RESULTS! Patriot Games at George Mason University (3/31/07)

Dormant threads from the high school sections are preserved here.
First Chairman
Auron

RESULTS! Patriot Games at George Mason University (3/31/07)

Post by First Chairman »

I know I've sent some feelers out about this. It appears that for the DC area the weekend of March 31 is available, so I would like to see if I could run a tournament .

So this is my challenge: I am looking for a high school or college qb program geographically outside the DC area who might be interested in having their questions played upon in the DC area. Note again, this is the DC area, so the question quality will need to be suitable for the experienced tastes of this circuit (difficulty: regionals, but writing quality: nationals). The game format of standard tossup-bonus is preferred, but we are also accustomed to the It's Ac format, modified Chippy format, and pub quizzes (without the alcohol). [The issue is whether our staff can deal with it.]

Teams from the extended DC area may also be interested in competing (meaning up to NY, down to SC/GA).

We will certainly give you feedback (as constructive as we can) about your questions, and if possible, we will give you a pretty good financial sum for your copyright and effort.

I do not know if the DC area has ever had a F/S tournament, so if they haven't, this may be a great opportunity to start one.
Last edited by First Chairman on Sat Mar 31, 2007 6:10 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Sen. Estes Kefauver (D-TN)
Chairman of Anti-Music Mafia Committee

Post by Sen. Estes Kefauver (D-TN) »

I don't know if you would allow people to submit packets like in ACF, but I would be willing to write a couple of games, although maybe not a whole tournament.

I also copied this onto the Missouri message board incase anyone else there wants to help.
vandyhawk
Tidus

Post by vandyhawk »

Our spring edition of ABC is March 17, and given that we expect a smaller than normal field, we might be interested in this arrangement.

I just realized that I could actually write the whole tournament (I have stuff on my computer that hasn't been used yet). I would write standard pyramidal Tu/Bo and if you are interested my email is charlie16 @ gmail.com
rchschem
Yuna

Post by rchschem »

Since I doubt anyone will come to the RTO from up there, those questions would be fair game. We could easily ratchet up the difficult level a bit to fit that audience. We certainly are familiar with the area.

It's the four corners format, though. Wouldn't that make most teams up there break out in hives?

RTO runs on 3/10, so a clean, edited, field-tested 9 round set could be yours.

Eric

There have been responses from UM-Rolla players and Truman State people who would be interested in pulling together a tournament with a mix of their tournament questions this year and new packets. UMR's Fall had very good questions that would probably fit what you want.
First Chairman
Auron

Patriot Games at George Mason University (3/31/07)

Post by First Chairman »

Patriot Games at George Mason University (Fairfax, VA; 3/31/07)
Preliminary announcement

The University Scholars Program and the office of Student Academic Affairs and Advising announces its intention to host a high school quiz bowl tournament on Saturday, March 31, 2007, on the campus of George Mason University.

The tournament format will be set up such that there will be separate pools of play. One pool will involve teams that have already qualified for PACE or NAQT nationals while the other pool will involve teams that wish to qualify for those high school championship tournaments. Two separate championships will be awarded, and the pool champions will not be playing against each other.

We hope to have a total field featuring between 32 and 48 teams, but at this time there is no fixed number to divide this field into the two major pools (depends on room reservations laughing at the thought). There is no geographic limitation provided that the participating teams have not heard the questions that will be used in this event.

The format will be untimed tossup/bonus, and we will likely use UMR's and/or Vanderbilt's set (allluded to in this thread). But the search for authors continues...

Entry fees:

$60 dollars for the first team of up to 6 players.
$50 dollars for each additional team.
-$10 discount for every buzzer system brought for use.
-$10 discount for every experienced reader or scorekeeper available.
Minimum entry fee per team $40. (We have to determine to whom checks will be written: PACE or George Mason University Scholars Program. Do not mail your checks to us yet.)

This tournament is PACE-affiliated. The winning teams (number depending on eligible field size) in the "Cinderella" bracket will qualify for the 2007 National Scholastics Championship; it is also possible that these teams can request wild-card consideration for the NAQT High School Championship Tournament.

Note: The 2008 PACE National Scholastics Championship is intended to be held in June (2008) at George Mason University.

