Alabama '05-'06

Dormant threads from the high school sections are preserved here.
STPickrell
Auron

Post by STPickrell »

Matthew: Do you guys have pre-set districts and regions like in the VHSL or is it announced at the start of the season for every sport like the IHSA?
Shawn Pickrell, HSAPQ CFO
quizbowllee
Auron

Post by quizbowllee »

Steven, I understand most of what you said. I agree that the districts are necessary. However, sometimes I have to wonder about them. For example, why does LAMP go to Dothan (105.8 miles from Montgomery) instead of Central Alabama CC (56.32 miles away)???

One of my friends who sometimes helps out with my teams took a look at the district assignments yesterday and found several oddities. He has decided to take a map of Alabama and try to physically draw these "district" lines in. We both theorize that it will be impossible. There are too many instances of schools virtually right next to each other going to different districts. I know that Brindlee Mountain and Arab are less than 5 miles apart, but are in different districts.

As for your claim that the good teams won't stop playing... Unfortunately, I don't think that's true. In fact, my team has been very vocal about not really wanting to be in ASCA anymore. They don't like the format, they don't like the unfair districts and regionals, etc. If I didn't MAKE them go this year, I don't think that they would. They are much more concerned with NAQT. Unfortunately, if we stopped attending ASCA and ASCA-format tournaments, we would only be able to go to about 3 or 4 tournaments a year....

Basically my suggestions would be as follows:

1) Give at-large bids to state to at least 4 teams that fail at district and/or regionals based on performance at various invitational and out-of-state tournaments leading up to state.
2) Give automatic invites to the top 4 teams from the year before.
3) Gerrymander the crap out of the districts. Draw actual district lines. Number the districts like our sports do. Make sure that there is a district line between Huntsville and Marshall County, for example. Make sure there is also a line between Huntsville and the rest of Madison County. There are more than enough teams in Huntsville alone to necessitate a district. Same goes for Birmingham. You might even split Huntsville and Birmingham, sending - for example - teams from North Huntsville to one district and teams from South Huntsville to another. As it is right now, ALL of the Huntsville teams go to Snead. All of the Birmingham teams go to Jeff State. That's bad enough, but all the Marshall County Schools (with the very conspicuous exception of Arab High) also go to Snead. This includes Brindlee Mountain and Albertville - a team that is WAAY better than some teams we saw at state last year, but who finished FIFTH at district due to playing us, Grissom, CCA, and Randolph!!!
5) Give automatic state invites to the WINNERS of the pools at district. Allow them to forego regionals. This will keep some of the regions from being so incredibly stacked. Regionals are even worse than districts! The toughest districts seem to be bunched into 2 regionals. But, the weakest districts are bunched into two regionals that are a complete joke.
6) Because of the automatic and at-large bids, allow more teams to go to state. Instead of 2 pools of 8, try having 3 pools of seven (or 8).

Just my suggestions. Also, I'm going to look back over the last few years and see how many "good" teams have stopped playing ASCA. I can think of a couple off the top of my head.
Lee Henry
AP Lit and APUSH Teacher
Quiz Bowl Coach
West Point High School
President-Elect/Past President- Alabama Scholastic Competition Association (ASCA)
Matthew D
Yuna

Post by Matthew D »

From what I understand NO that we don't have preset districts.. it is fluid based on the number of teams in a given area.

Lee, I feel your pain. I wish we could convince more schools to come over to the NAQT style questions and do an overhall of the ASCA region situation but I guess that has a very very slim chance of happening but we have discussed this before :wink:
Matt Dennis
Coach DAR Quizbowl Team
quizbowllee
Auron

Post by quizbowllee »

Well, I think I'm pretty much preaching to the choir on this board. Only those individuals in Alabama who want to see the game improve take the time to post here...

I think what is so sad is that there are 106 high school teams competing in ASCA this year. There are (or were) 96 middle school teams. However, at the annual coaches' convention back in October, there were less than 20 coaches there - and several teams had more than one coach present.

