Gopher Invitational 2015 (GINVIT) at University of Minnesota

Dormant threads from the high school sections are preserved here.
green_eggs_and_sam
Kimahri

Gopher Invitational 2015 (GINVIT) at University of Minnesota

Post by green_eggs_and_sam »

The University of Minnesota Quizbowl team will be hosting its annual Gopher Invitational (GINVIT) tournament on December 5, 2015 for high school teams. It will be on-campus at the University of Minnesota in Blegen Hall.

We are currently in the process of having the tournament become an NSC PACE 2016 qualifier. We will update this post as soon as we know for sure.

Set
We will use the set NAQT IS-148.

Rules
We will use slightly modified NAQT rules. Rounds will not be on a timer. There will be no computational math tossups, but computational math bonuses will still be included. Each round will include 20 tossups.

Fees
$80 per team registered *not per school registered*
Discounts: $5 per approved buzzer system used
$10 per approved staffer brought
$5 per 100 miles travelled
**There will be a minimum of $40 per team**

Logistics
The tournament will start at 9:00 AM. We ask that teams arrive by 8:30 AM for registration.

We will set a field cap at 32.

Current field

Wayzata (4-7 teams)
Minnetonka (3-4 teams)
Rochester (1 team)
St Paul Central (1 team)
Hopkins (1-2 teams)

**Note: any or all of the above may be subject to change**

Please contact Sam Levin if your school is interested in playing via e-mail at [email protected]. Include your school, the number of teams you plan on bringing, and if you are interested in bringing staffers and/or buzzer systems.

Link to Database page: http://www.hsquizbowl.org/db/tournaments/3379/
Sam Levin
Minnesota
Strongside
Rikku

Re: Gopher Invitational 2015 (GINVIT) at University of Minne

Post by Strongside »

Quick Results:

Wayzata A and Eden Prairie B had one loss after the playoffs.

Wayzata A beat Eden Prairie B in the finals to win the the tournament.

Eden Prairie A and Wayzata B both finished with two losses (Eden Prairie won that PPG tiebreaker).
Brendan Byrne

Drake University, 2006-2008
University of Minnesota, 2008-2010
Auks Ran Ova
Forums Staff: Chief Administrator

Post by Auks Ran Ova »

Despite some difficulty with the SQBS-for-Mac to SQBS-for-real-computer transition, almost all of the complete final stat report can be found here. I can't seem to get SQBS to generate an "individuals" page from the file I have, but I'll see what I can do on that front. In the meantime, I've attached a pdf of the "quickprint" individuals report.

Some explanation of the format is probably warranted. Since we had 26 teams, a particularly awkward number, we used the "paired prelim brackets" format detailed in this thread. We did our best to seed the teams accurately, knowing that it's a particularly sensitive aspect of this format, but the paucity of data about MN teams led to some slightly imbalanced prelim brackets. This explains some of the W-L oddities in the final stats, since the playoff format was brackets of 8, 8, and 6 (originally planned to be 8/8/5/5, but all of Regis's teams left at lunch*) composed of the top two teams from each bracket, the next two teams from each bracket, and all the remaining teams respectively. Ties for playoff bracket position were broken by PPG due to time and packet constraints. The top two brackets then played a crossover round robin against the remaining 5 teams and the bottom bracket played a standard round robin.

As I understand it, the top 7 teams (Wayzata A, B, and C; Eden Prairie A, B, and C; and Mounds Park Academy) have qualified for the PACE NSC, while the top 4 teams (Wayzata A and B and Eden Prairie A and B) have qualified, or possibly re-qualified, for the NAQT HSNCT.

Thanks again to all the teams for coming, and to all the staffers who donated their time!

*We were fully informed of this at the time and certainly bear no ill will towards Regis, who were also (prior to the tournament) unaware that all teams would be eligible for playoff games.
Attachments
ginvit2015_individuals.pdf
(37.47 KiB) Downloaded 191 times
Rob Carson
University of Minnesota '11, MCTC '??, BHSU forever
Member, ACF
Member emeritus, PACE
Writer and Editor, NAQT
Sam
Rikku

Post by Sam »

If anyone left a yellow hat, a black coat, or a Minnesota hoodie, we found them in the morning meeting room. PM me or contact Sam Levin about getting them back.
Sam Bailey
Minnesota '21
Chicago '13