Kentucky 2006-2007

Dormant threads from the high school sections are preserved here.
EricLeMaster
Wakka

Post by EricLeMaster »

bereabeast wrote:"And after moving to an odd bounceback bonus, we lose by 1. "

i find the question they lost on really funny
something to the extent of: A unit of distance, varying at different periods and in different countries, in English-speaking countries usually estimated roughly at 3 miles (4.8 kilometers) or also known as a loose group of individuals with a common goal.

... ... ...hmmmm is that a queue?
... ...no, its a league,
middle school question.

No need for negativity... keep the bashing to yourself.
Mephistopheles
Lulu

Momentum Cepheid and Nova

Post by Mephistopheles »

I read those two inquiries about momentum and cepheid variables, and I must say, I'm not very impressed. Momentum is equal to inertia times velocity. Therefore, they cannot be equivalent, as velocity may differ. Cepheids always work in exact cycles. Variable stars do not have to. Novas are most likely too specific as well. I must agree though that "-519" is a bit harsh and unrealistic. But alas, that's Governor's Cup.
I am Spartacus.
brownboy79
Rikku

Post by brownboy79 »

I disagree with the Cepheid vs. Cepheid Variables response by the last poster. I would accept one for the other.

Anyhow, evidence for the discrimination is based almost entirely on circumstantial anecdotes which I have seen. Essentially, teams like Johnson, Manual, Danville, etc. often are on the bad end of rulings. Frankly, nobody likes teams that win often, and sad as it may be, people will try to beat more established teams by hook or crook if it can help their team get better footing.
Essentially, I'm pushing for moderators and judges having less control over acceptance and denial. The questions should have possible alternate answers listed, along with specification of a certain answer being acceptable before points in the question. Namely, stuff like saying Demeter before the word "Roman" is said.
Mephistopheles
Lulu

Cepheid

Post by Mephistopheles »

Papa- I believe you misunderstood my point. The debate is not between "Cepheid" and "Cepheid Variable," but rather between "Cepheid" and "Variable Star." I agree that the former two are equivalent, but the latter two are not, especially since the question stated that the changes in brightness may or may not occur in set cycles. Cepheid vs Cepheid Variable would be correct because the first implies the second. Cepheid vs Variable Star is incorrect because the first is a subgroup of the second in the same way that "white dwarf" will never be accepted as correct if the answer is simply "star."

For the "dual federalism" call that occured in that same game, just as the inquiries came back, one of my friends discovered that he owned a US Government and Politics book, which included two seperate entries for "Federalism" and "Dual Federalism." Of course, that is just the book talking and may be completely wrong for all I know.

But nevertheless, that was an exciting game to watch and one of closest competitions I've seen all year, and though discrimination may occur, it should balance out in the end.

And for that person who posted something about the free bonus, negativity is really unnecessary. :wink:
I am Spartacus.
djones
Wakka

Post by djones »

For all Kentucky teams wanting an NAQT warm-up for the state championship, Wright State University will be hosting an NAQT tournament on Saturday, April 14th.

Wright State is located in Dayton, Ohio, about an hour north of Cincinnati. We have already received interest from teams from several states, and would love to have some Kentucky representation as well.

To register, please go to: http://www.wright.edu/~david.jones/ and click on the link for Rowdy Raider Invitational. We are using IS-62.

Each school is guaranteed 8 games (7 round robin games in the morning and then three flights of single elimination tournament matches- one for teams 1-8, one for 9-16 and one for 17-24).

Each school can bring up to 3 teams. $60 for the first team, $40 for each additional team. There is a $10 discount for buzzers, maximum 2 discounts per school.
brownboy79
Rikku

Post by brownboy79 »

I started a GovCup thread in the Theory forum, just to see what people think.
mknupp
Lulu

Post by mknupp »

We are pleased to announce the following selections for "Team Kentucky" to compete in the Panosonic Academic Challenge:

Rachel Beckman
Kevin Cantrell
Papa Chakravarthy
Kipp Mayne
DJ Sterling
John Liu
EricLeMaster
Wakka

Post by EricLeMaster »

mknupp wrote:We are pleased to announce the following selections for "Team Kentucky" to compete in the Panosonic Academic Challenge:

Rachel Beckman
Kevin Cantrell
Papa Chakravarthy
Kipp Mayne
DJ Sterling
John Liu
That will be one heck of a team... congratulations to all of those selected and good luck at the PAC! :)
EricLeMaster
Wakka

Post by EricLeMaster »

brownboy79
Rikku

Post by brownboy79 »

Who's hyped for the new govcup? I know I am.
Byko
Yuna

Post by Byko »

Horray for progress in Kentucky!

Seriously, I don't mean to pick on Virginia, but I'd advice VHSL to take note of change #2 in Quick Recall in Kentucky:
2. When a question is interrupted with an incorrect answer by the first team, the moderator shall begin re-reading at the beginning of the sentence that was interrupted, not at the beginning of the question. Rationale: Re-reading the entire question wastes time.
I think all of the changes in Quick Recall in Kentucky are good ones. DISCLAIMER: It is possible I may be writing questions for Kentucky next season.
Dave Bykowski
Furman '00
Michigan '02
PACE 1998-2009
Director, JROTC National Academic Bowl Championship
First Chairman
Auron

Post by First Chairman »

Don't you all mean the "Kentucky Cup of Tomorrow"? :cool: :cool: :cool:
Emil Thomas Chuck, Ph.D.
Founder, PACE
Facebook junkie and unofficial advisor to aspiring health professionals in quiz bowl
---
Pimping Green Tea Ginger Ale (Canada Dry)
brownboy79
Rikku

Post by brownboy79 »

You know what Kentucky needs? Power marks.
J C Bennett
Lulu

Post by J C Bennett »

Papa, one thing I like about you is, you don't waste any time. :wink:
EricLeMaster
Wakka

Post by EricLeMaster »

brownboy79 wrote:You know what Kentucky needs? Power marks.
I like that idea!

I don't much care for the idea of negs, though. I hope KAAC never resorts to that, lol.

The longer question-length this year was fantastic. I wouldn't say full-out pyramid-style is the way to go, but one or two more sentences are nice.