2018 NASAT - Congratulations Illinois A!

Dormant threads from the high school sections are preserved here.
AKKOLADE
Sin

2018 NASAT - Congratulations Illinois A!

Post by AKKOLADE »

International Quiz Bowl Tournaments (IQBT) is pleased to announce the 2018 National All-Star Academic Tournament (NASAT). IQBT will be taking over hosting NASAT from HSAPQ. This will be the ninth NASAT.

NASAT will be hosted on Saturday, June 16 and Sunday, June 17 at the University of Kentucky. The tournament will convene at 8:00 AM on Saturday, June 16 and run until about 6 PM, then conclude from 8:30 AM to about 3:00 PM on Sunday. The tournament will be held in White Hall Classroom Building.

This tournament will once again be open to all-star teams representing all states, the District of Columbia, all US territories, and all Canadian provinces and equivalents (as well as state or province-equivalent divisions of any other countries). Each state or equivalent may enter multiple teams, with up to six players on its roster, up to four of whom may be playing at any one time. Any player who was enrolled in the 12th grade or below in a school physically located in that state during the 2017-2018 academic year is eligible to play on his or her state's team. Generally speaking, home school students are also eligible; any questions about eligibility will be answered by IQBT as needed. This tournament is intended for states seeking an all-star event. We encourage single-school teams looking for national championships to investigate two such championships run by groups that are unaffiliated with IQBT: the National Scholastics Championship run by the Partnership for Academic Competition Excellence and the High School National Championship Tournament run by National Academic Quiz Tournaments.

Teams travelling by air are advised that the closest airport is Lexington's Blue Grass Airport. Airports in Louisville (Louisville International Airport) and Cincinnati (Cincinnati/Northern Kentucky International Airport) are within an hour and a half drive from Lexington and may offer better rates.

We will continue to keep cost under control; in line with that, the tournament will not be held at a resort, but rather on a college campus, much like many other high school quizbowl events held throughout the year. Furthermore, we will use a normal format comparable to regular-season events: games will consist of twenty tossups, with a thirty-point bonus being played after each correct tossup answer. Teams will play head-to-head, two at a time. "Performance-based," multimedia, calculation, and pop culture questions will not be used. Teams will play twelve to sixteen games, in line with other national championship events, over the two days of the tournament. Because this event will be played by highly skilled all-star teams, the question difficulty will be higher than that used at existing national championships such as the NSC and HSNCT. The style and subject distribution of the questions will be quite similar to existing “modified ACF” sets, such as the sets HSAPQ wrote in its past.
Eric Mukherjee will be the NASAT set’s head editor.

The entry fee is $600 per team with a $20 discount for bringing up to one buzzer system per team and a further $20 discount if we receive your payment by May 31, 2018 at our mailing address, which is available by request via email at [email protected]. Each state is welcome and encouraged to register additional (B and on) teams for NASAT. Each additional team will cost $425 per team, minus any discounts the state wishes to claim (mainly the buzzer discount). It is vastly preferred if you pay ahead of time if at all possible.

All teams must submit an application to IQBT for entry into the tournament. In the vast majority of these cases, applications will be accepted outright. However, if more than one contingent from a state seeks to enter this tournament, IQBT will evaluate applications from each potential team and determine who may represent their state at the National All-Star Academic Tournament. The only criterion that will be used in this decision is our assessment, based on a review of the players' achievements in the 2017-18 competition year, of which team is likely to perform the best at the tournament. Therefore, GPA, test scores, and non-academic extracurricular activities should not be included on any application; other academic extracurricular activities (e.g. Science Bowl) should only be included if there were limited opportunities for teams in the state to compete at quizbowl. IQBT plans to continue consulting with a regional network of advisors who will consult with IQBT on these decisions.

IQBT will once again use a rolling application procedure: teams who submit applications to IQBT on or before March 26 will be notified of IQBT's decision no later than March 31. We may also approve an application submitted from this point onwards as soon as "immediately" if we find it unlikely that a stronger team from the state could be assembled. Teams who submit applications to IQBT between March 26 and June 1, inclusive, will be notified no later than one week after the application is received. In other words, March 26 is not a hard deadline, and you may still enter the tournament afterwards, though you are encouraged to start forming and fundraising as soon as possible so that a logistical problem does not cause an interested team to miss the tournament. Once a team from a state or state-equivalent has been approved by IQBT, IQBT will no longer accept alternate applications from that state, but will accept roster changes made by the official team contact (in most cases, the individual that submitted the application). Team applications and recruitment will be handled by Fred Morlan; you can email me at [email protected].

