NAQT and PACE-Who's going to which?

Dormant threads from the high school sections are preserved here.
quizbowllee
Auron

NAQT and PACE-Who's going to which?

Post by quizbowllee »

As the year is winding down and the big National Tournaments loom over the horizon, I'm just wodering what teams are planning to attend which tournaments this year. If you are choosing one over the other, why? Is anyone planning to go to one of the other National Tournaments?

Brindlee Mountain High School plans to bring at least 2 teams to both NAQT and PACE. Both of these tournaments were great last year, and hopefully we will continue to be able to attend both.

Who else can we plan on seeing?
Lee Henry
AP Lit and APUSH Teacher
Quiz Bowl Coach
West Point High School
President-Elect/Past President- Alabama Scholastic Competition Association (ASCA)
DrakeRQB
Rikku

Re: NAQT and PACE-Who's going to which?

Post by DrakeRQB »

quizbowllee wrote:Who else can we plan on seeing?
You'll see me @ PACE as a moderator. :grin:

Dr. Chuck, can we get a preliminary field?
Alex Drake
Robinson HS
Concord, N.C.

http://www.robinsonquizbowl.com
Chico the Rainmaker
Wakka

Post by Chico the Rainmaker »

Santa Monica will be attending NAQT Nats with one team but not PACE. The reasoning for this is a) lack of funding; it should be interesting to see if we can even raise the money we need for NAQT, and b) I don't think our coach has heard of PACE....
James(NotI)
Tufts '10
Dan Greenstein
Yuna

Post by Dan Greenstein »

RandomScreenname wrote:Santa Monica will be attending NAQT Nats with one team but not PACE. The reasoning for this is a) lack of funding; it should be interesting to see if we can even raise the money we need for NAQT, and b) I don't think our coach has heard of PACE....
Not much you can do about (a), but there is plenty you can do about (b).
Lapego1
Tidus

Post by Lapego1 »

There's somewhat of a field update under the PACE NSC Info thread, but I'm thinking more teams will be registering in the coming days for the early discount (100 some dollars I think).
Mehdi Razvi
Maggie Walker Gov. School '07
University of Pennsylvania '11

"A goodly number of scientists are not only narrow-minded and dull, but also just stupid."
-James D. Watson (1928-)
rchschem
Yuna

Post by rchschem »

So long as organizers continue scheduling tournaments during final exams, Raleigh Charter will only honor those that don't. Which means PACE. :)

Of course, our stupid legislators could stop passing stupid laws mandating a late start date for the year so that we have to be in school after Memorial Day, but that's another thread. Someday NC will stop doing everything that Va. does. It's bad enough that now we have a Kings Dominion law and a lottery, but now we're giving them Dr. Chuck, too. I say we invade.

Eric
Stained Diviner
Auron

Post by Stained Diviner »

New Trier will be at NAQT. The location was the deciding factor.
David Reinstein
Head Writer and Editor for Scobol Solo, Masonics, and IESA; TD for Scobol Solo and Reinstein Varsity; IHSSBCA Board Member; IHSSBCA Chair (2004-2014); PACE President (2016-2018)
bigtrain
Rikku

Post by bigtrain »

Although the final decisions havn't been made, preliminarily Walter Johnson plans to attend both. I'll be at Panasonic too.
Alex Price
Walter Johnson 2006
Emory University 2010
jbarnes112358
Tidus

Post by jbarnes112358 »

rchschem wrote: Someday NC will stop doing everything that Va. does. It's bad enough that now we have a Kings Dominion law and a lottery, but now we're giving them Dr. Chuck, too. I say we invade.

Eric

Yeah. Why did NC have to go and get a lottery? We were enjoying those extra funds from the NC gamblers. Dr. Chuck? We're glad to have him. I knew he was fed up with Duke's Quizbowl team, but didn't know he would just up and leave like that.

And on top of everything else, NC is starting to get competitive in H.S. quizbowl, too. It appears the invasion has already begun.