Experienced readers from the area are more than welcome to help. We will effort to have lunch provided for all staff.

At this time the overall tournament format has not yet been decided (we have to see how many rounds we have and how many rooms we can get before upsetting the registrar). We may opt to do power matching or divisional round robin depending on the final number of teams in each pool. Separate trophies and outstanding player commendations will be awarded.

Schools that have already qualified two teams to a national tournament will be expected to field two teams in the "nationally qualified" pool if they are bringing multiple teams, with the remaining teams playing in the other pool. In the spirit of this setup, we expect that team rosters will be established appropriately to test the student participants. No roster switching is allowed.

We expect to keep individual statistics, but to ensure no roster switching is allowed, we prefer to have the names of the intended teams submitted to us at registration along with aliases they wish to use. Otherwise, every student and coach is expected to conform to the highest expectations of ethical and professional behavior.

Registration
For the time being please declare your intention to participate in this event by posting to this thread at hsquizbowl.org . Please let us know how many teams are competing in the Qualifiers bracket or the QualifyING one. :)

We seek a diverse field and welcome new students, coaches, and programs from various backgrounds. Please notify our staff of any accommodations that may need to be made.

If you are unsure whether you have already qualified for PACE Nationals, refer to the Honor Roll list in the Nationals thread. Confirmation of results will be used to determine eligibility for NAQT's Nationals.
Last edited by First Chairman on Fri Jan 26, 2007 6:36 pm, edited 3 times in total.
Robbie Ram
Wakka

James W. Robinson Jr. Secondary School

Post by Robbie Ram »

We will plan to make the long trek to GMU and bring 1 or 2 teams to this tournament. We would be in the "haven't yet qualified for PACE or NAQT HSNCT" pool.

Thanks,
Robbie Ram
(2 blocks south of GMU in scenic Fairfax, VA)
First Chairman
Auron

Re: James W. Robinson Jr. Secondary School

Post by First Chairman »

Robbie Ram wrote:We will plan to make the long trek to GMU and bring 1 or 2 teams to this tournament. We would be in the "haven't yet qualified for PACE or NAQT HSNCT" pool.

Thanks,
Robbie Ram
(2 blocks south of GMU in scenic Fairfax, VA)
Great! :) Hopefully the CUE buses will still be running frequently. :razz:

Feel free to call the "not yet qualified" group as the "Cinderella" group. Need appropriate code name for the "qualified" group. "David" and "Goliath"... maybe...
Robbie Ram
Wakka

mass email to area academic teams

Post by Robbie Ram »

Dr. Chuck,

I started the ball rolling for you by forwarding a notice of this tournament (via email) to all the VHSL Northern Region teams with a link back to this announcement. If you'd like, I can mine the emails I've gotten from other tournaments in this region this year to send the info & link to other area teams (hopefully with minimal duplication).

Maybe the keepers of the academic team mailing lists at TJ, MWGS, Gonzaga, Hammond HS, UVA and the like can help you out by providing you with their lists (or doing an email "on behalf of" your tournament like I did)... I suspect you need something like that to really get the word out!
STPickrell
Auron

Post by STPickrell »

Whoops. I did the same thing, asking the director of the Northern Region's tournament to forward the announcement. I also sent a notice to the district contacts in other groups within a 2-hour drive of Fairfax.
Robbie Ram
Wakka

Post by Robbie Ram »

StPickrell wrote:Whoops. I did the same thing, asking the director of the Northern Region's tournament to forward the announcement. I also sent a notice to the district contacts in other groups within a 2-hour drive of Fairfax.
Well, great minds think alike, I guess... but that still won't reach the Maryland or DC schools or the private schools, will it? It might still be useful to send something to those groups.
First Chairman
Auron

Post by First Chairman »

I think we have a lot of people from Maryland or DC who can spread the news around too. Plus there is the Gonzaga competition (though I won't be there) where we can make sure people know about it. Besides, let's let the weekend run a bit. :)

The other challenge is making sure I have a clear idea of the campus limit. I'll probably start with the field size at 32 first, then increase as soon as I get verification from the Room Control gods.

We're also planning to send email/mail out to various high schools where we have some contact soon.

