5th Annual Tar Heel Cup

Dormant threads from the high school sections are preserved here.
Red-necked Phalarope
Rikku

5th Annual Tar Heel Cup

Post by Red-necked Phalarope »

The Carolina Academic Team will be hosting the 5th annual Tar Heel Cup at the campus of UNC-Chapel Hill on Saturday, October 29th. This is, I believe, a bit traditionally earlier than we normally run it, but it's the only Saturday relatively close to Thanksgiving when UNC isn't playing a home football game.

The Tar Heel Cup is an NAQT-style (without timers) high school tournament run for all interested teams from the state of North Carolina. We are tentatively considering opening the field to teams from VA and SC for the first time, but I'll post more if we end up deciding to do that.

Fees, registration deadlines, and the like will be posted in the next few days, but nothing should be particularly different from previous years. Contact (BriceIs) (At) (UNC) (Dot) (EDU) (minus spaces and parentheses, naturally) if you're interested in registering or want more information. Thanks!

-Brice Russ
President, Carolina Academic Team
Red-necked Phalarope
Rikku

The fees and registration deadlines for the Tar Heel Cup will be as follows:

Base fee: $80
Additional teams: $55

Register by October 3rd (emailed or postmarked): -$10
Register between October 3rd and 17th: no change
Register between October 17th and 24th: +$10
No entries accepted with email or postmark date after October 24
(all registration discounts/penalties apply to the first team from each school only)

Working buzzer set: -$10 (max. one per team)

To register, email the address in the previous post with your school name and address, number of teams participating, whether you're bringing a buzzer or not, team roster(s)*, and name and contact information for your advisor.

Teams who have previously participated in the Tar Heel Cup should be receiving this information via email and/or snail mail over the next week. Payment details will be sent out after your team is registered.

I'm looking forward to another great tournament; let me know if you have any questions.

*These don't have to be set in stone; having a list of the students playing for each team in advance just makes statkeeping infinitely easier. If you need to change your team(s)' roster, just let us know the day of the tournament or before.

--------------------------------------

Registered teams:

J.M. Robinson (x2)
Richmond Senior
Raleigh Charter (x3)
Chapel Hill High (x3)
Terry Sanford (x2)
Walter Williams
Greensboro Day School (x2)
Rocky Mount Academy
NCSSM (x3)
Lee County
Grimsley (x4)
Clayton (x1-x3?)
Cape Fear Christian
Last edited by Red-necked Phalarope on Wed Oct 12, 2005 5:05 pm, edited 7 times in total.
Red-necked Phalarope
Rikku

Due to delays in the mailing of snail-mail invitations, the deadline for early registration has been extended to October 6th. All other deadlines remain the same; thanks for your continued interest.
First Chairman
Auron

Post by First Chairman »

Brice,

If you need any additional help, give the Duke folks a heads up.
Emil Thomas Chuck, Ph.D.
Founder, PACE
Facebook junkie and unofficial advisor to aspiring health professionals in quiz bowl
---
Pimping Green Tea Ginger Ale (Canada Dry)
Red-necked Phalarope
Rikku

Thanks! We're actually in the middle of sending out the invitations right now--they should all be out by tomorrow--but I'm pretty sure we're going to be pulling in folks from left, right and below to moderate on tournament day. When I get a finer count on how many teams and moderators we're expecting, I'll let you know if there's any way y'all can help.

I definitely appreciate this; have a good evening.
Red-necked Phalarope
Rikku

Raleigh Charter A averaged something in the ballpark of 475 PPG on their way to winning the Tar Heel Cup undefeated. Will Schultz of RCA, averaging about 130 PPG, ran away with the individual scoring award and took home a copy of Connections: Social and Cultural Studies of the Telephone in American Life.

More detailed stats to come soon.
radiantradon
Lulu

Post by radiantradon »

Yay! Congrats to Raleigh Charter A for quite an amazing feat.

-Katherine, Walter Williams team
DrakeRQB
Rikku

Post by DrakeRQB »

For our first competition of the year with two teams comprised mostly of sophomores, I suppose we did well, though we were hoping for our varsity to make the Round of 16 like we did last year. It just wasn't to be.

Some thoughts of mine from the tournament...

-- Will Schultz from RCHS A is something else. He answered something like 13 tossups against our JV.
-- The questions this year were much tougher than last year's. If you were weak in literature and mythology you were in trouble.
-- My only real problem was with some of the question reading. We had a few moderators who were pretty bad with regards to pronunciation and enforcing time on bonuses.

But all in all, thanks to Brice and the Carolina Academic Team for a job well done. We'll look forward to paying you a visit again next year.
Alex Drake
Robinson HS
Concord, N.C.

http://www.robinsonquizbowl.com
rchschem
Yuna

Post by rchschem »

If you bought the questions, wait until you read the semifinal round before you say the rest of the tournament was hard. Final score: RCHS B beat Walter Williams 55-40. This set was one of the most obscure I have EVER heard. Totally inappropriate for a high school match--those Marylanders should be keel-hauled.

