RESULTS: Col. Ebirt Mem. Tourney (3/3/07) @ William & Ma

Dormant threads from the high school sections are preserved here.
Zip Zap Rap Pants
Yuna

RESULTS: Col. Ebirt Mem. Tourney (3/3/07) @ William & Ma

Post by Zip Zap Rap Pants »

The William & Mary Quizbowl Club is pleased to announce the Inaugural Colonel Ebirt Memorial Tournament to be held on campus in Williamsburg, Virginia on March 3rd, 2007. This is an official, untimed 10-tossup half NAQT event using IS-66. Currently the field cap is 32 but I might be able to expand that if more teams are interested. With 32 teams, the top 5 would qualify for NAQT HSNCT and the top 4 would qualify for PACE NSC (Banana Questions...err Dr. Chuck, this is officially affiliated now right?).

There will be 7 preliminary matches (7 rounds guaranteed), hopefully these will be real-time Swiss-paired but I'm waiting on a usable, debugged program to emerge (though I'm confident one will be available by the time of the tournament). In case we can't do Swiss pairing we'll do brackets of 8 and round robin schedules within those brackets. The main playoffs will be a double elimination of 8 teams (selected by record then ppg) which will last 5-6 rounds. This is a round shorter than your usual double elimination of 8 because in round 4 we'll make the last winning bracket team play the lowest seeded losing bracket team, instead of giving two teams a bye round (which doesn't make a lot of sense when you have an even number of total teams remaining). We'll also have a consolation bracket for teams seeded 9-24 after the prelims. This will either be a single elimination bracket or we'll let the Swiss pairing run for two more games for these teams then do a final four.

Here's the fee structure:

$70 base fee per team
-$5 per working buzzer system
-$15 per moderator/scorekeeper
-$10 per team registered early (February 15th or earlier)
-$10 per team traveling from DC, MD, or NC (since I only have exclusivity for VA for IS-66). Also applies for VA teams traveling over 200 miles according to Mapquest.
-$20 per team from beyond VA, MD, NC, or DC

+$20 cancellation fee per team for teams cancelled in March (Thursday or Friday before the tournament)/that don’t show up unless there's a good reason.
+$20 for purchase of IS-66 (paper copy) by teams attending the tournament. Note I can only give one per school.
+$25 for purchase of the questions by a non-attending school

Minimum fee per team (not including question purchase/cancellation fees): $30

To register, send an email to [email protected] (my address), and tell me which of the discounts apply (in terms of travel/# of buzzers/# of helpers), how many teams you’ll be sending, your name, your school's name, and whether you’ll buy a copy of the questions. You can direct any questions you have about the tournament/William & Mary to me through this address as well, or you can also direct questions to our Assistant Tournament Director, Mohammad Torabinejad at [email protected] .

As a note on where we derived the tournament name, Colonel Ebirt was the mascot for Tribe Sports until this year, when he was axed (possibly in an attempt to appease the NCAA in a sort of compromise over the feathers/Tribe logo thing). His name is simply "Tribe" spelled backwards. He was some sort of crossbreed of a frog and a colonial guy, didn't make a lot of sense but everyone in the Tribe community loved him. This tournament pays homage to our lost friend who filled the void that now exists without a mascot, a void that will soon also include the nonexistence of a logo (hence my feather avatar), though we get to keep the Tribe name.

Anyway, if you want a copy of the full invitation, please email me, if I haven't already emailed you. Also, a longer (but not the full) version of the invitation can be found at http://www.geocities.com/wmquizbowl/tournaments , where field updates will likely also be posted. We hope to see you on our wonderful campus in March!