Oh yeah. I almost forgot the topic of the thread: We are sending three teams to both PACE and NAQT nationals.
First Chairman
Auron

Re: NAQT and PACE-Who's going to which?

Post by First Chairman »

DrakeRQB wrote:
quizbowllee wrote:Who else can we plan on seeing?
You'll see me @ PACE as a moderator. :grin:

The field is being continuously updated in the other thread on PACE NSC 2006 info.

Besides, in due time, I'm sure I'll still be involved with North Carolina in some capacity... I just have to figure out a faster way to skip through all of Virginia. :) Of course, my "training" in non-profit management is in line more with North Carolina law, dagnabit.
Emil Thomas Chuck, Ph.D.
Founder, PACE
Facebook junkie and unofficial advisor to aspiring health professionals in quiz bowl
---
Pimping Green Tea Ginger Ale (Canada Dry)
BuzzerZen
Auron

Post by BuzzerZen »

On an on-topic note, TJ will have 3 teams at NAQT and 2 at PACE. The current outlook for our A team at Pace is that not more than 50% of the usual A-team will be there, due to graduation. If it were a year in the future, and Dr. Chuck were hosting Pace at GMU, we'd just stroll over to the Patriot Center for graduation, but that's the way it goes.
Evan Silberman
Hampshire College 07F

How are you actually reading one of my posts?
First Chairman
Auron

Post by First Chairman »

BuzzerZen wrote:On an on-topic note, TJ will have 3 teams at NAQT and 2 at PACE. The current outlook for our A team at Pace is that not more than 50% of the usual A-team will be there, due to graduation. If it were a year in the future, and Dr. Chuck were hosting Pace at GMU, we'd just stroll over to the Patriot Center for graduation, but that's the way it goes.
Well, give me at least one year to make sure I get the political capital to pull it off first. :) And at least let me make sure we can actually host an event first.
Emil Thomas Chuck, Ph.D.
Founder, PACE
Facebook junkie and unofficial advisor to aspiring health professionals in quiz bowl
---
First Chairman
Auron

Post by First Chairman »

jbarnes112358 wrote:We're glad to have him. I knew he was fed up with Duke's Quizbowl team, but didn't know he would just up and leave like that.

And on top of everything else, NC is starting to get competitive in H.S. quizbowl, too. It appears the invasion has already begun.
To be fair to the kids, it's not the entire quizbowl team, but just some of the leadership who didn't do as much as I would have expected them to do. As student organizations advisors, we all know how tough it is to adjust every other year or so to the new batch of kids who have different leadership skills (or few) and different academic motivations. Add to that my own distractions looking for the job, and I think the kids were expecting me to push them more than I was able to do. I seem to assume that college students expect to be perceived as mature, responsible adults... and my student advisor group has stated that the club should be about them and not about me. I help move the mountains that have to be moved, but I don't build the roads after I move them.

Hence I am still very much interested in making sure that we develop leadership skills even in high school quiz bowl. There will be a point where one has to learn how to run these events in college when there is no safety net and responsibilities change. I know how much more "control" I could have as an advisor for a high school club compared to how much I have as an advisor for a college club. Hence, my various remarks intimating that successful programs in high school result in kids going to college prepared to run college quiz bowl programs rather than dropping out. I doubt we'd ever get every student, but it is important to make sure that the game remains exciting as we go through the high school-college transition and (if necessary) beyond.
Emil Thomas Chuck, Ph.D.
Founder, PACE
---
jrbarry
Tidus

Post by jrbarry »

Brookwood will enter one team in NAQT Nationals. My senior captain made that choice this year (Jeopardy tryouts tipped him in NAQT's direction) as my two seniors in 2005 made our Nationals choices last year.