I have talked to dozens of coaches over the last few years, and almost all of them think that something needs to change. However, not enough of them show up at the conventions to make their voices heard.
Lee Henry
AP Lit and APUSH Teacher
Quiz Bowl Coach
West Point High School
President-Elect/Past President- Alabama Scholastic Competition Association (ASCA)
Matthew D
Yuna

Post by Matthew D »

Well I know I will be there this year for sure..
Matt Dennis
Coach DAR Quizbowl Team
Golden Tiger 86
Tidus

Post by Golden Tiger 86 »

Out of curiosity, you heading to the Russellville Middle tourney on Saturday?
Slade Gilmer, 2004 Graduate of THE Russellville High School, 2009 Graduate of THE University of North Alabama
quizbowllee
Auron

Post by quizbowllee »

Brindlee Mountain will be there with 3 teams. I think that Matt is bringing the Scottsboro crew, too.
Lee Henry
AP Lit and APUSH Teacher
Quiz Bowl Coach
West Point High School
Golden Tiger 86
Tidus

Awesome. Good luck at district, although I don't think you'll need it.
Slade Gilmer, 2004 Graduate of THE Russellville High School, 2009 Graduate of THE University of North Alabama
Matthew D
Yuna

Post by Matthew D »

yes the Scottsboro crew will be there.. I have 3 teams going..
Matt Dennis
Coach DAR Quizbowl Team
Byko
Yuna

Post by Byko »

I think what is so sad is that there are 106 high school teams competing in ASCA this year.
Just on that statement alone, I'm in agreement, as I'm pretty sure there were at least 200 schools that competed in district competition (even if nothing else) about 5-6 years ago.

And to think that I saw Alabama as one of the better states with a statewide quiz bowl coaches association....
Dave Bykowski
Furman '00
Michigan '02
PACE 1998-2009
Director, JROTC National Academic Bowl Championship
quizbowllee
Auron

Post by quizbowllee »

Byko wrote:
I think what is so sad is that there are 106 high school teams competing in ASCA this year.
Just on that statement alone, I'm in agreement, as I'm pretty sure there were at least 200 schools that competed in district competition (even if nothing else) about 5-6 years ago.

And to think that I saw Alabama as one of the better states with a statewide quiz bowl coaches association....
I don't THINK that participation in ASCA has ever been that high, but I might be wrong.

As for your other statement: There are a handful of really dedicated coaches in the state that try very hard to make great teams. A lot of younger coaches who actually PLAYED quiz bowl are emerging now. That makes a big difference, I think. Quiz Bowl is a rare activity in which principals and school boards tend to think that just any teacher is qualified to coach. I understand that sometimes you have to take what you can get, but that's like having a head football coach who never played football. Schools actively strive to find the best coaches for many activities (sports, band, etc.). But, few seek out and recruit quiz bowl coaches. I have, however, noticed that they are starting to do that to some extent in our tiny rural county system in Alabama....
Lee Henry
AP Lit and APUSH Teacher
Quiz Bowl Coach
West Point High School
quizbowllee
Auron

Post by quizbowllee »

I stand corrected... I found district assignments from 1998. There were 172 teams that year. I didn't realize that we were losing teams that fast. This just solidifies my claim that something needs to be done.

ASCA High Schools for the years I have available:

1998 - 172
1999 - 170
2004 - 130
2006 - 106
Last edited by quizbowllee on Thu Feb 16, 2006 12:04 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Lee Henry
AP Lit and APUSH Teacher
Quiz Bowl Coach
West Point High School
Matthew D
Yuna

Post by Matthew D »

ouch, I didn't realize that it was that fast also... and you are right there needs to be something done to stop exodus from quiz bowl.
I know that here is Scottsboro, till I got here this year, they had not had any team at the middle school level. The High School was not much better but they did have a team ~3 years ago but from what I understood didn't do very well. I also have been trying to contact principals in the schools from around the area that don't have quiz bowl... to see if we can get them started. I would like to see a county tournament for Jackson County in the next few years...
Matt Dennis
Coach DAR Quizbowl Team
quizbowllee
Auron

Post by quizbowllee »

I thought about Steven's claim that "good teams would keep playing." So, I took a look at all the teams that have made it to state between 1997 and 2004. This is the list of teams that I found that had made it to state at least once during that time and who no longer participate in ASCA:

