2007 NAQT HSNCT field announcement

Dormant threads from the high school sections are preserved here.
adg1034
Lulu

2007 NAQT HSNCT field announcement

Post by adg1034 »

http://www.naqt.com/hsnct/2007/field.html

Congrats to all teams that are going.

(And my money's on Eden Prairie A to completely dominate the rest of the field)

EDIT: Sorry, Brendan.
Andrew Guyton
Macalester College (formerly of Chaska High School, MN)
bsmith
Tidus

Post by bsmith »

If Lisgar sends the "A" team they had at my local tournament, it would be 4 people who went to the HSNCT last year. They won't win the tournament, but they should do well.

A Canadian national championship is on the same weekend, though, and Lisgar is a favourite to win that. I'm confused over their choice.
Byko
Yuna

Re: 2007 NAQT HSNCT field announcement

Post by Byko »

adg1034 wrote:http://www.naqt.com/hsnct/2007/field.html

Congrats to all teams that are going.

(And my money's on Eden Prairie A to completely dominate the rest of the field)
Eden Prairie has looked very good statistically in Minnesota--I'd love to see them compete outside the region sometime before HSNCT to make a fair comparison. But I agree--they're going to be a real sleeper team that most of the circuit isn't going to expect to make noise, I think.
Dave Bykowski
Furman '00
Michigan '02
PACE 1998-2009
Director, JROTC National Academic Bowl Championship
klwalton33
Lulu

Thanks for the plug

Post by klwalton33 »

I appreciate Andrew putting a big bulls-eye on our back! :grin:

I'm the coach of the Eden Prairie team and we have had an exciting season to say the least, but I'm not here to say we are going to be favorites at this meet as we have never competed in a national competition before. It'll be fun to see where we stack up, but I certainly like the designation of "sleeper" vs. "a team that will completely dominate the rest of the field."

Just being mentioned in the same breath as some of the traditional powers is pretty exciting, however....
First Chairman
Auron

Post by First Chairman »

Any possibility you'd come to PACE NSC? There just about everyone has a bullseye... :)
Emil Thomas Chuck, Ph.D.
Founder, PACE
Facebook junkie and unofficial advisor to aspiring health professionals in quiz bowl
---
Pimping Green Tea Ginger Ale (Canada Dry)
adg1034
Lulu

Re: Thanks for the plug

Post by adg1034 »

klwalton33 wrote:I appreciate Andrew putting a big bulls-eye on our back! :grin:

I'm the coach of the Eden Prairie team and we have had an exciting season to say the least, but I'm not here to say we are going to be favorites at this meet as we have never competed in a national competition before. It'll be fun to see where we stack up, but I certainly like the designation of "sleeper" vs. "a team that will completely dominate the rest of the field."

Just being mentioned in the same breath as some of the traditional powers is pretty exciting, however....
I wouldn't sell yourself short; not many teams can boast a 960-30 victory in any format. If you guys ever want people to practice against...
Andrew Guyton
Macalester College (formerly of Chaska High School, MN)
First Chairman
Auron

Post by First Chairman »

Geez... aren't there mercy rules in effect? I grant that NSC games have 1000 points possible per match, so you can try to break our records... :grin:
Emil Thomas Chuck, Ph.D.
Founder, PACE
Facebook junkie and unofficial advisor to aspiring health professionals in quiz bowl
---
Pimping Green Tea Ginger Ale (Canada Dry)
vcuEvan
Auron

Post by vcuEvan »

Out of curiosity, how does this format work?
Byko
Yuna

Post by Byko »

iambusyeating wrote:Out of curiosity, how does this format work?
All the information on the league is on http://www.naqt.com/mqba/league/2006. Unfortunately, there isn't a sample packet online (bad link, it appears), which I'd be really interested in seeing.

On top of that, Eden Prairie A put up a 730-0 win in an NAQT game earlier in the year at Saint Olaf's tournament. From my records, they have the two largest margins of victory in the country so far this year. Of course, Michigan's non-NAQT state tournament is yet to occur, and scores along the lines of 1310-130 have happened there before, so this only has limited value.
Dave Bykowski
Furman '00
Michigan '02
PACE 1998-2009
Strongside
Rikku

Post by Strongside »

iambusyeating wrote:Out of curiosity, how does this format work?
The format is outlined under the format section at http://www.naqt.com/mqba/league/2007/announcement.html

The questions this past season were derived from NAQT set 63A, so they are A level questions.

The rounds are timed as outlined at the site and consist of a maximum of 32 tossups. If I remember correctly the first 12 tossups are short tossups with no powers and no bonuses. The next 20 tossups have powers and teams get a bonus for each tossup they get. There are no neg 5s at any time.

The lightning round consists of 10 rapid fire questions with a maximum of 60 seconds to answer. Questions the team doesn't get are asked to the other team in a 30 second bounceback round. Each question is worth 10 points and getting all 10 questions in the lightning round (not the bounceback round) nets the team an additional 10 point bonus.

Here are the standings from the seasons that just concluded.

http://www.naqt.com/mqba/league/2006/20 ... dings.html
Brendan Byrne

Drake University, 2006-2008
University of Minnesota, 2008-2010
Mitu
Lulu

Post by Mitu »

Eden Prairie certainly has done very well over here in MN. They also have a solid B team, so it will be quite interesting to see them at the National level.
Mitu Ramgopal
Wayzata '08
klwalton33
Lulu

Thanks all....

Post by klwalton33 »

I appreciate the kind words about the program. Our school has a lot to pull from (nearly 1000 kids per grade) and it certainly helps having 5 National Merit Scholars involved with the program, but we've never competed in any kind of a national meet so we'll be wide-eyed and a bit green when we get there, I can imagine.