Somewhere in the late 1990s, I stopped emphasizing preparation for Nationals. Frankly, I do not care much IF we even enter a Nationals much less which one we should enter if we do go. We go to Nationals to have a fun trip as a reward for winning tournaments during the year. My team and I have other objectives.
BobGHHS
Rikku

Post by BobGHHS »

We will be at NAQT for the first time since 2003... hope to hit some of you up Friday night for scrimmages...
Bob Kilner
Kent State '06 - Boise State '10
Former Coach, Garfield Hts (OH) (2001-08)
Former Coach, Eastlake North HS (OH) (2015-22)

"I'd sooner fail than not be among the greatest." - John Keats
brownboy79
Rikku

Post by brownboy79 »

Dunbar will send 2 teams to NAQT. We probably shall not send a third. We aren't going to Pace.
Manyo2
Lulu

Post by Manyo2 »

As far as I know, we are going to attend both. We may send a 2nd team to NAQT, I'm not toally sure though.
jbarnes112358
Tidus

Post by jbarnes112358 »

Just a reminder to those teams planning to attend PACE, procrastination will be costly: $350--->$525 after this weekend.

Anyone planning to use the dorms? We plan to just use a hotel, as it seems less complicated, and potentially just as cheap.
quizbowllee
Auron

Post by quizbowllee »

jbarnes112358 wrote:Just a reminder to those teams planning to attend PACE, procrastination will be costly: $350--->$525 after this weekend.

Anyone planning to use the dorms? We plan to just use a hotel, as it seems less complicated, and potentially just as cheap.
Yeah, we'll be in a hotel. I hate to not use the dorms, seeing as there was probably a lot of trouble put into securing that for us. But, when I had a team meeting with the kids and parents, the idea of staying in dorms wasn't exactly met with enthusiasm.

I wish there was an "official" hotel like last year. The Double Tree was nice!
Lee Henry
AP Lit and APUSH Teacher
Quiz Bowl Coach
West Point High School
President-Elect/Past President- Alabama Scholastic Competition Association (ASCA)
jbarnes112358
Tidus

Post by jbarnes112358 »

Are you driving to PACE? I assume that any Alabama locale with "mountain" in its name has to be in the northern part, right?

Durham should be easily driveable for many excellent teams in the Southeast and Mid-Atlantic regions. For others, RDU airport is convenient. There are tons of hotels in the area. Duke and UNC-Chapel Hill are very close. (College visits, anyone?) I hope to be in the area this weekend, so I might be able to scout out some hotels.

I see that several quality teams have already signed up, and I'm sure more are on the way. PACE is an excellent value; Excellent questions and strong competition. The free questions from previous tournaments for registered teams are probably worth a couple of hundred dollars, if you don't already have them.

We obviously like PACE. But, we also enjoy NAQT, which is why we are attending both. It is nice that they are not on back-to-back weekends this year, since we are incredibly still in school during those weeks. Our graduation is the day before PACE.
quizbowllee
Auron

Post by quizbowllee »

Yeah, we're driving. Not only are we driving, but we'll be riding on a big yellow, un-airconditioned school bus - to both Durham AND Chicago.

Our school system has been GREAT about everything we've ever needed, but won't budge on this. They say that for legal reasons we MUST take a county school bus. We could fly, but don't have the funds.

We do have the greatest bus driver in the world, though. She volunteers to take us to 30+ tournaments a year (between the middle and high school teams). She even convinced her daughter to postpone her wedding for a week so she could drive us to Durham - all for no pay. You can't get better than that!
Lee Henry
AP Lit and APUSH Teacher
Quiz Bowl Coach
West Point High School
jbarnes112358
Tidus

Post by jbarnes112358 »

quizbowllee wrote:
We do have the greatest bus driver in the world, though. She volunteers to take us to 30+ tournaments a year (between the middle and high school teams). She even convinced her daughter to postpone her wedding for a week so she could drive us to Durham - all for no pay. You can't get better than that!

