Alabama 2006-2007

Dormant threads from the high school sections are preserved here.
AndyShootsAndyScores
Yuna

Post by AndyShootsAndyScores »

Are there any other big teams coming from somewhere other than North Alabama? The only non-Northern teams who I've seen so far this year with the possibility of making top 4 are LAMP, ASFA, and maybe Austin. I guess it's it's also a good time to get everyone's top 4 predictions.

BMHS, ISS, LAMP, and Grissom will definitely be top 4 this year. ASFA could make an upset, and Patrick from Austin played very well at NAQT today (averaging 100+ PPG), so he and his team could make some noise, but I don't see either of them breaking into the top 4. Muscle Shoals has also been said to be good, but the one time we played them at Arab, we won by a considerable margin, so I'm gonna put them in top 8 too. Here are my predictions:

1st-4th (no order) - LAMP, ISS, BMHS, and Grissom
5th-8th (no order) - ASFA, Muscle Shoals, Austin, and Covenant Christian

Thoughts?

FrEdit: Watch the discussion of NAQT questions. Thanks!
Last edited by AndyShootsAndyScores on Sun Mar 25, 2007 5:04 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Andy Knowles
Brindlee Mountain, '08
University of Alabama, '12
quizbowllee
Auron

Post by quizbowllee »

Andy,

Edit out your first sentence from the previous post. You can't discuss NAQT questions yet. You know that...

Also, if your talking about predictions for ASCA state, you mentioned a lot of teams who didn't qualify.
AndyShootsAndyScores
Yuna

quizbowllee wrote:Also, if your talking about predictions for ASCA state, you mentioned a lot of teams who didn't qualify.
When are the Regional Winners getting put on the ASCA site? Once that happens, I'll revise my picks.
Andy Knowles
Brindlee Mountain, '08
quizbowllee
Auron

Post by quizbowllee »

AndyBrindlee Mountain wrote:
quizbowllee wrote:Also, if your talking about predictions for ASCA state, you mentioned a lot of teams who didn't qualify.
When are the Regional Winners getting put on the ASCA site? Once that happens, I'll revise my picks.
It is done:

Austin High School
Bob Jones High School
Brindlee Mountain High School
Grissom High School
Baker High School
LAMP High School
Murphy High School
St. Paul's Episcopal School
Briarwood Christian School
Hoover High School
Indian Springs School
Vestavia Hills High School
Brookwood High School
Holy Spirit Catholic School
Muscle Shoals High School
Russellville High School
DVader
Wakka

Post by DVader »

DVader wrote:
My random picks for the teams making state, based entirely on past impressions and the little snippets of info from this forum:
Bob Jones
Brindlee
Buckhorn
Grissom
LAMP
St. Paul's
Baker
Springwood
ASFA
Hoover
Indian Springs
Southside
Russellville
Muscle Shoals
Florence
Holy Spirit
At least I got 11/16 correct. That's a slightly better percentage than my NCAA bracket. And too bad ASFA didn't make it.
David John Gagne,
University of Oklahoma
Cooper98
Wakka

Snead

Post by Cooper98 »

Who all is going to snead state on friday?
AndyShootsAndyScores
Yuna

Brindlee Mounain is going and I think we're taking two teams.
Andy Knowles
Brindlee Mountain, '08
Matthew D
Yuna

Post by Matthew D »

We will have the 1 team but I am bring all the members of the team and Andy no one is getting to take two teams to Snead...
quizbowllee
Auron

Post by quizbowllee »

Matthew D wrote:We will have the 1 team but I am bring all the members of the team and Andy no one is getting to take two teams to Snead...
It absolutely baffles me how little Andy knows about what is going on...
Matthew D
Yuna

Post by Matthew D »

LOL.. there is some other team that thought they were bringing two teams also...
Cooper98
Wakka

Practice

Post by Cooper98 »

Hey andy and/or coach henry ive played agianst yall for several years (losing most of the time) and ive always wondered how often yall practice or how long yall typically practice on any given day during the week?
AndyShootsAndyScores
Yuna

Re: Practice

Cooper98 wrote:Hey andy and/or coach henry ive played agianst yall for several years (losing most of the time) and ive always wondered how often yall practice or how long yall typically practice on any given day during the week?
Our practice schedule for this year has been this:

Monday - 3:45-5:00
Tuesday - 3:45-5:00
Wednesday: - 3:00-5:00
Thursday: - none
Friday: - 3:45-5:00

It has recently changed, however, to high school being everyday from 3 to 5 except for Friday.
Andy Knowles
Brindlee Mountain, '08
Cooper98
Wakka

