Next Year

Dormant threads from the high school sections are preserved here.
emactruman
Lulu

Next Year

Post by emactruman »

I know it everyone is still looking at Nationals, but what teams look to be strong nationally next year. I plan on using yhis plus results from this field to compile a index of teams that I will invite to a tournament in October.
Gonzagapuma1
Tidus

Post by Gonzagapuma1 »

Well I can really only speak for the dc/metro area but here it goes. TJ is probably the prohibitve favorite as their b team the last few tournamnets has been really good. Whitman is all juniors and one sophomore(aatleast their team at umd) and they should be really good too. RM will probably always contend and their returning two a-teamers and they have one of the best b-teams on the country. MW is a little bit of an enigma as they are graduating their full A team but they are another team that can never be counted out. Gonzaga(we) are graduating Ted but I think we'll still be decent with me probly taking over as captain. WJ should be very good with daichi improving. hhhmmm who else... gds loses 3 of their a-teamers but return ian so they should be pretty good. can't really think of any other team next year that will be a contender at most pyramidal tournaments but there are always surprises.
brownboy79
Rikku

Post by brownboy79 »

Southeast both Dorman and we look fairly good next year. Dorman has 4 Junior starters so they'll be excellent.
quizbowllee
Auron

Post by quizbowllee »

brownboy79 wrote:Southeast both Dorman and we look fairly good next year. Dorman has 4 Junior starters so they'll be excellent.
Both Brindlee Mountain A and B will be back at full strength next year, too. The southeast might finally have a legit shot at a title.

Like Papa said, Dorman will be a beast next year. Also, TJ looks to be reloading as usual.

We'll be able to tell more after nationals this year by looking at what teams do well with returning players.
Matt Weiner
Sin

Post by Matt Weiner »

quizbowllee wrote:Both Brindlee Mountain A and B will be back at full strength next year, too. The southeast might finally have a legit shot at a title.
Dorman won PACE NSC in 2003.
quizbowllee
Auron

Post by quizbowllee »

Matt Weiner wrote:
quizbowllee wrote:Both Brindlee Mountain A and B will be back at full strength next year, too. The southeast might finally have a legit shot at a title.
Dorman won PACE NSC in 2003.
Pardon me, I should have said "the southeast might finally have a legit shot at the title again."
Stained Diviner
Auron

Post by Stained Diviner »

In Illinois, Rockford Auburn and Wheaton North were both elite teams this year and have their core returning next year. They haven't played teams outside Illinois yet, but they will be at NAQT next week.
Sen. Estes Kefauver (D-TN)
Chairman of Anti-Music Mafia Committee

Post by Sen. Estes Kefauver (D-TN) »

At NKC, we're returning me, Brandon, and Grant, and have an upcoming sophomore who just joined a couple months ago and played at 2 tournaments when others were missing, and for having barely practiced he still got some stuff in, so if he does it next year I think we will be doing as well as we did this year.

Other Missouri teams -
Savannah is returning their best player/captain Terin and one other decent player named Zach, but are losing a lot of really strong contributors, so we'llsee what happens with them. Liberty's losing every A team member this year, but are moving up 2 very very strong JV players, so I expect them to stay good.
I dunno about other major teams here.
Charlie Dees, North Kansas City HS '08
"I won't say more because I know some of you parse everything I say." - Jeremy Gibbs

"At one TJ tournament the neg prize was the Hampshire College ultimate frisbee team (nude) calender featuring one Evan Silberman. In retrospect that could have been a disaster." - Harry White
Stat Boy
Rikku

Post by Stat Boy »

I think TJ will be the team to beat next year in the DC area. The one tournament where we were able to beat their A-team this year (UVA in the spring), they were all seniors, and we we proceeded to lose to their B-team. The next time we played them (at WJ) we got beaten soundly by their A-team (with juniors on it).
Adam Marshall,
Walt Whitman '08
Colby '12

Yeah, their B team beating Maggie Walker is pretty amazing.
"I won't say more because I know some of you parse everything I say." - Jeremy Gibbs

"At one TJ tournament the neg prize was the Hampshire College ultimate frisbee team (nude) calender featuring one Evan Silberman. In retrospect that could have been a disaster." - Harry White
BuzzerZen
Auron

Post by BuzzerZen »

For the record, the number of seniors on TJ's team overall (2) precludes a full team from being formed from their number.
Evan Silberman
Hampshire College 07F

How are you actually reading one of my posts?
Lapego1
Tidus

Post by Lapego1 »

TJ's A team that lost by a one-question margin to both Dorman and us (MW) at VCU's PACE tournament wasn't even at full strength. One of their best players (who was responsible for our loss to them at UVA) is a sophomore and most of their strength this year comes from a junior class (save a couple of seniors).
aestheteboy
Tidus

