RESULTS: NCOAST (3/24/07) @ Raleigh Charter High School

Dormant threads from the high school sections are preserved here.
rchschem
Yuna

RESULTS: NCOAST (3/24/07) @ Raleigh Charter High School

Post by rchschem »

The NC Open Academic State Tournament (NCOAST) will be held March 24 at Raleigh Charter High School in Raleigh, NC.

The tournament is open to any NC school grades 7-12, public or private. The tournament has two divisions:

JV - grades 7-10
Varsity - grades 9-12

The entry fee is $70 for the first team from any school and $50 for each additional team from a school (No, you may not sign up to bring only additional teams). There is a $10 working buzzer discount.

I will be acting as the TD for the purposes of registration but Patrick King will act in any capacity where judgement is needed, as he has no dog in this hunt . Please contact me if you have questions before the tournament.

Eric Grunden
Raleigh Charter High School
pakman044
Rikku

Post by pakman044 »

Extremely brief results:

Varsity:
1. Raleigh Charter
2. NCSSM A
3. Robinson
3. St. Mary's

The final was Raleigh Charter over NCSSM A, 185-175 (OT).

JV:
1. Raleigh Charter
2. Cardinal Gibbons A
3. Robinson
3. St. Mary's

Full stats should be forthcoming in the next few days.

Patrick King
Last edited by pakman044 on Sat Mar 24, 2007 6:00 pm, edited 1 time in total.
First Chairman
Auron

Post by First Chairman »

Actually JV second went to Cardinal Gibbons A who upset Robinson's JV team in the semifinals.
Emil Thomas Chuck, Ph.D.
Founder, PACE
Facebook junkie and unofficial advisor to aspiring health professionals in quiz bowl
---
Pimping Green Tea Ginger Ale (Canada Dry)
pakman044
Rikku

Post by pakman044 »

Shows how much I remember over short periods of time (I won't bring back the pain of the my major mental mistake of the day). Edited my post to correct.

PK
rchschem
Yuna

Post by rchschem »

Robinson's JV has some great varsity potential. Hopefully my freshmen can keep up with theirs.

Eric
DrakeRQB
Rikku

Post by DrakeRQB »

rchschem wrote:Robinson's JV has some great varsity potential. Hopefully my freshmen can keep up with theirs.

Eric
Thanks for the dap. To be a 9th grader, Jihoon Baek is a beast. He might crack our A team next year if he keeps it up. Allie Russell didn't have a great day today on JV, but she's been playing on our A team as a sophomore all year and has been a major contributor.

On the varsity side for next year, Kevin Munger is enough to build around in order for RCHS to keep it up. We will return our core of John, Gray, and Dorothy for the third straight year so we hope to do some damage.

Major thanks to ETC, Patrick, and Eric for a great day at RCHS.
Alex Drake
Robinson HS
Concord, N.C.

http://www.robinsonquizbowl.com
First Chairman
Auron

Post by First Chairman »

Among the Cardinal Gibbons JV kids: Rachel has a lot of potential that in a few years, she can be very solid. I can't remember the name of her other JV colleague, I think Keith???... anyway, he has upside as well.

To wit, this was the first time that RCHS's varsity team had lost a game at NCOAST, though Katie was not there this time. Unfortunately NCSSM can't go to NSC because of graduation weekend (knowing from last year's schedule at NSC at NCSSM...). Stephen very much showed that he could be part of a conversation for all-state if NCSSM competed more frequently.

I am still looking for nominations before Patrick and I run through the stats after NC State's competition and determine the all-state team.
Emil Thomas Chuck, Ph.D.
Founder, PACE
Facebook junkie and unofficial advisor to aspiring health professionals in quiz bowl
---
Pimping Green Tea Ginger Ale (Canada Dry)
DrakeRQB
Rikku

Post by DrakeRQB »

E.T. Chuck wrote:Stephen very much showed that he could be part of a conversation for all-state if NCSSM competed more frequently.
On the way home, one of my players asked, "Hey Drake, where did HE come from?" in reference to Stephen Lin. I read for NCSSM a couple of times and then saw him play us in the semis. Very, very solid player.
Alex Drake
Robinson HS
Concord, N.C.

http://www.robinsonquizbowl.com
ProsperoSMS
Wakka

Post by ProsperoSMS »

Rachel is a Saint Mary's team member, not a Crusader from Gibbons. She is very good, and I'm definitely proud of my team members from yesterday. Obviously, our varsity team has been built around Nancy, but we've got some strong candidates for keeping things going.
rchschem
Yuna

Post by rchschem »

Complete statistics are up now at

http://www.raleighcharterhs.org/NCATA/tourneys.htm

Enjoy.

Eric
Philip Marschall
Lulu

Post by Philip Marschall »

Where are the stats on that page exactly?
rchschem
Yuna

Post by rchschem »

The web server is intermittently down, so you may not get the page at all. Scroll down to the listing for the tournament and look at the results column. The word "stats" is the link and there is one for both JV and V.

Or at least this is what was up Monday morning before the server went hinky. Keep checking, and as soon as the web server is repaired I'll be able to repost all those files, links, and other corrections I made before the failure.