Nationals: Who's the George Mason?

Dormant threads from the high school sections are preserved here.
First Chairman
Auron

Nationals: Who's the George Mason?

Post by First Chairman »

I guess since I've been hired, I guess I should start a different thread and then go back to watching and listening...

Which team out there has the potential for being the dark horse, or the quiz bowl "George Mason" that can surprise many?

Anyone from SoCal, Alabama, Illinois, or wherever can pipe in. :)
Emil Thomas Chuck, Ph.D.
Founder, PACE
Facebook junkie and unofficial advisor to aspiring health professionals in quiz bowl
---
Pimping Green Tea Ginger Ale (Canada Dry)
Trevkeeper
Tidus

Post by Trevkeeper »

I'd say that Auburn (IL) would have a chance to make some noise, but last I heard they weren't going.
Nick, IU and Aegis Questions
Zip Zap Rap Pants
Yuna

Post by Zip Zap Rap Pants »

Stat74 mentioned Millburn (NJ) in the other thread. I think a lot of the NJ, NY, PA (besides State College), and DE (meaning WC for the most part) teams are really unknown this year because they've rarely had a chance to face the full lineups of any of the DC area regulars or other better-known teams such as State College and ones from Ohio. I know they're too nice to admit it, but I really think Wilmington Charter could be the dark horse this year. They qualified 3+ teams for HSNCT, though I think they're only taking 2.
Matt Morrison, William & Mary '10, Tour Guide &c., MA in History '12?

"All the cool people eat mangoes while they smoke blunts and do cannonballs off a trampoline into my hot tub..."
-Matt Weiner

“In beer there is strength,
In wine is wisdom,
In water is germs.”
-Unknown

new email: mpmorr at email dot wm dot edu
bigtrain
Rikku

Post by bigtrain »

Millburn and Santa Monica are my picks.
Alex Price
Walter Johnson 2006
Emory University 2010
Chico the Rainmaker
Wakka

Post by Chico the Rainmaker »

Thanks for the endorsement, bigtrain. I too would like to think that we could contend, probably not win but at least contend. Last year our team finished 20th at NAQT nats and, although none of them are returning, I've been told (I wasn't on the team last year) that this year's team would beat last year's team; our coach has said he'd "cry" if we do worse than last year's team. Should be interesting.
James(NotI)
Tufts '10
DumbJaques
Forums Staff: Administrator

Post by DumbJaques »

The dirty Canadians
Chris Ray
OSU
University of Chicago, 2016
University of Maryland, 2014
ACF, PACE
mentalchocolate
Wakka

Post by mentalchocolate »

I believe McQuaid from New York may be a surprising team. In the MITBAT tournament they handed our team the largest loss we have sustained this season and eventually defeated Georgetown to win the tournament. They impressed me when we played them, but since I have only seen them once I cannot testify to their consistency.