Sincerely,

Matt Morrison

Tournament Director and William & Mary Quizbowl Club Co-President
Zip Zap Rap Pants
Yuna

I'm almost done with the snail-mailing I planned on doing (mostly for Peninsula/VA Beach area teams and Henrico Co. since they have an email spam blocker), just need to get a few more stamps. If anyone who did not receive a full copy of the invitation would like one, please don't hesitate to ask and email me at [email protected].
Encyclopedia Brown
Lulu

Colonel Ebirt Mem. Tournament (3/3/07) @ William & Mary

Post by Encyclopedia Brown »

Will there be advertising at various Regional tournaments, as well as State?
Zip Zap Rap Pants
Yuna

I'll definitely advertise at the State tournament or get somebody to do it if something comes up for me on the 24th; as for districts/regionals, it depends on if there are club members in that area who can hand out invitations. Mohammad has already done some advertising for the New River District (is that what it's called?) in Blacksburg. Also, I might come up with some small half sheet flyers to pass out at Gonzaga's tournament or something. I'm not too concerned with local advertisement since I indeed finished my snail-mailing and covered most of the Eastern Region along with a good deal of AA and A teams in the area.
Zip Zap Rap Pants
Yuna

Okay, I handed out flyers at the Central Region tournament, and MLW supposedly handed out flyers at Gonzaga's tournament (thanks for doing that guys, if indeed you did do it...), so is anybody I haven't heard from pre-this weekend interested besides Freeman? I'd like to get enough schools to justify a field update, but I hope that everyone is simply waiting till the last minute before the early reg. deadline.
Zip Zap Rap Pants
Yuna

[EDIT: Field update/buzzers changed to reflect last early-discount registrations]

Today is the last day for early registration and $10 discounts for teams registered, so anyone who wants to register please email me at mpmorr at wm dot edu before midnight if you want to save el moulah!

Field update as of now (all VA unless otherwise noted):
MLWGSGIS - 5
Trinity - 2
Denbigh - 1
Freeman - 2
State College (PA) - 2
Spotswood - 2
Godwin - 1
TJHSST - 4
Ocean Lakes - 1
Collegiate - 2
Tabb - 1
Clover Hill - 2
Covenant - 1
Walter Johnson (MD) - 1
Total: 27

Expressed interest:
OL Second team?
Tabb Second team?
Kecoughtan?

It looks like we'll have enough buzzers too.

I hope more registrations will gradually come in, but please note that registering early saves me a big headache, because if I have a good idea of the number of teams earlier rather than later, I can reserve more rooms as necessary (right now we have enough for 32). Also, you should to try to register in time to be within the 32 team field cap. The teams allowed in are on a first come, first serve basis in case we have to deny anybody, but I'm hoping we can get over the cap enough to justify me trying to reserve more rooms (like enough for 40), if that makes any sense...
Last edited by Zip Zap Rap Pants on Wed Feb 28, 2007 2:22 pm, edited 5 times in total.
Matt Morrison, William & Mary '10, Tour Guide &c., MA in History '12?

"All the cool people eat mangoes while they smoke blunts and do cannonballs off a trampoline into my hot tub..."
-Matt Weiner

“In beer there is strength,
In wine is wisdom,
In water is germs.”
-Unknown

new email: mpmorr at email dot wm dot edu
Zip Zap Rap Pants
Yuna

By the way so far only one school (SC) has told me they'd be interested in having a copy of the IS-66 questions (which are $20 apiece), with most other schools not saying anything one way or another, so will schools please tell me via email (at my school address) whether or not they'll be purchasing a copy? Thanks.

Also, I hope Princess Anne and the active Virginia Beach/Peninsula schools know about our tournament and are just waiting on registration. I thought my emails and snail-mails covered most of them. It'd be embarassing if we didn't have many local teams, or even if Kecoughtan didn't show up since we have an alumnus from their BoB SE championship team.

"All the cool people eat mangoes while they smoke blunts and do cannonballs off a trampoline into my hot tub..."
-Matt Weiner

In wine is wisdom,
In water is germs.”
-Unknown

olsb25
Wakka

Post by olsb25 »

My coach was supposed to e-mail you today about registration. We should send at least 1 team, maybe 2.
Zip Zap Rap Pants
Yuna

Well I never got an email from your coach, but since I heard from you that OL will at least bring one team, I'll count them in for 1 for now (with the early discount).

