University of Florida Hosts NAQT State Championship

Dormant threads from the high school sections are preserved here.
kelli
Rikku

University of Florida Hosts NAQT State Championship

Post by kelli »

Dear High School Coaches,

The University of Florida will be hosting the NAQT High School Championship for the state of Florida on Sat. March 25th. Schools will be eligible to compete in junior varsity and varsity divisions. Players who are freshmen or sophomores are eligible to play in Division II, while anyone may play in Division I. A team is eligible to play in Division II if all of its players are eligible. The purpose of Division II is to allow schools and players new to the world of academic competition the ability to gain experience by playing other novice teams. The two divisions will compete separately and separate prizes will be awarded to the winners of Divisions I and II. This year's tournament will tentatively be capped at 44 teams– 28 teams in Division I and 16 teams in Division II. As moderators and rooms are confirmed, further teams may be able to register. Registrations will be accepted on a first come, first serve basis. We are limiting initial registration to two teams per school. Depending on demand, schools may be permitted additional teams after March 3rd – indicate on your registration form if you would like to bring any extra teams in either Division and we will respond to your requests after March 3rd.

The tournament format will tentatively consist of a divisional Round Robin with playoffs. Check-in will begin at 9:00 am on Sat. and a light breakfast will be served. The rules and sample questions for this tournament can be found at http://www.naqt.com.

The registration fee will be $80.00 per team with the following adjustments: $10.00 discount per fully functional buzzer system, $10 discount for a second team, and an $60.00 minimum per team. The deadline for registration is Friday, March 3rd, but space is limited and early registration is recommended. Registration may be faxed or mailed to us. Either the actual check or proof of purchase order is acceptable. All payment information is on the enclosed page. Due to problems with too many last minute cancellations at our fall tournament, there will be a $25 fee for schools who cancel one or more teams after March 23rd.

If you have any additional questions, feel free to contact Kelli Wood at [email protected], or Beth Waltrip at the Office of Student Activities, (352) 392-1655, during normal business hours.

Thank you very much,

Kelli Wood
Tournament Director
UF College Bowl

kelli
Rikku

Post by kelli »

Final Field Update

17 teams in Div I and 10 teams in Div II.
Division I:

Hardee (2)
Taylor
South Fork
Eastside (2)
Westminster Christian
Suwannee
Branford (2)
Niceville
Wesley Chapel HS
Bishop Moore Catholic HS
Vanguard
Ransom Everglades
Plant City HS (2)

Division II:

Hardee (2)
Taylor
South Fork
Eastside (2)
Suwannee
Niceville
Choctawhatchee (2)

kelli
Rikku

Post by kelli »

Listed above is the final field update for the tournament tommorow. Good luck to all teams, and I look forward to seeing everyone :)

kelli
Rikku

Post by kelli »

Results:

Division I

1st Place- Plant City HS
2nd- Taylor
3rd- Vanguard

Division II

1st - Choctawhatchee A
2nd- Choctawhatchee B
3rd- Eastside D

It was a really great tournament, congrats to everyone for doing so well. Full results forthcoming...

kelli
Rikku

Post by kelli »

Following round robin play, the top 4 teams from each Division 1 bracket advanced to a single elimination playoff.

Round Robin Results:
http://plaza.ufl.edu/drobeson/NAQT/NAQT ... dings.html

Playoffs:
F1 Vanguard def. C4 South Fork (255-150)
F3 Taylor def. C2 Eastside A (255-105)
F2 Plant City B def. C3 Ransom Everglades (370-80)
F4 Niceville def. C1 Westminster (210-130)

Taylor def. Vanguard (165-130)
Plant City B def. Niceville (335-25)

Final: Plant City B def. Taylor (240-210)

3rd Place: Vanguard def. Niceville (135-75)

Note: Plant City showed up to the tournament late and in hopes of making the playoffs, switched their A and B teams since their B team had 3 losses and a bye and their A team had 4 losses already on their schedule. Plant City "B" then went on to not lose a single match and win the tournament.

Note on the Stats: There was a missing score sheet in Div 2 which is why there are two Eastside teams with only 7 games. That game was in fact played, but at this point, no one remembers who won that round and it does not change the top 3 places. Also, only standings and individual stats are posted.