Andalusia
Bibb County
Bradshaw
Daphne
Clay-Chalkville
Etowah
Shoals Christian
Mountain Brook
Alabama School of Math and Science
Central-Tuscaloosa (the only Alabama team to EVER win a National Championship)
Tuscaloosa County
Hayden
Carroll High

That's 13 teams that have made it to state in the past 10 years that are not in ASCA this year. That proves that "good" teams are leaving.
Lee Henry
AP Lit and APUSH Teacher
Quiz Bowl Coach
West Point High School
STPickrell
Auron

Post by STPickrell »

Lee--

Are these the result of philsophical differences or the result of a coach retiring/other administrative !@#$?

--Shawn
quizbowllee
Auron

Post by quizbowllee »

StPickrell wrote:Lee--

Are these the result of philsophical differences or the result of a coach retiring/other administrative !@#$?

--Shawn
I think that it's probably a little of both. But, these are just the teams that have qualified for state (gotten past both district AND regionals) that have quit. I have heard several schools who have never made it to state comment on their frustration. Many of them have quit ASCA altogether. In some cases, it's just sour grapes (if we can't win, why play?). However, there are several pretty good teams that are just cursed with being put in a hard district. This is very true at our district. There are about 4 or 5 teams in our district who have not made it even to regionals in the past few years, but who are significantly better than some of the teams who have made it not only to regionals, but to state, in the last few years.

In fact, we at Brindlee Mountain placed 4th in the state last year. We also placed 4th at district, but got to go on to regionals because of our small-schools championship. There is something inherently wrong if a team's placement in their DISTRICT tournament is the same as their placement in their STATE tournament.
Lee Henry
AP Lit and APUSH Teacher
Quiz Bowl Coach
West Point High School
DVader
Wakka

Post by DVader »

Bradshaw is not in ASCA anymore because the school ceased to exist when it merged with Coffee to become Florence High, which was at state last year. Bibb County, Daphne, Clay-Chalkville, and Etowah each had a single really good player that graduated and had no one strong enough to replace them. I think Clay-Chalkville's coach also retired. The coach retiring or strong players graduating without younger rising stars to replace them probably would explain most of the losses Lee cited, so it's not that the "good" teams are leaving, it's that a number of teams have meteoric careers centered around the presence of a good player(s) and a good coach. Once one of those elements leaves the program has a tendency to collapse. BTW, Mountain Brook is still in ASCA and in our district.
David John Gagne,
University of Oklahoma
quizbowllee
Auron

Post by quizbowllee »

DVader wrote:Bradshaw is not in ASCA anymore because the school ceased to exist when it merged with Coffee to become Florence High, which was at state last year. Bibb County, Daphne, Clay-Chalkville, and Etowah each had a single really good player that graduated and had no one strong enough to replace them. I think Clay-Chalkville's coach also retired. The coach retiring or strong players graduating without younger rising stars to replace them probably would explain most of the losses Lee cited, so it's not that the "good" teams are leaving, it's that a number of teams have meteoric careers centered around the presence of a good player(s) and a good coach. Once one of those elements leaves the program has a tendency to collapse. BTW, Mountain Brook is still in ASCA and in our district.
Point taken on Bradshaw. I don't know how I missed Mountain Brook on this list, either....

But, all the same, regardless of WHY teams are leaving, they clearly are. I didn't realize how bad it was until Byko's post prompted me to take a closer look. We are on track to have half as many high school teams in ASCA in 2008 as we did in 1998.

Granted, not ALL of this is because of the ideology of ASCA. I'd be remiss if I didn't point out how much BETTER ASCA has become in the last three years. There are still too many hoses, and some of the "pyramidal" tossups start out with things like (this is an actual example) :

It was destroyed by Rome at the end of the Punic Wars.

This question goes on for another 4 lines....

But anyway, the problem that David points out is even worse than the overall state of ASCA. Why is it that schools are allowing teams to die just because a coach retires or a good player graduates? How many schools have ever stopped having a football team because their All-American quarterback graduated??? How many schools quit playing basketball because their 40-year veteran coach retired??? Why is quiz bowl not looked at as just as necessary as any sports team? The primary function of a school is academic in nature, so it would stand to reason that a school would want to perpetuate an image of educational excellence through interscholastic academic competition.

