2020 ACF Winter High School Mirror (11/7/2020)

Dormant threads from the high school sections are preserved here.
reethanos
Kimahri

2020 ACF Winter High School Mirror (11/7/2020)

Post by reethanos »

I am pleased to announce that the High School Site of 2020 ACF Winter will be held online on Saturday, November 7, 2020.

The tournament will take place virtually on Discord. The opening meeting will begin at 9:30 AM CST and gameplay will begin at 10 AM CST. I, Aadit Juneja, along with Rohan Ganeshan and Matthew Lehmann, will be the tournament directors. Please direct any questions about this site to all of the following emails: aadit (dot) juneja12 (at) gmail (dot) com ; rohan (dot) gn195 (at) gmail (dot) com ; matthewlehmann18 (at) gmail (dot) com.

Eligibility
In general, teams where players are all attending the same school and all taking at least one class for credit during the 2020–2021 school year are eligible to play 2020 ACF Winter. ACF’s full eligibility rules are available here. Questions about eligibility should be directed to [email protected].

Rules
This tournament will follow ACF’s official gameplay rules. Please note that ACF’s rules have been modified for online gameplay.

Registration
Fill out the central 2020 ACF Winter registration form with all relevant information. The form is here. The field for each site can be found here.

If possible, teams should register for the site that is geographically closest to them and/or is in the region they would normally attend. The field cap for all sites is 18, after which teams will be placed on a waitlist or potentially assigned to another site. Please register by November 2, 2020.
Fees
  • Base fee: $120
  • New to quizbowl discount: −$80
  • Shorthanded discount (1–2 players): −$60
  • Staffers: −$25 per staffer with a functional laptop. Staffers must register with ACF in advance by filling out this form.
The new to quizbowl discount is intended for schools that did not send a team to any regular collegiate academic tournament (exclusively Novice tournaments do not count) since September 2019, and have no one on the team(s) claiming this discount who played those tournaments for another school.

Packet Submission
Any team with at least two people on it who played a regular, collegiate, academic quizbowl tournament* (either as a college student or high school student) prior to September 1, 2019, is required to submit a half-packet. Please email [email protected] if you are unsure whether your team is required to submit a half-packet. A team that is not required to submit a packet may submit an optional packet by the no-penalty deadline for a $50 discount.

* For these purposes, all ACF tournaments, NAQT SCT (Division I or Division II), NAQT ICT, and typical college-level academic invitationals count as regular collegiate academic tournaments. Pop culture or “hybrid” tournaments, HCASC, and tournaments played on NAQT’s Collegiate Novice series sets do not.

Here is the submission schedule:
  • September 6th, 2020: -$50
  • September 25th, 2020: -$25
  • October 4th, 2020: no penalty
  • October 18th, 2020: +$25
  • October 25th, 2020: +$50
If teams required to submit a half-packet have not submitted by November 1st, they will be dropped from the tournament, with no exceptions.

If your team is going to submit a half-packet, whether required or not, email [email protected] to request a distribution. All finished packets must be sent to that email before 11:59 PDT on the day listed to receive the discount or penalty. Please format the half-packet in .doc or .docx before sending it. The email subject line should list the name of the school, the team number (if applicable), and the words “half-packet.”

EDIT: High Schools teams are exempt from the packet submission rules.
Last edited by reethanos on Tue Oct 27, 2020 8:34 pm, edited 3 times in total.
Aadit Juneja

-Aptakisic ‘19
-Stevenson ‘23
Shahar S.
Wakka

Re: 2020 ACF Winter High School Mirror (11/7/2020)

Post by Shahar S. »

I feel like I should ask why a high school freshman and sophomore were chosen to TD the high school mirror of this set. It's not that you guys aren't responsible enough, but I'm worried that not having someone with more tournament directing experience could cause a lot of problems very quickly on an ACF set considering how standardized the expectations are there.

Also, I just want to point out that there are likely going to be high school teams which technically qualify for the mandatory packet submission requirement. I would assume, both because of the excess of packets submitted for this tournament and because having high schooler teams submit a packet to a finalized ACF set is unprecedented, that the intent is to waive this requirement for the HS mirror. If this is not the case, I think it's worth specifying explicitly.
Last edited by Shahar S. on Wed Oct 21, 2020 5:05 am, edited 1 time in total.
Shahar Schwartz

Black Mountain '16
Westview '20
UC Berkeley '24
CPiGuy
Auron

Post by CPiGuy »

Shahar S. wrote: Tue Oct 20, 2020 8:48 pm I feel like I should ask why two high school freshmen were chosen to TD the high school mirror of this set. It's not that you guys aren't responsible enough, but I'm worried that not having someone with more tournament directing experience could cause a lot of problems very quickly on an ACF set considering how standardized the expectations are there.