Post by aestheteboy »

For DC area, I'd imagine that there will be a big gap between TJ, RM, Whitman and the other teams. I'm not sure if any one the three would be much better than the others. I'm particularly excited to see whether or not my prediction that Whitman will be one of the very best in the nation turns out to be true.
Dorman and SC, of course, would probably be just as good as those three if they come.
gonzagaeagleahy
Wakka

Post by gonzagaeagleahy »

My prognostication is that Whitman will be the team-to-beat in the DC-Metropolitan area, followed by TJ and RM. However, Gonzaga, WJ, and of course Maggie Walker, will all also be strong and the other 3 main teams better watch out. I also believe that Gonzaga's B-Team will be, not particularly strong, but stronger than they were this year due to several returning seniors.
Gonzagapuma1
Tidus

Post by Gonzagapuma1 »

I agree with the dancing chicken.
Kyle
Auron

Post by Kyle »

Lakeside returns half of the team that got 9th in the King Country regional Washington Knowledge Bowl tournament. Sigh.
Bigfoot isn't the pr
Wakka

Post by Bigfoot isn't the pr »

Charter A team will be loosing one senior who is the weakest member on that team (I know that, cause its me) and we will be loosing almost all of our of our B-Team. There aren't many Juniors on the team but our sophmores will fill their spot.
Rob Poirier
CSW 07'
President of University of Delaware Academic Competition Club
Howard
Tidus

Post by Howard »

gonzagaeagleahy wrote:...due to several returning seniors.
We've often joked about returning some seniors, but we never actually did it!
John Gilbert
Coach, Howard High School Academic Team
Ellicott City, MD

"John Gilbert is a quiz bowl god" -- leftsaidfred
jrbarry
Tidus

Post by jrbarry »

While I would agree that Lee knows what's going on in quiz bowl in the Southeast, I can assure whoever cares that SE teams contend every year at nationals and always have. 2008 will be no exception.
The Time Keeper
Auron

Post by The Time Keeper »

jrbarry wrote:While I would agree that Lee knows what's going on in quiz bowl in the Southeast, I can assure whoever cares that SE teams contend every year at nationals and always have. 2008 will be no exception.
I don't think it's a matter of people ever counting out the Southeast, I just think that 2008 looks to be a year when a Southeastern team (specifically Dorman, given the apparent number of juniors on an already good team) has an excellent shot to win or at least go deeper at one or both nationals than any team from the region has in the last three or so years. I don't think anyone would disagree that the top 15 at either national is going to have a healthy amount of Southeastern teams in any given year.
SHP Pirate
Rikku

Next year(s)

Post by SHP Pirate »

I think that any discussion of next year and beyond must include Kellenberg. I have seen them play and even read for them several times this year. Considering that their team is comprised of 8th-10th graders, I think that they will be worth watching for at least the next three years. (In addition ... they are all good kids!)
quizbowllee
Auron

Post by quizbowllee »

jrbarry wrote:While I would agree that Lee knows what's going on in quiz bowl in the Southeast, I can assure whoever cares that SE teams contend every year at nationals and always have. 2008 will be no exception.
Right. I was referring to the fact that we could realistically have more than half of the top ten be from the Southeast next year.
jbarnes112358
Tidus

Post by jbarnes112358 »

quizbowllee wrote:
Right. I was referring to the fact that we could realistically have more than half of the top ten be from the Southeast next year.
Define Southeast. What states do you consider part of the southeast?

Moderator: Please delete redundant posts. What the heck did I do?
brownboy79
Rikku

Post by brownboy79 »

Southeast is probable KY, TN, GA, AL, MS, SC, and maybe NC and FL. But Florida never seems to appear in the circuit, and neither does NC. We, Dunbar, plan on returning all of a team that last year (as sophomores) went 6-4 at nationals (missing our second best player), and I think the matches with Dorman next year will be fairly fun, especially considering our records last year and this upcoming year.
Matt Weiner
Sin

Post by Matt Weiner »

brownboy79 wrote:But Florida never seems to appear in the circuit, and neither does NC.
Raleigh Charter won PACE NSC in 2006.
First Chairman
Auron

Post by First Chairman »

Hardee Senior (FL) will play at NSC for the third time this year. We would like to see more Florida teams play of course.