In the meantime, Annandale High School wishes to claim a Cinderella spot.
Last edited by First Chairman on Fri Jan 26, 2007 6:32 pm, edited 1 time in total.
STPickrell
Auron

Post by STPickrell »

Robbie Ram wrote:
StPickrell wrote:Whoops. I did the same thing, asking the director of the Northern Region's tournament to forward the announcement. I also sent a notice to the district contacts in other groups within a 2-hour drive of Fairfax.
Well, great minds think alike, I guess... but that still won't reach the Maryland or DC schools or the private schools, will it? It might still be useful to send something to those groups.
Correct. :-) My contacts and influence (hah) pretty much end as soon as the Potomac begins. It'll be nice if some of the Prince William and Loudoun teams start showing up. C.D Hylton had a very good team around 2000.
dawgpound
Kimahri

Post by dawgpound »

Stone Bridge would LOVE to get into this mix. We'll bring one, maybe 2 teams from exotic Loudoun County. Ok, so what now?

-GW
First Chairman
Auron

Post by First Chairman »

dawgpound wrote:Stone Bridge would LOVE to get into this mix. We'll bring one, maybe 2 teams from exotic Loudoun County. Ok, so what now?

-GW
Thanks... I'll do a followup maybe mid-February. I'm running a college comp this weekend so once that's done, I'll work on this tournament.

Mr. Chuck. I got a copy of the 10 rounds from UMR, so once our school unblocks email this afternoon I'll send it to you.
First Chairman
Auron

Post by First Chairman »

Awesome... much appreciated! Vanderbilt may also be interested in sharing questions with you guys, so I'll followup on that.
rkmielec
Kimahri

GMU - Cinderella spot

Post by rkmielec »

Hi,
Lake Braddock would also will try to make the long walk down Braddock Rd to GMU. We would be in the Cinderella division.
Thanks!
First Chairman
Auron

Pre-Registration List

Post by First Chairman »

The following post lists schools who have declared interest.

Nationals bracket
Georgetown Day
Maggie Walker Governor's School (tentative)
Richard Montgomery (tentative)
Thomas Jefferson Sci Math
Walter Johnson

Cinderella bracket
Annandale
Douglas Freeman (1 or 2)
James Robinson
Lake Braddock
Marshall
Stone Bridge
Last edited by First Chairman on Thu Mar 01, 2007 11:35 pm, edited 5 times in total.
Emil Thomas Chuck, Ph.D.
Founder, PACE
Facebook junkie and unofficial advisor to aspiring health professionals in quiz bowl
---
Pimping Green Tea Ginger Ale (Canada Dry)
Frater Taciturnus
Auron

Post by Frater Taciturnus »

What about teams that register for the tournament as "Cinderellas," but between then and the tournament, qualify somewhere else? I guess they would just be shuffled arcoss to the other bracket, but I was hoping for official confirmation that that indeed be the case.

Freeman will probably be sending multiple (2-3) teams, and all will, at this point, be in the "Cinderella" bracket.
Janet Berry
[email protected]
she/they
--------------
J. Sargeant Reynolds CC 2008, 2009, 2014
Virginia Commonwealth 2010, 2011, 2012, 2013,
Douglas Freeman 2005, 2006, 2007
First Chairman
Auron

Post by First Chairman »

Yeah, I'll adjust and shuffle those teams that subsequently qualify.
Emil Thomas Chuck, Ph.D.
Founder, PACE
Facebook junkie and unofficial advisor to aspiring health professionals in quiz bowl
---
dawgpound
Kimahri

Post by dawgpound »

Is this tournament happening? I haven't heard anything in weeks. If I don't request transportation 4 weeks in advance, my teams don't get to go. I can't request a bus if I don't have begin/end times. This is one reason why more Loudoun teams don't compete -- because our County guidelines deter us from events without lots of notice.
First Chairman
Auron

Post by First Chairman »

Ugh... well, my dilemma is that I cannot reserve rooms until I have an idea of how many teams will compete. Reserving rooms will dictate the times for the event usually.

That said, I will expect that our first games will start around 9:30 am, so I would like teams to be present between 8:00 and 9:00 am in the morning. Usually the tournament should end around 5:00 to 6:00 pm depending on eliminations.

