Stock phrases

Dormant threads from the high school sections are preserved here.
theMoMA
Forums Staff: Administrator

Stock phrases

Post by theMoMA »

One wonderful aspect of high school quiz bowl are the buzz words...those stock phrases that are always used to describe one particular thing.

Examples

Fiasco: Bay of Pigs
Strongman: Manuel Noriega/Panama

List your favorites here.
fool_by_compulsion
Lulu

Post by fool_by_compulsion »

Disappointed office-seeker. Charles Guiteau shoots Garfield. I've never seen him described any other way.
The Toad to Wigan Pier
Tidus

Post by The Toad to Wigan Pier »

It shall/will be...(insert vague reference to Fimbulwinter here):Ragnarok
Maxwell Sniffingwell
Auron

Post by Maxwell Sniffingwell »

fool_by_compulsion wrote:Disappointed office-seeker. Charles Guiteau shoots Garfield. I've never seen him described any other way.
In Stephen Sondheim's Assassins, there's a scene where all of the assassins - Booth, Hinckley, Fromme, Czolgosz, Guiteau - try to convince Lee Harvey Oswald to shoot Kennedy. The best part of the scene: each assassin says what history will remember him as if Oswald screws up (i.e. Booth says "vainglorious actor.")

What does Charlie Guiteau say? "Disappointed office-seeker." No joke.
DVader
Wakka

Post by DVader »

Austrian diplomat/foreign minister for Metternich. They never ask for any other Austrian diplomats ever. Painter of voluptuous women for Rubens.
Tegan
Coach of AHAN Jr.

Post by Tegan »

DVader wrote:Austrian diplomat/foreign minister for Metternich.
I could have sworn not too many years in the past hearing a "This Austrian diplomat ...." and having it come up "Waldheim" .....
BuzzerZen
Auron

Post by BuzzerZen »

The word "synonym" in a biographical question is an immediate tip-off for "Quisling." Don't even wait for "...for traitor." Has anyone ever actually heard "Quisling" used to mean "traitor" outside of quiz bowl?
Skepticism and Animal Feed
Auron

Post by Skepticism and Animal Feed »

BuzzerZen wrote:The word "synonym" in a biographical question is an immediate tip-off for "Quisling." Don't even wait for "...for traitor." Has anyone ever actually heard "Quisling" used to mean "traitor" outside of quiz bowl?
It's used mainly by Europeans and by Americans who are trying to sound European, at least in my experience.
STPickrell
Auron

Post by STPickrell »

Bruce wrote:
BuzzerZen wrote:The word "synonym" in a biographical question is an immediate tip-off for "Quisling." Don't even wait for "...for traitor." Has anyone ever actually heard "Quisling" used to mean "traitor" outside of quiz bowl?
It's used mainly by Europeans and by Americans who are trying to sound European, at least in my experience.
I saw it used once in Peanuts when I was 10 or 11. I had to look up what it was.
fool_by_compulsion
Lulu

Post by fool_by_compulsion »

Tegan wrote:
DVader wrote:Austrian diplomat/foreign minister for Metternich.
I could have sworn not too many years in the past hearing a "This Austrian diplomat ...." and having it come up "Waldheim" .....
See, I, on hearing "Austrian diplomat," would be thinking Waldheim long before I thought Metternich, but maybe that's just me.

Any quotation question that begins with a heavily emphasized "There!" by the reader will ALWAYS be Hancock. I learned this very early in my quizbowl career and it has always served me well. :razz:

Strauss and Oscar Wilde in same question --> Salome.
rchschem
Yuna

Post by rchschem »

Then there are the people who preach buzzing in with Brahe as soon as you hear "Danish astronomer" and the codependent question writers who keep reinforcing this.

Tycho...Brahe (my shout out to Gerardo)

Expect a lot of this in the near future:

"Born Leslie..."
MJG
Lulu

Post by MJG »

How about "Norwegian playwright" for Ibsen. And "famous for only writing one book" for Harper Lee, I swear no one need ever know what the book was about, just that it was THE Harper Lee book. Kinda sad. And one of my personal favorites, "this physicist played the bongos" for Richard Feynman.
Stained Diviner
Auron

Post by Stained Diviner »

Trevkeeper's tossup total would go down significantly if it wasn't for an "Italian physicist" named Fermi.
Youse Da Force
Wakka

Post by Youse Da Force »

Um, what about Benedict Arnold? You could get a biographical question about him, and his name is a synonym for traitor.

