Online practice

Dormant threads from the high school sections are preserved here.
chaska
Lulu

Online practice

Post by chaska »

Hey all. Longtime reader, first-time poster.

Just wondering if you guys had any favorite online quiz sites, IRC quiz rooms, or places to compete in something similar to quiz bowl online. Seems like most of the sites or IRC rooms I find ask way too many trivia questions and way too few significant knowledge questions, or they're in such obnoxious formats that it's not even fun.
Matt Weiner
Sin

Post by Matt Weiner »

Collegiate packets are often played in #quizbowl on irc.slashnet.org. Warning, this is a chat room for collegiate quizbowl players, questions are at that difficulty level and we do not censor ourselves, so high schoolers attend at your own risk.
DumbJaques
Forums Staff: Administrator

Post by DumbJaques »

I frequently set up aim chatrooms for running questions. Competition tends to be top high school players from around the country/some very good undergraduate college players, but anyone and everyone is welcome.

There's not an organized system or anything, but I'm online a lot and have lots of SNs to pick from, so IM me at <volkov3k> if you're interested.

Oh, as for censorsing, I will merely say that Walter Johnson players frequent our chat rooms, and are far, far too entertaining to miss. Enter at your own risk. Kind of.
Chris Ray
OSU
University of Chicago, 2016
University of Maryland, 2014
ACF, PACE
brownboy79
Rikku

Post by brownboy79 »

While I certainly do not qualify as one of the top players from around the country, I will say that the online questions serve as excellent practice. Although they do take time to get used to, they really help learning depth as well as overcoming intimidation. Most of the players are from the DC area or from other (relatively) big name schools. I was definitely intimidated the first time I "played", but it really is a lot of fun. As for censorship, I would definitely not advise anyone to play if they do not enjoy uninhibited cursing. Mostly by me after I give something gloriously incorrect.
Trevkeeper
Tidus

Post by Trevkeeper »

If I'm ever bored and feel like getting trounced, perhaps I'll IM you, DumbJacques.

Anyways, I've never heard of these online practices. I assume they are great fun, but probably not as cool as real practice, since there is no buzzer.
Nick, IU and Aegis Questions
davinci
Lulu

Post by davinci »

well they usually cut paste one line of the question into the chat room and you type "buzz" (or "che" in the case of J.O. from SC) so its fairly realistic and its good practice
bigtrain
Rikku

Post by bigtrain »

DumbJacques wrote:Oh, as for censorsing, I will merely say that Walter Johnson players frequent our chat rooms, and are far, far too entertaining to miss.
More like you all frequent our chat. Don't forget, Braun and I were the ones that set that thing up two years ago.
Anyone who would like to join may IM me at <thepriceiscorect> or Chris at <volkov3k>.
Alex Price
Walter Johnson 2006
Emory University 2010
solonqb
Rikku

Post by solonqb »

Where is Braun going to college, BTW?
Noah Rahman
Welcome to Simbabwe, where the property is already owned and the houses built and you compete to burn and dispossess them. Compete with Robert Mugabe, Canaan Banana, Cecil Rhodes and Sir Godfrey Huggins to earn a place on the all-time EU travel ban list!
fool_by_compulsion
Lulu

Post by fool_by_compulsion »

Hmmm...these AIM pracs sound like fun. My parents will probably shoot me for starting something else that will keep me on the computer even MORE but...I DON'T CARE. Bwahahaha...

Anyway, yeah, I'll probably be getting in touch with you if I happen to run into you online, DumbJaques (Chris Ray, yes?).
DumbJaques
Forums Staff: Administrator

Post by DumbJaques »

Where is Braun going to college, BTW?
Maryland. Apparently he startled one of my teammates in the parking lot at orientation by slamming on the breaks at around 30 MPH to get out of his car and yell "I remember you from quizbowl!" I suppose this doesn't necessarily confirm that he's going to Maryland, though. . .
Anyway, yeah, I'll probably be getting in touch with you if I happen to run into you online, DumbJaques (Chris Ray, yes?).
Yep. Just IM me anytime.
Chris Ray
OSU
University of Chicago, 2016
University of Maryland, 2014
ACF, PACE