The tournament will be directed by Fred Morlan. I have previously been the tournament director of the 2012 NASAT and have served in various roles directing PACE NSCs over the last decade.

I’m very excited for this tournament and am looking forward to another wonderful competition.
Last edited by AKKOLADE on Sun Jun 17, 2018 8:29 pm, edited 5 times in total.
Fred Morlan
University of Kentucky CoP, 2017
International Quiz Bowl Tournaments, CEO, co-owner
former PACE member, president, etc.
former hsqbrank manager, former NAQT writer & subject editor, former hsqb Administrator/Chief Administrator
Antrobus63
Wakka

Re: 2018 NASAT - 6/16-6/17

Post by Antrobus63 »

We're stoked.
Peter Schmidt
Columbia '84, Yale '88
Coach, Moravian Academy History Bowl 2020-23
Lehigh Valley Academy 2016-18
Pennsylvania NASAT '15, ‘18, ‘22, '23
Owner and Teacher, Prepare Test Preparation
ScottF
Lulu

Post by ScottF »

AKKOLADE wrote:This is a preliminary announcement that International Quiz Bowl Tournaments will be hosting the National All-Star Academic Tournament on the campus of the University of Kentucky on June 16 and June 17.
Any guesses as to when registration will start?
Scott Fowler
River Trail Middle School
Northview High School
AKKOLADE
Sin

Post by AKKOLADE »

Soon. I'm hoping to have that open by this weekend. I will have a full main site announcement posted by tomorrow.
Fred Morlan
former hsqbrank manager, former NAQT writer & subject editor, former hsqb Administrator/Chief Administrator
AKKOLADE
Sin

Post by AKKOLADE »

I've posted the full announcement in the first post of this thread. Applications are now welcome.

The email address I'm using is [email protected]. This is a brand new email address; therefore, if you have any issues contacting me, please let me know via the forums or my personal email address of [email protected] ASAP.
Last edited by AKKOLADE on Wed Feb 28, 2018 10:25 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Fred Morlan
AKKOLADE
Sin

Post by AKKOLADE »

Registered teams (29):