Wow! Your driver deserves some sort of medal! So do you, for that matter. Amazing dedication!
quizbowllee
Auron

Post by quizbowllee »

jbarnes112358 wrote: Wow! Your driver deserves some sort of medal! So do you, for that matter. Amazing dedication!
I whole-heartedly agree. She is great. What's funny is when she comes in and watches the kids play and then yells at them more than I do about the stuff they miss. I remember at a tournament last year, our team captain said "Jane Goodall" for "Dian Fossey". After the round, Debbie (our driver) got him and said "Jane Goodall was chimps, you dufus. Gorillas in the Mist was Dian FREAKIN' FOSSEY!!!!" I laughed till I cried.

Anyway, that is way off-topic.

Some of you who just wrote "we'll be at PACE" or "We'll be at NAQT" didn't tell what school you were from. Perhaps I should know, but I don't. Could some of you possibly enlighten us (or me) to that information?
Lee Henry
AP Lit and APUSH Teacher
Quiz Bowl Coach
West Point High School
jbarnes112358
Tidus

Post by jbarnes112358 »

Perhaps, I didn't identify us.

Maggie Walker Governor's School will have 3 teams at both NAQT and PACE.
bsmith
Tidus

Post by bsmith »

Lisgar Collegiate from Ottawa will be attending NAQT. The school board and City of Ottawa have thrown in a lot of support for this, so hopefully the team will come up with some good results.
bigtrain
Rikku

Post by bigtrain »

so hopefully the team will come up with some good results.
That may be difficult given NAQT's American History distribution. At least they'll do well on those pesky hockey questions though :smile: .
Alex Price
Walter Johnson 2006
Emory University 2010
mlaird
Tidus

Post by mlaird »

It's looking like Loyola Academy will be sending one team to NAQT; but not PACE, because of geography.
Zip Zap Rap Pants
Yuna

Post by Zip Zap Rap Pants »

rchschem wrote:So long as organizers continue scheduling tournaments during final exams, Raleigh Charter will only honor those that don't. Which means PACE. :)

Eric
Exams during the weekend? Or maybe it's a Friday conflict.... Yea for us I know if that were ever a problem and we had to miss one day of exams, there's always an exam makeup day. At least NC isn't copying all the VA laws yet :wink:
Matt Morrison, William & Mary '10, Tour Guide &c., MA in History '12?

"All the cool people eat mangoes while they smoke blunts and do cannonballs off a trampoline into my hot tub..."
-Matt Weiner

“In beer there is strength,
In wine is wisdom,
In water is germs.”
-Unknown

new email: mpmorr at email dot wm dot edu
BuzzerZen
Auron

Post by BuzzerZen »

Canada, eh? If Shanghai American makes it back, that'll bring the country count for NAQT up to 3. Pretty cool, if you ask me. Although I do remember the SA kids grumbling about the American pop culture when we played them during not-in-the-playoffs scrimmage time on Sunday last year. That does tend to be a disadvantage for the out-of-country-ers. But it shouldn't matter for the Canadians, you guys just borrow our culture, right? Actually, isn't there some "At least 25% Canadian" rule for Canadian radio stations?
Evan Silberman
Hampshire College 07F

How are you actually reading one of my posts?
quizbowllee
Auron

Post by quizbowllee »

Perhaps soon NAQT will change the tournament to the NAQT High School World Championship Tournament (HSWCT).
Lee Henry
AP Lit and APUSH Teacher
Quiz Bowl Coach
West Point High School
rchschem
Yuna

Post by rchschem »

If we have Canadian teams, does that mean that any tossups they answer are only really worth 8 points?

We don't have exams on the weekend per se, but there is a Friday conflict with 2 and the remaining 4 are Monday and Tuesday, and these pesky kids like studying and being prepared. All that prep and their priorities are still out of whack.

