of showing mercy, but to keep things moving. On the other hand, it prevents subbing in at times when the match is over.

There is also the money issue. The IHSA has made it clear, in no uncertain terms: if it costs more money, the answer is no. Going to a round robin in the Regional would mean increasing the rounds for Class A schools ....
mlaird
Tidus

Post by mlaird »

Results from the Davey and Goliath Throwdown II @ Loyola Academy:

1. Stevenson
2. Mundelein
3. Loyola
4. Fremd

Finals:
Stevenson 220 over Mundelein 95
Loyola 192 over Fremd 188

Semis:
Stevenson 170 over Loyola 161
Mundelein ??? over Fremd ???

Quarters:
(1) Fremd 219 over (8) WWS 195
(4) Mundelein 206 over (5) Latin 126
(3) Loyola 296 over (6) Auburn 172
(2) Stevenson 256 over (7) Quincy 194
JackGlerum
Tidus

Post by JackGlerum »

Team list for NTV?
Stained Diviner
Auron

David Reinstein
JackGlerum
Tidus

Post by JackGlerum »

Thanks
Thanks
Thanks
JackGlerum
Tidus

Post by JackGlerum »

Pretty stiff competition, all the heavyweights... thank god NKC isn't coming.
Maxwell Sniffingwell
Auron

Post by Maxwell Sniffingwell »

I suddenly find myself rooting for Rockford Auburn...
JackGlerum
Tidus

Post by JackGlerum »

haha
actoftheapostle
Lulu

Post by actoftheapostle »

cornfused wrote:I suddenly find myself rooting for Rockford Auburn...
Why are you stealing pictures from my facebook?
Michael Jiang
(Rockford Auburn High School 2005-2009)
(Princeton University 2009- )
AKKOLADE
Sin

Post by AKKOLADE »

actoftheapostle wrote:
cornfused wrote:I suddenly find myself rooting for Rockford Auburn...
Why are you stealing pictures from my facebook?
He's an Internet thief.
Fred Morlan
University of Kentucky CoP, 2017
International Quiz Bowl Tournaments, CEO, co-owner
former PACE member, president, etc.
former hsqbrank manager, former NAQT writer & subject editor, former hsqb Administrator/Chief Administrator
Maxwell Sniffingwell
Auron

Actually, one of my (non-quizbowl) friends found that one a while back... if you want me to change it, I will.
Sen. Estes Kefauver (D-TN)
Chairman of Anti-Music Mafia Committee

Post by Sen. Estes Kefauver (D-TN) »

DONT LISTEN TO THEM
Charlie Dees, North Kansas City HS '08
"I won't say more because I know some of you parse everything I say." - Jeremy Gibbs

"At one TJ tournament the neg prize was the Hampshire College ultimate frisbee team (nude) calender featuring one Evan Silberman. In retrospect that could have been a disaster." - Harry White
Jeet
Kimahri

Post by Jeet »

is there something wrong with stealing facebook pictures?
NCRedhawksX
Kimahri

Competitive Tournament @ Naperville Central!

Post by NCRedhawksX »

The deadline to sign up for the First Annual Naperville Central Scholastic Bowl Invitational on Saturday January 12th is rapidly encroaching. Teams such as Oswego, IMSA, Maine East, Naperville North, Wheaton Warrenville-South, and Wheaton North, just to name a few, have already signed up. If you are interested in signing up or want more information, please immeadetly contact Hans Muehsler at [email protected].
Siverus Snape
Rikku

Post by Siverus Snape »

Is it stealing if I take it from myself?
actoftheapostle
Lulu

cornfused wrote:Actually, one of my (non-quizbowl) friends found that one a while back... if you want me to change it, I will.
We have matching pictures now
Keep it please
I think it's funny
If any other people want pictures of Siva:
http://photos-c.ak.facebook.com/photos- ... 6_2769.jpg Siva with a Chanel suit
http://photos-b.ak.facebook.com/photos- ... 5_8395.jpg Siva as Gandhi
Michael Jiang
JackGlerum
Tidus

Post by JackGlerum »

I can see it now, "Sundaram shows up to Solo in Tutu"

Also, I believe we are goin' to the NC Invite.
actoftheapostle
Lulu

JohnGlerum wrote:I can see it now, "Sundaram shows up to Solo in Tutu"

Also, I believe we are goin' to the NC Invite.
It's not a tutu
We were taking pictures for Euro, and we wanted to recreate the Creation of Adam, with Siva being God, so we decided that we wanted somthing that looked like a robe.
I don't know what we were on; we decided a friend's brother's xc tank top+a skirt looked like a robe, but it ended up looking like a Maria Sharapova tennis dress
Michael Jiang
Maxwell Sniffingwell
Auron

Very nice. I expect to see your whole team dressed like this on Saturday.
harpersferry
Wakka

Post by harpersferry »

Woah now. Siva can do what ever he wants in his free time. (Not that there's anything wrong with that) But I draw the line at that uniform. Getting hoodies was enough of a concession.
Maxwell Sniffingwell
Auron

unofficial results from New Trier:

1. Wheaton North
2. Rockford Auburn, wearing pants
3. Maine South
4. Loyola
Tegan
Coach of AHAN Jr.

Post by Tegan »

cornfused wrote:unofficial results from New Trier:

3. Maine South
Reports of their death are, apparently, greatly exaggerated.
JIrving
Lulu

Post by JIrving »

Good tournament today. Kudos to New Trier for a well-run and executed tournament, even though I still dislike that cats question.
JackGlerum
Tidus

Post by JackGlerum »

I personally found the cats bonus to be quite amusing. New Trier and Aegis did a nice job.

In other news, after watching William Shatner do a television ad for World of Warcraft today, I think the world is coming to an end.
mlaird
Tidus

Post by mlaird »

AKKOLADE
Sin

Post by AKKOLADE »

Mr. T's commercial > Shatner's
Fred Morlan
former hsqbrank manager, former NAQT writer & subject editor, former hsqb Administrator/Chief Administrator
Tegan
Coach of AHAN Jr.

Post by Tegan »

leftsaidfred wrote:Mr. T's commercial > Shatner's
I'll pretend you didn't say that. A phaser is way cooler than 4500 lbs of gold chain anyway. Mr. T once beat up Rocky. Shatner eats Klingons for lunch.

I'm just walking away ..... as the voices in my head are advising me to do .... for now.
AKKOLADE
Sin

Post by AKKOLADE »

Tegan wrote:
leftsaidfred wrote:Mr. T's commercial > Shatner's
I'll pretend you didn't say that. A phaser is way cooler than 4500 lbs of gold chain anyway. Mr. T once beat up Rocky. Shatner eats Klingons for lunch.

I'm just walking away ..... as the voices in my head are advising me to do .... for now.
MAYBE MR T MADE A MOHAWK CLASS

MAYBE MR T IS PRETTY HANDY WITH COMPUTERS AND HACKED INTO THE GAME

HAVE YOU CONSIDERED THAT MR CONDESCENDING COMMERCIAL PRODUCER
Fred Morlan
Irreligion in Bangladesh
Auron

Shatner > Mr. T (mostly on the strength of Billy's seminal album Has Been)

but

Mr. T's WoW commerical >>> Shatner's WoW commercial

Don't lie to yourself, Mr. Egan.