California A: Daniel Wang, Jeffrey Qiu, Boopala Arul, Justin French
California B: Alistair Gray (Homestead, 12), Swapnil Garg (Harker, 12), and Karan Gurazada (Leigh, 9)
China Rainbow: Chansol Park, Shanghai American School Puxi; Caroline Mao, American International School of Guangzhou; Jacky Liu, American International School of Guangzhou; Ethan Qiu, Shanghai American School Puxi
Georgia A: Albert Ting, Walton HS; Akaash Para, Northview HS; Jessica Lao. Westminster; Ishaan Ghosh, N. Atlanta
Illinois A: Ethan Strombeck, Hanson Hao, Mitch McCullar, Govind Prabhakar
Illinois B: Arjun Nageswaran, Kevin Kodama, Ethan Ashbrook, Sophie Netzel, Mark Thomas-Patterson
Kentucky Cobalt: Ethan Garvin - Raceland; Mason Reid - Glasgow; Shashank - Dunbar; Max Bograd - Dunbar
Kentucky Royal: Rajeev Nair - Glasgow; Angus Maske - Dunbar; Dawson Coover - Blazer; Emily Girard - Simon Kenton
Kentucky Blue: Hunter West - Raceland; Wesley Steele - Russell; Eli Gooch - Danville; Garrison Page - Glasgow
Maryland Red: Jiawei Bei (c); Daniel Yang; Sophia Weng; Matthew Shu
Maryland Gold: Adam Howlett (c) ; Olivia Chen; Ian Rackow; Emmaline Alme
Maryland Black: Alex Hu (c); Jakob Boeye; Anson Berns; Katherine Lei
Michigan A: Chris from DCD, Daniel from DCD, Tuhin from Troy, Sarod from Okemos
Missouri A: Raj Paul, Ladue; Akshay Govindan, Ladue; Michael Powers, Louisiana; William Gentry, St. Joseph Central
Missouri B: Ganon Evans, Francis Howell; Savannah Dillard, Thomas Jefferson Independent; Collin Gentry, St. Joseph Central; Ben Husting,Helias
Nevada A: Eshaan Vakil
New Jersey A: Douglas Simons (captain); Montagu James; Aditya Udupa; Darren Petrosino; Michael Li
New York A: Chloe Levine (captain) [Hunter], Max Shatan [Bard], Daniel Ma [Hunter], Gilad Avrahami [Hunter]
New York B: Sam Brochin (captain) [Hunter], Alex Pyle [Troy], Andersen Gu [Great Neck South], Noah Sheidlower [Great Neck South], Lev Bernstein [Bard]
North Carolina A: Tejas Santanam (12, Early College at Guilford); Ridge Ren (11, Early College at Guilford); Derek Chen (11, Early College at Guilford); Nick Parker (11, East Chapel Hill)
Ohio A: Clark Smith, Hari Parameswaran, Sam Oguntoyinbo, and John John Groger.
Ohio B: Edward Liu (Dublin Scioto, 10), William Groger (Miami Valley, 9), Timmy Huang (Solon, 11), and Pranav Padmanabhan (Boardman, 12)
Pennsylvania Blue: Jakobi Deslouches, Bryce Katch, Dan Nguyen, Alex Schmidt, Vishwa Shanmugam
Pennsylvania Gold: Richard Chen, Austin Davis, Michael Goerlitz, Jackie Wu
Pennsylvania White: Vijay Anne, Michael Buffa, Will Davis, Anish Gadgil, Connor Mayers, Will Yaeger
Tennessee: Jack Lewis, Jonathan Caldwell, Adi Sujithkumar, Sanjay Chakrabarty
Virginia A: Fred Zhang, James Kuang, Justin Young, Kevin Wang
Virginia B: Jacob Augelli, Kelin Carpenter, Benjamin Xu, Sohom Paul
Virginia C: John Brown, Julia Zhou, Dan Ni, Prithvi Nathan, Selena Bao

Interested teams:

Florida

*Illinois' rosters will include:

Ethan Ashbrook, University Laboratory H.S. (Urbana,) Class of 2020; Hanson Hao, Illinois Mathematics and Science Acad. (Aurora,) Class of 2019; Kevin Kodama, Oak Park-River Forest H.S., Class of 2019; Mitch McCullar, Williamsville H.S., Class of 2018; Arjun Nageswaran, Adlai E. Stevenson H.S. (Lincolnshire,) Class of 2021; Sophie Netzel, Glenbard West H.S. (Glen Ellyn,) Class of 2020; Govind Prabhakar, Adlai E. Stevenson H.S. (Lincolnshire,) Class of 2020; Ethan Strombeck, Auburn H.S. (Rockford,) Class of 2019; Mark Thomas-Patterson, O'Fallon H.S., Class of 2018
Last edited by AKKOLADE on Fri Jun 15, 2018 4:00 pm, edited 53 times in total.
Fred Morlan
SirMrGuy
Lulu

Post by SirMrGuy »

AKKOLADE wrote:Any player who was enrolled in the 12th grade or below in a school physically located in that state during the 2016-2017 academic year is eligible to play on his or her state's team.
Is this supposed to say 2017-18?
Steven Liu

Cedar Drive MS '15
High Tech '19
MIT '23
I do mathy stuff for Groger Ranks.

"I'm going insane because I miss Steven so much" -Michael Li
AKKOLADE
Sin

Post by AKKOLADE »

yep

Edit: fixed it. Thanks for pointing that out!
Fred Morlan
AKKOLADE
Sin

Re: 2018 NASAT - 6/16-6/17 at the University of Kentucky

Post by AKKOLADE »

I've updated the post a couple up thread to reflect interest I've heard from people. I'll be keeping it updated as we get closer to the date.
Fred Morlan
eseifte1
Wakka

Post by eseifte1 »

Here is our current roster from Maryland. We should have it set with 12 students by April 15 which will constitute 3 teams.

