Stars 2000 Championship

Dormant threads from the high school sections are preserved here.
Ben Dillon
Rikku

Stars 2000 Championship

Post by Ben Dillon »

Does anyone remember/have records/know a website about the Stars 2000 National Championship?

The last mention I can find of it is in 1989, when Irmo won it. As I recall, there was some computer competition leading up to it (KMO?), and the top teams met live in Louisville for knockout matches.
Ben Dillon, Saint Joseph HS

"Why, sometimes I've believed as many as
six impossible things before breakfast!"
First Chairman
Auron

Post by First Chairman »

I don't think they had a website. It's not the same as the American Academic Challenge, is it? I doubt they were associated with KMO.

Besides, what would they call that competition now? :grin: :grin: :grin:
Emil Thomas Chuck, Ph.D.
Founder, PACE
Facebook junkie and unofficial advisor to aspiring health professionals in quiz bowl
---
Pimping Green Tea Ginger Ale (Canada Dry)
jrbarry
Tidus

Post by jrbarry »

I went to that nationals one time. we entered a KMO-type qualifier and ended up top 16 qnd they flew us to Lexington, KY where we competr
ed. I remember exactly nothing about it and I recoded nothing about it in my records. Musta been pre-1994.
ok_quizbowl
Lulu

Stars 2000

Post by ok_quizbowl »

It was not the same as KMO, but it was a similar type computer competition.

Our high school team (Broken Arrow, OK) finished in the requisite top spots (8, I think it was) in 1991 but they never contacted us about coming to Lexington to compete.

Oh well.

ESB
jmartin
Lulu

STARS 2000 Nationals

Post by jmartin »

Walton also participated in STARS 2000 back in the early '90's. As I recall, if your computer competition score landed you in the top sixteen, your team was flown to Lexington. I don't remember the type of questions in the computer competition but the questions at Lexington were all one or two liner speed questions. Walton may have been at Lexington the year Brookwood was there; you're right Rick, as far as a national competition goes it was unmemorable. Also, there was prize money involved, I believe $5,000 for the champs and $3,000-2,000 for the next 3 teams. That was the main reason for Walton's participation. If I remember correctly, this tournament lasted just a few years. It folded after it failed to award the prize money to its Final Four teams one year. The word got out and no one registered for it the next year.