I have heard Quisling used, in an Irish song.
Tegan
Coach of AHAN Jr.

Post by Tegan »

MJG wrote:And "famous for only writing one book" for Harper Lee, I swear no one need ever know what the book was about, just that it was THE Harper Lee book.
Isn't The Bell Jar Sylvia Plath's only novel? The Picture of Dorian Gray same-same for Oscar Wilde .....I could be wrong here as Lit isn't anywhere close to my speciality ..... but I could have sworn that these might fit here ..... I suppose, depending if I am right on this, it might also depend on the meaning of "book" vs. "novel".
rchschem
Yuna

Post by rchschem »

Choose two of these three words:

Dutch/Jewish/lensgrinder

Eric
swwFCqb
Rikku

Post by swwFCqb »

Isn't The Bell Jar Sylvia Plath's only novel? The Picture of Dorian Gray same-same for Oscar Wilde .....I could be wrong here as Lit isn't anywhere close to my speciality ..... but I could have sworn that these might fit here ..... I suppose, depending if I am right on this, it might also depend on the meaning of "book" vs. "novel".
I think he meant that when they ask about a Harper Lee novel, they're looking for To Kill A Mockingbird. That is what I thought too when I first read his post, but upon closer examination, i think that he meant to say what i just said above. He just phrased it poorly I think.
Irreligion in Bangladesh
Auron

Post by Irreligion in Bangladesh »

swwFCqb wrote:
I think he meant that when they ask about a Harper Lee novel, they're looking for To Kill A Mockingbird. That is what I thought too when I first read his post, but upon closer examination, i think that he meant to say what i just said above. He just phrased it poorly I think.
Sorry to say that I've seen multiple tossups with asking for Lee that state she's famous for just one work. Tegan's correct on the two examples with "only one novel," which does make it ambiguous when saying "one book." I've heard it as "one work," too, which does make it pretty clear that it's Lee.
Stained Diviner
Auron

Post by Stained Diviner »

Margaret Mitchell is famous for just one book.

Personally, I've heard about Harper Lee and Truman Capote being childhood friends more than enough times.
Trevkeeper
Tidus

Post by Trevkeeper »

I swear, I hear the phrase "5 cent philly cigars" every other tournament.
Brian_ECHS
Lulu

Post by Brian_ECHS »

Finnish composer..... Jean Sibelius every time
Djibouti
Wakka

Post by Djibouti »

That applies to many narrow country-occupation relationships: Danish physicist, Danish explorer, Danish astronomer, Polish astronomer, Norwegian playwright, Egyptian author, Chilean poet, Cuban (and Iraqi, Korean, Chilean, etc.) dictator, etc. These are phrases any high school team should recognize immediately IMHO.
Youse Da Force
Wakka

Post by Youse Da Force »

Trickster god- Loki
mentalchocolate
Wakka

Post by mentalchocolate »

Djibouti wrote:
That applies to many narrow country-occupation relationships: Danish physicist, Danish explorer, Danish astronomer, Polish astronomer, Norwegian playwright, Egyptian author, Chilean poet, Cuban (and Iraqi, Korean, Chilean, etc.) dictator, etc. These are phrases any high school team should recognize immediately IMHO.
Be careful with Cuban and Korean dicatator. Yes, Castro is more famous, but Fulgencio Batista also comes up. Also Kim Il-Sung occurs time to time, as well as the obvious, Kim Jong Il.

To add to this list:
Norwegian economist - Veblen
Finnish architect - Saarinen
"exploding shingle factory" - Nude Descending a Staircase No. 2 or (it's creator) Marcel Duchamp
aestheteboy
Tidus

Post by aestheteboy »

Youse Da Force wrote:Trickster god- Loki
There are more than one trickster god that gets asked about.
Last edited by aestheteboy on Mon Feb 05, 2007 9:48 pm, edited 1 time in total.
DumbJaques

Post by DumbJaques »

This whole thread is a giant monument to bad question writing and the ignorance it propagates. I suggest closing it to avoid further tarnishing the name of such visionaries as Kim Il-Sung and Alvar Aalto.