Alex Hu senior Richard Montgomery
Adam Howlett senior Richard Montgomery
Anson Berns junior Montgomery Blair
Jakob Boeye senior Centennial
Emmaline Alme senior Centennial
Jiawei Bei senior Churchill
Olivia Chen junior Richard Montgomery
Ian Rackow junior Montgomery Blair
Katherine Lei sophomore Montgomery Blair
Sophia Weng sophomore Montgomery Blair

Eric and Sara Seifter
John Heslin
Coaches NASAT Maryland
Eric Seifter Coach, Centennial High School It's Academic
CuChulainsSixthToe
Kimahri

Post by CuChulainsSixthToe »

Any idea on the rule set that will be used?
I'm assuming ACF?
Mason Reid
Glasgow High School C/O '19
2017 and 2018 SSNCT Champion
2017 and 2018 KY NASAT
AKKOLADE
Sin

Post by AKKOLADE »

I've seen some discussion over the last few years about the structure required to send a team. Here's what is required:

1) A team of up to six players selected via a fair process that doesn't exclude potential competitors in an unfair manner.
1a) Your state can send multiple teams
2) Registration with IQBT by emailing me at [email protected]
3) Payment of the entry fee
4) A chaperone
4a) If 4 is a problem, tell me and we can talk about it.

That's it.
Fred Morlan
c*t
Wakka

Post by c*t »

To clarify, is the -$20 discount per team or per state?
Catherine Qian (she/her/hers)
Maggie L. Walker Governor's School '18
University of Pennsylvania '22
Secretary, PACE
AKKOLADE
Sin

Post by AKKOLADE »

Per team.
Fred Morlan
AKKOLADE
Sin

Post by AKKOLADE »

I've been sitting on a couple of emails; I've been sidetracked on responding to them due to outside work. I'm hoping to get responses to all of them out by tomorrow.
Fred Morlan
AKKOLADE
Sin

Post by AKKOLADE »

By my count, we're currently at 15 teams officially registered for this year's NASAT. If your team is not on the above list and it should be, please let me know ASAP. If you would like to send a team to this year's NASAT, let me know as soon as you can! You can email me at [email protected]

Thank you!
Fred Morlan
AKKOLADE
Sin

Post by AKKOLADE »

We're now at 21 teams with what I believe is the first ever international team as China will be represented this year!
Fred Morlan
AKKOLADE
Sin

Post by AKKOLADE »

With the entry of Nevada, we're now up to 22 teams!
Fred Morlan
AKKOLADE
Sin

Post by AKKOLADE »

Pennsylvania requested that its teams be referred to by colors rather than letters. If your team would like to do this as well, please let me know and I'll update the field to reflect this accordingly.
Fred Morlan
AKKOLADE
Sin

Post by AKKOLADE »

The NASAT field has reached 24 teams. I anticipate 2 or 3 more once Kentucky registers. I'm waiting on hearing the final word from Florida and Washington, but I think those are the last two possible entries that are hanging in the balance.
Fred Morlan
AKKOLADE
Sin

Post by AKKOLADE »

I stand corrected; we're now up to 25 teams with Ohio B entering the field.
Fred Morlan
AKKOLADE
Sin

Post by AKKOLADE »

Kentucky has registered with three teams, which appears to have finalized the field barring a late entry.
Fred Morlan
AKKOLADE
Sin

Post by AKKOLADE »

I just emailed everyone this, but here's a permission slip that I need every player's parent/guardian to sign & email to me ASAP before the tournament.
Attachments
permission slips.docx
(16.26 KiB) Downloaded 466 times
Fred Morlan
AKKOLADE
Sin

Post by AKKOLADE »

With North Carolina's registration, we're now at 29 teams.
Last edited by AKKOLADE on Thu Sep 06, 2018 10:13 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Fred Morlan
AKKOLADE
Sin

Post by AKKOLADE »

I realize I never posted the distribution here; it's the same as last year, which Mike Cheyne detailed in this post.
Fred Morlan
eseifte1
Wakka

Post by eseifte1 »

Here are the rosters from Maryland. We also want to adopt the same naming system as Pennsylvania which is using state colors instead of letters.

