NAQT Help

Dormant threads from the high school sections are preserved here.
rleavitt
Lulu

NAQT Help

Post by rleavitt »

I'm taking my team to a NAQT tournament on the 3rd. The history of Quiz Bowl in Upstate NY has used only fast-paced toss-ups and I'd like to prep them a bit more on NAQT format and rules. I've already gone through the sample questions from the NAQT website. Anyone have any resources/websites of other sample questions?

Thanks!
dtaylor4
Auron

Post by dtaylor4 »

rleavitt
Lulu

Stanford Archive

Post by rleavitt »

I'm familiar with Stanford Archive and typically use the New Trier resources with my teams in practice. Which listings use NAQT format, especially for a high school team?
Matthew D
Yuna

Post by Matthew D »

also don't forget that NAQT has a new high school discount for several sets of questions but the Stanford Archive is a good place to start
theMoMA
Forums Staff: Administrator

Post by theMoMA »

I might even try some of the ACF Fall archive. The questions are longer than NAQT high school and harder, so they'll definately help get you get in the rhythm of longer questions. Another thing I remember from transitioning from mostly Pat's Press short questions to longer NAQT questions was the much vaster literature canon in NAQT. ACF Fall will definately help you get in the swing of hearing more lit and myth questions than you're used to. Looking back, I really wish I had started playing college questions earlier, because they force you to master the high school canon.
DumbJaques

Post by DumbJaques »

If your team has never done NAQT before, do not start reading ACF fall. If you must read from the Stanford archive, use the ones marked "novice" or "juniorbird" (baby hen might be particularly appropriate). It's almost certainly investing in some NAQT practice questions from their website.
theMoMA

Post by theMoMA »

DumbJaques wrote:If your team has never done NAQT before, do not start reading ACF fall. If you must read from the Stanford archive, use the ones marked "novice" or "juniorbird" (baby hen might be particularly appropriate). It's almost certainly investing in some NAQT practice questions from their website.
NAQT practice questions are going to be the best bet, no doubt. Maybe I misrepresented what I was saying. I subscribe to the theory that practice questions can never be too hard or too long because you're always picking up useful tidbits that will help you get questions. The NAQT high school canon and the Fall canon overlap significantly, so chances are a decent portion of what you're hearing will be useful early-question clues. Those are the kinds of clues that you really lack when you play short questions, which puts you at a serious disadvantage to experienced NAQT teams.

I think it's worth a shot, especially if it's too late to get NAQT practice rounds (because it's always best to practice on the type of questions you will be playing...I should have stated that right out instead of just assuming it was a given). If your players hate it, find some juniorbirds. But I don't think you should ever start with the assumption that your team won't be able to handle a certain difficulty or type of question, especially a tournament like Fall where the answers are going to be things that consistently come up in the high school game.
Mike Bentley
Sin

Post by Mike Bentley »

Since I'm probably going to read it on the podcast anyways, here is one of my rounds from our NAQT-like spring high school tournament last year. The distribution is a little different (NAQT has computational math, most notably), and there are not powers in this packet, but for the most part it should be pretty helpful.

Link:

http://www.doc-ent.com/quizbowl/shs06/Mike%201.doc
Mike Bentley
Treasurer, Partnership for Academic Competition Excellence
Adviser, Quizbowl Team at University of Washington
University of Maryland, Class of 2008
rleavitt
Lulu

Thanks!

Post by rleavitt »

Thanks for the link!

Who gets control of the bonuses, or are they treated like toss-ups?
Sen. Estes Kefauver (D-TN)
Chairman of Anti-Music Mafia Committee

Post by Sen. Estes Kefauver (D-TN) »

The team that answers the tossup gets a bonus. Some tournaments allow for incorrect bonus parts to rebound to the next team. Other tournaments have non-rebounding bonuses.
Charlie Dees, North Kansas City HS '08
"I won't say more because I know some of you parse everything I say." - Jeremy Gibbs

"At one TJ tournament the neg prize was the Hampshire College ultimate frisbee team (nude) calender featuring one Evan Silberman. In retrospect that could have been a disaster." - Harry White
Stained Diviner
Auron

Post by Stained Diviner »

I just want to make sure that you have the questions from New Trier Varsity, not just Scobol Solo and Students vs. Faculty.

NAQT has computational math, but it's not a lot--usually one or two tossups per round and at most one bonus. The New Trier questions are based on Illinois rules, so they have a lot of math.
David Reinstein
Head Writer and Editor for Scobol Solo, Masonics, and IESA; TD for Scobol Solo and Reinstein Varsity; IHSSBCA Board Member; IHSSBCA Chair (2004-2014); PACE President (2016-2018)
Howard
Tidus

Post by Howard »

In NAQT tournaments, a bonus question is read to the team that correctly answers the tossup. The other team does not have an opportunity at any part of that question.
John Gilbert
Coach, Howard High School Academic Team
Ellicott City, MD

"John Gilbert is a quiz bowl god" -- leftsaidfred
jrbarry
Tidus

Post by jrbarry »

[size=18]Perhaps in NAQT-sponsored tournaments, bounce-back bonuses are never used. But, I can assure you, many tournaments that use NAQT questions use bouncebacks.[/size]
DumbJaques

Post by DumbJaques »

AHH RUN IT'S BARRYZILLA

jrbarry wrote:[size=18]Perhaps in NAQT-sponsored tournaments, bounce-back bonuses are never used. But, I can assure you, many tournaments that use NAQT questions use bouncebacks.[/size]
I have been to non-NAQT tournaments with non-rebounding bouncebacks. So NAQT sponsoring doesn't always affect it.
"I won't say more because I know some of you parse everything I say." - Jeremy Gibbs

"At one TJ tournament the neg prize was the Hampshire College ultimate frisbee team (nude) calender featuring one Evan Silberman. In retrospect that could have been a disaster." - Harry White

A decent question source for your team to use that I forgot is the Delta Burke Invitational. It is written aimed for new community college players, so the difficulty is about high school level, maybe slightly beyond.