Gonzaga Tournament- Feb. 11th

Dormant threads from the high school sections are preserved here.
jbarnes112358
Tidus

Post by jbarnes112358 »

Right now it is a little early to know who is going where.

Matt, don't you think it a little presumptuous to reveal someone's identity without their permission?

Furthermore, The A team in its current form has some excellent players, but whether they are the "best" players in our group remains to be seen. I see no reason why the current B team cannot be every bit as competitive if they would work a little harder at improving themselves. All our seniors, and a few others, seem to be losing focus and losing interest. They don't really act like players that are trying to make a run at two nationals in June.

And why would anyone want to go to a prom when there is a good quizbowl tournament to be attended? :wink:
Zip Zap Rap Pants
Yuna

Post by Zip Zap Rap Pants »

Ahh sorry, a careless mistake, I've edited the post now.

It's beside the point, but I figured anybody playing against Gov in the round(s) in which the questions he mentioned in the "best powers" thread would know it was him, and plus anybody who knew the lineup at the tournament could narrow it down to him and one other player who will remain anonymous so as to not make it too easy, simply b/c the other two already post here. Anyway if worse comes to worst I guess he can always get a new SN, but I don't think too many people pay attention when I'm ranting on about lineups and tournament attendance and question quality and formats and proms and the Geto Boys &c. &c. &c....

But yes, I'm terribly sorry for that, I'll refrain from revealing names unless the poster makes it blatantly obvious who he/she is (such as by putting his real name in his SN like you or me, or coming out and saying it on a post).

Also, making nebulous speculations about lineups and attendance is what quizbowl is all about :grin: I believe RM's TD even said he encourages such statements about the Rumble on the Pike...
Matt Morrison, William & Mary '10, Tour Guide &c., MA in History '12?

"All the cool people eat mangoes while they smoke blunts and do cannonballs off a trampoline into my hot tub..."
-Matt Weiner

“In beer there is strength,
In wine is wisdom,
In water is germs.”
-Unknown

new email: mpmorr at email dot wm dot edu
DumbJaques
Forums Staff: Administrator

Post by DumbJaques »

Though it's difficult to understand why, Matt Morrison wrote: Also, making nebulous speculations about lineups and attendance is what quizbowl is all about
No. What? Just. . . no.
Matt Morrison wrote: I believe RM's TD even said he encourages such statements about the Rumble on the Pike...
What? I was reffering to
1) "Nebulous speculations about your team's attendance
2) At a single tournament (not the remainder of your entire season)

I'm going to assume your coach might have been referring to that part, say, where you anounced what lineups your team would be sending for like the next 2 months. It's nice to know all executive lineup decisions for Governor's school are made by Matt Morrison. Through posts on the quizbowl forum. Months before said events take place. I'm sure your coach/teammates appreciated that.

Actually, I have a slight modification of the Richard Montgomery lineup to announce. We will now be playing with an A team of myself, Andrew Yaphe, Albert Einstein, and Jesus.

Note: You can be assured of my authority and honesty, as I am posting on the internets! Matt Morrison would also probably have vouched for me, but I'm going to go ahead and declare how much I hate Brian Boitano and Vanilla Ice and love Chuck Norris. Remember Matt, he *still* doesn't actually live in a round house.
Chris Ray
OSU
University of Chicago, 2016
University of Maryland, 2014
ACF, PACE
jbarnes112358
Tidus

Post by jbarnes112358 »

DumbJaques wrote:
I'm going to assume your coach might have been referring to that part, say, where you anounced what lineups your team would be sending for like the next 2 months. It's nice to know all executive lineup decisions for Governor's school are made by Matt Morrison. Through posts on the quizbowl forum. Months before said events take place. I'm sure your coach/teammates appreciated that.
Thank You!

Hopefully, Matt will be able to control his musings and limit his posts to more relevant content.
Zip Zap Rap Pants
Yuna

Post by Zip Zap Rap Pants »

DumbJacques wrote:Though it's difficult to understand why, Matt Morrison wrote:
Also, making nebulous speculations about lineups and attendance is what quizbowl is all about

No. What? Just. . . no.

Matt Morrison wrote:
I believe RM's TD even said he encourages such statements about the Rumble on the Pike...

What? I was reffering to
1) "Nebulous speculations about your team's attendance
2) At a single tournament (not the remainder of your entire season)

Actually, I have a slight modification of the Richard Montgomery lineup to announce. We will now be playing with an A team of myself, Andrew Yaphe, Albert Einstein, and Jesus.

Note: You can be assured of my authority and honesty, as I am posting on the internets! Matt Morrison would also probably have vouched for me, but I'm going to go ahead and declare how much I hate Brian Boitano and Vanilla Ice and love Chuck Norris. Remember Matt, he *still* doesn't actually live in a round house.
ALLL Right!!! Thought you had a plane to catch, Quagmire. Or a girls' slumber party to peep across the street, but I guess you left the binoculars at TJ, so I'll buy you a new pair at Chicago in the airport or someplace...