-Matt Weiner

In wine is wisdom,
In water is germs.”
-Unknown

Zip Zap Rap Pants
Yuna

Nice, Collegiate confirmed like 7 minutes before midnight!

(and now my incessant and shameless over-posting will abate for a couple weeks now that the early registration rush is over)

-Matt Weiner

In wine is wisdom,
In water is germs.”
-Unknown

Zip Zap Rap Pants
Yuna

Matoaca scratched, I got confirmation that Cave Spring will be elsewhere, Gov. at New Horizons scratched, Clover Hill registered with 2, and Tabb registered with 1-2. So now we're at 24 with 4 more possible. Still hoping to get up to 32, email me with registrations/questions. It's weird that I haven't heard from Princess Anne yet.

Oh and I apologize for this, but it looks like we'll use round robin of brackets of 8 rather than real time Swiss. This is for two reasons: 1) I had to reserve rooms in 3 different buildings, so making teams walk would take up a lot of time. With RR nobody will have to walk b/t rounds. 2) I was relying on MIT debugging the old system Lyric Doshi came up with, but last I heard they were still working on that, so there might not even be a real time Swiss system available to use. Even if they do fix it in time it'll probably come down to the wire, and I'd rather come out and say right now that we're going to use RR.

I do sincerely apologize for this, I know it's way cooler to do Swiss pairing, but for logistical and practical purposes it would be too difficult. Hopefully next year we can do it though. I hope this doesn't influence anybody's decision to register, it's still going to be a great tournament with 7 guaranteed prelim games, an 8 team main playoff bracket, and a 16 team single-elimination consolation bracket, so most teams will play more games. Oh yeah and the neg prizes will be awesome :cool:

-Matt Weiner

In wine is wisdom,
In water is germs.”
-Unknown

aestheteboy
Tidus

Post by aestheteboy »

Matt Morrison wrote:Oh yeah and the neg prizes will be awesome :cool:
Why can I guess it already. coughmattmorrisoncdcough
Matt Weiner
Sin

Post by Matt Weiner »

Hey, where on campus should those of us who are coming in to staff show up, and when should we do it?
Zip Zap Rap Pants
Yuna

UC lobby between 8:30-9:00. I'm going to send out an email to all volunteers (and one to all teams) soon. I'm holding back because I'm waiting on the assistant TD to confirm what our food situation will be. In all likelihood volunteers will be able to eat both breakfast and lunch for free.

-Matt Weiner

In wine is wisdom,
In water is germs.”
-Unknown

Zip Zap Rap Pants
Yuna

aestheteboy wrote:
Matt Morrison wrote:Oh yeah and the neg prizes will be awesome :cool:
Why can I guess it already. coughmattmorrisoncdcough
Sorry, it won't be an autographed CD, but something I bought from a Five Below store instead (and no, it's not my CD, once again...)

-Matt Weiner

In wine is wisdom,
In water is germs.”
-Unknown

jbarnes112358
Tidus

Post by jbarnes112358 »

Matt, when should the competing teams arrive, and where should we meet?
olsb25
Wakka

Post by olsb25 »

We got one of our vice principals to come with us, so OL is a go for Sat.
Zip Zap Rap Pants
Yuna

Final field update unless I get some registrations in the next 12 hours, or someone drops:

MLWGSGIS - 5
Trinity - 2
Denbigh - 1
Freeman - 2
State College (PA) - 2
Spotswood - 2
TJHSST - 3
Ocean Lakes - 1
Collegiate - 2
Tabb - 1
Covenant - 1
Walter Johnson (MD) - 1
Total: 23 + a scab team

Clover Hill and Matoaca dropped awhile ago, and Godwin dropped today, so therefore MLW E is in for the moment, but we'll have to see if anyone else registers today to be sure (since this is the final day). My thanks to MLW for their willingness to have their 5th team be our flex team, it really makes things easier when it comes to brackets/getting an even number.

By the way, even though at one point it looked like we'd at least have 28 teams, this field seems really strong despite the small size. If we stay at 24 there should be a lot of close matches in the prelims. I look forward to such an exciting day.