I often wonder if Brindlee Mountain would still have a team if I were to move somewhere else... I like to think that the answer is "yes," but I honestly don't know.

It's these "meteoric" teams that may some day lead to the extinction of this game, at least in Alabama. Those of us who care about the game - both in Alabama and across the nation - need to brainstorm about ways to bring positive exposure to the game so as to convey its importance and relevance to principals, superintendents, and school boards across the country. It should be looked at as a necessity to have some sort of quiz bowl team in every single high school in the country.
Lee Henry
AP Lit and APUSH Teacher
Quiz Bowl Coach
West Point High School
Golden Tiger 86
Tidus

Unfortunately, especially in my old hometown of Russellville, that will never happen. Townspeople care about the football team. The quiz bowl team was considered irrelevant. The best example is my senior year, when we lost the heartbreaker in the state finals to Grissom. The tournament was in Muscle Shoals (that's another thing...while only having to go 15 miles to state was nice, I'm glad they moved ASCA to a more centralized location), and us and Bradshaw were the only two Shoals area teams in it. Normally, you'd expect the Shoals Area newspaper to bring up the fact that, hey, a local school is showing it can be good in athletics AND academics (Russellville's football team had been to two straight state title games and were 2 years removed from a state basketball finals appearance. We lost all 3, unsurprisingly). Instead, the article focused on GRISSOM and BOB JONES. No offense to my Huntsville brethren, but the only time Russellville was even mentioned was when they said "Grissom defeated Russellville 230-200 to win the 2004 Alabama Scholastic Challenge." That still makes me mad, just typing it.
quizbowllee
Auron

Post by quizbowllee »

Golden Tiger 86 wrote:Unfortunately, especially in my old hometown of Russellville, that will never happen. Townspeople care about the football team. The quiz bowl team was considered irrelevant. The best example is my senior year, when we lost the heartbreaker in the state finals to Grissom. The tournament was in Muscle Shoals (that's another thing...while only having to go 15 miles to state was nice, I'm glad they moved ASCA to a more centralized location), and us and Bradshaw were the only two Shoals area teams in it. Normally, you'd expect the Shoals Area newspaper to bring up the fact that, hey, a local school is showing it can be good in athletics AND academics (Russellville's football team had been to two straight state title games and were 2 years removed from a state basketball finals appearance. We lost all 3, unsurprisingly). Instead, the article focused on GRISSOM and BOB JONES. No offense to my Huntsville brethren, but the only time Russellville was even mentioned was when they said "Grissom defeated Russellville 230-200 to win the 2004 Alabama Scholastic Challenge." That still makes me mad, just typing it.
I don't blame you a bit for being mad! Our local papers are pretty good about covering what all we accomplish. We were even on the front page when we won the 2002 ASCA Middle School Championship. But, we have a pretty small bi-weekly paper that only covers local events. But, you're right, this should receive a lot more coverage. At the very least, the STATE Champions should be mentioned on the local news stations, etc.
Lee Henry
AP Lit and APUSH Teacher
Quiz Bowl Coach
West Point High School
Golden Tiger 86
Tidus

What made me even madder was how GOOD the coverage had been in 2003. The Times Daily (the largest local paper) sent a reporter with us on Saturday and had him watch us and write an article on the whole thing, with the gist being Russellville isn't just a football factory (a stigma it's gotten over the last few years in the Shoals Area). The tiny local paper (the Franklin County Times) was actually pretty good about covering us, but we'd have to call and tell them how we were doing, we didn't get much publicity beyond that. And, Grissom, to the best of my knowledge NEVER ONCE appeared on a Huntsville TV station after winning it in '01, '03, and '04.
quizbowllee
Auron

Post by quizbowllee »

I remember back in 1995 when I was in 8th grade... We (Arab Jr. High) had just won the ASCA Middle School State Championship. We were pulled out of class the last two periods of the day, because the Huntsville News Stations were "ALL" coming to interview us sometime within that two-hour window. We were so excited. We were all talking about what we were going to say on camera, who we were gonna give "shout outs" to, etc.

