Spotswood's 16th Annual ACT I Tournament

Dormant threads from the high school sections are preserved here.
msuter
Lulu

Post by msuter »

Spotswood High School in Penn Laird, Va., (8 miles east of Harrisonburg) will be hosting their sixteenth annual ACT I Tournament on Saturday, Nov. 19. A general meeting will begin at 8:45; competition begins at 9:15 a.m. and should be finished no later than 4 p.m. The deadline for registration is Nov. 10.

The twelfth annual ACT II is scheduled for March 18, 2006. The deadline for registration is March 8.

The tournaments are open to the first 36 teams that register, and we accept multiple teams from any schools who choose to participate. The cost is $50 for the first team and $45 for each additional team from the same school. There is a $10 discount per working buzzer system (limit of two systems), so you could enter two teams ($95) and bring two buzzers ($20 discount) and your cost would be $75. Payment is expected at the time of registration unless you have made prior arrangements to pay when you arrive. If you register and pay for both tournaments at the same time, there is an additional discount. Contact me for those fees.

Each match consists of three rounds: round 1 is 10 tossups with subject-related bonuses, round 2 is a 2-minute 10-question worksheet, and round 3 is 10 slightly more difficult tossups without bonuses. Each team (we play teams of four with substitutions allowed between rounds) is guaranteed five preliminary round-robin matches. The top sixteen teams, based on W-L record and then points, are seeded into the single-elimination finals. Trophies will be awarded to the top two teams.

Juice, coffee and snacks will be provided prior to the first match. Lunch (pizza, hot dogs, salad, popcorn, candy and drinks) will be available at reasonable prices since there probably won't be time to leave campus for lunch.

Harrisonburg is a college city (James Madison University, Eastern Mennonite University, and Bridgewater College all within 5 miles) and has most of the major hotels and motels. It is situated about 120 miles southwest of Washington, DC and 120 miles northwest of Richmond at the intersection of I-81 and US 33. I will send detailed directions and a specific list of hotels and eating establishments to those teams which register.

Email me at [email protected] for fee information or an official registration form or fill out the following information and send it as a preliminary registration.

School Name:_________________________________

School Address:________________________________

School Phone:_________________ School Fax:________________

Coach(es) Name(s)_______________________________________

Coach(es) Phone:_________________________________________

Coach(es) Email:__________________________________________

No. of teams_________________
$50 for first team
$45 for each additional team

No. of buzzers________________
$10 discount per working system
limit of two buzzers

Mail your registration form and check to:
Spotswood ACT
Attn: Marian Suter
368 Blazer Drive
Penn Laird, VA 22846

Marian Suter
ACT I & II Tournament Director
msuter
Lulu

Post by msuter »

Registration is closed for Spotswood's ACT I on November 19. The following teams are registered (all Virginia unless otherwise noted):

Louisa County 2
Monticello - near Charlottesville 1
Fairfax 1
Grace Christian - Staunton 1
Turner Ashby - Bridgewater 2
R.E. Lee - Staunton 3
Douglas Freeman - Richmond 1
Radford 1
Ripley (WV) 1
E. Montgomery - Elliston 2
Parry McCluer - Buena Vista 1
King's Fork - Suffolk 2
Charlottesville 1
Spotswood 1
Encyclopedia Brown
Lulu

Post by Encyclopedia Brown »

Are the automatic bids to PACE NSC still in effect? I am simply curious.
Dave Porter,
Assistant coach in the Peninsula area
W&M (trash only) (2008-present)
CNU Quizbowl (2007)
Freeman HS President (2003-2005)
msuter
Lulu

Post by msuter »

I haven't contacted Dr. Chuck this year but last year (and our tournament format hasn't changed), top finishers in Spotswood's ACT tournaments were eligible for wild card bids to PACE. You might contact him to see if this is still the situation.
msuter
Lulu

Post by msuter »

Results from Spotswood’s ACT I Tournament Nov. 19, 2005

All teams played 5 preliminary round-robin matches beginning at 9:30 a.m. Since we had 20 teams, the 13th-14th, 15th-16th, 17th-18th and 19th-20th seeds after the prelims played a 20-tossup play-in match to make the 16-team single-elimination finals. Results from the finals are below (if you’re interested in the prelim scores, I’ll be glad to email them to you):

Octofinals
1- Charlottesville 315
16 – Eastern Montgomery A 30

2 – Douglas Freeman 205
15 – R.E. Lee B 130

3- Monticello 220
14- King’s Fork B 65

4-R.E. Lee A 255
13- Turner Ashby B 35

5-Spotswood 220
12- Turner Ashby A 150

6-Ripley 245
11- King’s Fork A 175

7- Louisa A 145
10- Fairfax 155

8- Radford 245
9- Parry McCluer 125

Quarterfinals
Charlottesville 290
Radford 215

Douglas Freeman 170
Fairfax 160

Monticello 190
Ripley 160

R.E. Lee A 185
Spotswood 130

Semifinals
Charlottesville 315
R.E. Lee A 180

Douglas Freeman 205
Monticello 150

Championship
Charlottesville 350
Douglas Freeman 120

We had a great day of competition and lots of good sportsmanship and were finished by 3:30 p.m.

We look forward to seeing even more teams at ACT II on March 18, 2006. If your school is interested, copy the registration form at the top of this thread or email me at [email protected].
First Chairman
Auron

Post by First Chairman »

msuter wrote:I haven't contacted Dr. Chuck this year but last year (and our tournament format hasn't changed), top finishers in Spotswood's ACT tournaments were eligible for wild card bids to PACE. You might contact him to see if this is still the situation.
We are in the process of considering changes to the bid program, but basically, if you are interested in going to PACE, let me know. (It is driving distance this year for central Virginia.)
Emil Thomas Chuck, Ph.D.
Founder, PACE
Facebook junkie and unofficial advisor to aspiring health professionals in quiz bowl
---
Pimping Green Tea Ginger Ale (Canada Dry)