Finally, as a reminder, anyone who wants to register is still welcome to and can mail me at mpmorr at wm dot edu to sign up. Also, any school in the field who would like to send more teams than these numbers show should mail me by 11:59 pm tonight if possible. Thanks!
Last edited by Zip Zap Rap Pants on Fri Mar 02, 2007 4:32 pm, edited 1 time in total.

-Matt Weiner

In wine is wisdom,
In water is germs.”
-Unknown

BuzzerZen
Auron

Post by BuzzerZen »

So it looks like TJ will be down to 3 teams. :-\ Sorry Matt.
Evan Silberman
Hampshire College 07F

How are you actually reading one of my posts?
Zip Zap Rap Pants
Yuna

Why do you have to go and ruin the space-time fabric like that? Ahh well, if no one else signs up today we can always make a scab team to get to 24.

I heard you guys had model UN going on or something, is that right?

-Matt Weiner

In wine is wisdom,
In water is germs.”
-Unknown

BuzzerZen
Auron

Post by BuzzerZen »

Well, at least three of our players are going to be devoting Saturday to the futile and worthless task of studying for the SAT, which is next Saturday.
Evan Silberman
Hampshire College 07F

Frater Taciturnus
Auron

Post by Frater Taciturnus »

BuzzerZen wrote:Well, at least three of our players are going to be devoting Saturday to the futile and worthless task of studying for the SAT, which is next Saturday.
We lost a few players to that naive cause as well, but we are maintaining our 2 teams.
Janet Berry
[email protected]
she/they
--------------
J. Sargeant Reynolds CC 2008, 2009, 2014
Virginia Commonwealth 2010, 2011, 2012, 2013,
Douglas Freeman 2005, 2006, 2007
Frater Taciturnus
Auron

Matt Morrison wrote:Why do you have to go and ruin the space-time fabric like that? Ahh well, if no one else signs up today we can always make a scab team to get to 24.

I heard you guys had model UN going on or something, is that right?
According to my team, thats actually on the 17th, interfering with U.Va's Cav. Open.
Janet Berry
[email protected]
she/they
--------------
Lapego1
Tidus

Post by Lapego1 »

Since Matt hasn't posted anything yet, I guess I'll post some brief results:
1. Maggie Walker A
2. State College A
3. Maggie Walker B
4. TJ A
also in the top 8, though I don't know where they ended up placing: Walter Johnson, Ocean Lakes, Freeman A, State College B

The finals score was 370-330, and since the playoffs were double elimination, MW A entered with a one game advantage. State College had their only other loss to MW B. The day seemed to drag on a bit since there were 7 prelims and some confusion in playoffs. Overall, though it was a little disorganized, the tournament was well worth the competition. I hope William and Mary continues to run tournaments in the future.
MLWMathStar
Lulu

Post by MLWMathStar »

Good tournament, especially for an inaugural. I haven't played NAQT questions in awhile, good to come back to it. Took a little long, but... :razz:

Minor suggestion: In the double elimination playoffs you had the lowest seed playing the undefeated team in round 4 regardless of who the lowest seed was. What ended up happening was that MW B beat State College A in the first round, then was later beaten twice by our own A team (by over 500 points each time :cry: ), thus making us finish below State College A though our head-to-head performance in playoffs had been better. I'm certainly not arguing for a result change, because my proposed solution would be to have the undefeated team play the lower seed from the losing bracket. This would have made us play State College A again and we would certainly not have pulled a second upset, so the results would not have changed at all. But in the hypothetical case where State College A and Maggie Walker B were substituted for two other teams of about equal skill into this situation, this would have made the final standings a little unfair. (double elimination is supposed to help eliminate these blips)
Palmer Mebane
Maggie Walker A Team
First Chairman
Auron

Post by First Chairman »

Congrats.
Emil Thomas Chuck, Ph.D.
Founder, PACE
Facebook junkie and unofficial advisor to aspiring health professionals in quiz bowl
---
Pimping Green Tea Ginger Ale (Canada Dry)
BuzzerZen
Auron

