Science Bowl

Dormant threads from the high school sections are preserved here.
johnboy81918
Lulu

Science Bowl

Post by johnboy81918 »

Just curious who else does Science Bowl, and if you went to NSB last year, how your team did. I was disappointed with the way I played last year, especially losing to teams we should have beaten, but self-destructed against.

Oddly enough, we lost to teams we should've beaten, and beat a team we should've lost to (Santa Monica).

Anyways, I was just looking for other Science Bowlers on here!

Post away ^_^
sweaver
Lulu

Post by sweaver »

I operate the local science bowl, that qualifies teams for the state (regional, our state is a region) tournament.
Wall of Ham
Rikku

Post by Wall of Ham »

I guess I should say something.

I'm on the State College HS Science Bowl team, and we won last year.

The best science bowl players are probably those that play quizbowl often, as well as with a interest in science. I'm sure lots of SB people are on this site but don't say much. However, SB doesn't really reflect deep science knowledge (like what would scientists know) but more on general textbook stuff.

So... if you want to be good, practice a lot of quizbowl, and read/memorize science books and textbooks.
grapesmoker
Sin

Post by grapesmoker »

I don't know how useful this will be to high school students, but for the last several years, the Chicago Open tournament has featured a "Science Monstrosity" singles/doubles event, usually edited by me (and once by Jordan Boyd-Graber of Princeton). Most of those questions are available on the Stanford Archive or you can find links to the latest version in the collegiate announcements section (or the college archive). The questions are hard and certainly not high school level, but they are chock full of clues that may or may not prove useful in Science Bowl. Good luck.
Sen. Estes Kefauver (D-TN)
Chairman of Anti-Music Mafia Committee

Post by Sen. Estes Kefauver (D-TN) »

Johnboy up there is the captain of Liberty's team in MO. I think their entire quizbowl team is the science bowl team. And they are really good.
wd4gdz
Tidus

Post by wd4gdz »

grapesmoker wrote:I don't know how useful this will be to high school students, but for the last several years, the Chicago Open tournament has featured a "Science Monstrosity" singles/doubles event, usually edited by me (and once by Jordan Boyd-Graber of Princeton). Most of those questions are available on the Stanford Archive or you can find links to the latest version in the collegiate announcements section (or the college archive). The questions are hard and certainly not high school level, but they are chock full of clues that may or may not prove useful in Science Bowl. Good luck.
Were the questions from the '06 event ever posted? If so, where?