[I also have one other tournament whose logistics I'm trying to work out that is just ahead in the priority scale, so after that's done, I'll try to get this one done.]
Emil Thomas Chuck, Ph.D.
Founder, PACE
---
BuzzerZen
Auron

Post by BuzzerZen »

TJ is likely to send at least its A team, and Gov said they would be there at VHSL.
Evan Silberman
Hampshire College 07F

How are you actually reading one of my posts?
aestheteboy
Tidus

Post by aestheteboy »

WJ will most likely attend with one team.
Frater Taciturnus
Auron

Post by Frater Taciturnus »

Douglas Freeman will most likely send 1-2 teams, both of which would be in the "Cinderella"s bracket.
Last edited by Frater Taciturnus on Thu Mar 01, 2007 11:28 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Janet Berry
[email protected]
she/they
--------------
J. Sargeant Reynolds CC 2008, 2009, 2014
Virginia Commonwealth 2010, 2011, 2012, 2013,
Douglas Freeman 2005, 2006, 2007
BuzzerZen
Auron

Post by BuzzerZen »

Correction: TJ will most likely send 8 million teams. Most likely.
Evan Silberman
Hampshire College 07F

First Chairman
Auron

Post by First Chairman »

It would be better if I had 8 million readers... :) or 8 million questions...
Emil Thomas Chuck, Ph.D.
Founder, PACE
---
First Chairman
Auron

Post by First Chairman »

bumping up...

Based on the response so far, I am placing a cap of 32 teams on the field.
Emil Thomas Chuck, Ph.D.
Founder, PACE
---
First Chairman
Auron

Re: Pre-Registration List

Post by First Chairman »

Update 3/6/07

Max total field is 32.

Nationals bracket = 7
Georgetown Day
Gonzaga (1 buzzer)
Maggie Walker Governor's School (tentative)
Thomas Jefferson Sci Tech (2 teams?)
Walter Johnson

Cinderella bracket = 9
Annandale
Douglas Freeman (1 or 2)
Georgetown Day 2nd team
Howard
James Robinson
Lake Braddock
Marshall
Stone Bridge
Last edited by First Chairman on Thu Mar 22, 2007 7:51 am, edited 5 times in total.
Emil Thomas Chuck, Ph.D.
Founder, PACE
---
BuzzerZen
Auron

Post by BuzzerZen »

There's no "Math" in our name, Dr. Chuck. It's TJHSST. Not that it matters much.
Evan Silberman
Hampshire College 07F

First Chairman
Auron

Post by First Chairman »

It's that NCSSM entrainment.
Emil Thomas Chuck, Ph.D.
Founder, PACE
---
BuzzerZen
Auron

Post by BuzzerZen »

Out of curiosity, could we bring 3 teams and field our C team in the cinderella bracket?
Evan Silberman
Hampshire College 07F

First Chairman
Auron

Post by First Chairman »

This is our first year trying this out, so ... yes, I don't see why not.

Of course, I have rights to switch that around to balance "competitiveness" for both brackets (like to be sure I don't have horrible scheduling on one bracket compared to the other).
Last edited by First Chairman on Thu Mar 15, 2007 9:17 am, edited 1 time in total.
Emil Thomas Chuck, Ph.D.
Founder, PACE
---
First Chairman
Auron

Post by First Chairman »

The meeting for March 31 will be held in LECTURE HALL Room 1 beginning around 8:00 am. (Yes, we have a building entitled Lecture Hall on the Fairfax campus.)

As more details are forthcoming, so they shall be posted.
Emil Thomas Chuck, Ph.D.
Founder, PACE
---
First Chairman
Auron

Post by First Chairman »

Update 3/27/07

Max total field is 32. I'm fine with a small size as this is a trial run.

Nationals bracket = 10-11
Georgetown Day
Gonzaga (1 buzzer)
Maggie Walker Governor's School (2)
State College (2 teams)
Thomas Jefferson Sci Tech (2 teams?)
Walter Johnson

Cinderella bracket = 11
Annandale
Douglas Freeman (1 or 2)
Georgetown Day 2nd team
Howard
James Robinson
Lake Braddock
Maggie Walker Governor's School (2)
Marshall
Stone Bridge
Last edited by First Chairman on Tue Mar 27, 2007 1:11 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Emil Thomas Chuck, Ph.D.
Founder, PACE
---
Lapego1
Tidus

Post by Lapego1 »

Is there a limit to how many teams a school may field?
First Chairman
Auron

Post by First Chairman »

I haven't put down a set limit, but the limiting factors are going to be 1) staff and 2) buzzers as usual. It appears that we will have enough rooms.