None of the stations ever showed. Not even one. It was a huge bummer.
Lee Henry
AP Lit and APUSH Teacher
Quiz Bowl Coach
West Point High School
Golden Tiger 86
Tidus

We got on the Channel 31 News in '99 when we won the middle school state title. We were on for about 20 seconds right before the news went off the air.
Matthew D
Yuna

Post by Matthew D »

Lee,
You bring up a good point, that quiz bowl is unappreciated. It has been very interesting to see my current situation unfold due to the fact that we have created a "buzz" here in Scottsboro. We have managed to make into the local paper twice for both of the tournaments that we have been in. I hope that we can continue the coverage in the future.
But back to what I was trying to say. I wish that there was some way we could raise the profile of quiz bowl. If we could get a public assess program to feature a tournament, I think it would help.
Matt Dennis
Coach DAR Quizbowl Team
Golden Tiger 86
Tidus

It wouldn't hurt. And, in a few towns it may be sort of a matter of pride (the West Point math teams come to mind). But, in a lot of towns, the townspeople don't care that their school is beating the pants off of other schools in academic competition. They want their school to beat the pants off of other schools in athletic competition. I know it was that way in Russellville, and I'm sure it's that way in a lot of other communities.
David Riley
Auron

Post by David Riley »

Lee: Sounds like you have a similar problem to what we have in Illinois. Complicating it further is that quiz bowl teams here seem to be divided into two "camps": those of us who like the pyramid-style questions and favor NAQT or NAQT-style (I would say this adds up to about 60 teams) and those who favor quick recall, short answer questions. You'll see Sox and Cubs fans rooting for the same team before this twain shall meet!

However, several of us in the IHSSBCA (Illinois High School Scholastic Bowl Coaches Associaton) have discussed the idea of creating a "national quiz bowl association". Perhaps if we started with a few states who could agree on common goals, shared ideas, etc. others would follow.
Matthew D
Yuna

Post by Matthew D »

I wouldn't mind seeing that happen. I think it would benefit all of the teams that were a part of it. At the least, you would know the teams that were serious about participation in quiz bowl
Matt Dennis
Coach DAR Quizbowl Team
David Riley
Auron

Post by David Riley »

Perhaps we could have interested parties meet for an informal discussion at NAQT nationals? It would be a beginning. . .
Stained Diviner
Auron

Post by Stained Diviner »

If somebody is serious about this organization, they should:
A) Start a new thread
B) Formulate goals
C) Figure out how this organization would fit in with good organizations such as NAQT and PACE as well as the many good independent tournaments that are run all over the country
D) Figure out how this organization would fit in with not-as-good organizations (unnamed by me) with large followings

Bonus points if you can figure out how this would all appeal to somebody like me who likes good Quiz Bowl but does not like to travel far from home.

Edit: I posted this before reading Riley's last recommendation, which is a good one. I still think some of these issues should at least be thought about before even the first meeting.
David Reinstein
Head Writer and Editor for Scobol Solo, Masonics, and IESA; TD for Scobol Solo and Reinstein Varsity; IHSSBCA Board Member; IHSSBCA Chair (2004-2014); PACE President (2016-2018)
bigtrain
Rikku

Post by bigtrain »

I think this organization already exists, it's called PACE...

http://pace-nsc.org/charter.html
Alex Price
Walter Johnson 2006
Emory University 2010
First Chairman
Auron

Post by First Chairman »

Thanks for the plug. We are in the process of reorganizing ourselves and I know I would appreciate knowing who would be there to help us out. It's hard to advocate if we don't have people who would help us with ideas.

As it stands, organizationally, I am in the process of getting an "Advisory Board" established to provide advice to PACE. This board along with PACE executive administrators and members would develop innovative strategies and solutions to promote the high school game.

Of course, first, I have to see how that would work for the North Carolina association since I am trying to write up its charter/articles of incorporation. I also want to organize a two-day quiz bowl mini-camp/meeting to develop leaders and strategies for us.

