Southern California 06-07

Dormant threads from the high school sections are preserved here.
cvdwightw
Auron

Southern California 06-07

Post by cvdwightw »

I'm putting this topic here for the few of us with some knowledge of the region to discuss the teams in Southern California.

Based on the data I've seen (TWAIN, CBCT, Trojan Wars) I'd rank these as the top 8, based on what I'd assume is a full strength team:
1. Santa Monica A
2. Arcadia A
3. Rancho Bernardo (A)
4. Torrey Pines (A)
5. Edison A
6. San Dieguito (A)
7. Santa Monica B
8. Hart A

After that, I think there's a relatively large drop-off - teams like Rancho Bernardo B, San Dieguito B, Arcadia B, and Torrey Pines B occasionally look competitive, but I'm assuming that's because they've split their top players across two teams.

Also, teams should come to the PACE Late Spring Tournament at UCLA to get an idea of how they stack up independently of familiarity with the NAQT format.
Byko
Yuna

Post by Byko »

I think you're pretty much right on the order: maybe some slight differences in there. It's close between San Dieguito A and Edison A, but with San Dieguito having beaten them once head-to-head, they get a slight edge in my ratings, though Santa Monica B sits above both of them. Here's my top 10 for SoCal based on those three tournaments (again, any further data would be greatly appreciated):

1. Santa Monica A (by far)
2. Arcadia A
3. Rancho Bernardo A
4. Torrey Pines A
5. Santa Monica B (decent drop-off from #4 to #5)
6. San Dieguito A
7. Edison A
8. La Jolla A
9. Torrey Pines B
10. Hart A

So to go back to a comment from a different thread, I'll correct myself and say that I would expect Santa Monica in the playoffs at HSNCT and would give Arcadia and Rancho Bernardo both a decent chance to get there. Beyond that, I'd be surprised.
Dave Bykowski
Furman '00
Michigan '02
PACE 1998-2009
Director, JROTC National Academic Bowl Championship
bleung
Lulu

Post by bleung »

1. Santa Monica A
2. Torrey Pines A
3. Arcadia A
4. Rancho Bernardo A
5. San Dieguito A
6. Edison A
7. La Jolla A
8. Santa Monica B
9. Torrey Pines B
10. Hart A

Santa Monica can probably match up to their team from last year if they can watch their negs. After that, it's pretty unclear. After having seen Torrey Pines last week at Caltech's NAQT tournament, I think they have a pretty decent chance at making playoffs if they get the questions they want. Torrey did suffer a few really surprising losses at TWAIN, but they did lead in bonus conversion; besides, since then, they haven't lost to anyone not in my top four. Interestingly enough, they are undefeated (2-0) against us but also have been unable to defeat Rancho Bernardo (who we are 2-0 against) in either of their two games. Nevertheless, Torrey's players were able to cover each other knowledge-wise pretty well when we played them (the packet was a bit screwy, but the win margin was pretty big).

Rancho Bernardo isn't bad either. I would not be surprised if they made it, but Jeffrey has bad nerves and so, being that this will be his first year at HSNCT, might not do quite well as he usually does.

As for us, I think we are pretty consistent when it comes to math/science questions, but we've been playing worse and studying less...hopefully we can get our act together before May 26.
ntan
Lulu

Post by ntan »

1. Santa Monica A
2. Torrey Pines A
3. Arcadia A
4. Rancho Bernado A
5. Santa Monica B
6. Edison A
7. San Dieguito A
8. Torrey Pines B
9. Arcadia B
10. Hart A

my list seems to be pretty similar to everyone elses. but i would put Santa Monica B ahead of Edison A because to me, they seem to be a much faster team. i believe that we, Arcadia had a narrow victory over them at USC (wtih 3 players and only 2 regular A team members). Our team B also beat Edison A by a pretty large margin. Torrey Pines A is a pretty fast team although i think their 400 something to 190 victory over us was due in part to the packet distribution (we do better on the math and science questions). i think in that round, they also did not neg. curiously, they only mustered 200ish points against our C team at socal championships. at the moment, i'll have to rank Torrey ahead of us although i think we can beat them. Hart A placed second at our tournament with a narrow victory over Rancho Bernado C, which is unranked. i did not include La Jolla becuase i dont think we've played against them this year. torrey b is also a good team, but their win against us at trojan wars was an error because we actually beat them. as for us, many members of the team have been focusing on sci oly, and as a result our quizbowl ability sorta suffered. good luck to all the teams from socal

who do you think is the best player in socal? imo, has to be either bennett rankin from santa monica or brian from torrey

actually, a lot more stats would be available once uci and caltech post the results from their latest tournaments
Chico the Rainmaker
Wakka

Post by Chico the Rainmaker »

As much as I love Bennett, I'd have to say that Jeffrey from Rancho Bernardo is the best player in the region. The numbers speak for themselves.
James(NotI)
Tufts '10
NotBhan
Rikku

Post by NotBhan »

Out of curiosity, do y'all know of any HS quizbowl teams in the S.F. Valley, or for that matter in L.A. County (besides the couple of teams mentioned above)? I've been tutoring students at various high schools (mostly private schools) in recent months, and none of those schools seems to have any semblance of quizbowl team. Just wondering.

--Raj Dhuwalia, with apologies for any sidetrackery of discussion
"Keep it civil, please." -- Matt Weiner, 6/7/05
cvdwightw
Auron

Post by cvdwightw »

El Camino Real is the only school from the San Fernando Valley that has shown up to a tournament in the past year, as far as I know. Pasadena Poly is the only school I can think of other than the above-mentioned ones that had a program within the past couple years, but I think they graduated the kids that were keeping it together.

As for the rankings, I tended to place more emphasis on regular IS sets (not IS-A) as it seems a lot of teams were bunched on IS-A packets. Obviously, I don't have the firsthand knowledge of the Caltech/other UCI tournaments, so others' assessments may be better based on actually seeing these teams more than once.