Also, I just want to point out that there are likely going to be high school teams which technically qualify for the mandatory packet submission requirement. I would assume, both because of the excess of packets submitted for this tournament and because having high schooler teams submit a packet to a finalized ACF set is unprecedented, that the intent is to waive this requirement for the HS mirror. If this is not the case, I think it's worth specifying explicitly.
Your post surprised me because I thought this was already the case, and I checked and it was last year -- the 2019 Fall packet-submission requirements included the clause "unless it is a high school team attending a high-school-only mirror". I am wondering whether ACF omitting this this year was deliberate or accidental -- either way, given the late announcement of this mirror, I would hope that the requirement would be waived, as teams have basically no chance to submit without incurring a significant penalty.

While I'm at it, it's probably not particularly urgent, but it'd be nice if ACF could clarify whether high-school-only mirrors of college sets (say, this tournament, or last year's Illinois high school mirror of Penn Bowl) count as "regular, collegiate, academic quizbowl tournaments" for the purpose of the packet submission clock, or whether a "college tournament" must also have a field open to collegiate teams (for example, DCC playing last year's MWT main site).

Also while I'm at it, not the point of my post, but Aadit is in fact a sophomore, not a freshman. It doesn't really take away from your general point though. To be honest, I think having standardized expectations and the ACF logistics team behind them will actually make it more likely that the TDs will be successful, rather than a housewrite mirror in which the only assistance from the set producers is actually providing them the set.
Conor Thompson (he/it)
Bangor High School '16
University of Michigan '20
Iowa State University '25
Tournament Format Database
Shahar S.
Wakka

Post by Shahar S. »

CPiGuy wrote: Wed Oct 21, 2020 4:43 am
Also while I'm at it, not the point of my post, but Aadit is in fact a sophomore, not a freshman. It doesn't really take away from your general point though.

Yep, my mistake, addition is hard.
Shahar Schwartz

Black Mountain '16
Westview '20
UC Berkeley '24
whatamidoinghere
Wakka

Post by whatamidoinghere »

Unrelated to the above conversation but the form does not seem to include the High School mirror.
Quinctilius Varus
Wakka

Post by Quinctilius Varus »

High school teams at high-school-only mirrors are exempt from the packet submission requirement. I have updated the original Winter announcement to reflect this. Sorry for any confusion!
William Golden
University of Texas at Austin '22
mtebbe
Lulu

Post by mtebbe »

Shahar S. wrote: Tue Oct 20, 2020 8:48 pm I feel like I should ask why a high school freshman and sophomore were chosen to TD the high school mirror of this set. It's not that you guys aren't responsible enough, but I'm worried that not having someone with more tournament directing experience could cause a lot of problems very quickly on an ACF set considering how standardized the expectations are there.
whatamidoinghere wrote: Wed Oct 21, 2020 9:02 am Unrelated to the above conversation but the form does not seem to include the High School mirror.
Thank you both for bringing this up! This is entirely my fault for not being more thorough, but I was under the impression that either Aadit or Rohan's coach would be helping out with the tournament. I would still like for Aadit and Rohan to be involved in hosting a high school mirror of Winter, however, so ACF is looking for a coach of another school or a college player who would be willing to co-TD this mirror. They would serve mainly as an advisor and wouldn't necessarily have to be responsible for the bulk of the logistics--please email me at [email protected] if you are interested. I'm going to keep registration for this site closed until/unless I find a co-TD.
Margaret Tebbe

Spartanburg High School '17
Penn '21

Site Coordinator, ACF
Member, PACE
whatamidoinghere
Wakka

Post by whatamidoinghere »

Has a logistics email been sent out for this tournament?
reethanos
Kimahri

Post by reethanos »

whatamidoinghere wrote: Thu Nov 05, 2020 9:52 pm Has a logistics email been sent out for this tournament?
Yes. The logistics email was sent yesterday night.
Aadit Juneja

-Aptakisic ‘19
-Stevenson ‘23
reethanos
Kimahri

Post by reethanos »

Congrats to Mission San Jose A for winning this tournament by going 8-0! Lambert A came 2nd with a 6-2 record, and Sandburg A came 3rd with a 3-5 record. Statistics can be found here. Thanks to everybody who made this event possible!
Last edited by reethanos on Sat Nov 07, 2020 10:52 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Aadit Juneja

-Aptakisic ‘19
-Stevenson ‘23