RESULTS/SURVEY:GSAC XIV (12/9/06) at MLWGSGIS (Richmond, VA)

Dormant threads from the high school sections are preserved here.
gsacdirector
Lulu

RESULTS/SURVEY:GSAC XIV (12/9/06) at MLWGSGIS (Richmond, VA)

Post by gsacdirector »

I am proud to announce that the Governor’s School Academic Competition XIV (GSAC XIV), held at Maggie Walker Governor's School in Richmond, VA, is scheduled for Saturday, December 9, 2006. We usually draw a competitive field from the VA/MD/DC/NC area and beyond.

Game format: Each game will consist of 20 pyramidal tossups with unrelated 30-point bonuses in an un-timed format. Teams get 10 points for answering tossups correctly and lose 5 points for answering incorrectly before the question is completed (no powers). There are bouncebacks on tossups but not on bonuses.

Tournament format: Teams will be divided into brackets (size depending on the total number of teams), and each team will play at least 6 preliminary rounds. The top 16 teams, ranked by wins and points, will advance to a single-elimination playoff. After the first playoff round, the final 8 will continue playing until the top 8 seeds are determined. Also, if enough teams beyond the top 16 remain, there will be single-elimination consolation playoffs with teams ranked by wins and points. Depending on staff availability, scrimmage matches for interested teams may be available throughout playoffs.

Questions: All questions are written by members of the Maggie Walker Academic Team. We recognize that our questions have been difficult in the past and have tried to make each preliminary round tossup gettable by at least one average player on either team by the end of the question. Playoff questions will be a bit harder, though the majority will still be gettable by average level players. All questions will be available for sale to both participating and non-participating teams.

Schedule: Registration will take place between 8:00am and 8:45am. After an overall team meeting, rounds will begin by 9:15am, and playoffs should be completed by 6:00pm with a lunch break in the middle of the day. There are many lunch options available in the Richmond city area, though you will be able to order pizza through us as well.

Deadlines: The early registration deadline is November 6, 2006 (for a discount). We will continue to accept registrations until December 4, 2006.

Costs:
$50 for the first team from each school
$40 for subsequent teams (no limit on number of teams from same school)
$20 for a copy of the questions for participating teams, $25 for non-participating teams
-$10 per working buzzer system
-$5 for registering prior to November 6, 2006
-$5 off of question fees for purchasing an electronic copy of questions

Awards: Trophies or plaques will be awarded to the top two teams and the consolation winner. Prizes will also be awarded to the highest individual scorers in preliminary rounds and to the player(s) with the most negs in preliminary rounds.

National tournament qualification: Pending affiliation, the top 4 teams will receive bids to the 10th Annual National Scholastics Championship (NSC), hosted by the Partnership for Academic Competition Excellence (PACE) and taking place on June 16-17, 2007 at the University of Michigan, Ann Arbor.

I will be sending out invitations and registration forms, via e-mail, to all coaches on my mailing list. If you don’t believe you are on this list and would like to be added, send me an e-mail at gsacdirector-at-hotmail-dot-com. The invitation and registration form are also posted on our website at http://www.geocities.com/mlwgsbob. If you have any questions or comments, post them in this thread or send me an e-mail.

--Mehdi Razvi, Tournament Director
Zip Zap Rap Pants
Yuna

Re: GSAC XIV (12/9/06) at Maggie Walker (Richmond, VA)

Post by Zip Zap Rap Pants »

gsacdirector wrote:National tournament qualification: Pending affiliation, the top 4 teams will receive bids to the 10th Annual National Scholastics Championship (NSC), hosted by the Partnership for Academic Competition Excellence (PACE) and taking place on June 16-17, 2007 at the University of Michigan, Ann Arbor.
Due to this http://www.hsquizbowl.org/phpBB2/viewto ... 0030#40030 it'll probably be 8 bids, seeing as this tournament usually draws a large crowd. If you need me, I'll probably be there to help you guys out (to make up for going to a debate tournament last year...)
gsacdirector
Lulu

Post by gsacdirector »

To follow up, we usually get over 40 teams and thus top 8 should qualify for the PACE NSC.

Also, to bump the thread, there is a field update with <2 months to go until the tournament. I sent out e-mails to coaches in early September, so if you didn't receive one and you'd like to come, just e-mail the registration form (found at http://www.geocities.com/mlwgsbob) to gsacdirector-at-hotmail-dot-com. Also, send me an e-mail if you'd like to be added to the mailing list or have an address change of any sort.

