MA State Championships@Phillips Academy (5/18)

Dormant threads from the high school sections are preserved here.
Ozymandias314
Lulu

MA State Championships@Phillips Academy (5/18)

Post by Ozymandias314 »

Phillips Academy Academic Team is happy to announce that we will be hosting Massachusetts State Championships this year on Saturday, May 18th.

REGISTRATION
All high schools are invited to register, ranging in experience from Super Sunday, High School Quiz Show, or just trying quiz bowl for the first time.
The field is currently capped at 18 teams due to the number of rooms available. Teams from out of the State are allowed and encouraged to attend as well.

Register by emailing Vincent at [email protected] OR using the following link provided by NAQT: https://www.naqt.com/registration/field ... t_id=10529.

Please fill out your rosters WITH GRADE LEVELS INDICATED! Thanks very much.

If there are any issues or additional pieces of information, email Vincent at [email protected].

LOGISTICS
NOTE: REGISTRATION WILL NOW BE HELD IN GELB SCIENCE CENTER. Unfortunately I was not able to reserve any auditorium venues for the day, so we will be holding registration in the science center. Teams will go to their game rooms after arrival, and we'll have a brief opening meeting, presumably on the second floor (it will be a little crowded). We would like to begin game-play around 9:00 AM in Gelb Science Center. The tournament should end around 5 PM. Teams will play a minimum of ten games, should we reach our field cap.

FORMAT
We will be playing according to standard NAQT rules with untimed halves and no computational math tossups.

LUNCH OPTIONS
We will be selling pizza at $15 per large dominos pizza with water! Please communicate your lunch decision to the tournament director (Vincent) when you register. There are also several restaurants within walking distance.

THE SET
MA State Championships will be using the Division II SCT set this year, which will better prepare teams looking to play at HSNCT and similar difficulty tournaments.

NATIONAL TOURNAMENTS
The top 15% of the field (rounded up) will be qualified for HSNCT and with Platinum certification the top 25% of the field will qualify for PACE.

FEES
The fees for this tournament are as follows:

$85 for the first team
$75 for all additional teams
−$5 discount per working buzzer system
−$10 discount per staffer provided

Cash and checks are acceptable forms of payment. Please make all checks out to “Trustees of Phillips Academy”, and include "Andover Quiz Bowl" in the memo section.

We hope to see you there!
Last edited by Ozymandias314 on Fri May 10, 2019 9:59 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Vincent Fan
Phillips Academy '20 (Captain 2018-2020)
MIT '24
Yes yes yes, I started "is quinterest.org down?"
troyharris
Wakka

Re: MA State Championships@Phillips Academy (5/18)

Post by troyharris »

Vincent,
I'm assuming that you are using the 2019 SCT Division II set?
Troy Harris
Plymouth, NH
jonah
Auron

Post by jonah »

troyharris wrote: Wed May 08, 2019 7:18 pmI'm assuming that you are using the 2019 SCT Division II set?
Yes.
Jonah Greenthal
National Academic Quiz Tournaments
Ozymandias314
Lulu

Post by Ozymandias314 »

Sorry I haven't really been on my game for the past few weeks, but the current field (now FINAL AND CAPPED at 16) stands as thus:

AB (2/0/0)
AMSA (2/2/1)
Andover (1/0/0)
Belmont (1/1/0)
BLS (1/2/0)
Bromfield (1/0/0)
Lex (2/0/0)
Newton South (3/0/0)
Plymouth (1/1/1)
Weston (1/1/0)
"Team Lasal" (1/x/x)

Total: (16/7/2)
Last edited by Ozymandias314 on Fri May 17, 2019 9:41 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Vincent Fan
MIT '24
Ozymandias314
Lulu

Post by Ozymandias314 »

The field is now final and at 16 teams. Registration is closed. The drop deadline is tomorrow at noon.
Vincent Fan
MIT '24