Mailing list: West Virginia Tournaments 2006-07

Dormant threads from the high school sections are preserved here.
sweaver
Lulu

Mailing list: West Virginia Tournaments 2006-07

Post by sweaver »

If anyone would like to get on the e-mailing list for West Virginia QB tournaments, let me know. Those of you in or near border counties might want to see if there is one nearby. I recognize a couple names here already on the list, but there might be others.

I would also like to publicize tournaments in other states near WV's borders to our schools. I'd like to encourage some of our teams to travel a bit, although with high gas and diesel prices that can be chancy.
Byko
Yuna

Post by Byko »

These days, eastern West Virginia is considered metro Washington DC. So, as a Marylander, please add me on to the e-mail list at [email protected].
Dave Bykowski
Furman '00
Michigan '02
PACE 1998-2009
Director, JROTC National Academic Bowl Championship
Howard
Tidus

Post by Howard »

Please add us as well.

John Gilbert
Howard High School
howitsac-at-gmail.d.o.t.com
jglibbo-at-yahoo.d.o.t.com
John Gilbert
Coach, Howard High School Academic Team
Ellicott City, MD

"John Gilbert is a quiz bowl god" -- leftsaidfred
sweaver
Lulu

Post by sweaver »

Actually, you guys might help me....we get little from the eastern part of the state, although I have heard rumors of schools like Martinsburg playing Maryland teams. Any truth?

The farthest east we had tournaments this past year was Bridgeport (Harrison County, near Clarksburg) and Tygarts Valley (Randolph County, near Elkins).
Howard
Tidus

Post by Howard »

I don't recall seeing any WV schools in the DC area tournaments, but I do seem to recall at least one going to Spotswood (near Harrisonburg, VA).
John Gilbert
Coach, Howard High School Academic Team
Ellicott City, MD

"John Gilbert is a quiz bowl god" -- leftsaidfred
msuter
Lulu

Post by msuter »

Ripley has often participated in Spotswood's ACT I and/or ACT II. Ripley, which is near Parkersburg, is all the way across the state from Spotswood, which is in Rockingham County and borders Pendleton County, W. Va. Spotswood has also competed in tournaments in Charleston, Huntington, Parkersburg, and Buckhannon areas but they are overnight trips.

A few years ago, Oak Glen, from near Wheeling, came to Spotswood, but that was a weekend trip for their team. I believe their coach has since retired. We have tried contacting teams in the Morgantown area (4 hours away) but to no avail. I wish there were some QB teams in eastern W. Va.
Matthew D
Yuna

Post by Matthew D »

Does Oak Hill have a team? Just wondering because my wife has family there
Matt Dennis
Coach DAR Quizbowl Team
AKKOLADE
Sin

Post by AKKOLADE »

Matthew D wrote:Does Oak Hill have a team? Just wondering because my wife has family there
They did at one point in time, and if I recall correctly they were dominant in the mid-90s. I believe their coach passed away, though, and the team wasn't able to find a successor. They more or less fell off the map around 2000.
Matthew D
Yuna

Post by Matthew D »

That is sad to hear.. I hope that someone decides to take the mantle and get a team going again...
Matt Dennis
Coach DAR Quizbowl Team
STPickrell
Auron

Post by STPickrell »

It'd be kinda neat to see the Oak Hill Academy of Applied Basketball field a team too. :o)

Pocahantas County (WVA) has some form of a team; Marian, did I email you their coach's address?? I also saw Moorefield (which is on the VA border) fielding a team for some random tournament, but did not get a contact.

The Eastern Panhandle seems to have some sort of ACE-type competition (with rounds for math, science, English, social studies and all-around) among its five large public schools. I was able to get off the Martinsburg HS webpage a name for a coach, but have not checked in probably two years now. Maybe if someone from WVA called or emailed they might be inclined to talk further.

One of the main objections the ACE format teams have to traditional quizbowl is the smaller amount of student participation -- while everyone wants to win, the ACE format does allow for 16-20 students to play whereas traditional quizbowl would only allow 4-6 students to play if set up incorrectly.
msuter
Lulu

Post by msuter »

I have had all the eastern W. Va. teams that I could find contacts for on my mailing list for the past several years and have had no response from any of them. I think they are as dedicated to their ACE-type format as most of southwestern Virginia is.
sweaver
Lulu

Post by sweaver »

I have tried e-mailing Martinsburg's coach, but to no avail. Or was that to Coach Noah Vale? I get confused.

At any rate, I don't believe Oak Hill (in the southern part of WV) has fielded a team, but Oak Glen (in the northern panhandle) used to until their coach died in an auto accident a few years ago. No one picked it up after that, which is a problem we often have. I have talked to the coach at Moorefield, and they went to the Tygarts Valley tournament, but did not come to our state tournament. I hope to encourage them to do more.

Pocahontas County used to do quiz bowl, but for the last several years they have only done Science Bowl.

I will add all who request to the WV e-mailing list. Not too many mailings in the summer, but about weekly during the school year, as Mr. Pickrell and others can attest.
joecaul
Lulu

Post by joecaul »

Please add Blake High School (Silver Spring, MD)

Coach Joe Caulfield
[email protected]
sweaver
Lulu

Post by sweaver »

Done.
mhanna
Lulu

Post by mhanna »

Please add me to the list.

Mac Hanna
Aiken High