Eric
Zip Zap Rap Pants
Yuna

haha yea to me the words "study" and "senior" have become incompatable, so I would consider myself a huge overachiever if I skipped a national tournament for exam study

"All the cool people eat mangoes while they smoke blunts and do cannonballs off a trampoline into my hot tub..."
-Matt Weiner

In wine is wisdom,
In water is germs.”
-Unknown

samer
Lulu

Post by samer »

rchschem wrote:Of course, our stupid legislators could stop passing stupid laws mandating a late start date for the year so that we have to be in school after Memorial Day, but that's another thread. Someday NC will stop doing everything that Va. does.
FWIW, I graduated from Danbury HS in Danbury, CT on June 24, 1994. So I'm not big on pity for "late" graduation dates. :twisted:

[Then again, that was the year we lost two days of school in March to the giant Comma of Death blizzard. There was so much snow that winter that there was still a patch of unmelted snow on the front lawn of my house until mid-June.]
samer dot ismail -at- gmail dot com / Samer Ismail, PACE co-founder, NAQT editor
miamiqb
Lulu

Post by miamiqb »

I'll be there as a moderator, bringing nuggets of wisdom from the Banana Republic
I like to eat peanut butter
linda cohn
Kimahri

Lakeside?

Post by linda cohn »

Does anyone know if Lakeside will be at NAQT this year? I don't know how anyone would, but I am wondering since last year they did so well- presumably just a one-hit wonder. If they are back, they probably will be pretty bad, since I saw their KMO score, which wasn't great.
jrbarry
Tidus

Post by jrbarry »

Eric Bell of NAQT listed (on this site) 66 teams that already have registered for NAQT nationals. Lakeside is listed as attending.
Zip Zap Rap Pants
Yuna

Yea looking at the stats I've noticed the top three players Lakeside had at hsnct last year graduated, and given that fact plus the lack of much noise you hear about them, plus the KMO score (if it was indeed not very good), they probably won't be a championship contender, or even a top 10 contender. I mean KMO largely depends on who you have available when you do it; in the fall we were missing Mark and Xun plus some others, but we had some decent support from non-quizbowlers who showed up.

I hate to get off topic here, but aside from this year's Big Six (TJ, MLW, Raleigh Charter, DCC, State College, RM), is there anybody else who's a serious contender? Maybe somebody from Texas or out west will come out of nowhere like Lakeside did last year, but that seems less likely (nobody from Cali seems to totally dominate, for instance). Maybe Danville or somebody will get up there...

-Matt Weiner

In wine is wisdom,
In water is germs.”
-Unknown

Trevkeeper
Tidus

Post by Trevkeeper »

Dunbar? Dorman? Brookwood?
Nick, IU and Aegis Questions
bigtrain
Rikku

Post by bigtrain »

Matt Morrison wrote:TJ, MLW, Raleigh Charter, DCC, State College, RM
Raleigh Charter won't be a contender at NAQT HSNCT because they won't be there.

Trevkeeper wrote:Dunbar? Dorman? Brookwood?
I saw Dorman play at Yale in a few games and, although they are very good, they really aren't in the same league as the aforementioned teams. Walton, Dunbar and Brookwood seem to be the best in the South, and therefore, have the best chance of being contenders; however, judging by Raleigh Charter's ability to destroy the field at Brookwood's tournament, I doubt that any of these teams will win or crack the top 6.

These posts should probably be moved to a nationals prognostication thread.
Last edited by bigtrain on Wed Apr 19, 2006 7:04 am, edited 1 time in total.
Alex Price
Walter Johnson 2006
Emory University 2010
Zip Zap Rap Pants
Yuna

bigtrain wrote:
Matt Morrison wrote:TJ, MLW, Raleigh Charter, DCC, State College, RM
Raleigh Charter won't be a contender at NAQT HSNCT because they won't be there.

Trevkeeper wrote:Dunbar? Dorman? Brookwood?
I saw Dorman play at Yale in a few games and they really aren't in the same league as the aforementioned teams. Walton, Dunbar and Brookwood seem to be the best in the South, and therefore, have the best chance of being contenders; however, judging by Raleigh Charter's ability to destroy the field at Brookwood's tournament, I doubt that any of these teams will win or crack the top 6.