Post by BuzzerZen »

I'd just like to congratulate the juniors who made up TJ's A team at this tournament for finishing in the top 4 without me or Mike there. I also wanted to publicly commend Keshav Pillai, who stepped in to captain and organize things at close to the last minute when I dropped out.
Evan Silberman
Hampshire College 07F

Zip Zap Rap Pants
Yuna

Results:

1. MLW A
2. SC A
3. MLW B
4. TJ A
5. SC B
6. Freeman A
7. Walter Johnson
8. Ocean Lakes

Consolation:
9. MLW C
10. Trinity A
Semifinalists (who were technically supposed to play a 3rd/11th place game but everyone was too tired, including me): Covenant, MLW D

MLW was looking to qualify a 2nd team for HSNCT, and to steal all our awards, and they did just that, capturing the 1st, 3rd, and consolation plaques.

We were a bit desparate for help, and since our club is rather new and small (in terms of really dedicated folk), I had to pull in a lot of inexperienced volunteers, along with the seasoned veterans like Andrew Feist, John Harris, Matt Weiner etc. Thanks especially to them and to the Lake Taylor coach (who couldn't field a team but still showed) for helping us out, I really appreciate it. I hope the neg awards were nice, though I should have burned some Post Mortem CD's last time I was in Cap City.

Sorry for running about the crappiest consolation bracket in history guys, though it did finish quite well thanks to Moh/Ben/Brad. First off with no scab team we had 15 teams so one had a bye, then Tabb, Denbigh, and both Spotswoods left, plus I initially screwed up some of the pairings b/c I didn't have the consolation bracket/rooms with me before playoff announcements. Thanks for bearing with us through the mayhem though. Next time with a field this small, I'll just make the consolation single elimination of 8 (b/c then we could just move up teams to fill the slots of those leaving and less would be likely to leave etc.).

I see what Palmer is saying (have the last winner play the lower of the two that have gone thru the loser's bracket), I actually considered doing that to avoid an immediate rematch, but I figured the last winning bracket team would likely play a 2, 3, or 4 or something to be the last undefeated team, and therefore end up playing a lower seed anyway, but alas it was hard to forsee a 1 and a 7 playing in the last winner's only game. Then again why not treat all three losing bracket teams equally, since they all have one loss. It's difficult. At least we didn't do like VHSL and have a million bye rounds. By the way Palmer I'll always know you as the Happy Puppet rather than MLWMathStar...

I should have told mods/scorekeepers to show up earlier, though normally a half hour is sufficient. Then we had a delay before playoffs b/c the stat sheets/SQBS processing was held up by a late protest deal b/t Trinity B and Covenant, and a moderator switch I had to make. Also we should have handled buzzers in a more organized manner, but I want to personally thank Brad and Mohammad for making that work out while I was busy filling in for Matt Weiner for two rounds. Really I couldn't have done this all without Darren, Mohammad, Brad, Ben, and Rabbi (what everyone really calls our stat man) in particular, so I want to give a sincere thanks to them. There were numerous others who were a big help but I certainly cannot name them all. This was a big learning process for all of us at W&M (except for maybe Darren due to numerous DAF's), and we'll carry a lot of lessons into next year when it comes to hosting. Anyway, I'll post all the results of the main playoffs, with scores, soon. Mohammad should post (or give to me to post) scores of at least the last few games of consolation, if not all the scores, in a few days. Rabbinator might put the prelim stats on his frat's webpage since he's in sole possession of the SQBS file, but I'll certainly post a link to it when he's done.

By the way anyone get the theme of the bracket names?

