Page 1 of 1

College Jeopardy

Posted: Thu Mar 15, 2007 1:19 pm
by rchschem
Will Schultz will be representing Chapel Hill at this year's CJ tournament.

I don't know how he slipped through the screening process.

Eric

Posted: Thu Mar 15, 2007 4:26 pm
by vcuEvan
Sweet. Will is the bomb. One of the nicest quizbowl players ever... and handed Chris Ray his ass.

Posted: Thu Mar 15, 2007 5:59 pm
by Sen. Estes Kefauver (D-TN)
FIGHT FIGHT FIGHT FIGHT

Posted: Thu Mar 15, 2007 6:28 pm
by DumbJaques
The best thing about Will is how classy he is. If he handed you your ass, he wouldn't talk about it. He was just as courteous to me after kicking our asses in the PACE final as he was in a loss. He would never do something like get outbuzzed by someone on the final tossup of a semifinal game and wait 9 months to make some kind of feeble attempt at an insult to him. He also probably wouldn't make a craptacular comeback, but we can't all be all be as nice as Will, can we.

I really do wish Will the best, but I seriously doubt he'll need any well-wishing to win. He has the buzzer speed, knowledge, and patience to win on jeopardy. Also, as to why he "slipped through" the screening, I would imagine he had the genial thing going for him (in addition to all that "knowledge" stuff). Jeopardy does love it when you're genial. I prefer vitriolic hate, but what can you do.

Posted: Fri Mar 16, 2007 4:45 am
by jbarnes112358
iambusyeating wrote:Sweet. Will is the bomb. One of the nicest quizbowl players ever... and handed Chris Ray his ass.
Now. Now. Chris was nice enough to go to that wedding last Saturday, or he might have put you away yet again. Chris and his RM team were better than we were last year, pure and simple. You were only able to eke out one victory against them last year in how many attempts? You made a gallant attempt in the semifinals at PACE, but in the end the better team won. Look on the bright side. Had you managed to pull out that game against Chris and his team, then it would have been YOU to whom Will would have done it. You should get over your acrimony by trying to redirect your animus to present challenges.

I look forward to watching Will compete. Any idea when it will be aired?

Posted: Fri Mar 16, 2007 6:45 am
by vcuEvan
It isn't acrimony at all. When a team is as dominant as RM was last year its good to see the heavy underdog come out with a commanding win, especially if its as deserving a team as RC. Nothing personal at all.

Posted: Fri Mar 16, 2007 7:00 am
by jbarnes112358
iambusyeating wrote: Nothing personal at all.
Good!

Posted: Fri Mar 16, 2007 11:10 am
by rchschem
We don't know the air date yet but will keep you posted.

I am sorry this thread opened up a can of ugly. It seems to me that Will and Chris are somewhat even in ass-handing last year; I remember us being on the receiving end of an unholy beating by Chris and Co. at the fall 2005 TJ tournament. I think RM powered 13 of the first 18 TUs. Mighty.

Eric

Posted: Fri Mar 16, 2007 11:41 am
by Zip Zap Rap Pants
jbarnes112358 wrote:
iambusyeating wrote:Sweet. Will is the bomb. One of the nicest quizbowl players ever... and handed Chris Ray his ass.
Now. Now. Chris was nice enough to go to that wedding last Saturday, or he might have put you away yet again. Chris and his RM team were better than we were last year, pure and simple. You were only able to eke out one victory against them last year in how many attempts? You made a gallant attempt in the semifinals at PACE, but in the end the better team won. Look on the bright side. Had you managed to pull out that game against Chris and his team, then it would have been YOU to whom Will would have done it. You should get over your acrimony by trying to redirect your animus to present challenges.
Everyone knows that Chris handed almost everyone their ass last year, except for the time at the end of the year when Will handed everyone and their brother their asses. Observations of old performances of quizbowl players/schools aren't necessarily a reflection of one's own performance or trash talking. People don't raise hell when Jay Feeley goes on Cold Pizza commenting on every NFL team. Oh well, in part thanks to Leo, perhaps by now I've gotten used to the Adult Swim that is the college game, what with all the "antics," Matt Weiner grudges, and talking smack...

By the way where/when did Will audition/try out for Jeopardy? He didn't make it to HSNCT last year so I'm wondering.

Posted: Fri Mar 16, 2007 12:16 pm
by rchschem
He drove to Nashville and tried out.

Posted: Mon Apr 16, 2007 11:07 am
by rchschem
College Jeopardy Contestants

The shows will air April 30 to May 11.

Eric

Posted: Mon Apr 16, 2007 12:00 pm
by First Chairman
Awesome

Posted: Mon Apr 16, 2007 11:00 pm
by BobGHHS
A couple other former quizbowlers in that group:

Christine Kennedy from Fisher Catholic, Ohio's OAC and Small-school NAQT State Champions in 2006.

Pete Troyan -- Formerly of DCC.

Posted: Tue Apr 17, 2007 1:33 am
by cvdwightw
Ashley Grand played for Torrey Pines last year.

Also, Cliff Galiher may be better known as the "Cliff Gaither" from our ICT team.

This looks like it's going to be one tough group.

Posted: Mon Apr 30, 2007 9:16 pm
by rchschem
Will's prelim show airs Thursday (may 3) wherever the hell you get Jeopardy.

Posted: Thu May 03, 2007 2:07 am
by unnecessarily hot
Elise (from UC Berkeley) plays Quiz Bowl over here, too, though not too recently as she's been busy. Interesting to see all these people on TV that I've crossed paths with on the QB circuit, high school and college.

Posted: Fri May 04, 2007 7:26 pm
by brownboy79
In response to Chris, Jeopardy!does like a person with a healthy measure of sarcasm and hatred in their system. I mean, I have absolutely no kindness in me, let alone geniality.

Posted: Fri May 04, 2007 8:07 pm
by rchschem
brownboy79 wrote:...Jeopardy!does like a person with a healthy measure of sarcasm and hatred in their system.
Watch Will's interview.

Posted: Fri May 04, 2007 8:08 pm
by grapesmoker
brownboy79 wrote:In response to Chris, Jeopardy!does like a person with a healthy measure of sarcasm and hatred in their system. I mean, I have absolutely no kindness in me, let alone geniality.
If only there were some way to tell them about my "intangibles."

Posted: Fri May 04, 2007 9:27 pm
by Wall of Ham
I missed the show. Did he win?

Posted: Fri May 04, 2007 9:50 pm
by Gonzagapuma1
yep

Posted: Sat May 12, 2007 2:04 pm
by wd4gdz
Good job Cliff from UCLA

Posted: Sat May 12, 2007 2:26 pm
by dtaylor4
wd4gdz wrote:Good job Cliff from UCLA
Would this be Cliff Chang by any chance?

Posted: Sat May 12, 2007 3:25 pm
by The Time Keeper
DaGeneral wrote:
wd4gdz wrote:Good job Cliff from UCLA
Would this be Cliff Chang by any chance?
No.