Johns Hopkins Fall Quizbowl Tournament (NAQT-177X) - 10/13/18

Dormant threads from the high school sections are preserved here.
double_faulton
Lulu

Johns Hopkins Fall Quizbowl Tournament (NAQT-177X) - 10/13/18

Post by double_faulton »

Johns Hopkins University is pleased to announce the Johns Hopkins Fall Quizbowl Tournament, which will take place on October 13th, 2018.

The tournament will take place at Johns Hopkins University, located at 3400 North Charles Street, Baltimore, MD 21218. Room locations will be in Gilman Hall. A map of campus can be found here: http://cis.jhu.edu/images/campus_map_0907.pdf. Parking is available at the South Garage, at a flat rate of $9 for the day.

Entry Fees and Discounts:
Base Fee: $70 per team
Buzzers: -$5 per each working buzzer system
Staffing: -$10 per competent staffer (limit one per team)

Payment must be made on the day of the tournament either by cash or check only. Please make checks out to "Johns Hopkins University."

Format:
This tournament will follow official NAQT rules (which can be viewed at http://www.naqt.com/rules.html) with slight modifications on timing.

Question Set:
We will be using NAQT IS-177X, which is a set intended for normal high school level players.

Food:
Pizza will be sold near lunch time, and various restaurants may be found in the vicinity of campus. To see a full list, please visit http://web.jhu.edu/cogsci/visitors/restaurants.html.

Team and Roster Size:
There is a maximum of 6 players on a team; up to four members may play at once. We recommend no more than four members on a team, so that students may play the maximum number of rounds.

Team Limit:
Until one week prior to the registration deadline (September 29), only three teams from a school may register. Subsequent teams (up to an additional two, for five total) from the same school will be placed on the wait list. Following September 29, two additional teams from that school on the wait list will be moved off of the wait list and registered (assuming that there are spots still open).

To register, please fill out the following form (https://goo.gl/forms/9NEDTkuOhCpfjHgr1) by October 6. The field will initially be capped at 18 teams.

Timeline:
Here are some important dates:
September 29, 2018: Multiple team deadline (see above)
October 6, 2018: Registration deadline
October 11, 2018: Roster deadline
October 13, 2018: Tournament day

Please contact us at [email protected] if you have any questions.
Last edited by double_faulton on Mon Sep 17, 2018 5:23 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Halton Pi
Johns Hopkins '21
double_faulton
Lulu

Re: Johns Hopkins Fall Quizbowl Tournament (NAQT-177X) - 10/13/18

Post by double_faulton »

Registered Teams (16/18):
School | # Teams | # Buzzers | # Staffers
Penn Manor | 1 | 4 | 1
Montgomery Blair | 3 | 0 | 0
Langley High School | 3 | 2 | 2
Winston Churchill | 1 | 1 | 1
BASIS McLean | 2 | 1 | 0
Richard Montgomery | 3 | 4 | 0
McLean High School | 1 | 1 | 0
Thomas S. Wootton High School | 1 | 1 | 1
Catonsville High School | 1 | 1 | 0
Last edited by double_faulton on Mon Oct 08, 2018 9:25 pm, edited 6 times in total.
Halton Pi
Johns Hopkins '21
Tippy Martinez
Wakka

Post by Tippy Martinez »

Can we get some clarification on the set? IS-177 is a regular difficulty set, not a introductory level set like advertised. Is this a mistake or is this tournament truly using an introductory level set?
connor mayers
maryland
jonah
Auron

Post by jonah »

This tournament is using a regular Invitational Series set, with this distribution. (The distribution on this page is for the 12-packet version, though this tournament will be using the 13-packet version.)
Jonah Greenthal
National Academic Quiz Tournaments
double_faulton
Lulu

Post by double_faulton »

Sorry, that was a mistake, it will be a regular difficulty set.
Halton Pi
Johns Hopkins '21
atooloftheboss
Lulu

Post by atooloftheboss »

thank you mr watler zhao for your excellent set selection!1!!1! i cannot wait to attend the many jhu tournaments that will be held throughout the year. :party:
Manu Sundar
Chicago '24
double_faulton
Lulu

Post by double_faulton »

Congratulations to Montgomery Blair A for winning a disadvantaged final against Montgomery Blair B! Thank you to all the teams for coming and we hope to see you again!
Last edited by double_faulton on Sun Oct 14, 2018 1:27 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Halton Pi
Johns Hopkins '21
iarehavethestupid
Lulu

Post by iarehavethestupid »

double_faulton wrote: Sat Oct 13, 2018 5:18 pm Congratulations to Richard Montgomery A for winning a disadvantaged final against Richard Montgomery A! Thank you to all the teams for coming and we hope to see you again!
So there were two A teams?

Correct me if I'm wrong, I'm just looking through the forum, don't know anything about the actual tourney.
Ethan Xu
Liberty Middle School 2017-2019
James Clemens High School 2020-2023
2019 ASCA MS State Champion
Jet Fuel Can't Melt Steel Dreams
Wakka

Post by Jet Fuel Can't Melt Steel Dreams »

iarehavethestupid wrote: Sat Oct 13, 2018 6:59 pm
double_faulton wrote: Sat Oct 13, 2018 5:18 pm Congratulations to Richard Montgomery A for winning a disadvantaged final against Richard Montgomery A! Thank you to all the teams for coming and we hope to see you again!
So there were two A teams?

Correct me if I'm wrong, I'm just looking through the forum, don't know anything about the actual tourney.
Not to mention the teams that played in the finals were Montgomery Blair A and Montgomery Blair B.
Geoffrey Chen
Wayzata High School '19
UMN (dual enrollment) '19
Cornell ???
Abdon Ubidia
Wakka

Post by Abdon Ubidia »

Was there HSNCT qualification associated with this event? If so, how many teams qualified?
Anson Berns
Montgomery Blair '19
Brown '23
Important Bird Area
Forums Staff: Administrator

Post by Important Bird Area »

Yes, this event was a qualifier for NAQT's 2019 national championships. If the listed number in the stats of 15 teams is correct, the top three will have qualified for the 2019 HSNCT in Atlanta.
Jeff Hoppes
President, Northern California Quiz Bowl Alliance
former HSQB Chief Admin (2012-13)
VP for Communication and history subject editor, NAQT
Editor emeritus, ACF

"I wish to make some kind of joke about Jeff's love of birds, but I always fear he'll turn them on me Hitchcock-style." -Fred