I suppose most are conventionally going with 2 teams, though TJ may pull in a third... though depending on things... I'd be happy with more help.
Emil Thomas Chuck, Ph.D.
Founder, PACE
---
No Sollositing On Premise
Tidus

Post by No Sollositing On Premise »

As I currently reside approximately 2.5 miles away from the Fairfax campus (I had season tickets to GMU basketball games), I might be available to read if my employer permits it. I'm not 100% sure yet, but I definitely want to if I'm able to.
Mike Sollosi, University of Virginia
First Chairman
Auron

Post by First Chairman »

That would be great if you can do it.

Season tickets to GMU basketball??? Even I don't have those. :wink:
Emil Thomas Chuck, Ph.D.
Founder, PACE
---
Howard
Tidus

Post by Howard »

Since I'll be there with my team, you can just put me down for reading if necessary. We can work out what's best on the 31st.
John Gilbert
Coach, Howard High School Academic Team
Ellicott City, MD

"John Gilbert is a quiz bowl god" -- leftsaidfred
jbarnes112358
Tidus

Post by jbarnes112358 »

Maggie Walker has 4 teams - 2 in each category. Can you accommodate us?
No Sollositing On Premise
Tidus

Post by No Sollositing On Premise »

OK, it looks like I can't make it after all. Couldn't take work off that day. Good luck to all attending (especially my old school - you know who you are).
Mike Sollosi, University of Virginia
First Chairman
Auron

Post by First Chairman »

jbarnes112358 wrote:Maggie Walker has 4 teams - 2 in each category. Can you accommodate us?
Resources pending (meaning buzzers and staff), I can.
Emil Thomas Chuck, Ph.D.
Founder, PACE
---
jbarnes112358
Tidus

Post by jbarnes112358 »

How can we find out whether or not we have heard the questions? Have any tournaments around here used any of them?

When do you anticipate being able to tell us if we can come with 2 + 2 teams.

I need to get my drivers lined up, etc.

An update would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks,

John Barnes
Maggie Walker Governor's School
First Chairman
Auron

Post by First Chairman »

I have questions from University of Missouri Rolla's tournament from the fall and Vanderbilt's questions from two weeks ago. I doubt any Cinderellas have heard these questions, so it's a question of what you big-boys have heard. No one local has used these questions that I am aware of.

If MWGS is bringing 2+2, that puts the field at 10 nationals and 11 Cinderellas. That's fine with me.

At this point, it's too late for me to buy trophies for on-site delivery, but I will likely run straight-up round-robin for both divisions. I have to check my staff to see if we'll do playoffs or break record ties for final standings. I will probably have some trophies to send or give to the top teams in any event.
Emil Thomas Chuck, Ph.D.
Founder, PACE
---
DumbJaques
Forums Staff: Administrator

Post by DumbJaques »

At this point, it's too late for me to buy trophies for on-site delivery, but I will likely run straight-up round-robin for both divisions. I have to check my staff to see if we'll do playoffs or break record ties for final standings. I will probably have some trophies to send or give to the top teams in any event.
All I got was a lousy calendar.
First Chairman
Auron

Post by First Chairman »

And we have more of them! :)
Emil Thomas Chuck, Ph.D.
Founder, PACE
---
First Chairman
Auron

Post by First Chairman »

I want to be sure I have the final count for the tournament.

As it stands, assuming RM is bringing just one team:
10 Nationals
10 Cinderellas

The intended schedule will be full round-robin within each groups, and that's about it. The schedule program I usually like is a bit buggy with these schedules, and so I'm using another program that came up on Wikipedia. The weird bug right now is that one team whether in an even-numbered or odd-numbered division winds up being pinned to one room.

So for what it's worth, I have the copy of the schedule at http://mason.gmu.edu/~echuck/Patriot_Games_schedule.pdf. There are underscores between the words of the PDF file.
Last edited by First Chairman on Tue Mar 27, 2007 2:19 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Emil Thomas Chuck, Ph.D.
Founder, PACE
---