2020 PACE NSC: CANCELED

Dormant threads from the high school sections are preserved here.
Harpie's Feather Duster
Forums Staff: Administrator

2020 PACE NSC: CANCELED

Post by Harpie's Feather Duster »

This is a preliminary announcement for the 2020 PACE NSC, which will be held at the Hyatt Regency O'Hare in Rosemont, Illinois over the weekend of June 6th. More information will become available in this thread in the months leading up to the tournament.
Dylan Minarik

Hamburger University 'XX
Northwestern '17
Belvidere North High School '13

Member Emeritus, PACE

JRPG Champion, BACK TO BACK Robot Slayer
Thaumatibis gigantea
Wakka

Re: 2020 PACE NSC: June 6-7, Chicago

Post by Thaumatibis gigantea »

Registration for teams that have already qualified will open on this Friday, November 1st. Invitations will be sent via e-mail to those teams eligible to register. Updated qualification guidelines are available here.
Rebecca Rosenthal, Bergen County Academies '16, Swarthmore College '20
PACE, Director of Communications
she/her/hers
Thaumatibis gigantea
Wakka

Registration is now open. Further information on registration can be found on our website (http://www.pace-nsc.org/2020-nsc-registration/).
she/her/hers
HSQuizBowlNeedsCompMath
Kimahri

Post by HSQuizBowlNeedsCompMath »

I noticed that the New Trier Varsity tournament was listed as "platinum" qualifying. Am I correct in saying that the top 25% of the field qualifies for PACE? My team (Barrington) finished 5th out of 48 teams across all divisions, and 5th out of 10 teams in the challenge division (meeting the 50% threshold), and yet we are not listed as qualified. Additionally, we finished 5th out of 24 teams at UIUC Earlybird, another Platinum qualifier, but one of our games (which we won) does not have stats because the scoresheet was lost. Are we still able to qualify from Earlybird?
Liam Starnes
Barrington MS-Station ‘17
Barrington HS ‘21
Captain of the 2017 IESA Class AA State Championship Team
HSQuizBowlNeedsCompMath
Kimahri

HSQuizBowlNeedsCompMath wrote: Wed Dec 18, 2019 11:24 am I noticed that the New Trier Varsity tournament was listed as "platinum" qualifying. Am I correct in saying that the top 25% of the field qualifies for PACE? My team (Barrington) finished 5th out of 48 teams across all divisions, and 5th out of 10 teams in the challenge division (meeting the 50% threshold), and yet we are not listed as qualified. Additionally, we finished 5th out of 24 teams at UIUC Earlybird, another Platinum qualifier, but one of our games (which we won) does not have stats because the scoresheet was lost. Are we still able to qualify from Earlybird?
EDIT: We are the Barrington from Illinois, not from Rhode Island.
Liam Starnes
Barrington HS ‘21
Stained Diviner
Auron

Post by Stained Diviner »

PACE policies state "The number of automatic qualifiers for such a tournament is the lesser of the number using the formula for all tournaments or 50% of the teams in the top division." Because of that, NTV had 5 qualifiers, including Barrington. You should be included the next time the qualifying teams list is updated.
David Reinstein
Head Writer and Editor for Scobol Solo, Masonics, and IESA; TD for Scobol Solo and Reinstein Varsity; IHSSBCA Board Member; IHSSBCA Chair (2004-2014); PACE President (2016-2018)
HSQuizBowlNeedsCompMath
Kimahri

I see it now. Thanks!
Liam Starnes
Barrington HS ‘21
Thaumatibis gigantea
Wakka

Wildcard bids are now open for teams who have not yet qualified for the NSC through qualifier tournaments.

To submit a wildcard bid, email PACE’s Wild Card Coordinator, Chandler West, at [email protected]. Applications should contain the team's name, contact information, and a summary of the team's accomplishments this school year. Applicants will be notified of the wildcard decision within seven days of application receipt.

PACE will automatically approve wildcard bids from teams that finished highly enough at events that meet PACE's standards for qualifier status, even if the events are not officially listed as a qualifier event. General information about qualifying for the 2020 PACE NSC can be found here.
she/her/hers
Mike Bentley
Sin

Post by Mike Bentley »

Hi, I'm going to be starting some playtesting soon. If this is something you'd be interested in, please PM me on the forums and I'll provide more details. This playtesting is not open to any player still in high school or anyone affiliated with a high school team (i.e. a coach or advisor).
Mike Bentley
Treasurer, Partnership for Academic Competition Excellence
Adviser, Quizbowl Team at University of Washington
University of Maryland, Class of 2008
Quantity of Books v. Kansas
Lulu

Post by Quantity of Books v. Kansas »

On behalf of the Partnership for Academic Competition Excellence, I regret to inform the quizbowl community that the 2020 National Scholastic Championship, scheduled for June 6-7, 2020, has been canceled due to public safety concerns. More details on refunds, eligibility for 2021, and general information regarding the 2021 NSC will be released in the next few days.

While we are disappointed that it isn’t possible to safely host the NSC this year, we are committed first and foremost to the safety and well-being of our teams and staff. We look forward to seeing you next year.
Emily Dickson (she/her)

Downingtown East '17 | University of Pittsburgh '21
Member, et al., PACE (2018- 2022)
Friend of Greater Pennsylvania Quiz Bowl