Remember, early registration ends Novembr 6th (3 weeks from today). Final registration deadline is December 4th.

Field Update 10/16:
Chattahoochee (GA)
Dorman (SC)
King's Fork x2
Parry McCluer x2
St. Christopher's x2
Trinity x2
Total: 10 teams
mknupp
Lulu

please email entry form

Post by mknupp »

Russell HS from KY would like to bring two teams. Could you please email an entry form? Address is [email protected]

If electronic form is not available, please snail mail to 709 Red Devil Lane, Russell KY 41169

Thanks
Lapego1
Tidus

Post by Lapego1 »

Mr. Knupp,
I sent you that e-mail this past Thursday. Hope you received it!

For everyone else, please be aware that early registration for fee discount ends on November 6th, one week from tomorrow. The form is available in pdf version on our website, http://www.geocities.com/mlwgsbob, so just get that required information to me. E-mail address is [email protected].

Field Update 10/29:
Charlottesville x2
Chattahoochee (GA)
Collegiate x2
Dorman (SC)
King's Fork x2
Parry McCluer x2
Russell (KY) x2
St. Christopher's x2
Trinity x2
Total: 16 teams

We still have a lot of room available for more teams, so get those registrations in!
gsacdirector
Lulu

Post by gsacdirector »

Thread boost. With tournament two weeks away, we have 41 teams, allowing top eight to qualify for PACE NSC. Anyone interested in registering should do so in the next week as the final deadline is December 4th. Emails, as usual, should be directed to [email protected]. Also, anyone interested in moderating can send an email to that address to be forwarded to the volunteer coordinator. I will have a field update soon.

Mehdi Razvi
gsacdirector
Lulu

Post by gsacdirector »

Without further ado, here is a field update with one week left for registration. We have a slight shortage of buzzers, so if any school could spare an extra set (or multiple sets), the $10 discount is still available. This would also mean that there would be no byes. Let me know at [email protected].

Cave Spring
Charlottesville x2
Chattahoochee (GA)
Clover Hill x2
Collegiate x2
Cosby
Dorman (SC)
Freeman x2
GDS (DC) x2
J.R. Tucker
King's Fork x2
New Kent x3
Parry McCluer x2
Princess Anne x2
Raleigh Charter (NC) x5
Rappahannock County x2
St. Anne's Belfield x2
State College (PA) x2
St. Christopher's x2
Stuyvesant (NY) x2
TJHSST x4
Trinity x2
Total: 45 teams
Zip Zap Rap Pants
Yuna

I'll bring our buzzer set, plus at least two volunteers with me, probably more.
Frater Taciturnus
Auron

Post by Frater Taciturnus »

I know that today was was the deadline for registration. Is there a final field update, or is the above update final?
Janet Berry
[email protected]
she/they
--------------
J. Sargeant Reynolds CC 2008, 2009, 2014
Virginia Commonwealth 2010, 2011, 2012, 2013,
Douglas Freeman 2005, 2006, 2007
gsacdirector
Lulu

Post by gsacdirector »

A field update may be found at http://www.geocities.com/mlwgsbob . Any last-minute updates can be found there. We have 47 teams from 6 states right now barring any more registrations I receive tonight. Teams can still register probably until Thursday if they'd like, though there will be a risk of being waitlisted. Teams already registered can alter their registrations until Thursday afternoon without consequences. I look forward to a competetive tournament on Saturday and will likely post a schedule and other pertinent info later this week.
gsacdirector
Lulu

Post by gsacdirector »

Sorry. I included a period in the link above. It should read http://www.geocities.com/mlwgsbob.
Frater Taciturnus
Auron

Thank you. This will be an increibly compeitive field, with many good schools from acroos the Eastern seaboard attending. Any word on PACE affliation?
Janet Berry
[email protected]
she/they
--------------
jbarnes112358
Tidus

Post by jbarnes112358 »

The top 8 teams will qualify for PACE Nationals.
gsacdirector
Lulu

Post by gsacdirector »