Regardless, this is why we support this bulletin board and why we would encourage even more "private" discussions.
Emil Thomas Chuck, Ph.D.
Founder, PACE
Facebook junkie and unofficial advisor to aspiring health professionals in quiz bowl
---
Pimping Green Tea Ginger Ale (Canada Dry)
quizbowllee
Auron

Post by quizbowllee »

Dr. Chuck,

I told you in Orlando back in June, and I will gladly say it again: if there is ever anything I can do to help out the PACE organization I will be more than glad (and even honored) to do so.

I was very impressed with every aspect of the PACE tournament last year. I'd love to see PACE branch out and grow. It was refreshing to play in an academic tournament with great questions written by people who know how questions are supposed to be written. It was also great knowing that the sole purpose and mission of PACE was to improve and promote academic competition. There is no hidden agenda or ulterior motive (like making a profit) that I could see.

To anyone who hasn't played PACE, it's ultra-challenging. However, it's also incredibly rewarding. Preparing my team for PACE was one of the most fruitful experiences I've had as a coach. They learned so much from going over PACE packets that has helped them in other tournaments as well.

For my 2 cents, I'd say that before any "new" national organizations are formed, we should take a close look at PACE and look at what potential might be there.

Whatever PACE has in store in the future, I'd love to be in on it.
Lee Henry
AP Lit and APUSH Teacher
Quiz Bowl Coach
West Point High School
quizbowllee
Auron

Post by quizbowllee »

It's 7:00 am. I'm about to leave to meet my team that the schools to go to district. I just wanted to tell all Alabama teams who are on their way to district tournaments across the state "Good Luck." Let us know how things go!
Lee Henry
AP Lit and APUSH Teacher
Quiz Bowl Coach
West Point High School
David Riley
Auron

Post by David Riley »

I have never been to a PACE tournament, but have seen their questions and have only heard great things about them.

However, and with all due respects to Dr. Chuck, I think that in terms of forming a national organization, I don't think it's a good idea to align ourselves with any specific tournament.

I feel that the goal is to work toward a true national Quiz Bowl organization. If we are to achieve that at some future date, I think that we have to be more "global". I mean, to play devil's advocate, why PACE? Why not NAQT? Perhaps we should creat a new thread in the appropriate place to discuss these and other issues prior to NAQT, PACE, and Panasonic nationals. For that matter, I know Chip is persona non grata around here, but he does attract (e.g.) a lot of New York and Texas teams. If we are to create a true national organization, their ideas have to be considered, at least.
Byko
Yuna

Post by Byko »

I promise I'll keep this short in a public forum. If you want more, e-mail me privately and I'll be happy to discuss further.

PACE isn't about just running a national championship. Yes, we do that, and we enjoy it, and it helps as a presentation forum of what we've done throughout the year. But it's more than just that. If you look at other groups like QU, Panasonic, ASCN, and NAQT, they're out to promote their own agenda. They are businesses that are all looking to make a profit.

PACE is a non-profit organization simply dedicated to the good of quiz bowl. There is no implication, intended or otherwise, that our game format is the best--we don't even try to present it that way. We simply want to provide a community for quiz bowl to promote competition. Personally, I see benefits to having multiple game formats in quiz bowl all throughout the country and welcome input from any and all competitors.

So why PACE? In short, because unlike the others, it's our stated mission.
First Chairman
Auron

Post by First Chairman »

I'll add to David. Two years ago, I was all ready to evaluate the usefulness of having the NSC. There are so many national competitions that having ours could put unintended financial pressure on people who were attending. The response I got to suggestions that we stop running the NSC were overwhelming: there is a purpose to having the NSC and there is still a need.

David points out, the NSC is only one program of many that we would like to develop. The issue right now is determining what the non-NSC needs are and how we can get the resources to develop them.

I have a few goals in mind, but I would rather talk to individual interested parties before I disclose everything. Plus, my role as NCATA executive director makes it possible for me to trial-balloon certain things.
Emil Thomas Chuck, Ph.D.
Founder, PACE
Facebook junkie and unofficial advisor to aspiring health professionals in quiz bowl
---
Pimping Green Tea Ginger Ale (Canada Dry)
quizbowllee
Auron

Post by quizbowllee »

The PACE/National Organization thread has been moved to Misc.