Maryland Red
Jiawei Bei (c)
Daniel Yang
Sophia Weng
Matthew Shu

Maryland Gold
Adam Howlett (c)
Olivia Chen
Ian Rackow
Emmaline Alme

Maryland Black
Alex Hu (c)
Jakob Boeye
Anson Berns
Katherine Lei

Eric and Sara Seifter
John Heslin
Eric Seifter Coach, Centennial High School It's Academic
dwd500
Wakka

Post by dwd500 »

Missouri B should include Ben Husting from Helias.
David Dennis
Middle School Choir Director
District Scholar Bowl Coach
Washington, MO

Murray State University, 2001
Breckinridge County High School, KY 1996
AKKOLADE
Sin

Post by AKKOLADE »

Every team's roster has been posted, with the exception of Illinois, who are still deciding between their A & B teams. I have posted the list of players they have submitted in this thread, though.
Fred Morlan
AKKOLADE
Sin

Post by AKKOLADE »

As a reminder, signed permission slips for chaperones are required for all players UNLESS they are either 18 years of age or their parent/guardian is traveling with them. If either is the case, you are still required to notify me by email that you are 18 or that your parent is traveling with you.

Signed media permission slips are strongly, strongly recommended.
Fred Morlan
AKKOLADE
Sin

Post by AKKOLADE »

Also, if someone from team New York could get in touch with me, please do so. I haven't heard from anyone for my last several emails.
Fred Morlan
AKKOLADE
Sin

Post by AKKOLADE »

The set is 100% written and is in the final stages of editing and assembly.
Fred Morlan
AKKOLADE
Sin

Post by AKKOLADE »

Quick announcement: there can be no side events at Whitehall Classroom Building this weekend.
Fred Morlan
AKKOLADE
Sin

Post by AKKOLADE »

WHAT TO DO IN LEXINGTON KENTUCKY

THE DRIVERS ARE STILL BAD

still uuuuuuuuugh

HORSES

There are lots of horses in Lexington. Hope you like horses.

There are two race tracks, Keeneland and the Red Mile. Keeneland seems to be nicer and conducts tours during their offeseasons. Lexington has the Kentucky Horse Park, which is the home of 50+ breeds. Both Keeneland and the KY Horse Park are very beautiful.

The Lexington Rodeo is tonight and tomorrow.

There's also some horse jumping show thing.

HISTORY

Historic sites include:the house Mary Todd Lincoln grew up in, Henry Clay's home, the Hunt-Morgan house with connections to John Hunt Morgan & Thomas Hunt Morgan; and more. This link history has lots more places to check out too.

Shaker Village of Pleasant Hill is the preserved site of what was at one time the third largest group of Shakers in the U.S. It's about a half hour away from Lexington.

OTHER

Joseph-Beth is a very nice local independent book store. There are multiple Half Price Books.

=https://finearts.uky.edu/music/events/ ... Singing!"

UK also has a very nice arboretum.

There's various escape rooms and activity areas. Malibu Jacks is a local mini-chain of combination mini-golf/go-kart/etc. things.

The Incredibles 2 opens this weekend.

CALENDARS

Official for the city

Ace Weekly

I will try to add more to this as I can.
Fred Morlan
AKKOLADE
Sin

Post by AKKOLADE »

WHERE TO EAT IN LEXINGTON

If I overlooked anything or if you have a question, don't hesitate to ask me.

For lunches:

Here is a map of some restaurants near White Hall. For lunch purposes, there's a few places you really need to avoid:

Pazzo's
Goodfellas
Mellow Mushroom
Joe Bologna's

They're all pizza places, and they all can be pretty slow. If you don't want to tempt the TD into DQ'ing you for being late to your match after lunch, avoid these places.

The quality of the other places should be covered below.

Anything that says "#1 pick" is one of my more favorite places in town.

For dinners

Okay, so you've traveled from where ever to Lexington. In terms of dining, Lexington's a pretty nice place because it has a good range of restaurants at different price points, and there is a lot of quality. I'm going to be lazy and not list restaurants' addresses, because Google is a thing.