These posts should probably be moved to a nationals prognostication thread.
Yea i'm sorry, i knew RC wasn't going to be at naqt, I guess I sort of had legitimate national titles (pace nsc/naqt hsnct) in general in mind, though at Chicago it's easier to find some upset team than at pace since a lot of western teams &c. don't come to pace. As for Dorman, it hasn't been posted on this website but at MITBAT they faced GDS and northeastern competition, and the top three were McQuaid Jesuit (don't ask me who they are...), GDS, and then Dorman. GDS beat them head-to-head in that tourney too, and this year they probably aren't even top 10 in Maryland-DC-VA (though they've had some good years in the past). As for Kentucky, Russell is considered roughly the 3rd best team in that state this year right? Well at Cav Open they finished a respectable though not incredibly impressive 7th or 8th, and I think they've been to a couple other tournaments in the area but I can't remember which, all I remember is they didn't do anything amazing. Well my point is, Dunbar has had trouble beating them in the past, and so if Dunbar is only marginally better than Russell, then they can't really be put in that top group. As for Danville, can't really say I know much about them.

Of course, a good portion of nationals results depend on who can show up for which teams, so of course I'm saying this with the assumption that all teams have their starting lineup, though as has been mentioned RC won't be at Chicago, plus TJ will be missing some seniors at Durham.

And yea, this probably should have gone to another thread. Lakeside discussion kind of sidetracked us here.... Sorry about that :oops:

-Matt Weiner

In wine is wisdom,
In water is germs.”
-Unknown

Trevkeeper
Tidus

Post by Trevkeeper »

Matt Morrison wrote: and the top three were McQuaid Jesuit (don't ask me who they are...)
Interestingly enough, they are going to be at NAQT HSNCT.
Nick, IU and Aegis Questions
jbarnes112358
Tidus

Post by jbarnes112358 »

Why all the talking trash, Matt? Perhaps in June you will have to play some of these teams you are dissing. You will see how good they are then, I reckon.
Zip Zap Rap Pants
Yuna

Trevkeeper wrote:
Matt Morrison wrote: and the top three were McQuaid Jesuit (don't ask me who they are...)
Interestingly enough, they are going to be at NAQT HSNCT.
Cool beans. Yea I hope that MITBAT tournament up there continues to fuel interest in quality, pyramidal quizbowl. Good luck to them.
jbarnes112358 wrote:Why all the talking trash, Matt? Perhaps in June you will have to play some of these teams you are dissing. You will see how good they are then, I reckon.
*Sigh* I guess this is the time for the token disclaimer, though I didn't even want to bring up this whole type of thing: I/Gov B would probably get beat by most of the teams here that I'm talking about. The only one of my aforementioned teams which I have personally faced this year to my recollection was Russell, which we beat in a fairly close game. When it comes to results (in this case or any other case) I'm not even going to speculate about how many times out of ten we should beat them or they should beat us or who "deserves" to win. If Michael Schumacher finishes poorly in a race because of engine trouble, that doesn't mean he's an awful driver, but at the same time the fact that he had bad luck isn't going to change the result. And for the most part, we often don't have much else besides results (or what someone else said the results were) to go by to compare quizbowl teams.

As a better metaphor, I would probably get beat by Detroit's Ben Wallace or Milwaukee's Andrew Bogut one on one pretty bad (even when I used to play basketball), and would at best be able to come out with a pulse rate. Still I'm fairly confident in saying no other team in the Eastern Conference can beat the Pistons in a series, but is that trash talking? One would have to be nearly mentally deranged to pick the Bucks over the Pistons in the playoffs, but yes the Pistons *could* be beat by them in a 7 game series and very easily *could* be beat by them in a single game. In the same sense, one would have to be nearly mentally disabled to pick any C or D team, or any team brand new to the quizbowl circuit, to beat, say, Detroit Catholic Central, in a given game. I mean it *could* happen, but statistically it's unlikely. My apologies to George Mason University, for I shouldn't have trashed talked them by having them lose in the first round of my bracket... (my humblest apologies to my skinny wallet for that as well...)

