Gauging interest in a tournament at Ohio State in the fall

Dormant threads from the high school sections are preserved here.
dxdtdemon
Rikku

Gauging interest in a tournament at Ohio State in the fall

Post by dxdtdemon »

The Ohio State University Academic Team was thinking about hosting a fall warmup HS tournament. The potential date for this would be 10/27/07. We will probably be using the NAQT ISA questions. We would like to get 16-24 teams to show up, as most buildings that would have more rooms available are being used for various functions ever during the weekend since the Student Union is undergoing renovation. Out of state teams are welcome.

BobGHHS
Rikku

Post by BobGHHS »

Jonathan,
You wouldn't get squat from Northeast Ohio on that weekend, mainly because there are two local tournaments going on that usually grab a good handful of teams.

If you did it the last weekend of September, you would get a better turnout, most likely including our team.
Bob Kilner
Kent State '06 - Boise State '10
Former Coach, Garfield Hts (OH) (2001-2008)
Coach, Eastlake North HS (OH) (2015-)

"I'd sooner fail than not be among the greatest." - John Keats

dxdtdemon
Rikku

Post by dxdtdemon »

Given how at OSU, the fall quarter doesn't usually start until about the autumnal equinox, and the football team is playing only five road games this year (one is before OSU classes start), the other reasonable date would be 10/6. I realize the football team is also on the road on 9/29, but if I'm not mistaken, that would be the end of the first week of classes and I'm not sure if the tournament could be organized enough to be on that date. Our advisor, Matt Couch, is apparently somewhat known for having the best-run CBI regionals, and I don't exactly want to soil his tournament-running reputation if there were a bunch of inexperienced volunteers.

MahoningQuizBowler
Rikku

Post by MahoningQuizBowler »

I would be willing to help in any capacity needed.

jrbellas
Lulu

Post by jrbellas »

Based on when the other Ohio events are usually held, October 6th would be a good date, I think. You risk conflicting with CASE's Celebrity Shoot, tournaments at Defiance, Fisher, St. Charles and Tippecanoe if you stray into late October or early November. Late November will also bring you into conflict as well. The earlier the better if you want a decent turnout.

dxdtdemon
Rikku

Post by dxdtdemon »

Well, I definitely know that this tournament could not happen in November since the 3rd and the 10th are days of football home games, and the traffic and such would keep anything useful from happening. The 17th is a road game, but it's Michigan, and I think that no one would volunteer, and the high school students that would be competing would want to see the game, anyway. The 24th is during Thanksgiving weekend. There are also home football games on the 13th and the 20th of October, leaving the available Saturdays during OSU's fall quarter at 9/29, 10/6, 10/27, and 12/1, however 12/1 is the Saturday before finals week. I will be talking with the other people who are trying to plan this tournament tomorrow (Thursday, May 10th), and let them know about this input and any more that may be posted in this thread. I have also found that both 9/29 and 10/6 do not conflict with the Jewish high holy days or the SAT or ACT testing dates.

dxdtdemon
Rikku

Post by dxdtdemon »

Oh, I forgot one thing. MahoningQuizBowler, may I please have you name and email address?

BobGHHS
Rikku

Post by BobGHHS »

I think we're planning on hosting our trash tournament on October 6, btw.
Bob Kilner

MahoningQuizBowler
Rikku

Post by MahoningQuizBowler »

Greg Bossick

g_boss98 [at] yahoo [dot] com

I read for your team at the West Central Regional in 2003.

Matt Weiner
Sin

Post by Matt Weiner »

BobGHHS wrote:I think we're planning on hosting our trash tournament on October 6, btw.
But...you're a high school?

PaladinQB
Wakka

Post by PaladinQB »

The HS trash tournament at Garfield last year had the third largest field of any Ohio tournament I know of in 06-07 (40 teams), and was by most measures a roaring success.

sabine01
Tidus

Post by sabine01 »

Matt Weiner wrote:
BobGHHS wrote:I think we're planning on hosting our trash tournament on October 6, btw.
But...you're a high school?
I wonder why the question...
Didn't Raleigh Charter host a trash tourney within the past year or so?
Tricia Southard Greenstein, MLS
Furman '01 | GWU Staff | Maryland '10

I don't care whose fault this was, just get it sorted! And could someone please bring me something deep fat fried and smothered in chocolate?! ~ Fairy Godmother, "Shrek 2"

BobGHHS
Rikku

Post by BobGHHS »

Yes, ours was a semi-mirror of Raleigh Charter's... Eric let us use the question set and I also added 4 of my own packets to the mix.

Yes Matt, we are a high school... but given that outside of the realm of the top 20 or so teams in Ohio, most teams would prefer pop culture things. Only a few of the top notch teams in Ohio came, but it got more people out and involved, and a few of those "new" teams showed up at other tournaments throughout the year, so I like to think it helped spread the game some.
Bob Kilner