Sushi

#1 pick: Osaka. Great prices, great quality. If someone's visiting from out of town, this is probably my favorite place to take them. I've taken some Richmond-area quiz bowlers here while they were traveling through town (and I'm pretty sure Cody was one of them), and they ranked it above their local options. Keep in mind there's a Toyota plant in town, so sushi quality has to be higher than average to make it. They also do hibachi, teriyaki, udon and other options.

Tomo is another good choice, but tends to be noticeably more expensive. I don't really think there's an upgrade in quality here.

Cajun

#1 pick: Bourbon & Tolouse. Again, the food here is great and the prices are pretty good. I love their jambalaya and their etouffee.

Having tried Gumbo Ya-Ya recently, I have to say B&T is worlds better than it.

Burgers

Chains include the obvious suspects, plus Five Guys and Cookout.

Bru Burger is pretty good if you're looking for a higher-end kind of deal.

Tolly-Ho is a combo bar/burger joint. This is a dive, but one of the ones with good food.

We now have a Burger-Fi and a Shake Shack. Both are good.

Italian

#1 pick: Bella Notte. Great, great food. Noticeably fresh. Entrees range from $10-20.

I personally think Joe Bologna's has fallen off badly in the past five years, but some people still swear by it.

Sutton's is great if you enjoy having air conditioning run-off pour onto you and then having to move yourself while the manager and waitress do their best to ignore it.

Pizza

Ignoring chains. Smashing Tomato does a different kind of deal with Neapolitan pizza. Really great stuff.

Puccini's has more of a local feel with interesting pizza options. Sometimes they cross over into "interesting," but YMMV. Also have good Italian entrees, especially their lasagna.

Mellow Mushroom is really good, but can be slow.

I've only recently tried Pies & Pints, but was really impressed by their chicken & gouda pizza. Also have some of the best nachos in town (competing with Saul Good).

There's now a Blaze Pizza, which makes individual oven-fired pizzas. It's a chain. They're pretty good.

Goodfellas is great if you're a fan of grease.

I don't like Pazzo's. Their pizza isn't as good as Mellow Mushroom's, and their customer service can best be described as disdainful.

Mediterranean

#1 pick: Sahara: hopefully if you go here, they'll still have food. They sell out regularly.

Indian

#1 pick: A Taste of India. They have a lunch buffet. Their tandoori & saag options are all great.

Thai

Planet Thai is quite good.

Vietnamese

I recommend Pho BC. They shine, unsurprisingly, in their pho.

Korean

Han Woo Ri. Close to the tournament site, very affordable.

"American"

#1 pick: Saul Good is on the higher end of things. They have great specialty pizzas and entrees like chicken & waffles. At least two locations.

Winchell's is a good diner kind of place. If they have their meatloaf on the menu, you're in luck. Ramsey's is also good, though a little more of a greasy spoon.

#1 pick: Ramsey's is a very solid American-ish, meat & 3 sides kind of place. Their pie is the real highlight, though.

If you want wings, you can do worse than Rooster's, though Lexington is weak in this area. I would recommend eating elsewhere if you want a really good look at the best food you can get in town.

#1 pick: Joella's Hot Chicken. I speak about this at the end.

#1 pick: Local Taco. Pretty close to White Hall. They do fusion tacos which are really good. You have to try the Mexi Tots.

Steakhouses/Fine dining

#1 pick: Malone's. Nicest steakhouse in town, so of course it has a higher price tag. If you want to do the old 'take the team out to celebrate a great year with a fine dinner' kind of deal, this and The Tulip are probably your two best options for that. Probably will need reservations.

#1 pick: The Tulip. Again, higher end. More of a fine dining place. Great food, more expensive than most options on this list. Will probably need reservations.

Sal's: Another really good steakhouse. Again, expensive. Need reservations.

Copper River Grill. "Alaskan themed." Really good, but disgustingly large serving sizes. Located out in Nicholasville, which can be a good half hour drive one-way.

Columbia's. Imagine a 1960s steakhouse transported today, and this is what you have. I recommend the downtown location - I think they have 2. Might be 3.

German

Marikka's. It's German food, so mainly sausages and fried meat. Very good, though. Their mashed potatoes and green beans are great, though.

