Readiness for Competition

Dormant threads from the high school sections are preserved here.
Sir Thopas
Auron

Readiness for Competition

Post by Sir Thopas »

I recently started a quiz bowl team at my high school (I'm a freshman), and we've been practicing for a while now. The other members of the team appear to be getting a little bit restless, but my coach isn't sure if we're ready for competition yet. What's the general consensus on when a team should begin going to competitions?

By the way, it may be a moot point anyway, as there aren't any competitions left in the NYC area for the remainder, at least not in NAQT–does anyone know of any, NAQT or otherwise, that have slipped under my radar?

[EDIT: Ignore the last point; apparently I was blind to this very site!]
Last edited by Sir Thopas on Tue Mar 28, 2006 10:42 pm, edited 1 time in total.
The Time Keeper
Auron

Re: Readiness for Competition

Post by The Time Keeper »

metsfan001 wrote: What's the general consensus on when a team should begin going to competitions?
Provided funding isn't a problem you should be going as early and often as possible.
quizbowllee
Auron

Re: Readiness for Competition

Post by quizbowllee »

Dolemite wrote:
metsfan001 wrote: What's the general consensus on when a team should begin going to competitions?
Provided funding isn't a problem you should be going as early and often as possible.
Agreed. Take your licks. Get better. That's the way it goes.
Last edited by quizbowllee on Tue Mar 28, 2006 10:53 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Lee Henry
AP Lit and APUSH Teacher
Quiz Bowl Coach
West Point High School
President-Elect/Past President- Alabama Scholastic Competition Association (ASCA)
Matthew D
Yuna

Post by Matthew D »

Lee knows I agree with "go early, go often" thinking
Matt Dennis
Coach DAR Quizbowl Team
bigtrain
Rikku

Post by bigtrain »

Out of curiosity, what school do you go to?
To get info on tournaments around New York, I'd email Brother Nigel from Kellenberg Memorial (whose team runs LIFT), Alan(?) something, the coach of Half Hollow Hills West, and/or Seton Hall Prep (in New Jersey). Horace Greeley, White Plains and recently, Stuyvesant, also seem to be pretty active (although not usually on pyramidal), so you may want to contact them if you can find their contact info. Coming up, I believe there is a tournament in Bergen County, NJ that you may want to go to.
Alex Price
Walter Johnson 2006
Emory University 2010
NatusRoma
Lulu

Post by NatusRoma »

Bigtrain wrote:...Alan(?) something, the coach of Half Hollow Hills West...
The coach of Half Hollow Hills West is Alan Blayne.

Yale hosts a high school tournament each spring with house-written questions. We also host a fall tournament that has traditionally been Connecticut-only, but this past year was expanded to allow teams from surrounding states to compete. We need to talk to coaches both within Connecticut and without before deciding whether to open the field to other states again, but if you're interested in information about either, send me an e-mail.
Sir Thopas
Auron

Post by Sir Thopas »

bigtrain wrote:Out of curiosity, what school do you go to?
To get info on tournaments around New York, I'd email Brother Nigel from Kellenberg Memorial (whose team runs LIFT), Alan(?) something, the coach of Half Hollow Hills West, and/or Seton Hall Prep (in New Jersey). Horace Greeley, White Plains and recently, Stuyvesant, also seem to be pretty active (although not usually on pyramidal), so you may want to contact them if you can find their contact info. Coming up, I believe there is a tournament in Bergen County, NJ that you may want to go to.
I'd like to maintain some vestige of anonymity for now, so I won't divulge, but I'll try to contact those people, thanks.

And unfortunately, the tournament in Bergen was cancelled. =/