This was the best-run THC ever, not counting the minor oversight that the dining hall was closed. Maybe this was announced early; I seem to have missed it.

There were a few reader problems but by and large a good job by the UNC club. Thanks--we'll be back next year!

Eric
wwellington
Wakka

Post by wwellington »

This was the best-run THC ever, not counting the minor oversight that the dining hall was closed. Maybe this was announced early; I seem to have missed it.
I think we all totally forgot to mention it, although Lenoir is never open on the weekends (except on football Saturdays, when they open some of the places on the bottom). Sorry about that.

On the plus side, it seemed like there was plenty of time to go up to Franklin Street, which has better food anyway.

Raleigh Charter A seemed to do all right with the semifinal round, although that probably ties into Will Schultz being ridiculously good.
Dan Greenstein
Yuna

Post by Dan Greenstein »

rchschem wrote:If you bought the questions, wait until you read the semifinal round before you say the rest of the tournament was hard. Final score: RCHS B beat Walter Williams 55-40. This set was one of the most obscure I have EVER heard. Totally inappropriate for a high school match--those Marylanders should be keel-hauled.
What do Marylanders have to do with it?
Red-necked Phalarope
Rikku

Complete and individual stats are now up at http://www.unc.edu/~rbruss/thc05/ .

Playoff results:
(1) Raleigh Charter A def. (16) Grimsley A 390-60
(9) Richmond Senior def. (8) Terry Sanford A 145-140
(13) NCSSM A def. (4) Chapel Hill A 145-140
(5) NCSSM B def. (12) Raleigh Charter D 205-50
(3) Raleigh Charter C def. (14) Chapel Hill B 175-55
(6) Walter Williams def. (11) Rocky Mount Academy 235-75
(7) Terry Sanford B def. (10) Greensboro Day A 105-95
(2) Raleigh Charter B def. (15) Chapel Hill B 175-55

(1) Raleigh Charter A def. (9) Richmond Senior 460-60
(5) NCSSM B def. (13) NCSSM A 130-115
(6) Walter Williams def. (3) Raleigh Charter C 200-110
(2) Raleigh Charter B def. (7) Terry Sanford B 150-75

Raleigh Charter A def. NCSSM A 270-25
Raleigh Charter B def. Walter Williams 55-40

Finals:
Raleigh Charter A 280
Raleigh Charter B 70

---------------------------------------------------------------

Thanks to everyone for showing up: I want to especially thank the Duke and NC State quiz bowl teams for helping us moderate, Dr. Emil Chuck for his assistance with SQBS and overall helpfulness, and Sam van Oort, Hadley Rouse and Kate Capehart for some last-minute heroics.

This was the first tournament I've run, so I'm glad to see it didn't completely explode in my face like I was fearing it would. I'll try to address a few of the problems y'all've brought up:

-We bought the packets from the MAQT's spring HS tournament, so the sudden increase in difficulty was a bit odd seeing as how they were the same source we bought them from last year. I'll agree with you though that the packets, particularly the first round and semifinals, were a fair deal harder than last year's (the first scoresheet I saw turned in yesterday was a 60-35 win, which scared the dickens out of me). I tried to resolve some of this by some editing the week of the tournament, but there were some other issues with the packets I was distracted by as well.

-As our quiz bowl team has had a pleasantly surprising influx of members this year, I'm considering writing next year's tournament in-house. Our team this year is pretty young, though, so that wasn't an option this time around. (That's probably a decent enough explanation for why some of our readers weren't the best on the circuit, though I'll take the heat for not prepping them perhaps as much as I should have.)

-The dining-hall thing was also my fault; UNC opened another dining hall on South Campus a few months ago, with the result that Lenoir is now closed on weekends. I don't eat there often, so this completely slipped my mind when making announcements. Lenoir's about a two minute walk from where the tournament was, though, so I hope this didn't inconvenience anyone that much.

I'll be sending out final errata to coaches over the next day; thanks again to everyone (and congrats to all four Raleigh Charter teams, especially Will, on their astounding play), and continue to let me know about your comments or complaints.

-Brice Russ
President, Carolina Academic Team
Last edited by Red-necked Phalarope on Mon Oct 31, 2005 4:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
insaneindian
Wakka

Post by insaneindian »

was this an NAQT question set? im not sure becasue i dont know if MAQT was a typo or something i havent heard about.
Abhi Hendi
University Of Pennsylvania '10
bigtrain
Rikku

Post by bigtrain »

Maryland Academic Quiz Team.
Alex Price
Walter Johnson 2006
Emory University 2010