Solo

Dormant threads from the high school sections are preserved here.
fancynancy
Lulu

Solo

Post by fancynancy »

NC people--what if we had a high school solo tournament?
Nancy
Saint Mary's (Raleigh, NC) '07
Samford University '11
rchschem
Yuna

Post by rchschem »

It would be a gas. The problem is where? Travel is tough for a lot of teams. There is a big void between April 8 (state Science Olympiad) and April 29 (NCOAST), so there's time to do it.

Send out something on the NCATA listserv and see if anyone bites.

Eric
DrakeRQB
Rikku

Post by DrakeRQB »

I'm sure I have a couple of kids on my team that would bite. Keep us all posted.

EDIT: We've thrown the idea around of having a doubles tournament as part of the Robinson Invitational next spring. I think that would be very interesting.
Alex Drake
Robinson HS
Concord, N.C.

http://www.robinsonquizbowl.com
fancynancy
Lulu

Post by fancynancy »

I will post something, although April 15th would be out, as it is the day before Easter.
Nancy
Samford University '11
Red-necked Phalarope
Rikku

Post by Red-necked Phalarope »

I have no idea if UNC would be able to host something like that, but I imagine we would at the least have a few volunteers. I personally wouldn't be able to do the 22nd, though.

-Brice
DrakeRQB
Rikku

Post by DrakeRQB »

Well since it's Nancy's idea, why doesn't Saint Mary's host? :smile: If she suggested it I'm sure Mr. Davis would be down for it.

Count me in as a reader/volunteer if it ends up going off.
Alex Drake
Robinson HS
Concord, N.C.

David Riley
Auron

Post by David Riley »

David Reinstein of New Trier HS in Winnetka, IL (and frequent contributor to this forum) runs a solo tournament every year and would probably be willing to share his schematic with you. If interested, leave a msg for him under the "Illinois 05-06" forum under "Comparisons".
First Chairman
Auron

Post by First Chairman »

I can certainly handle the questions as the impartial NC person. I'd just need to figure out the location. I can also come up with the format, depending on how we decide to deal with expenses.
Emil Thomas Chuck, Ph.D.
Founder, PACE
Facebook junkie and unofficial advisor to aspiring health professionals in quiz bowl
---
Pimping Green Tea Ginger Ale (Canada Dry)
rchschem
Yuna

Post by rchschem »

I'll help however I can--read, write, whaddevah.

Eric
DrakeRQB
Rikku

Post by DrakeRQB »

There are a LOT of very good players in this state - I'd be very interested to see who placed near the top. I think most of us know who would finish first.
Alex Drake
Robinson HS
Concord, N.C.

fancynancy
Lulu

Post by fancynancy »

I'm glad this is getting such an enthusiastic response.

I talked to Mr. Davis a little bit today about this, and the weekends we think would be best are the first two in May. If I am not mistaken, AP exams will have ended by that second weekend.

The only other possible weekend is April 22nd, which happens to be our prom (can't wait!), so it might be a little difficult for us to host it then, if we end up hosting.
Nancy
Samford University '11
First Chairman
Auron

Post by First Chairman »

If it were me, I'd probably wait until the month of May. There are also a lot of different ways to run a solo competition (having done quite a few). My personal favorite format was done at Case Western Reserve a few years ago when Anthony de Jesus wanted to run a three-way solo event (Buzz-a-Trois, seeding rounds plus triple elimination format). I have to see how many rounds and questions David Reinstein and Tom Egan have to figure if we could pull it off, but I prefer this format to get a better staff to participant ratio without compromising the fun aspect of a solo event.

Plus we have to see how many kids we actually get.

And we have to see about my job search.
Emil Thomas Chuck, Ph.D.
Founder, PACE
Facebook junkie and unofficial advisor to aspiring health professionals in quiz bowl
---
pakman044
Rikku

Post by pakman044 »

Well, I'm almost always around in this area, so I can pretty much help with whatever short of obtaining questions themselves (the often hard part). It's an interesting idea, and it would be a good way to "end" the "season".

I'll do some more thinking when I actually recover from the weekend. I'm still on a sleep deficit from Red & White Bowl this weekend, and I wasn't even the TD!

Patrick King
radiantradon
Lulu

Post by radiantradon »

I'm up for it!

We'll just have to see if my schedule is equally as cooperative...
rchschem
Yuna

Post by rchschem »

May is a great idea. I'll hit up the RCHS players to see what the interest is.