Raleigh Charter and NCSSM appeared at the NSC, with RCHS winning last year. Walter Williams had appeared before. This year Robinson and Cary Academy will compete at NSC. Again, NC is also in a very early building mode. It will take us a while to get more teams involved.
Emil Thomas Chuck, Ph.D.
Founder, PACE
Facebook junkie and unofficial advisor to aspiring health professionals in quiz bowl
---
Pimping Green Tea Ginger Ale (Canada Dry)
brownboy79
Rikku

Post by brownboy79 »

By circuit, I was referring to the run of tournaments in these areas. Dorman, Ezell Harding, Dunbar, Vandy, etc. I didn't mean to say they didn't do well on the national scene, I just think they go to a different set of tournaments than many other schools.
rchschem
Yuna

Post by rchschem »

brownboy79 wrote:By circuit, I was referring to the run of tournaments in these areas. Dorman, Ezell Harding, Dunbar, Vandy, etc.
Robinson (NC) went to Vandy this year. Raleigh Charter finished in the quarters at Dorman this year and won Brookwood last year. By the way, the invisible force field separating KY and NC works both ways. Except that Russell seems to have figured out how to modify their shield harmonics.

Eric
DrakeRQB
Rikku

Post by DrakeRQB »

rchschem wrote:Robinson (NC) went to Vandy this year. Raleigh Charter finished in the quarters at Dorman this year and won Brookwood last year. By the way, the invisible force field separating KY and NC works both ways. Except that Russell seems to have figured out how to modify their shield harmonics.
We were also at Dorman. We're trying to get around more, but N.C. tournaments will always take precedence over out-of-state events - that's why we're not going back to Vanderbilt this coming year. We're looking at Walton and GSAC as possibilities, among others.
Alex Drake
Robinson HS
Concord, N.C.

http://www.robinsonquizbowl.com
brownboy79
Rikku

Post by brownboy79 »

Russell has a good coach who's dedicated to playing oodles of tournaments.
Canadajin
Lulu

Post by Canadajin »

We will be returning two of the people from our A team and our entire B team, if anyone is interested.
nurgles_herald
Lulu

Post by nurgles_herald »

Our A-team next year is really kinda up in the air, at this point. The personal stats for the player "Kaylee" (aka Laura) were greatly deflated at this tournament by the presence of "River" (aka Alison), because they are both very good at literature, though River is, obviously, faster. Don't count Kaylee out, though- she may neg like crazy, but she also knows what she's talking about. If she can reign herself in, she'll be more than capable of keeping State College up there.

We're also returning "Saffron," who I ("Niska") competed with on various questions. Fortunately enough, there's only some overlap between Saffron and Kaylee, so between the two of them, I predict that we'll still be difficult to beat up on, but, as Mrs. Gittings has all ready stated, this year is probably going to be one of the best. The rest of our A-team next year is, presumably, going to be made up of "Zoe" and "Badger," although I believe that this shouldn't be written in stone, because there is another player who did not attend nationals (mostly because he doesn't take KM seriously) that has the ability to play on A, if he works for it.

My money is on TJ for next year, though. The entire B team is sticking around, the very same team that crushed us (as well as its own A-team...). Phil is sticking around- the top scorer on TJA- as well as Keshav, who I can only guess is a strong player, seeing as he managed to keep himself at #151, despite the fact that he was playing with the #59 and #80 players. I know that Walt Whitman is going to be ugly next year, with the whole team returning... but I really think that TJ will prove to be the team to beat.
Last edited by nurgles_herald on Thu May 31, 2007 3:08 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Sir Thopas
Auron

Post by Sir Thopas »

All of us (Hunter) will be back the next 2 years, if anyone cares. More intriguing, though, is looking through the top individuals and seeing lots of non-seniors up there. Next year certainly has the potential for a really strong field.
Stat Boy
Rikku

Post by Stat Boy »

I think "ugly" was a compliment, so thanks for the praise :smile: . If performance in this tournament is an accurate indicator, then it looks like the East Coast will be even stronger next year. We're returning our whole team, TJ is moving up two players on its insanely good B-team, RM is keeping two of its highest scoring players, and Dorman is also returning its whole team. And yes, it is interesting that the top three players (Dallas from MLK, Charlie from NKC, and Guy from Hunter) will all be back next year.
Adam Marshall,
Walt Whitman '08
Colby '12
DumbJaques
Forums Staff: Administrator

Post by DumbJaques »

I've heard pretty substantiated rumors that a certain power-negger from Stuyvesant is coming back as a super senior. Confirm/deny? I could see an all-time record for most aggregate negs at HSNCTs in the near future.

I've heard too, and he was listed as a Junior on NAQT's stats...

Gonzagapuma1
Tidus

Post by Gonzagapuma1 »

I'm not exactly sure but his facebook says he's graduating in '07 so i don't think so.