Anyway, I'm sorry. I was thinking anyway in light of my coach's comments that I need not post as much about future teams from now on, but I *really* needed another player who every now and then plays in the same tournaments as us to tell me that, so I heartily thank you. But regarding the team estimations I did make, I was just basing my speculations on what people had said about whether they could make tournaments or not, and in no way did I indicate that these teams were definite, so instead I should've made stuff up and pretended it was absolute, without any regard to known school events/conflicts/senior obligations such as NHS like I've mentioned before. My apologies for being honest.

On that note I've heard there's a good team from Texas (Houston area specifically, 5th Ward I think) consisting of a William Dennis, Brad Jordan, Richard Shaw, and J(ay) Prince. Their motto is "We Can't Be Stopped" and the first three I mentioned are also known as "Da Good, Da Bad, and Da Ugly," and they used to play with a "Big" Mike Banks, though he's graduated now. Anyway my point is they might show up at RM and Chicago and they'd have an excellent shot against the team you mentioned, or anyone else. Jay Prince has said he might be gone because of a beef he has to settle with Jayceon (or "Chuck") Taylor from Black Wall Street, Compton, but that's just speculation. Oh there is a rumor that this team only wins by holding up the moderator with an M-11, but those who say this are pretty bogus (Chuck Norris and Jesus lost to Willie D and Brad Jordan in a doubles tournament and they were just jealous so they made this up as trash talk - they also made up the rumor that Vanilla Ice jacks beats after losing to him and Arcenio Hall in the semifinals, after which they proceeded to lose the third place game to an Eric Barrier and Rakim Allah - this loss prompted Jesus to force the poor sales of "Don't Sweat the Technique," leading to the breakup of the two and more recently a costly lawsuit, so now you can see why I haven't been too fond of Mr. Norris and Mr. Christ when their names are brought up in quizbowl lately. Although on a positive note Chuck Norris did singlehandedly build Wilmington Charter School, Dover International Speedway, and pretty much everything else in Delaware as a community service project in third grade, so we have him to thank for that.)

What we should really be asking ourselfs right now, however, is "what would Brian Boitano do, if he was here right now?" A wise man once said in an ancient poem:

"And what would Brian Boitano do,
He'd call all the kids in town,
And tell them to unite for true
That's what Brian Boitano'd do. "

because, after all, as the epic poem goes on:

"When Brian Boitano travelled through time
To the year 3010,
He fought the evil robot kings
and saved the human race again

And when Brian Boitano built the pyramids,
He beat up Kublai Kahn...."

...and probably invented the internetz (though not the rumors on them) as well! so my point is, as I implied in the first passage I quoted, Brian Boitano would keep the beef on wax like it's supposed to be, because, as Brad Jordan himself once said "real gangsta *** ****** don't start fights." in other words, childishness aside, let's not declare any flame war here; instead, I propose a truce because I believe that the world is big enough for Chuck Norris AND the Geto Boys (ahh crap now I gave it away...) so what do you say?

Btw did you ever get to find out who won between RM B and TJ B?
Matt Morrison, William & Mary '10, Tour Guide &c., MA in History '12?

"All the cool people eat mangoes while they smoke blunts and do cannonballs off a trampoline into my hot tub..."
-Matt Weiner

“In beer there is strength,
In wine is wisdom,
In water is germs.”
-Unknown

new email: mpmorr at email dot wm dot edu
DumbJaques
Forums Staff: Administrator

Post by DumbJaques »

I stopped reading that halfway through, when I figured out that you had lost your mind.

To the best of my knowledge, hsquizbowl.org has never witnessed the locking of an official tournament results thread for reasons of intense idiocy. But I think some traditions are meant to be broken. Please, send this thread away forever.

Or just split off the segment where matt morrison composes 50% or more of the posts. Or maybe just the one where he recites "Brian Boitano" lyrics for us. Or the one one where he defines quizbowl as making nebulous statements about team composition at tournaments. Or the one where he uses "beta version 2.01" to refer to his team. Or the one where he completely trashed half of his teammates on last year's A team. Or the one where he used as many emoticons as periods. Or the. . . you know, on second thought, let's just destroy it all. Especially this post, which reflects that I took 5 minutes to write this stupid stuff. I beg the mods, please, kill us all.
Chris Ray
OSU
University of Chicago, 2016
University of Maryland, 2014
ACF, PACE
jbarnes112358
Tidus

Post by jbarnes112358 »

Agreed. And isn't there some sort of graveyard archive for this idiocy to be buried.

Matt, please try to remember the cyber-nonsense that got you in hot water with our organization a year or two ago.
Matt Weiner
Sin

Post by Matt Weiner »

Someone can start a new thread if there's anything further to say about the Gonzaga tournament.
Matt Weiner
Advisor to Quizbowl at Virginia Commonwealth University / Founder of hsquizbowl.org