Cuban

Old San Juan. Literally a mom & pop joint. Mom runs the stove, barely speaks any English and really hopes you like what you eat. Looks like a dive, but you will like their empanadas. - It's been forever since I've been there, so I hope they're still open.

African

#1 pick - Sav's Grill. Really wonderful west African food.

Mexican

#1 pick El Rancho Tapatio. More authentic than other Mexican places in town. I've yet to have anything here that I didn't like (well, other than lingue, but I just don't think I'm a fan of tongue). Great tacos, great enchiladas, great tamales.

Chuy's. A mini-chain, but Tex Mex that seems really good to me. Waiters can be a little hit or miss.

Mi Pequena Hacienda. More Americanized Mexican, but it's done really well. 3 locations.

Region delicacies of note: ah, the hot brown. Basically, if you ever looked at yourself and thought "jeez, I wish I was fatter, had a higher cardiovascular disease risk and was inched closer to diabetes," this is the meal for you. Basically a bowl filled with turkey, bacon, maybe ham, plus Mornay sauce and tomatoes with cheese melted across the top. The tomatoes make it healthy, obviously. It is a food item that you look at and instantly know it is not good for you. If this is something you want to try for yourself, Winchell's and Ramsey's are your best options. I claim no responsibility for what happens after you eat this, and I wouldn't recommend eating this more than once a year. But it is pretty darn good.

There's also hot chicken. KFC tried doing some version of this, but I've heard it's a violation against God. Joella's Hot Chicken does a great version of this. Basically it's fried chicken, but covered in hot sauce and additional sodium. Again, you're in Appalachia - any kind of regional dish isn't going to be healthy. I'm probably underselling this, though - this is ridiculously tasty, possibly because of the discomfort it can cause.

I was asked which restaurants are particularly small. The smallest would be Han Woo Ri and Bourbon & Toulouse, as well as Sav's. Marikka's and Pho BC are a bit small as well. The rest probably won't have issues with space unless a bunch of teams all go at the same time or something.

You might need a reservation for The Tulip, Sal's, and Malone's, especially with it being Father's Day weekend.
Fred Morlan
Cody
2008-09 Male Athlete of the Year

Post by Cody »

I can confirm that Osaka was great, including having Fred great me with KOBE, and so was Bella Notte.

On our way out of town in 2016, our caravan stopped at Loudon Square Buffet and greatly enjoyed the food there. I'm sure there are some other Southern-style buffets that are worth exploring as well.
Cody Voight, VCU ’14.
AKKOLADE
Sin

Post by AKKOLADE »

There's also a new area in town called The Summit at Fritz Farm, which introduced various high end stores as well as some very good restaurants. The one Blaze Pizza is there. They also have:

Babalu, really good tacos & tapas. #1 pick
Athenian Grill, very good Mediterranean food
Blue Sushi, a chain
Edley's BBQ, which is solid
Texas de Brazil, which is an all you can eat Brazilian steakhouse. Obviously this takes awhile.
Fred Morlan
AKKOLADE
Sin

Post by AKKOLADE »

Here is the schedule for this year's NASAT!
Attachments
2018 NASAT schedule (verAF).docx
(31.89 KiB) Downloaded 474 times
Fred Morlan
AKKOLADE
Sin

Post by AKKOLADE »

If you're curious as to what the book prizes are, you can see them here!

https://twitter.com/iqbtquizbowl/status ... 0260477952

Additionally, I gave away a SNES Classic to a person randomly selected from the field, which turned out to be Eshaan Vakil of Nevada!
Fred Morlan
AKKOLADE
Sin

Post by AKKOLADE »

If you are a team with a bye in round 7, please do not leave the building. You need to stay in case of a tiebreaker, which will be played at the start of the lunch hour.

Lunch is currently projected to take place at 2 p.m. for most teams, with teams in tiebreakers leaving a little after that. Round 9 is expected to start at 3:45 p.m.

Playoff seeds will be posted online on HSQB and sent out via email to attendees during lunch, with a projected time of about 3 p.m. for that.
Fred Morlan
AKKOLADE
Sin

Post by AKKOLADE »

Here are the playoff seeds and schedules.
Attachments
2018 NASAT schedule - playoffs only.docx
(26.27 KiB) Downloaded 460 times
Fred Morlan
AKKOLADE
Sin

Post by AKKOLADE »

Congratulations to the NASAT All-Stars!

