RESULTS: Ohio Academic Competition State Finals (5/5/07)

Dormant threads from the high school sections are preserved here.
BobGHHS
Rikku

RESULTS: Ohio Academic Competition State Finals (5/5/07)

Post by BobGHHS »

Here are the results from the 21st annual OAC State competition.

The regional champions made the draw this morning and here were the groups for the first five rounds...

Red Division

1. Copley
2. Tipp City Tippecanoe
3. Toledo St. John's Jesuit
4. North Canton Hoover
5. Lancaster William V. Fisher Catholic
6. Cincinnati St. Xavier

Blue Division

1. Walnut Hills
2. Boardman
3. Upper Arlington
4. Defiance
5. Mason
6. Garfield Heights

Group Stage -- Red Division

Round 1

Copley 42-39 St. Xavier
Tippecanoe 50-45 Fisher Catholic
Hoover 47-31 St. John's

Round 2

Fisher Catholic 50-46 Copley
Hoover 47-44 Tippecanoe
St. Xavier 47-38 St. John's

Round 3

Hoover 47-45 Copley
Tippecanoe 51-41 St. John's
Fisher Catholic 52-44 St. Xavier

Round 4

Copley 61-30 St. John's
Tippecanoe 46-44 St. Xavier
Fisher Catholic 66-26 Hoover

Round 5

Copley 52-45 Tippecanoe
Fisher Catholic 56-15 St. John's
St. Xavier 35-25 Hoover

Final Standings

1. Fisher Catholic, 4-1
2. Hoover, 3-2
3. Copley, 3-2
4. Tippecanoe, 3-2
5. St. Xavier, 2-3
6. St. John's, 0-5

Hoover advances to semifinals having defeated both Copley and Tippecanoe.

Group Stage -- Blue Division

Round 1

Walnut Hills 55-48 Garfield Heights
Mason 32-24 Boardman
Upper Arlington 47-24 Defiance

Round 2

Mason 48-47 Walnut Hills
Defiance 41-27 Boardman
Garfield Heights 44-29 Upper Arlington

Round 3

Walnut Hills 51-41 Defiance
Upper Arlington 60-24 Boardman
Garfield Heights 61-43 Mason

Round 4

Walnut Hills 59-33 Upper Arlington
Garfield Heights 64-28 Boardman
Mason 45-35 Defiance

Round 5

Walnut Hills 50-19 Boardman
Mason 40-30 Upper Arlington
Garfield Heights 46-21 Defiance

Final Standings

1. Garfield Heights, 4-1
2. Walnut Hills, 4-1
3. Mason, 4-1
4. Upper Arlington, 2-3
5. Defiance, 1-4
6. Boardman, 0-5

The three teams tied at 4-1 finished 1-1 against each other. Garfield Heights scored 263 points overall, followed by Walnut Hills with 262. Mason had 208.

State Semifinals

Garfield Heights 43-32 Hoover
Fisher Catholic 45-44 Walnut Hills

Third Place Match

Hoover 39-36 Walnut Hills

State Final

Garfield Heights 37-33 Fisher Catholic

In the end, we (unexpectedly) got our elusive OAC State Title, having to go through our friends at Fisher to get it. It was a great day of competition which saw no undefeated teams and two of the favorites, Tippecanoe and Copley, unable to escape the bracket of death.
Bob Kilner
Kent State '06 - Boise State '10
Former Coach, Garfield Hts (OH) (2001-08)
Former Coach, Eastlake North HS (OH) (2015-22)

"I'd sooner fail than not be among the greatest." - John Keats
First Chairman
Auron

Post by First Chairman »

Congratulations. And yes... there is much head-shaking about random drawings into brackets like that.
Emil Thomas Chuck, Ph.D.
Founder, PACE
Facebook junkie and unofficial advisor to aspiring health professionals in quiz bowl
---
Pimping Green Tea Ginger Ale (Canada Dry)
DH TTHS
Lulu
Location: about 15 miles north of that joke of a city Dayton, Ohio

Post by DH TTHS »

They won two years ago. And how does she fix it?
Demetrius Haas
THE TIPPECANOE HIGH SCHOOL

This season dedicated in memory of Barbaro and Anna Nichole Smith.

RIP
Byko
Yuna

Post by Byko »

quantumfootball wrote:I'm also glad that no matter how much Sue Korosa fixes the tournament, her team still can't win.
Just a suggestion: be careful about making statements like that, especially without proof (unless you have proof, in which case I'd recommend sharing it discreetly). I would be highly surprised to hear of anything that isn't aboveboard going on.
Dave Bykowski
Furman '00
Michigan '02
PACE 1998-2009
Director, JROTC National Academic Bowl Championship
First Chairman
Auron

Post by First Chairman »

Sue Korosa is the Pat Summitt of OAC format. Just because she has been one of the most successful in that format, one cannot infer that she cheats or fixes the competition. Please withdraw that statement (there's an edit button).
Emil Thomas Chuck, Ph.D.
Founder, PACE
Facebook junkie and unofficial advisor to aspiring health professionals in quiz bowl
---
Pimping Green Tea Ginger Ale (Canada Dry)
PaladinQB
Wakka

Post by PaladinQB »

quantumfootball wrote:I'm also glad that no matter how much Sue Korosa fixes the tournament, her team still can't win. I hope that someone else takes over the OAC soon.
Quoted for nonsenseicalness.