Post by Cooper98 »

wow i wish we took it as serious as yall do we practice once a week but we do have a class
quizbowllee
Auron

Post by quizbowllee »

Results from 35th Annual Snead State Invitational:

1st - Brindlee Mountain
2nd - Russellville
Semi-Finalists: ASFA and Covenant Christian

Brindlee Mountain was #1 seed despite losing the first round of the tournament to ASFA. In the playoffs, Russellville defeated ASFA. Brindlee Mountain then beat Russellville 560-80 in the championship.
AndyShootsAndyScores
Yuna

quizbowllee wrote:Results from 35th Annual Snead State Invitational:

1st - Brindlee Mountain
2nd - Russellville

Brindlee Mountain was #1 seed despite losing the first round of the tournament to ASFA. In the playoffs, Russellville defeated ASFA. Brindlee Mountain then beat Russellville 560-80 in the championship.
Finally, I get to correct Lee in public. Although you weren't there, Russellville played Buckhorn in their semifinals match, so Buckhorn, not ASFA, was the other semifinalist. Russellville did, however, play ASFA in the quarterfinals and beat them by about 100 points.
Andy Knowles
Brindlee Mountain, '08
Golden Tiger 86
Tidus

Post by Golden Tiger 86 »

1st - Brindlee Mountain
2nd - Russellville

Good God!!!! Congrats, Lee...that's an old-school beatdown.
Cooper98
Wakka

Post by Cooper98 »

Andy, do you plan on doing quiz bowl in college somewhere once you graduate next year?
quizbowllee
Auron

Post by quizbowllee »

AndyBrindlee Mountain wrote:

1st - Brindlee Mountain
2nd - Russellville

Finally, I get to correct Lee in public. Although you weren't there, Russellville played Buckhorn in their semifinals match, so Buckhorn, not ASFA, was the other semifinalist. Russellville did, however, play ASFA in the quarterfinals and beat them by about 100 points.
I stand corrected.
AndyShootsAndyScores
Yuna

Cooper98 wrote:Andy, do you plan on doing quiz bowl in college somewhere once you graduate next year?
Yeah, probably going to start at Snead first, though.
Andy Knowles
Brindlee Mountain, '08
Cooper98
Wakka

Post by Cooper98 »

ah good i will be there in the fall
AndyShootsAndyScores
Yuna

Here the ASCA State results:

1st - Indian Springs
2nd - LAMP
3rd - BMHS
4th - Hoover

Individual results:

MVP - David from LAMP
2nd (tie) - John Illg from Bob Jones
2nd (tie) - Andy from BMHS
4th - Jenna Caldwell from ISS
5th - Charles from Grissom/player from Hoover (I'm not sure)
6th - Charles from Grissom/player from Hoover (I'm not sure)

ASCA has improved immensely since my freshman year. The 5-pointers were quick, buzzer races. The 10-pointers were slighty more pyramidal, and 15-pointers were NAQT-esque questions.

Also, is David from LAMP a senior, or will he be returning for another year?
Andy Knowles
Brindlee Mountain, '08
NRLYAGODD
Lulu

Post by NRLYAGODD »

Out of curiosity, what were the standings after pool play? Which three teams from each pool and seed?
AndyShootsAndyScores
Yuna

Hoover, BMHS, and Grissom came from the same pool, with Hoover getting the bye. ISS, LAMP, and Bob Jones from the other pool, ISS got the bye. Oh, and the other teams are in order, too.
Andy Knowles
Brindlee Mountain, '08
quizbowllee
Auron

Post by quizbowllee »

It appears that LAMP has been taken off the stand-by list and is now officially in the NAQT HSNCT field. So, Alabama will be represented by Brindlee Mountain A, Brindlee Mountain B, LAMP, and Sand Rock.

It's too bad that Indian Springs didn't accept their automatic bid. It would have been interesting to see how they would do at nationals.
Byko
Yuna

Post by Byko »

quizbowllee wrote:It's too bad that Indian Springs didn't accept their automatic bid. It would have been interesting to see how they would do at nationals.
How come Indian Springs (presumably) isn't going anywhere? We'd certainly be interested in having them at PACE.
Dave Bykowski
Furman '00
Michigan '02
PACE 1998-2009
Director, JROTC National Academic Bowl Championship
quizbowllee
Auron

Post by quizbowllee »