I think though, that he's modifying and staying in school an extra year. That seems to be a thing out east.

gonzagaeagleahy
Wakka

I'm 94% sure that he won't be returning next year because he is definitely a senior and will most likely not repeat senior year for any reason.
AKKOLADE
Sin

Post by AKKOLADE »

charlieDfromNKC wrote:I think though, that he's modifying and staying in school an extra year. That seems to be a thing out east.
Is he putting racing stripes on his arms or something? I don't know what this 'modifying' thing is.
Sir Thopas
Auron

Post by Sir Thopas »

gonzagaeagleahy wrote:I'm 94% sure that he won't be returning next year because he is definitely a senior and will most likely not repeat senior year for any reason.
Apathy toward school good enough? AFAIK, he is indeed returning.
dyetman89
Wakka

Post by dyetman89 »

Jeez, word travels fast; I can confirm that I shall indeed return. As to the circumstances behind the decision, I would rather keep those to myself for now; suffice to say that I could indeed graduate this year, but have found it much more sensible to do otherwise.

Most aggregate negs at nationals over the course of my high school career is of course at the top of my to-do list; it assumes, however, that my teammates do not kill me first. BTW, Stuyvesant returns three of the four players on its A team.

I haven't given a great deal of thought to this, but just off the top of my head, two teams to beat next year seem to be Dorman and TJ. Dorman returns ~six (?) truly excellent players, and TJ had an outstanding B team that I'm sure will step up.
Doug
Brandeis '17
vcuEvan
Auron

Post by vcuEvan »

I think Dorman returns seven. If they can play every game like that match against RM in the playoffs they will do fine next year. I expect TJ, Whitman, and MLK to be powerful as well.
gonzagaeagleahy
Wakka

I must apologize for my naive comment. Next time I won't post something unless I'm totally sure.
gonzagaeagleahy
Wakka

gonzagaeagleahy wrote:I must apologize for my naive comment. Next time I won't post something unless I'm totally sure.
Actually that's a lie, but I'll try not to.
MLWMathStar
Lulu

Post by MLWMathStar »

Gonzagapuma1 wrote:MW is a little bit of an enigma as they are graduating their full A team but they are another team that can never be counted out.
I'll let you figure out the details yourself next year, but the facts are that we're losing all of our top 4 (who each tower over the rest of our team) and two other members from our B team. We have a lot of work to do if we want to make a formidable showing next season. We'll see what happens.

One personal obstacle is that quiz bowl does not have my first allegiance. My focus is math, which is taking up over two months of my summer this year and preventing me from attending PACE. Other promising members have shown sporadic interest in the club.
Palmer Mebane
Maggie Walker A Team
jbarnes112358
Tidus

Post by jbarnes112358 »

MLWMathStar wrote: Other promising members have shown sporadic interest in the club.
Alas, Palmer is revealing the dirty little secret about our team. The vast majority of our juniors and sophomores lack the interest and dedication necessary to sustain a team at the highest levels of competitiveness. So unless this situation changes drastically, and soon, there could be a big letdown for Maggie Walker next year. Another longer term problem for our program is who will be willing to step in as a sponsor when I retire, and whether he or she will want to do what is necessary to help the team return to the highest levels of competitiveness.

On the bright side, we have a group of current freshmen and possibly incoming freshmen who seem to have the ganas. So maybe in a couple of years we can be contenders again. I believe this year's incredible A-team players were inspired when they were freshmen by their equally great 2004 predecessors. I hope this pattern repeats itself. Sustaining a program at the highest level is difficult, which is why I marvel so at programs like State College, Dorman, TJ, DCC, and others that seem to be there year in and year out.
DumbJaques
Forums Staff: Administrator

Post by DumbJaques »

Alas, Palmer is revealing the dirty little secret about our team.
Hey, someone has to carry on Matt Morrison's traditions, too. . .
jbarnes112358
Tidus

Post by jbarnes112358 »

DumbJaques wrote:
Hey, someone has to carry on Matt Morrison's traditions, too. . .
Perhaps some traditions should be allowed to die. :lol:

Though we do need to keep the Matt Morrisons and Chris Rays involved in quizbowl to keep us all entertained. And I always look forward to Evan "buzzerzen" Silberman's clever witticisms.
segregold
Wakka

Post by segregold »

I'd say for top teams the list looks something like TJ (which hopefully will be better organized so that A Team is no longer run by seniority/Evan's irrational will), Dorman (which is returning all of its top scorers from Nationals) and Whitman (which is returning its full lineup). I hesitate to advance Whitman so high because historically they have not been incredibly strong on NAQT-type questions, but that Indian guy they have now is very good, and you can't argue with a full returned lineup. There was also a team that we (RM A) played in the prelims at Nationals, from the Chicago area, that was mad good. I don't know who they're returning or if they really compete besides Nationals, though.

I know that my own team is returning its two top players, but I think it'll take a few months to smooth the A Team out before we return to national levels of competitiveness.

Does anyone know what State College looks like next year? They were mucho fuerte at Nationals.