As for the chances for me/the B team, I'm just hoping we can make the playoffs at nationals. I don't "expect" to beat any of the teams I've mentioned, but it may or may not happen, and I'd at least like to think it *could* happen so as to stay hungry, which is the only way to play. With prognostication/comparing teams in general, I wasn't the first one to mention the Big Six as being this year's main contenders. And heck, at least I don't go out and release rankings like the California people do. I mean, I have no problem with that, but around here too many good teams would be offended at not making the list...

-Matt Weiner

In wine is wisdom,
In water is germs.”
-Unknown

jbarnes112358
Tidus

Post by jbarnes112358 »

Matt Morrison wrote: I don't "expect" to beat any of the teams I've mentioned, but it may or may not happen, and I'd at least like to think it *could* happen
Of course it could happen. You have an excellent team. I didn't mean to imply otherwise. My only point is that is is pointless, gratuitous, and even dangerous to judge teams on such limited knowledge. Sure, you are safe in saying those "big six" are excellent teams because you have seen them first hand several times. But, we will not know who else might be just as good, if not better, until we see them. Last year, we didn't know very much about Lakeside or Dupont Manual, and look how good they turned out to be.

The danger lies in possibly offending a team that you are not giving proper respect. If and when you do play them, they might be gunning for you with a little more intensity. But, if that is the chance you want to take, then be my guest, pass as much judgment as you like, based on whatever evidence you can muster.
MollyBlum
Lulu

Post by MollyBlum »

Danville will be heading to NAQT this year, though nowhere else (monetary concerns/graduation conflict). Insofar as comparing Dunbar to Russell, I would note that Russell did win the state tournament this year; I would also note that, in defense of Dunbar, their first team advanced to quarterfinals at Dorman, with their second team advancing to semi-finals there. As someone who has played both teams this year, duPont Manual and Dunbar are both excellent teams.
Zip Zap Rap Pants
Yuna

jbarnes112358 wrote:
Matt Morrison wrote: I don't "expect" to beat any of the teams I've mentioned, but it may or may not happen, and I'd at least like to think it *could* happen
Of course it could happen. You have an excellent team. I didn't mean to imply otherwise. My only point is that is is pointless, gratuitous, and even dangerous to judge teams on such limited knowledge. Sure, you are safe in saying those "big six" are excellent teams because you have seen them first hand several times. But, we will not know who else might be just as good, if not better, until we see them. Last year, we didn't know very much about Lakeside or Dupont Manual, and look how good they turned out to be.
That's why I was asking folks whether they thought anybody else could be a national title contender besides the Six, sort of like how people were discussing if anybody could beat TJ last year. I tend to believe that such discussion may be healthier and fairer to certain teams, because otherwise the idea of those six teams necessarily finishing in the top of the field would permeate unchallenged. With the more wide open possibilities this year, I would like for more teams to think they have a chance so as to be more confident about themselves and give their best game, because a win doesn't feel right if you were playing a team that wasn't doing its best. Lakeside we didn't know much about, but after DuPont won the Cav Open we kind of knew they were going to be good against teams besides those which they normally play in KY. I was basing much of what I said about KY teams on what Kentuckians had to say about it in their thread, so really my knowledge about DuPont this year (as well as other KY teams) is limited. Oh, but if y'all simply hadn't gone off an conspired to separate from your eastern brethren in 1792, we would see all y'all at State tourneys and wouldn' be havin' this darn counfounded discussion!
jbarnes112358 wrote: If and when you do play them, they might be gunning for you with a little more intensity.
I would have it no other way, and I don't see why you would either. If I was in second place behind Schumacher on the last lap, I would feel awful if he blew an engine. I want a team's best game, win or lose.

