Best Teams In The Country '06-07?

Dormant threads from the high school sections are preserved here.
Irreligion in Bangladesh
Auron

Post by Irreligion in Bangladesh »

Byko wrote:
Trevkeeper wrote:Just a note: If Illinois is mentioned at all, Bloomington definitely has to be on the list, at least.
I'll say it here: right now in the rankings, they'd be close to top 20. The data right now indicates they're the best team in Illinois.
The only problem I would give would that data is the fact that the sample size is comparatively small. Because of geographic constraints, they haven't played the Chicago powerhouses all that often (to the best of my knowledge this late at night) so their only real exposure this year to the best teams of Chicago would be New Trier's Varsity tournament (which, of course, they won). Given that the top few Chicago teams play each other on a semi-regular basis, an argument could be made that Bloomington isn't really "battle tested". Also, having not seen them play this year, I'm not sure where they're getting their science points now that Vikram has graduated - I'm sure they've got it figured out, I just don't know about it. Even with that little nitpick, my personal opinion is to agree that Bloomington is the best team in Illinois this year. Whether this translates into a state title or success at nationals is yet to be seen, but (if they go) I can see Bloomington becoming the most successful Illinois team to date at HSNCT.
Sen. Estes Kefauver (D-TN)
Chairman of Anti-Music Mafia Committee

Post by Sen. Estes Kefauver (D-TN) »

My question with Illinois teams is that they generally play on a totally different distribution than you find in NAQT (lots more math and science, I think). What I'm saying is, does the ability of a team on its own state format correlate to its ability on NAQT or PACE? The same can be asked for just about every state championship.
Trevkeeper
Tidus

Post by Trevkeeper »

charlieDfromNKC wrote:My question with Illinois teams is that they generally play on a totally different distribution than you find in NAQT (lots more math and science, I think). What I'm saying is, does the ability of a team on its own state format correlate to its ability on NAQT or PACE? The same can be asked for just about every state championship.
I'm not positive, but I think that the math is way larger in Illinois format, but science (and everything else) is similar.
First Chairman
Auron

Post by First Chairman »

ETC NOTE (on 2/14/07):

I have split off the threads on the issue of a consensus on good or bad quizbowl. They are now in the Theory section.
Emil Thomas Chuck, Ph.D.
Founder, PACE
Facebook junkie and unofficial advisor to aspiring health professionals in quiz bowl
---
Pimping Green Tea Ginger Ale (Canada Dry)
Tegan
Coach of AHAN Jr.

Post by Tegan »

edit: I just missed reading the "split it off" part. My bad.
edit: Couldn't even spell "just" correctly. Yeesh!
emactruman
Lulu

Post by emactruman »

I was wsorking on a computer ranking system at one time, kind of like a quiz bowl RPI, however, it was only state wide and I stopped recieving scores, so I quit.