[Edit: The last time I awoke from sleep was 1 pm Friday after a long nap, but I've had to stay up to wait for some magic show to finish in the UC Commonwealth, so I might retrieve my backpack which I lost after playoff announcements but had no time to go back and get... Anywho, I don't think I've eaten all day either, hardcore yo, betta come armed like goro, put you under grass cut by Toro, haha]

-Matt Weiner

In wine is wisdom,
In water is germs.”
-Unknown

BuzzerZen
Auron

Post by BuzzerZen »

Matt...go to sleep, Matt.
Evan Silberman
Hampshire College 07F

MLWMathStar
Lulu

Post by MLWMathStar »

Matt Morrison wrote:By the way Palmer I'll always know you as the Happy Puppet rather than MLWMathStar...
I figured I'd get slightly more people to recognize me with this screenname rather than HappyPuppet, which as of recently is now an obsolete name that I replace when possible. The word happy has not exactly fit me for years; not that I'm emo and depressed, but the emotion most associated with me would probably be stoic rather than happy. So blah. :razz:
Palmer Mebane
Maggie Walker A Team
aestheteboy
Tidus

Post by aestheteboy »

Hey, that was a fun tournament. We got home around 11:30, but it was still worth the time as we beat a really good team for the first time in the season (TJA with some missing starters). And then we had a sad game against Freeman and got the worst landslide of the season to SC (who scored 400 points in the last 10 questions) . . . I was hoping SC would win because I didn't want to think there was a team better than them, but congrats to Gov for going through the day undefeated. After lunch their bonus conversion was 25. I think that might have been the highest I've ever seen.

Anyway, thanks for running a double elimination/consolation/placement games simultaneously. That must've of been a lot of work, but I'm sure most teams liked that they got to play 8 games at the least.

I think there were a lot of upsets in this tournament (e.g. us against TJ, SCB against Ocean Lakes, Ocean Lakes against GovB, GovB against SCA etc.) My coach says I shouldn't complain since NAQT is a group of "professional" writers, but maybe NAQT tournaments give more inconsistent results than house written pyramidal tournaments?
First Chairman
Auron

Post by First Chairman »

I'd hold judgement until I see stats. It could be your perception, but I would be concerned if the round-by-round scoring varied drastically.
Emil Thomas Chuck, Ph.D.
Founder, PACE
Facebook junkie and unofficial advisor to aspiring health professionals in quiz bowl
---
Pimping Green Tea Ginger Ale (Canada Dry)
MLWMathStar
Lulu

Post by MLWMathStar »

aestheteboy wrote:My coach says I shouldn't complain since NAQT is a group of "professional" writers, but maybe NAQT tournaments give more inconsistent results than house written pyramidal tournaments?
I think I would attribute the upsets/inconsistencies to low question difficulty, as later playoff rounds had strings of lead-in buzzer races, and between both teams most games saw 5-10 powers being gotten in a row. I'd hope that at HSNCT for example, this won't end up being a problem, since the national tournament usually has harder questions (and probably for this reason).

I would also not consider Ocean Lakes beating us an upset; they are particularly strong against teams with low buzzer speed, like us.
Palmer Mebane
Maggie Walker A Team
The Toad to Wigan Pier
Tidus

Post by The Toad to Wigan Pier »

MLWMathStar wrote: I think I would attribute the upsets/inconsistencies to low question difficulty, as later playoff rounds had strings of lead-in buzzer races, and between both teams most games saw 5-10 powers being gotten in a row.
I agree with this. Not only were there too many easy clues at the beginning of the questions, but the power marks were incredibly lenient. There were several questions that we got for power, yet the question was almost over.

I realize that NAQT has no way of knowing how a tournament will be structured, and therefore where the playoffs begin, but they could do more to increase the difficulty of the last few rounds. I could tell that the questions were somewhat harder in terms of answer selection in the back half of the rounds, but there did not seem to be much of an increase in the difficulty in the questions themselves.
olsb25
Wakka

Post by olsb25 »

There were definitely some questions that were far too easy to power. No question about a country, for example, should start with its newly elected and in the news leader, because that is a dead giveaway to anyone who reads the paper.
Zip Zap Rap Pants
Yuna

Main Playoff Bracket Results:
Round 1 (seeds in parentheses)
(1)MLW 300
(8)SC B 190