Byko wrote:
quizbowllee wrote:It's too bad that Indian Springs didn't accept their automatic bid. It would have been interesting to see how they would do at nationals.
How come Indian Springs (presumably) isn't going anywhere? We'd certainly be interested in having them at PACE.
ASCA sends the state winner to Panasonic. They are planning to represent Alabama there. Also, this is their coach's last year. He is retiring next month and moving, so I guess he's not interested in going to a lot of tournaments this summer. Interestingly, he told me that Indian Springs will likely no longer have a team. That will definitely change Alabama quiz bowl. They have always been a powerhouse team.
Byko
Yuna

Post by Byko »

quizbowllee wrote:ASCA sends the state winner to Panasonic. They are planning to represent Alabama there. Also, this is their coach's last year. He is retiring next month and moving, so I guess he's not interested in going to a lot of tournaments this summer. Interestingly, he told me that Indian Springs will likely no longer have a team. That will definitely change Alabama quiz bowl. They have always been a powerhouse team.
Wow--I had thought that Alabama was still sending all-star teams to Panasonic. That's a change.

As for Indian Springs possibly not having a team next year, that would be a huge loss for the circuit as a whole. That's a program with a lot of history to it and a good school on its own merits. It's things like this that make me concerned about the future of quiz bowl.
Dave Bykowski
Furman '00
Michigan '02
PACE 1998-2009
Director, JROTC National Academic Bowl Championship
quizbowllee
Auron

Post by quizbowllee »

Byko wrote:
quizbowllee wrote:ASCA sends the state winner to Panasonic. They are planning to represent Alabama there. Also, this is their coach's last year. He is retiring next month and moving, so I guess he's not interested in going to a lot of tournaments this summer. Interestingly, he told me that Indian Springs will likely no longer have a team. That will definitely change Alabama quiz bowl. They have always been a powerhouse team.
Wow--I had thought that Alabama was still sending all-star teams to Panasonic. That's a change.

As for Indian Springs possibly not having a team next year, that would be a huge loss for the circuit as a whole. That's a program with a lot of history to it and a good school on its own merits. It's things like this that make me concerned about the future of quiz bowl.
Actually, Alabama has never sent an All-Star team. They always send the ASCA champions. I think that's a terrible mistake. But, no one asked me :cool: .
JBSprings
Lulu

Post by JBSprings »

quizbowllee wrote:I think that's a terrible mistake. But, no one asked me :cool: .
Really, IMHO, it's a much better idea to send the state champs to the Panasonic than an all-star team--the Panasonic's bizzare, and it requires a cohesive and balanced team, which you're highly unlikely to get in an all-star team.

Also, since the Panasonic's so bizzare, unless you prep for it you're liable not to get very far and spend most of your time hanging around Disney World, which is probably more fun with friends than with a bunch of folks you barely know.

Not that this's in any way inspired by the fact I certainly wouldn't have gone to Panasonic if it hadn't been for Evan and Alabama ;-)
DumbJaques
Forums Staff: Administrator

Post by DumbJaques »

the Panasonic's bizzare, and it requires a cohesive and balanced team, which you're highly unlikely to get in an all-star team.

Also, since the Panasonic's so bizzare, unless you prep for it you're liable not to get very far and spend most of your time hanging around Disney World, which is probably more fun with friends than with a bunch of folks you barely know.
Um. . . what? Are you actually familiar with the recent history of Panasonic's tournament? Even if you're not, I don't understand why an all-star team would be less likely to be cohesive and balanced; if you could choose your players, you could structure the team however you wanted. In any event, the claim that a cohesive and balanced all-star team is "highly unlikely" has a counter-example in like the last 10 championship teams.
Sen. Estes Kefauver (D-TN)
Chairman of Anti-Music Mafia Committee

Post by Sen. Estes Kefauver (D-TN) »

And the top 3 from last year alone.
Charlie Dees, North Kansas City HS '08
"I won't say more because I know some of you parse everything I say." - Jeremy Gibbs

"At one TJ tournament the neg prize was the Hampshire College ultimate frisbee team (nude) calender featuring one Evan Silberman. In retrospect that could have been a disaster." - Harry White
quizbowllee
Auron

Post by quizbowllee »

DumbJaques wrote:
the Panasonic's bizzare, and it requires a cohesive and balanced team, which you're highly unlikely to get in an all-star team.

Um. . . what? Are you actually familiar with the recent history of Panasonic's tournament? Even if you're not, I don't understand why an all-star team would be less likely to be cohesive and balanced; if you could choose your players, you could structure the team however you wanted. In any event, the claim that a cohesive and balanced all-star team is "highly unlikely" has a counter-example in like the last 10 championship teams.
I think that James is assuming that the "All-Star" team would simply be the top scorers from the ASCA State Tournament. I can see where this would lead to a pretty weak team. The top players will often have a lot of the same knowledge. Also, I know from tournaments where I am allowed to bring more than one team that some team's #2 and #3 players are often better than other teams' best. However, when going strictly by PPG at one tournament, those players suffer from being on a true team. Some players who got "All-Star" status at ASCA State are from one-man teams.