1. Clark Smith, Dublin Scioto, 12 - 66.67 PPG
2. Jack Lewis, Battle Ground, 12 - 66.67 PPG
3. Alex Schmidt, Lehigh Valley, 12 - 65.00 PPG
4. Vishwa Shanmugam, Downingtown STEM, 12 - 60.00 PPG
5. Eshaan Vakil, Ed W. Clark, 10 - 56.43 PPG
6. Fred Zhang, Thomas Jefferson, 11 - 50.83 PPG
7. Justin French, Crystal Springs Uplands, 12 - 45.83 PPG
8. Ethan Strombeck, Rockford Auburn, 11 - 45.00 PPG
9. Richard Chen, Friends Select, 12 - 40.00 PPG
10. Garrison Page, Glasgow, 12 - 40.00 PPG

For the top spot, Clark Smith gets the nod over Jack Lewis for having a higher position in his prelim group. The same goes for Richard Chen vs. Garrison Page for 9th place.

Congratulations to all of these players, and best of luck to everyone this afternoon and tomorrow.
Fred Morlan
AKKOLADE
Sin

Post by AKKOLADE »

Fred Morlan
AKKOLADE
Sin

Post by AKKOLADE »

If this is your jacket, please let me know.

https://twitter.com/iqbtquizbowl/status ... 7211512833
Fred Morlan
AKKOLADE
Sin

Post by AKKOLADE »

I hope everyone enjoyed today! Please remember to arrive in the morning by 9 am. Seeds for the super playoffs will be posted by me later and emailed out as well. I see at least one double entered game in the third division involving a Kentucky team; I will correct that as well.
Fred Morlan
AKKOLADE
Sin

Post by AKKOLADE »

Here are the seeds updated for Sunday.

There will be one tiebreaker for the super-playoff rounds. It will be between Tennessee Slate Grey and Virginia A. This game will be played at 9 a.m. in room 203.

All other super-playoff teams will start play at 9:30 a.m, starting with round 15. The games those super-playoff teams played against the fellow teams from the X or Y bracket played in the playoffs will carry over (for example, Illinois A, Ohio A & Missouri A's games against each other from Saturday afternoon will carry over, while each will play California A, Pennsylvania Blue, and the winner of Virginia A & Tennessee, etc.).

All teams in Tier II and Tier III begin play at 9 a.m.

All ties will be broken for the top six teams over all. No other ties will be broken.

The finals will be advantaged if necessary. If a team clears the field by 2 games they will have clinched the championship.
Attachments
2018 NASAT schedule - sunday only.docx
(24.52 KiB) Downloaded 452 times
Fred Morlan
AKKOLADE
Sin

Post by AKKOLADE »

Virginia A has defeated Tennessee Slate Grey in today's tiebreaker, 300-290 with a sudden death tossup.

The updated schedule is attached.
Attachments
2018 NASAT schedule - sunday only.docx
(24.5 KiB) Downloaded 320 times
Fred Morlan
AKKOLADE
Sin

Post by AKKOLADE »

Fred Morlan
mlaird
Tidus

Post by mlaird »

Illinois A is currently tied with Ohio A for 2nd place, and will play a rematch tie-breaker game for the right to play Virginia A. Virginia will be advantaged in the final. A tie-breaker for 4th place is happening between Pennsylvania Blue and California A.

UPDATE: Illinois A moves on to play Virginia A in an advantaged final. Ohio A finishes in 3rd. Illinois needs to win 2, Virginia only needs to win 1 to claim the title.

California A won the other tie-breaker, meaning they will finish 4th and Pennsylvania Blue finishes 5th.
justinduffy
Lulu

Post by justinduffy »

Will the finals be streamed anywhere?
Justin Duffy
Mounds View '18
Harvard '22, '25
mlaird
Tidus

Post by mlaird »

justinduffy wrote:Will the finals be streamed anywhere?
I think they are recording them, but the questions aren't clear, so it won't be posted until later. You can go over to the IHSSBCA facebook page, we are liveblogging the game(s) there.