(4)TJ A 445
(5)OL 115

(2)SC A 330
(7)MLW B 355

(3)Walter Johnson 215
(6)Freeman A 240

Round 2
Winner's Bracket
MLW A 375
TJ A 295

MLW B 325
Freeman A 180

Loser's Bracket
Walter Johnson 60
SC A 590

SC B 280
Ocean Lakes 225

Round 3
Winner's Bracket
MLW A 625
MLW B 65

Loser's Bracket
Freeman A 185
SC A 465

SC B 195
TJ A 455

Placement Game - 7th
Walter Johnson 330
Ocean Lakes 295

Roound 4
Cross Bracket
MLW A 550
MLW B 55

Loser's Bracket
SC A 505
TJ A 200

Placement Game - 5th
Freeman A 130
SC B 395

Round 5
Cross Bracket/Finals
MLW A 370
SC A 330

Placement Game - 3rd
MLW B 375
TJ A 255

I hope everyone liked the idea of the placement games. While it guaranteed everyone 3 games on the one hand, on the other hand it meant someone had to lose 3 games in a row. Sorry Ocean Lakes!

Did the prelim brackets seem somewhat balanced? I hope I did a decent job with that. By the way when I was looking at the GSAC results to help me with determining the brackets, I noticed on the Geocities site that it says that MLW traveled to the "University of William and Mary" to win states, too bad no such place exists...if we are so degraded to that status in the future, perhaps unfortunate circumstances will prevent MLW from repeating as Col. Ebirt champions...all I can say is, better check your tire pressure next year :twisted: :twisted: :twisted: :chip:

[Edit: corrected SC A - WJ game, let me know if any other corrections are needed]
Last edited by Zip Zap Rap Pants on Tue Mar 06, 2007 6:07 pm, edited 1 time in total.

-Matt Weiner

In wine is wisdom,
In water is germs.”
-Unknown

Frater Taciturnus
Auron

On the prelim brackets, I thoguht they were mostly fair, with 2-3 quality teams in each. On one note i wasn't too happy about having a bye round before the playoff announcement. By the time everyone had come back and the playoffs were announced, we had probably sat around for about an hour, without having played, ands were then expected to play in the top bracket. I understand that it was fairly unavoidable, and that things things happen.

And having a powers on civilizations after giving the most well known city of it has to be extremely low expectations by NAQT. I thought that after the second round or so, the playoff questions got at least a bit trickier. it wasn't as much of a divergence as GSAC, but it was still noticible.

I am waiting on the prelim information still. If possible, could i get an email copy of the SQBS file?
Janet Berry
[email protected]
she/they
--------------
Zip Zap Rap Pants
Yuna

You can blame the bye on teams not offering up their subs for a scab team to get them more experience. That's the only way to avoid it. On the other hand, I should have told you the playoff announcement time in case you didn't know. The actual time we made the announcements was delayed because of a delay in the stat room, caused by me getting in scoresheets late (b/c I had to handle a protest in Washington and replace a moderator who left) and by a mysterious absence of Rabbi for a while after I got the sheets in. Sorry about that though, we went as fast as possible. Besides there's always at least a small delay as the last round stats have to be compiled.

-Matt Weiner

In wine is wisdom,
In water is germs.”
-Unknown

BenCassellWM
Kimahri

Post by BenCassellWM »

I'm glad to see everyone seems to have generally enjoyed the tournament. I feel we gained tremendous experience this year and next year's tournament will run more smoothly. Thanks to all the teams for showing up and for your patience with the difficulties we encountered. For all of you juniors or younger I hope to see you again next year at the tournament and for you seniors, perhaps I will also see you next year at practice or a collegiate tournament.
Zip Zap Rap Pants
Yuna

Stats are now up and working, hopefully: http://www.geocities.com/wmquizbowl/tournaments.html There should be a link to the Ebirt standings in there. The stats should all be right now except that State College B and MLW C have incorrect PPBH numbers due to the fact that they were in an overtime game with each other and that kind of made SQBS angry. The ppg for those two teams and everything else should be right though.

