Scobol Solo November 12

Dormant threads from the high school sections are preserved here.
Stained Diviner
Auron

Scobol Solo November 12

Post by Stained Diviner »

The 5th Annual New Trier Scobol Solo will be Saturday, November 12. Information about the tournament, including costs, deadlines, and old questions and results, can be found here. Everybody who enters is guaranteed seven matches. Each match consists of twenty tossups without bonuses, and simplified Swiss Pairings are used to make the matches interesting.

For your convenience, there is now an index for old questions.

New Trier is located just North of Chicago near Lake Michigan. Everybody from far and near is welcome to compete.
jrbarry
Tidus

Post by jrbarry »

Can a player from far away come and play without adult coaching/supervision?
Stained Diviner
Auron

Yes.

At the risk of sounding like a jerk, however, let me state the obvious: I expect any coach sending a player without supervision to explain to the player that their conduct should be above what is normally expected because there is no adult to calm them down or point them in the right direction. I also hope that the student would be somebody who has earned the complete confidence of the coach. By allowing a student to come on his/her own, I am putting my tournament at risk--if anything goes wrong, my administration will get involved in ways that I don't want them to.

To be honest, several years ago I sent a stand-in coach to a different solo tournament that I and my co-coach could not make. One of my students was a jerk and got himself in trouble for mouthing off to a moderator. Sending him was a big mistake on my part, even though he was very bright and won a lot of matches. The other students were nice kids, and I was glad they were able to have the experience even though I couldn't be there.

I respect your judgement, and I would love to have one of your students make the trip. One student came from out-of-state last year. She drove down with her dad, but he spent the day in Chicago. Everything worked out great, including her winning the tournament.
David Reinstein
Head Writer and Editor for Scobol Solo, Masonics, and IESA; TD for Scobol Solo and Reinstein Varsity; IHSSBCA Board Member; IHSSBCA Chair (2004-2014); PACE President (2016-2018)
First Chairman
Auron

Post by First Chairman »

From an administrator's perspective, I'd be a bit afraid. I understand that there are times when educators are expected to behave in loco parentis, and I'd be the first to think it's overkill. However, I also know quite well that if anything goes wrong, the parents are going to be extremely upset.

As much as I assure everyone when it comes to tournaments that a coach is not required to attend, it is a lot less of a liability to deal with students under 18 if they are accompanied by an adult.
Emil Thomas Chuck, Ph.D.
Founder, PACE
Facebook junkie and unofficial advisor to aspiring health professionals in quiz bowl
---
Pimping Green Tea Ginger Ale (Canada Dry)
jrbarry
Tidus

Post by jrbarry »

Should my captain decide to go to this event, I can assure you he will act as the gentleman he is. I cannot guarantee that for all my players, but I can guarantee that for this kid. He is a first class kid.
Stained Diviner
Auron

For the first year or two of the tournament, I had a rule stated clearly in the mailings that students needed to be accompanied by an adult. I got a couple of sob stories before the tournament, and I had a couple of students show up without an adult in violation of what their coaches had received in the mail twice. Not wanting to ruin my brackets (which are quite complicated) or to verify an adult presence for everybody there, I pretended not to notice. None of it lead to any problems.

In general, I don't make rules unless they are going to be enforced. If I did make such a rule and enforce it, I would have to turn back kids who have driven an hour or more because of a mistake their coach made. The students scheduled to play against that person probably would end up playing against an empty chair. I would be willing to have such consequences if a kid was abusive towards somebody involved with the tournament or building or in a case of vandalism, but I have chosen not to have such consequences for a kid showing up by him/herself.
David Reinstein
Head Writer and Editor for Scobol Solo, Masonics, and IESA; TD for Scobol Solo and Reinstein Varsity; IHSSBCA Board Member; IHSSBCA Chair (2004-2014); PACE President (2016-2018)
Tegan
Coach of AHAN Jr.

Post by Tegan »

I may be speaking from an ignorant standpoint here, but especially for those not near a tournament like this (individual vs. team), I think it is one of the most unique, and equally so tremendous tournaments in the midwest all year. If other states have this, I am ignorant to it (and this is very likely a possibility).

So often there is the pressure to "do it for the team". That pressure is completely off here ..... the quality of the questions is very good, and without umteen rules in place for the moderators to interpret, the moderating is pretty darn good (about the worst issue is pronunciation, and that is rarely an issue).

My young team will be represented, hopefully in a small force.
Stained Diviner
Auron

The door to registration is in the process of being closed. If you want to enter and are not listed at the first link at the top of this page, contact me ASAP. Preference will be given to teams that can bring a moderator or two. Additionally, anybody who wants to be paid to moderate all day should contact me.

We have 101 students right now--it will end up being an even number in that neighborhood.
David Reinstein
Stained Diviner
Auron

A copy of the schedule is now online.
http://www.newtrier.k12.il.us/activitie ... /solo.html

See ya Saturday.
David Reinstein
Stained Diviner
Auron

Final rankings from the Championship Match:
1. Robert Sale, Brookwood (GA)
2. Greg Gauthier, Wheaton North
3T. Brad Fischer, Winnebago
3T. Katie Kragh, Loyola
5. Colleen Powers, Auburn
6T. Carlo Angiuli, New Trier
6T. John Bracke, Moline
6T. Nick Matchen, New Trier
9. Ben Weiss, Latin

Details to follow in a few days.
David Reinstein
Tegan
Coach of AHAN Jr.

Post by Tegan »

Allow me to be the first to enter kudos for this tournament....not just to the players for bringing their "A" games, but for another smoothly run tournament by the folks at New Trier, headed by Coach David Reinstein. The questions were great, everything ran on time, and there were plenty of quality performances. Spoecial congrats for Robert Sale.....no questions left here: the best player in the tournament walked (and I do mean walked) away with first place.

(edited because of spelling...stupid English rules!)
thepowerofche
Lulu

Post by thepowerofche »

I'd also like to thank Coach Reinstein and everybody else at New Trier for being so helpful and encouraging to me while I was there. The tournament was very well run and was a great experience for me. I hope I did a good job of representing Brookwood High School and Mr. Barry, and I definitely feel that this tournament was worth the trip (although I wish mine could have been longer; Chicago is really a great city, and for me to have only been up there for under 48 hours is truly a shame). Again, an exciting and highly unique experience in quiz bowl.

- Robert Sale
Stained Diviner
Auron

Tournament questions and full results are now available at http://www.newtrier.k12.il.us/activitie ... /solo.html

Congrats to Robert Sale--a class act and a great player.

Thanks to everybody for their kind words here and at the tournament. It is a ton of work, but it's worth it if it's appreciated by good people.
David Reinstein