Field is now closed at 48 teams. Just a reminder that registration will take place from 8:00 to 8:45, followed by an opening meeting, and then rounds are scheduled to begin at 9:20. There will be six rounds of prelims followed by playoffs for 1-16 and consolation playoffs for 17-32. All games in consolation playoffs will result in elimination, though only the first round of main playoffs will eliminate teams from play. Top 8 play until the end AND qualify for PACE. The tournament is scheduled to end around 5:30. See you all tomorrow!
gsacdirector
Lulu

Post by gsacdirector »

A total of 44 teams from 7 states competed today at GSAC XIV. Thomas Jefferson A beat State College A in the finals 305-235. In the third place game, Chattahoochee beat Dorman 260-240. Both matches came down to the last question. Thanks to all who came in the most geographically diverse tournament in GSAC history! The top 6 were all from different states.
Brief Results:
1. TJ A
2. State College A
3. Chattahoochee
4. Dorman
5. Stuyvesant
6. Raleigh Charter A
7. Princess Anne A
8. Raleigh Charter B
9-16 (in no particular order): Charlottesville A, GDS A, TJ B, Cave Spring, Walter Johnson, Ocean Lakes A, TJ C, State College B
Consolation playoffs were won by St. Christopher's A who beat Trinity A in the finals.
aestheteboy
Tidus

Post by aestheteboy »

It was a fairly well-run tournament (considering late arrivals and such) with very nice questions, although they were pretty easy and guessable at times.
Congrats to TJ and SC and thanks to Gov School for a fun, competitive tournament.
First Chairman
Auron

PACE Tournament Survey

Post by First Chairman »

Congratulations to all the teams that competed at the GSAC tournament.

As part of the affiliation process, participants at GSAC are requested to fill out this tournament survey to provide feedback to the tournament staff. In addition, PACE is collecting these survey responses as part of a project to help advise students, teachers, and others in planning future tournaments.

Please fill out this form at your convenience before the end of December.
Frater Taciturnus
Auron

Overall, a very well run tournament. I didn't have some unpleasant moderators, but that is mostly luck of the draw.

Anyway, when will statistics from group play be available online?
Janet Berry
[email protected]
she/they
--------------
Lapego1
Tidus

Post by Lapego1 »

Both prelim and playoff stats should be up in a day or two as soon as I get a free moment to correct a couple of errors (none of which would have affected prelim seedings) and to type up playoff scores.
First Chairman
Auron

Post by First Chairman »

Pics of the tournament are on my photo website. I did not get releases of course, so download the pics for your personal use only.
The Toad to Wigan Pier
Tidus

Post by The Toad to Wigan Pier »

Sorry for the delay. Prelim Stats can now be found at http://geocities.com/mlwgsbob/gsac14/gs ... ndings.htm
Lapego1
Tidus

Post by Lapego1 »

Playoff scores (both main and consolation) are also available following the links from the main page (http://www.geocities.com/mlwgsbob).
Zip Zap Rap Pants
Yuna

Apparently the site's exceeded its data transfer limit...
The Toad to Wigan Pier
Tidus

Post by The Toad to Wigan Pier »

Since our antiquated geocities account has been overloaded, http://mlwgsbob.freehostia.com/web/gsac ... ndings.htm and http://mlwgsbob.freehostia.com/play.htm
dyetman89
Wakka

Post by dyetman89 »

The questions struck me as quite well written, albeit difficult, though there was at least one exception. Whoever wrote the "Ecclesiates" tossup apparently thought that "on either side of the river stood the tree of life....and the leaves of the tree were for the healing of nations" that they used as a lead-in came from said book, and never bothered to actually double-check with the text. The "tree of life" passage is, of course, from the Revelation of Saint John the Divine. Hard to protest on the spot, as no one on Stuyvesant's team had a Bible on hand. Did anyone else get hosed by this?
Rountree
Rikku

Great tournament

Post by Rountree »

This was an excellent tournament that had some very good teams in attendance. It was awesome to play many teams that we, Chattahoochee, aren't used to playing. We will definitely come back again.
Lapego1
Tidus

Post by Lapego1 »

My apologies to Stuyvesant and anyone else that question may have affected. I am relieved to know that it did not affect the game in your case. I believe the writer used Fahrenheit 451 as a source for the quote where Montag mentions it towards the end of the novel; however, cross-checking with the Bible itself definitely ought to have taken place. Once again, I apologize for the confusion. Rest assured that I would have awarded you the protest had you chosen to file one.