Brendan, thanks for posting the scoring format and standings. We just completed the State Tournament last week, I don't believe those outcomes have been posted but our team was able to win it all this year, besting St. Anthony 570-370 in the final. We had a scare in the Round of 16, only beating Hill-Murray by 10 points (something like 380-370).

The 960 point round was just one of those rounds... I think they got nearly every tossup and got 15 on a handful of them, but it was all subject matter that was right in our wheelhouse. I think we figured out that there are 1240 points possible in a round, so that also makes the score look a little more impressive.

We're looking forward to being at Nationals this year, should be a fun experience for this program!
Matt Weiner
Sin

Re: Thanks all....

Post by Matt Weiner »

klwalton33 wrote:We're looking forward to being at Nationals this year, should be a fun experience for this program!
As Tom posted, we'd be thrilled to have you at the PACE NSC as well. Good luck at NAQT nationals in any case.
klwalton33
Lulu

Post by klwalton33 »

I know I myself would not be able to go with the team to PACE, but that's not to say we wouldn't be able to make something happen.

I know nothing about PACE though, very sad to say. What would a team need to do to get in?
Matt Weiner
Sin

Post by Matt Weiner »

klwalton33 wrote:I know nothing about PACE though, very sad to say. What would a team need to do to get in?
The new qualification guidelines for this year are here: http://www.hsquizbowl.org/phpBB2/viewtopic.php?t=3100 and the general information about the tournament is here: http://www.hsquizbowl.org/phpBB2/viewtopic.php?t=3633

We are working with the University of Minnesota to put a site for our late spring tournament there, which would be a great opportunity for you to qualify. You could also apply for a wild-card bid right now based on your achievements so far this season.
klwalton33
Lulu

Post by klwalton33 »

Thanks Matt,

I will share this with our team -- much appreciated!
Byko
Yuna

Post by Byko »

Matt Weiner wrote:
klwalton33 wrote:I know nothing about PACE though, very sad to say. What would a team need to do to get in?
The new qualification guidelines for this year are here: http://www.hsquizbowl.org/phpBB2/viewtopic.php?t=3100 and the general information about the tournament is here: http://www.hsquizbowl.org/phpBB2/viewtopic.php?t=3633

We are working with the University of Minnesota to put a site for our late spring tournament there, which would be a great opportunity for you to qualify. You could also apply for a wild-card bid right now based on your achievements so far this season.
Just to bring out another point--a top 4 finish at NAQT Minnesota would also get you automatically qualified. I thought Minnesota had another sort of state quiz bowl tournament (not knowledge bowl--I know there's a difference between the two in Minnesota), and that could also qualify you automatically.
Dave Bykowski
Furman '00
Michigan '02
PACE 1998-2009
klwalton33
Lulu

Post by klwalton33 »

Very cool. Something to look forward to.

Here's a link to the MN State Championship web page with results of the MN State Tournament, for your disposal:

http://www.naqt.com/mqba/league/2006/results.html
David Riley
Auron

Post by David Riley »

Ah, Eden Prairie, a suburb of Edina :grin:

Couldn't resist...lived in Golden Valley for six months in the seventies.
jagluski
Wakka

Post by jagluski »

Just so everyone's aware, this just shows the currently registered teams. There are still several spots available in the field(about 55) for teams who have not yet qualified/registered.
quizbowllee
Auron

Post by quizbowllee »

jagluski wrote:Just so everyone's aware, this just shows the currently registered teams. There are still several spots available in the field(about 55) for teams who have not yet qualified/registered.
Yeah. There are several big teams that are very noticeably absent from this current field.
The Answer
Lulu

Post by The Answer »

This Eden Prarie team sounds incredible. I would like to see them play Dorman A because they have also been very impressive this year.
I'm not a businessman, I'm a business, man
Let me handle my business. -Kanye West
Canadajin
Lulu

Post by Canadajin »

Minnesota seems to be a bit overrepresented at this tournament.
klwalton33
Lulu

Post by klwalton33 »

Hey... MN has always been under-represented until this year, so it'll be a nice change!
Mitu
Lulu

Post by Mitu »

Haha, Wayzata is registering our 3rd qualified team due to unusually high interest...definitely increasing the MN representation lol.
Mitu Ramgopal
Wayzata '08
Auks Ran Ova
Forums Staff: Chief Administrator

Post by Auks Ran Ova »

Wow. I wish MN had seen this level of NAQT involvement the past two years.
Rob Carson
University of Minnesota '11, MCTC '??, BHSU forever
Member, ACF
Member emeritus, PACE
Writer and Editor, NAQT
klwalton33
Lulu

Post by klwalton33 »

Mitu,

When did you guys get a 3rd team qualified? Was it the Mac tournament?

We're looking forward to the Deep Bench tournament... Wayzata should do really well.
Byko
Yuna

Post by Byko »

strifeheart wrote:Wow. I wish MN had seen this level of NAQT involvement the past two years.
Well, from what I've been able to see online, Rob has really kicked it up a notch or two this year in increasing NAQT's exposure in Minnesota, and that can only mean good things for quiz bowl in Minnesota and as a whole.
Dave Bykowski
Furman '00
Michigan '02
PACE 1998-2009
Mitu
Lulu

Post by Mitu »

klwalton33 wrote:Mitu,

When did you guys get a 3rd team qualified? Was it the Mac tournament?
Yep, it was at the Mac tournament (TOMCAT).
Mitu Ramgopal
Wayzata '08