HELP REQUESTED: NAQT Mid-Atlantic Sectionals (2/10/07)

Dormant threads from the high school sections are preserved here.
First Chairman
Auron

HELP REQUESTED: NAQT Mid-Atlantic Sectionals (2/10/07)

Post by First Chairman »

I am seeking current high school students, teachers, and quiz bowl alumni who would be willing to volunteer their efforts and expertise to running the
2007 Mid-Atlantic NAQT Sectional College Championship at George Mason University (Fairfax campus) on Saturday, February 10. Please let me know by January 15 if you are available.
Frater Taciturnus
Auron

Post by Frater Taciturnus »

If there is no tournament (VHSL or other) there is a very good chance i could come, maybe with others from Freeman.
Janet Berry
[email protected]
she/they
--------------
J. Sargeant Reynolds CC 2008, 2009, 2014
Virginia Commonwealth 2010, 2011, 2012, 2013,
Douglas Freeman 2005, 2006, 2007
BuzzerZen
Auron

Post by BuzzerZen »

If that turns out to be the Cav Open date, you may not get many high school students. If it doesn't turn out to be the Cav Open date, I'd love to come help.
Byko
Yuna

Post by Byko »

I'd be surprised if Virginia (or any college team, for that matter) were to hold a high school tournament that day, as that would take them out of contention for any spots in the NAQT ICT field. But stranger things have happened.
Frater Taciturnus
Auron

There are also VHSL-related local tournaments going on throughout that period of time. This makes things even harder to work around.
Janet Berry
[email protected]
she/they
--------------
STPickrell
Auron

Post by STPickrell »

Cav Open has usually been the week before VHSL States which is on the 24th this year (making Cav Open the 17th.)

By the 10th, all the Districts will have decided their champions, so the only conflicts would be Region tournaments, of which there are 12. The Regions from which most volunteers might come are the Central (Richmond area) and Northern (DC area) regions.

The Northern Region tournament is January 20, I believe. I will be in attendance at the tournament.

Dr. Barnes, do you know when the Central Region is holding their tournament?
mithokie
Rikku

Post by mithokie »

NAQT Website lists the 4th annual cav open as March 17 and IS-64.
NRScout98
Lulu

Post by NRScout98 »

The Cav Open will indeed be on March 17th.
Frater Taciturnus
Auron

That is also the same day as the day scheduled for Spotswood ACT II. This conflict may result in watered-down fields in both tournaments.
Janet Berry
[email protected]
she/they
--------------
Captain Sinico
Auron

Post by Captain Sinico »

dsfcaptains2005 wrote:That is also the same day as the day scheduled for Spotswood ACT II. This conflict may result in watered-down fields in both tournaments.
SCT is a college tournament, dude.

MaS
bsmith
Tidus

Post by bsmith »

ImmaculateDeception wrote:
dsfcaptains2005 wrote:That is also the same day as the day scheduled for Spotswood ACT II. This conflict may result in watered-down fields in both tournaments.

MaS
ACT II and the Cavalier Open are both on March 17.
STPickrell
Auron

Post by STPickrell »

bsmith wrote:
ImmaculateDeception wrote:

MaS
ACT II and the Cavalier Open are both on March 17.
The Spotswood ACT II had been pushed back to March 24.
Matt Weiner
Sin

Post by Matt Weiner »

Will D2 questions be used again in high school sets? If so high schoolers can't be at the tournament (or would have to help out in D1 only). Last year there was overlap and we were told not to discuss any D2 SCT questions on this board unless we could tell that they had analogues in the D1 set.
bsmith
Tidus

Post by bsmith »

Matt Weiner wrote:Will D2 questions be used again in high school sets? If so high schoolers can't be at the tournament (or would have to help out in D1 only). I can't remember if questions were shared between SCT and high school sets happened last year, but I know that it happens every year with the ICT D2 questions.
My uninformed guess is that there will be some overlap between D2 and IS-66 (the set used for CC sectionals). If HS students have already played on that set, they can probably staff an SCT; if that set is in an upcoming HS tournament they will attend, they shouldn't staff an SCT.
Matt Weiner
Sin

Post by Matt Weiner »

I would HOPE that high school question set IS-66 is not scheduled for use at any high school tournaments prior to SCT since NAQT can't tell what collegians who might be playing at SCT will be helping out at any given high school event. So the situation, unless there is a horrible NAQT security hole, is that SCT will be the first use of those questions, and it's the high schoolers who have to be wary of what they are playing in the future.
Zip Zap Rap Pants
Yuna

Post by Zip Zap Rap Pants »

bsmith wrote:
Matt Weiner wrote:Will D2 questions be used again in high school sets? If so high schoolers can't be at the tournament (or would have to help out in D1 only). I can't remember if questions were shared between SCT and high school sets happened last year, but I know that it happens every year with the ICT D2 questions.
My uninformed guess is that there will be some overlap between D2 and IS-66 (the set used for CC sectionals). If HS students have already played on that set, they can probably staff an SCT; if that set is in an upcoming HS tournament they will attend, they shouldn't staff an SCT.
If it's not a Community College sectional it shouldn't matter though, right? Well, if your guess holds true it does, but let's hope there's no overlap...
Byko
Yuna

Post by Byko »

Matt Morrison wrote:
bsmith wrote:
If it's not a Community College sectional it shouldn't matter though, right? Well, if your guess holds true it does, but let's hope there's no overlap...
I'll be sure to ask and verify as necessary--good question.
Captain Sinico
Auron

Post by Captain Sinico »

Matt Morrison wrote:If it's not a Community College sectional it shouldn't matter though, right?
No, it still might. The point here is that NAQT has used questions from the set used at the CC SCT's (which is an IS set) in the Division II set used at SCT's, so anyone who'd seen that Division II set then couldn't play on the IS set with which it shared questions (except for the various teams exempt from the "don't have seen the questions before playing on them" rule at NAQT.)

MaS