-Matt Weiner

In wine is wisdom,
In water is germs.”
-Unknown

vcuEvan
Auron

Post by vcuEvan »

I'm glad you got these up fairly quickly, but there seem to be some errors with points per bonus. Bonus heard isn't equaling 10s+15s for a lot of the teams, which is throwing off points per bonus heard.
Zip Zap Rap Pants
Yuna

From what I'm looking at, Bhrd does in fact equal 15s + 10s except for SC B and MLW C. Where else is it incorrect?

-Matt Weiner

In wine is wisdom,
In water is germs.”
-Unknown

vcuEvan
Auron

Post by vcuEvan »

OK looked through it again. Just those two teams are in error.
aestheteboy
Tidus

Post by aestheteboy »

SC beat us in the play offs 590 to 60, not 490 to 60.
Looking at the stats, SCA-Ocean Lake-GovB bracket seems much stronger than the other two, and WJ-TJA-SCB bracket seems some what stronger than Gov-Freeman-TJB bracket. The brackets probably would have been much more balanced if TJ had full or near-full power.
Lapego1
Tidus

Post by Lapego1 »

I calculated average ppg in each bracket, and WJ, TJ A, et al. bracket had the highest by about 5ppg over SC A, Ocean Lakes, et al. and around 15ppg over MW A, Freeman, et al. This could be due to a number of factors. I don't think there was any way to foresee that some of the usual suspects wouldn't do as well or that the unusual suspects would do so well. For example, Trinity in the MW A, etc. bracket did pretty well at GSAC and would probably be expected to do well in this group. However, as far as I know, this was their first NAQT tournament, so perhaps the unique style of play offset them a little bit. Similar cases may have resulted in some of the other brackets.
Zip Zap Rap Pants
Yuna

Yeah I thought Trinity would do a little better, I thought TJ would do a little better too but that was a guessing game since I knew they'd be weaker just didn't know how much weaker (I was about right in my estimations of TJ A but I expected TJ B to at least come close to making the main playoffs). Also, the ppg of the Bushwick bracket (MLW A et al) would probably be lower if we had managed to pull together Ebirt's Army. It's kind of annoying that we didn't because I know Trinity had 11 players across two teams and Denbigh had 6 players in one team, so what the hay?

-Matt Weiner

In wine is wisdom,
In water is germs.”
-Unknown

Frater Taciturnus
Auron

Matt Morrison wrote:Yeah I thought Trinity would do a little better,
One of Trinity's better players was lost to the FIRST Robotics Competition.

Matt Morrison wrote:Also, the ppg of the Bushwick bracket (MLW A et al) would probably be lower if we had managed to pull together Ebirt's Army. It's kind of annoying that we didn't because I know Trinity had 11 players across two teams and Denbigh had 6 players in one team, so what the hay?
My reaction to seeing 101 people on 23 teams on the statsheet was a LITTLE bit stronger.... :twisted:
Janet Berry
[email protected]
she/they
--------------
Zip Zap Rap Pants
Yuna

The origin of the bracket names (for anyone who's never seen Office Space :wink: ): http://www.vh1.com/artists/az/geto_boys/artist.jhtml

All three of the Foundation singles are the ish btw; G Code, I Tried, Yes Yes Y'all, all fya.

-Matt Weiner

In wine is wisdom,
In water is germs.”
-Unknown

Matthew D
Yuna

Post by Matthew D »

Hey Matt,
Just wondering about next year's tournament. Are you planning on holding it on the same weekend next year? Starting to plan out next year's schedule and hoping it might move due to being on the same weekend as our state middle school championships
Zip Zap Rap Pants
Yuna

Matthew D wrote:Hey Matt,
Just wondering about next year's tournament. Are you planning on holding it on the same weekend next year? Starting to plan out next year's schedule and hoping it might move due to being on the same weekend as our state middle school championships
It's not definite yet, it may very well move. It'd be great if you guys could come though. Can I contact you via email about this (in further detail)? What's your address?

[Edit: In case you don't want to reveal your address here, you can shoot me one at mpmorr at wm dot edu]

-Matt Weiner

In wine is wisdom,
In water is germs.”
-Unknown