As a member of the OAC, I would appreciate it if you would not spout off about things of which you have little clue. The questions this year were written and edited mostly by Mike Bindis, who is actually linked most closely with Garfield Heights. I can testify that all question writers, editors, and people involved with the OAC, whatever their faults may be, ran an aboveboard championship. If you have any legitimate issues, I can be reached at brianmsaxton <at> hotmail <dot> com.

Thank you and good day.

Brian M. Saxton
sabine01
Tidus

Post by sabine01 »

quantumfootball : I would highly recommend taking a good hard look at rule 8 in the guidelines which reads:
8) The rule on calling people out on behavior at high school tournaments is: don't do it before talking to your coach, don't do it before talking to the TD, don't do it before attempting to resolve the situation elsewhere, don't do it from a new, unfamiliar, or anonymous account, don't do it if you do not have a long record of worthwhile posts about more germane topics, and don't do it unless you are earnestly trying to start a discussion about how to deal with similar behavior in the future. In summary, calling people out for dramatic purposes is not permitted.
Now, Mr. Saxton has just provided you an avenue to lodge your concerns. I would take that opportunity if that statement about Ms. Korosa was a legitimate concern. If it's just a personal swipe, take it elsewhere. It's not acceptable here (at least in the HS section, anyway...)

(Personal Opining: I highly doubt she fixes the tourneys per Mr. Saxton's and Dr. Chuck's posts above -- and from personal knowledge of Sue Korosa as a person partially responsible for giving her the Benjamin Cooper -- Never mind I've been assisting with various HS circuits for almost 10 years now. )
E.T. Chuck wrote:Sue Korosa is the Pat Summitt of OAC format. Just because she has been one of the most successful in that format, one cannot infer that she cheats or fixes the competition. Please withdraw that statement (there's an edit button).
I'll be giving you opportunity to do so. If you do not do so by 8 Eastern on May 9, I'm doing it for you.
Last edited by sabine01 on Wed May 09, 2007 8:13 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Tricia Southard Greenstein, MLS
Furman '01 | GWU Staff | Maryland '10

I don't care whose fault this was, just get it sorted! And could someone please bring me something deep fat fried and smothered in chocolate?! ~ Fairy Godmother, "Shrek 2"
sabine01
Tidus

Post by sabine01 »

8:08 Eastern. True to my word. I have reposted this without the last statement.
quantumfootball wrote: I'd just like to say that I thought that Garfield Heights had deserved a title for a long time, and I'm finally glad they got one.

I don't care whose fault this was, just get it sorted! And could someone please bring me something deep fat fried and smothered in chocolate?! ~ Fairy Godmother, "Shrek 2"
DumbJaques
Forums Staff: Administrator

Post by DumbJaques »

Awesome, now no one will ever know what happened! Please ignore the 10 or so posts directly referencing or actually quoting the statements. Also, please make all subsequent posts in newspeak.
BuzzerZen
Auron

Post by BuzzerZen »

Sue Korosa has always been at war with Eastasia.
Evan Silberman
Hampshire College 07F

How are you actually reading one of my posts?
sabine01
Tidus

Post by sabine01 »

DumbJaques wrote:Awesome, now no one will ever know what happened! Please ignore the 10 or so posts directly referencing or actually quoting the statements. Also, please make all subsequent posts in newspeak.
FYI: 10 is not three-four mentions (including mine).

Tom asked him edit it out as well (Mind you -- after both Byko and Tom had mentioned it... Jeez. As if I'm *Really* covering something up here. :roll: )

Also -- me simply editing it could have been edited back by the OP.

Can't please everyone, I suppose. (And apparently, your form of "wit" is lost on me. )

Now back to the original thread.

DumbJaques
Forums Staff: Administrator

Post by DumbJaques »

FYI: If you're going to try to make annoying nitpicks about what was clearly a jesting comment about the number of posts or whatever, at least get your numbers right. It was 6, counting both your posts. Also, now his post is completely absent, so the thread is just confusing. Except for the fact that his comment was quoted multiple times, providing the quote in its entirety for anyone who'd never seen it before. But it's been long enough now and discussed by enough people that most people aren't exactly going to be ignorant of the comment.

Why you felt the need to take some kind of half-potshot at me here and some other random thread in AHAN aside, the whole act of editing it out is, as you say, pointless for numerous reasons in addition to those I just iterated above. Also, it really only benefits the original idiot who made that comment. Since I've gleaned that he's acting as some kind of representative on the board for OSU, and that he's hosting a hs tournament in OHIO, posting some stupid crap like that is likely to earn him plenty of negative consequences. If you really felt the need to force him to address the comment (which I think should be the goal, I'm curious as to what the goal is now), threaten him with banning or something. We could all use a good banning (hmm. . . maybe I shouldn't have just said that. . .)