Seriously, close this thread, it sucks.
AKKOLADE
Sin

Post by AKKOLADE »

DumbJaques wrote:This whole thread is a giant monument to bad question writing and the ignorance it propagates. I suggest closing it to avoid further tarnishing the name of such visionaries as Kim Il-Sung and Alvar Aalto.

New stock phrase: 'backseat moderator": Chris Ray

yeaaaaaaaaaah boyeeeeeeeeeeeeee

Really, this thread is fine to me, because it can serve as a 'what clues to avoid using' resource.
Fred Morlan
University of Kentucky CoP, 2017
International Quiz Bowl Tournaments, CEO, co-owner
former PACE member, president, etc.
former hsqbrank manager, former NAQT writer & subject editor, former hsqb Administrator/Chief Administrator
DumbJaques

Post by DumbJaques »

New stock phrase: 'backseat moderator": Chris Ray

yeaaaaaaaaaah boyeeeeeeeeeeeeee

Really, this thread is fine to me, because it can serve as a 'what clues to avoid using' resource.
Touche.

. . . I was going to make a pun about calling shotgun and shotguns and you living in West Virginia, but I'm tired and it appears you've won this round of our great battle of wits.

This thread is hardly of great significance one way or the other. But up until now, it seemed like nobody who didn't already know better was getting the "what clues to avoid using" part, hence the reason for my post.

Maybe I could be an actual mod, then the spirit of flav wouldn't have to haunt me. I hear there's an opening in the forbidden zone, and I have been told I resemble an orangutan.
theMoMA

Post by theMoMA »

DumbJaques wrote:This whole thread is a giant monument to bad question writing and the ignorance it propagates. I suggest closing it to avoid further tarnishing the name of such visionaries as Kim Il-Sung and Alvar Aalto.

I dunno, I think it's wonderful that no one caught onto the sarcasm.
AKKOLADE
Sin

Post by AKKOLADE »

DumbJaques wrote: This thread is hardly of great significance one way or the other. But up until now, it seemed like nobody who didn't already know better was getting the "what clues to avoid using" part, hence the reason for my post.
Well, now we can change that, okay?
DumbJacques wrote: Maybe I could be an actual mod, then the spirit of flav wouldn't have to haunt me. I hear there's an opening in the forbidden zone, and I have been told I resemble an orangutan.
I will let you know when we need simian aid in the future.
Fred Morlan
University of Kentucky CoP, 2017
International Quiz Bowl Tournaments, CEO, co-owner
former PACE member, president, etc.
former hsqbrank manager, former NAQT writer & subject editor, former hsqb Administrator/Chief Administrator
mentalchocolate
Wakka

Post by mentalchocolate »

aestheteboy wrote:
Youse Da Force wrote:Trickster god- Loki
There are more than one trickster god that gets asked about.
True, but when phrased "trickster god", it almost exclusively refers to Loki. If it simply says "trickster", it leaves the realm of possibly open to Anansi or the coyote and perhaps a few others.
Captain Sinico
Auron

Post by Captain Sinico »

Buzzing off of a "this is a trickster god" clue strikes me as more than mildly ironical.

One that I liked in practice recently (off of an old NAQT set) was, like, "this oceanic trench" or "this deep trench in the ocean" or some sequence of clues like that.

MaS
grapesmoker
Sin

Post by grapesmoker »

For future reference, while Veblen may have been of Norwegian extraction, he was definitely an American economist. Upon hearing "Norwegian economist" you should immediately buzz and say "Ragnar Frisch."
Jerry Vinokurov
ex-LJHS, ex-Berkeley, ex-Brown, sorta-ex-CMU
presently: John Jay College Economics
code ape, loud voice, general nuissance
rchschem
Yuna

Post by rchschem »

theMoMA wrote:I dunno, I think it's wonderful that no one caught onto the sarcasm.
Sarcasm is another giveaway clue for Veblen. In addition to "Danish-eating economist."

Eric
Tegan
Coach of AHAN Jr.

Post by Tegan »

ImmaculateDeception wrote: One that I liked in practice recently (off of an old NAQT set) was, like, "this oceanic trench" or "this deep trench in the ocean" or some sequence of clues like that.MaS
Hmmm.....this seems like a non-unique opening that could be a few answers aside from the obvious. I have seen the Puerto Rico, Philippine, and Cayman Trenches come up before. I'm not doubting you, but I am shocked that an NAQT question would open with that and then make the answer "Marianis".