As for district at Snead:

Here are the 6 teams that advance to Regionals:

Pool A:

Buckhorn (5-0)
Brindlee Mountain (4-1)
Catholic High (3-2)

Pool B:

Covenant Christian (5-0)
Grissom (4-1)
Randolph (3-2)

No surprises there.
Lee Henry
AP Lit and APUSH Teacher
Quiz Bowl Coach
West Point High School
Neel6989
Lulu

Post by Neel6989 »

I personally didn't like a lot of the questions, but overall district went well. I'll reaffirm what everyone else has already said and say that CCA is very, very good, but I don't think they are as untouchable as I was led to believe. We lost to them, yes, but the game was very close and I feel like it could have gone either way.

Oh yeah, and to Brindlee Mountain, I'm surprised Buckhorn beat you guys. Am I underestimating them, or do you think that your loss was a fluke?
quizbowllee
Auron

Post by quizbowllee »

Neel6989 wrote:I personally didn't like a lot of the questions, but overall district went well. I'll reaffirm what everyone else has already said and say that CCA is very, very good, but I don't think they are as untouchable as I was led to believe. We lost to them, yes, but the game was very close and I feel like it could have gone either way.

Oh yeah, and to Brindlee Mountain, I'm surprised Buckhorn beat you guys. Am I underestimating them, or do you think that your loss was a fluke?
They had never beaten us before. In fact, they've never even been close. I don't want to throw around the word "fluke," as that seems sort of rude. So, I'll just say "You said it; I didn't." :wink:

They beat us on the last tossup in what was easily the worst round BMHS has played in months.
Lee Henry
AP Lit and APUSH Teacher
Quiz Bowl Coach
West Point High School
DVader
Wakka

Post by DVader »

From the Jefferson State District Tournament:
Pool A:
1. Hoover (6-0)
2. Pelham (4-2)
3. Oak Mountain (4-2)
Pool B:
1. Indian Springs (6-0)
2. ASFA (5-1)
3. JCIB (4-2)

No surprises here either. We went undefeated except for our tough loss to Springs in the final round (not that it really mattered, as we both entered the round undefeated). This tournament lacked controversy, other than it running really long. The questions were decent, nothing to complain about except for one that gave the year for the Cuban Missile Crisis as 1961 and Nautilus launching as 1956, which of course was impossible to protest. It didn't affect any games though. Well, I can't wait for regionals.
David John Gagne,
University of Oklahoma
quizbowllee
Auron

Post by quizbowllee »

DVader wrote:From the Jefferson State District Tournament:
Pool A:
1. Hoover (6-0)
2. Pelham (4-2)
3. Oak Mountain (4-2)
Pool B:
1. Indian Springs (6-0)
2. ASFA (5-1)
3. JCIB (4-2)

No surprises here either. We went undefeated except for our tough loss to Springs in the final round (not that it really mattered, as we both entered the round undefeated). This tournament lacked controversy, other than it running really long. The questions were decent, nothing to complain about except for one that gave the year for the Cuban Missile Crisis as 1961 and Nautilus launching as 1956, which of course was impossible to protest. It didn't affect any games though. Well, I can't wait for regionals.
Holy Crap!!!! I thought that Cuban Missile Crisis thing was wrong, but kept my mouth shut (for once). That would've won us the Buckhorn match!
Lee Henry
AP Lit and APUSH Teacher
Quiz Bowl Coach
West Point High School
MattSHS
Kimahri

Post by MattSHS »

Gadsden District

Pool A
Gadsden High (5-0)
Three way tie among (I believe) Jacksonville, Pell City, and Etowah.

Pool B
Southside (4-0)
Westbrook (3-1)

Because of a three-way tie in pool A and the Donoho School's performance in Pool B, I have no idea who is advancing yet other than Southside, Gadsden, and Westbrook. I really feel like our district has lost some strength during the past few years, and I don't recall seeing any other teams even approach 300 points in a round. Gadsden seemed legit this year, though, and definitely has the potential to make some noise at regionals.