Eric
DrakeRQB
Rikku

Post by DrakeRQB »

I ran it past my kids at practice this afternoon. Two seemed pretty up for it, and another two or three said they might be interested. For some, it depends on the date. I think May will work better for most of them.
Alex Drake
Robinson HS
Concord, N.C.

rchschem
Yuna

Post by rchschem »

I've got 9 or 10 interested. That's more than enough for me to put forth some effort. And they'll be itching for a match now that Duke is dead.

Eric
ProsperoSMS
Wakka

Post by ProsperoSMS »

I'm late talking on this one, but I'm glad my name has been invoked. Let me check the school calendar and see what dates are open. I think May, just past AP exams, might be the best time. We'll have a few involved from the Saint Mary's team in this (at least Nancy, since she threw out the idea), and let's put our heads together on format and the best way to bring in questions.

I'm also sorry that Duke has been cancelled, particularly since it wasn't even cancelled by the TD (is he AWOL?). Sigh. We have had a good spring in NC, so let's keep the momentum going. I think the Solo tourney could help.

Hugh
First Chairman
Auron

Post by First Chairman »

Well, I think some of you guys do need a break. We haven't quite built up your stamina to do so many consecutive weekends yet. :)

Besides, there are bigger fish to fry... PLQB Regionals being this weekend as well. Anyone want to help pitch NCATA at these events?

I do think that the best weekend would be the weekend BEFORE Memorial Day weekend. That way you have a couple of weekends before the nationals all roll in beginning with ASCN (assuming it is running on Mem Day weekend)... and assuming that I am not working that weekend.

I do intend to be out of town on Mem Day weekend. Family trip.
Emil Thomas Chuck, Ph.D.
Founder, PACE
---
ProsperoSMS
Wakka

Post by ProsperoSMS »

I will be at the Down East district meet (I think they are region 8?)--it's where Hertford County High competes, which was my school till I made my way to the Triangle and the land of single-sex education. I'll be glad to pitch NCATA, and I can tell you they are the toughest sell anywhere. HCHS is the only team from there that's ever gone anywhere, and that's dwindling these days (although they are still doing well at Brain Game, so there's hope).

Besides making the pitch and talking up NCOAST, send me any other talking points you want included.

Hugh
First Chairman
Auron

Post by First Chairman »

ProsperoSMS wrote:I will be at the Down East district meet (I think they are region 8?)--it's where Hertford County High competes, which was my school till I made my way to the Triangle and the land of single-sex education. I'll be glad to pitch NCATA, and I can tell you they are the toughest sell anywhere. HCHS is the only team from there that's ever gone anywhere, and that's dwindling these days (although they are still doing well at Brain Game, so there's hope).

Besides making the pitch and talking up NCOAST, send me any other talking points you want included.

Hugh
Well, the other things to talk up other than NCATA and pimping to join the listserv:
1. the planned coaches and leaders weekend workshop (hopefully we'll get that planned soon)
2. our intention to support a Team North Carolina to participate in the Panasonic Academic Challenge at Walt Disney World. Our plans will attempt to include solo tryouts in a "tour" around North Carolina, but I need potential regional host sites for this first.
3. that we had 8 straight weekends of qb activity and we are looking to fill the calendar with more events next year.
Emil Thomas Chuck, Ph.D.
Founder, PACE
---
rchschem
Yuna

Post by rchschem »

If we keep the rounds short, we could call it the Napoleon Solo tournament.

Say UNCLE!

Eric
ProsperoSMS
Wakka

Post by ProsperoSMS »

rchschem wrote:If we keep the rounds short, we could call it the Napoleon Solo tournament.

Say UNCLE!

Eric
A man after my own pop culture-driven heart!
ProsperoSMS
Wakka

Post by ProsperoSMS »

Scanning (finally) the SMS calendar, May 13 looks better than May 6. I'm not sure if that won't cut things too close, but I'll let you know. I may have to call on coaches for readers.
Stained Diviner
Auron

Post by Stained Diviner »

I emailed nancy a week or two ago. Let me know if you want any free advice. Good luck!
David Reinstein
Head Writer and Editor for Scobol Solo, Masonics, and IESA; TD for Scobol Solo and Reinstein Varsity; IHSSBCA Board Member; IHSSBCA Chair (2004-2014); PACE President (2016-2018)
ProsperoSMS
Wakka

Post by ProsperoSMS »

Free Advice? I'll take that anytime.

Thanks!