a quick question....

Dormant threads from the high school sections are preserved here.
Maxwell Sniffingwell
Auron

a quick question....

Post by Maxwell Sniffingwell »

(quoted from "NAC Discussion", post by DH TTHS: Walnut Hills is going to NAQT nationals(at least I am pretty sure that they are going), and one of their best players is in 8th grade.)

Can 8th-graders play at NAQT HSNCT?
Tegan
Coach of AHAN Jr.

Re: a quick question....

Post by Tegan »

cornfused wrote:(quoted from "NAC Discussion", post by DH TTHS: Walnut Hills is going to NAQT nationals(at least I am pretty sure that they are going), and one of their best players is in 8th grade.)

Can 8th-graders play at NAQT HSNCT?
:twisted:

Don' even go there!
BobGHHS
Rikku

Post by BobGHHS »

We played against that kid earlier in the year, and he is really, really good... Couple that with the fact that I heard he's only 11... its just an amazing story...

We all know :chip: allows anybody practically to play... but HSNCT is quite different than BeallBowl.
Bob Kilner
Kent State '06 - Boise State '10
Former Coach, Garfield Hts (OH) (2001-08)
Former Coach, Eastlake North HS (OH) (2015-22)

"I'd sooner fail than not be among the greatest." - John Keats
Matthew D
Yuna

Post by Matthew D »

If he attends the school, I would say yes due to the fact there is no age requirement posted in the official rules as far as I remember
NoahMinkCHS
Rikku

Post by NoahMinkCHS »

These seem to be the potentially relevant rules from NAQT's Eligibility Rules at http://www.naqt.com/high-school-eligibility.html , with some emphasis added by me. Hope this helps clear things up.
NAQT High School Eligibility Rules wrote: ...
B. 1. Tournaments run according to these Eligibility Rules are open to students in grades K through 12 at all primary and secondary educational institutions. This includes senior high schools, junior high schools, elementary schools, public schools, private schools, religious schools, magnet schools, charter schools, and military academies.
C. 2.A player establishes a student affiliation at an institution for a given competition year by enrolling in an academic term (typically the entire school year) the majority of whose days fall within that competition year.
4. A squad consists of all players permitted to play on teams representing an eligible institution.
a. To be eligible to represent an institution, a player must have an affiliation at an eligible institution.
b. An eligible institution is any accredited primary, secondary school, or home school collective that has registered with NAQT. The squads of such institutions are high school squads (even if the school itself is not conventionally described as a high school).
6. A player may appear for only one high school squad in a given competition year. If a player has or will be eligible to compete on more than one high school squad in a given competition year, the player must choose the squad for which s/he will compete.
7. If a player does not attend a secondary school, s/he may make a request to NAQT to be granted an affiliation with the squad of a secondary school that is reasonably nearby. Such a player would still need to choose between competing for his/her original school and the selected secondary school.
quizbowllee
Auron

Post by quizbowllee »

I've played 7th graders at HSNCT before. It's not illegal.

In fact, this is the first year that there won't be an 8th grader or below on either of Brindlee Mountain's teams at the HSNCT.
DH TTHS
Lulu
Location: about 15 miles north of that joke of a city Dayton, Ohio

Post by DH TTHS »

From Wikipedia

"Walnut Hills High School is a public college-preparatory high school in Cincinnati, Ohio, United States. Operated by the Cincinnati Public Schools, it houses grades seven through twelve and maintains a culturally diverse student body. Newsweek named it the 65th best public high school in America in 2006[1]."

If it houses grades seven through twelve in the same school, then I guess there is no way that it can be considered an issue.
Demetrius Haas
THE TIPPECANOE HIGH SCHOOL

This season dedicated in memory of Barbaro and Anna Nichole Smith.

RIP
Strongside
Rikku

Post by Strongside »

I would like to see a kindergartener at the HSNCT.
Brendan Byrne

Drake University, 2006-2008
University of Minnesota, 2008-2010
First Chairman
Auron

Post by First Chairman »

You probably will see kindergartners there. But I'd like to see them playing games in which R will read.
Emil Thomas Chuck, Ph.D.
Founder, PACE
Facebook junkie and unofficial advisor to aspiring health professionals in quiz bowl
---
Pimping Green Tea Ginger Ale (Canada Dry)
Sir Thopas
Auron

Post by Sir Thopas »

We'll be bringing a 7th grader to HSNCT. She's our math/comp sci person, so none of us will be able to do derivatives except for her, haha. But that's the way the cookie crumbles . . .
NotTheGoose
Kimahri

Post by NotTheGoose »

One of our team members is an eighth grader, and he'll be there. He won first place in the individual stats at the State College tourney.