The Birmingham District looks to have more collective strength this year than it has had in a few years. I've only seen ASFA and Indian Springs thus far, but if their performance is indicative of the quality of that district, I feel it is certainly probable that all four of the teams that emerge from the Birmingham-Gadsden regional this year could be from that district. Does anyone know what other district will be represented at Rainbow Middle this year?
quizbowllee
Auron

Post by quizbowllee »

I will comment on the scores for Snead. Brindlee Mountain broke 300 in almost every game. Our highest was 390. I think I saw Grissom with a 405 round. CCA was getting mid-to-high 300s. Buckhorn was also breaking 300 often.

The 3rd place teams in the pools (Randolph and Catholic) weren't scoring anywhere near that high. So, for once it looks like all the teams in our district who DESERVED to go to regionals are going. That's a big step for ASCA. The problem now will be Regionals, where only 2 teams from each pool will progress.
Lee Henry
AP Lit and APUSH Teacher
Quiz Bowl Coach
West Point High School
DVader
Wakka

Post by DVader »

From what I can tell on the website it's going to be Central Alabama Community College that will send teams to our regional, but that isn't for sure until they post the regional assignments. Our highest score was 430 in the first round against Hewitt-Trussville (which happened to be our bye round so it didn't count), and we got 390 against Spain Park. Most of our games were in the 300s and a few were in the 200s. Indian Springs also had a lot of high scoring games, including a 410 in the first round.

In other news, Bob Jones qualified for regionals at Wallace State. I don't know who else made it there though.
David John Gagne,
University of Oklahoma
Captain Cullman
Lulu

Post by Captain Cullman »

These are the teams that qualified from the Wallace State - Hanceville District.

Pool A

Austin High School (3-0)

Pool B

Bob Jones High School (4-0)
Cullman High School (3-1)

We lost the first match of the day to Bob Jones by 30 points, but we were able to take the over all points wildcard.
quizbowllee
Auron

Post by quizbowllee »

Captain Cullman wrote:These are the teams that qualified from the Wallace State - Hanceville District.

Pool A

Austin High School (3-0)

Pool B

Bob Jones High School (4-0)
Cullman High School (3-1)

We lost the first match of the day to Bob Jones by 30 points, but we were able to take the over all points wildcard.
Did only one team qualify out of Austin's pool??? And did they really only play 3 rounds??? That's freakin' ridiculous!!!!

Also, was Arab there??? How did they do? I used to coach most of their team when they were at Brindlee Mountain Middle.
Lee Henry
AP Lit and APUSH Teacher
Quiz Bowl Coach
West Point High School
Captain Cullman
Lulu

Originally, two teams were supposed to advance out of each pool, but Athens and Hartselle dropped out. I guess with only nine teams in the district four regional qualifiers were too many. I wish we had played a round robin, but that must have been too many rounds to write.

Arab was there. I do not know how well they did against the other teams in the pool, but we beat them 360-100.
quizbowllee
Auron

Post by quizbowllee »

Captain Cullman wrote:Originally, two teams were supposed to advance out of each pool, but Athens and Hartselle dropped out. I guess with only nine teams in the district four regional qualifiers were too many. I wish we had played a round robin, but that must have been too many rounds to write.

Arab was there. I do not know how well they did against the other teams in the pool, but we beat them 360-100.
I wonder how that is going to affect regionals. From what I can tell, that's gonna give us only 9 teams at regionals:

Covenant Christian
Brindlee Mountain
Grissom
Cullman
Buckhorn
Randolph
Austin
Bob Jones
Catholic

I hope they don't split that into a pool of 4 and a pool of 5 and take the top 2 in each pool. I seriously hope someone takes a close look at this situation.
Lee Henry
AP Lit and APUSH Teacher
Quiz Bowl Coach
West Point High School
Captain Cullman
Lulu

Sparkman finished second in the other pool at Wallace. Maybe they will extend an invitation to them. However, that still would not be enough teams. There needs to be at least two more teams.

How did our regional end up with two fewer qualifiers than last year?
Neel6989
Lulu

Post by Neel6989 »

Wow, over half the teams in our region are really good, and the other half aren't very bad either.