Now, if Alabama decided to have some sort of tryout and send the BEST POSSIBLE group of "All-Stars" to Panasonic, as opposed to simply the top scorers at one tournament, then I guarantee Alabama would perform better than ever at Panasonic. But, Alabama isn't going to do that anytime soon. For now, we'll keep sending the ASCA winner.

Now... Had Brindlee Mountain won the ASCA title, I was probably going to make some people mad. I was going to request that we use the prize money - that has always gone towards attending Panasonic - to help pay for PACE and NAQT Nationals. I think that the state champion should be allowed to choose what to do with the money. I also think that a school team should compete in a national tournament against other school teams. If Alabama wants to continue to send a representative to Panasonic, then ASCA needs to get with the times and send the best possible team - one made up of of the best players that complement each other as much as possible.
Matthew D
Yuna

Post by Matthew D »

Personally, I agree with you Lee.
I honestly think that when this policy was started Pansonic was about the only one around and we know how we are about changing things in Alabama... :roll:
quizbowllee
Auron

Post by quizbowllee »

I think it is pretty obvious that Indian Springs, Brindlee Mountain, and LAMP were the top three in the state this year - by a long shot.

Unfortunately, LAMP and Brindlee Mountain really managed to dodge one another at most of the tournaments that we both attended. That one may be too close to call.

I know that ISS is losing their team next year - unless something has changed. Who will LAMP lose? David, are you a senior this year?

Brindlee Mountain loses no one. The whole team will be back for their Senior year.
DZ_LAMP
Lulu

Post by DZ_LAMP »

Indeed I am a senior this year and therefore will be leaving for a better place...not saying AL is a bad place.

Since I havent said anything as of yet about ASCA state, let me reminisce. First of all I want to congratulate ISS on their win and wish them all the luck at Panasonic. After we barely lost to them in the prelims, I thought that with David's (from ASFA) theory (about how a lose to an evenly matched team in the prelims would yield a win in the playoffs) on our side, we would be the champions. Unfortunately that did not hold true. Indian Springs played extremely well in the playoffs (like they have been doing all year) and beat us handily. I also want to congratulate Brindlee Mountain and Hoover and their 3rd and 4th place wins.

I agree with Lee in that it was a shame that Brindlee Mountain and LAMP did not compete head to head more this year. Perhaps we will meet some round at NAQT nationals.

Since ISS might no longer have a team and LAMP is losing 4 players off Varsity, the 2007-2008 season maybe the Year of the Brindlee Mountain. But dont get too complacent because I know for a fact that LAMP as well as many other schools have rising stars that are hungry for a taste of victory.

I have had a wonderful time these 4 years on the high school quiz bowl circuit, and I wish all the underclassmen the best of luck next year.
quizbowllee
Auron

Post by quizbowllee »

DZ_LAMP wrote:Indeed I am a senior this year and therefore will be leaving for a better place...not saying AL is a bad place.

Since I havent said anything as of yet about ASCA state, let me reminisce. First of all I want to congratulate ISS on their win and wish them all the luck at Panasonic. After we barely lost to them in the prelims, I thought that with David's (from ASFA) theory (about how a lose to an evenly matched team in the prelims would yield a win in the playoffs) on our side, we would be the champions. Unfortunately that did not hold true. Indian Springs played extremely well in the playoffs (like they have been doing all year) and beat us handily. I also want to congratulate Brindlee Mountain and Hoover and their 3rd and 4th place wins.

I agree with Lee in that it was a shame that Brindlee Mountain and LAMP did not compete head to head more this year. Perhaps we will meet some round at NAQT nationals.

Since ISS might no longer have a team and LAMP is losing 4 players off Varsity, the 2007-2008 season maybe the Year of the Brindlee Mountain. But dont get too complacent because I know for a fact that LAMP as well as many other schools have rising stars that are hungry for a taste of victory.

I have had a wonderful time these 4 years on the high school quiz bowl circuit, and I wish all the underclassmen the best of luck next year.
The odds of LAMP and BMHS playing each other at NAQT are pretty slim. But, it might happen.

Thanks for predicting us to win ASCA next year. I think we would be the logical choice for frontrunner right now. Hoover has got some strong under-classmen, but I'm hoping that my group will really buckle down when it hits them that it is their senior year and this is their last shot.

Good luck at Nationals. We're looking forward to it.

-Lee