In southern gentry voice:
...Though they may own less plantations than us, from my several experiences with them, our fellow southrons in the Bluegrass state share the same gentlemanly and chivalrous nature as we in the miasmic Chesapeake region do, at least I can be certain of that! In any duel with a man from over the Cumberland Gap, after the observation of any flaw, for equity's sake I would exchange pistols with him faster than a cotton gin, though if he provide the instruments of death himself, I would accept his word as a golden truth that they are of equally capable constitutions.
Last edited by Zip Zap Rap Pants on Sun Apr 30, 2006 12:25 pm, edited 1 time in total.

-Matt Weiner

In wine is wisdom,
In water is germs.”
-Unknown

jbarnes112358
Tidus

Post by jbarnes112358 »

Hopefully, the field at PACE will grow. The teams registered so far seem to be of excellent quality but mostly southern. Hopefully, teams from more remote locales will make the trip to give the field a more national appearance. Perhaps Dr. Chuck could be persuaded to extend the deadline for the discounts in order to give further incentive to those teams that, like our own, are prone to procrastination. Perhaps a mileage rebate would help defray the expenses of teams that must travel longer distances.
First Chairman
Auron

Post by First Chairman »

Well, if people ask, I'll see what I can do, but a lot of it is because we have to put down a hefty deposit to use the NCSSM campus and a lot of other incidental costs to get the rooms and the housing. If I get a "ton" of teams to register, I can be more persuaded to waive that extra reg fee cost. But that's if we actually get a "ton."

In addition, I know this year I haven't been pressing on the advertising (because of my job search), and RDU is not a convenient hub location for a lot of programs. I doubt the concern over the Duke lacrosse team has anything to do with it, but I'm not sure whether teams do make decisions earlier than later. Of course, there isn't much I can do about graduation schedules.

Regardless, I think that overall our reg costs are less than most of the other nationals' reg costs. I am glad many of our teams have self-selected to attend, but I hope that most of the teams start thinking about lowering their bar on what they think they need to do to compete at our national tournament.

As long as the teams that register early do not feel disappointed. I do give a discount to those teams that do plan ahead of time to compete, and I don't want to establish a precedent that our early bird discounts are meaningless. I don't get that type of treatment when it comes to meetings I attend; if I miss a deadline by an hour, I can pay up to 50% more for my reg fees for those conferences... and they're not as willing to forgive me for my lack of planning foresight as I am for teams that may want to sneak in under the wire.

Basically, if anyone wants to compete, just contact me. We'll see what can be done.
Emil Thomas Chuck, Ph.D.
Founder, PACE
---
quizbowllee
Auron

Post by quizbowllee »

If you need extra teams just for the sake of having more teams, I've got enough players to field a third team... But it wouldn't be a very stron gone. Last year my "B" and "C" teams were a complete bust, finishing last and next-to-last. I told them that I would only take teams that I saw had put forth effort and had a fighting chance of at least winning a game or two.

I think my "A" and "B" teams are both ready, but I am willing to throw my "C" team in if needed. They'll be complete fodder, but they could use the experience. Just let me know, and I'll see if I can come up with the $$$.

Also, perhaps some of the other teams that are already registered are willing to bring another team or two.
Lee Henry
AP Lit and APUSH Teacher
Quiz Bowl Coach
West Point High School
btressler
Tidus

Post by btressler »

In the "who's good at NAQT" discussion, let me add one more name: Millburn (NJ)

In the two times Charter A played them the scores were tight. At Rutgers we had to come back from 80 down with 3 tossups to go and the Princeton match went to about tossup 19 I think.

At Princeton in the final they would have beat State College A had they converted tossup 20. At both tournaments they had only one loss by a small margin.

I'm not saying they'll win the whole thing, but I suspect if the same players are in attendance they'll finish well.

- Bill Tressler
Charter (DE)