New Trier Varsity, IL (12/19/15) (Missouri Open & SMART)

Dormant threads from the high school sections are preserved here.
Stained Diviner
Auron

New Trier Varsity, IL (12/19/15) (Missouri Open & SMART)

Post by Stained Diviner »

The 2015 New Trier Varsity Tournament will take place on December 19. We will have an Über-Competitive Division and a Standard Division. We are still figuring out which set will be used in the Über-Competitive Division. We are looking for a set that is in the range from high school national difficulty to college regular difficulty, and we are open to suggestions. The Standard Division is scheduled to play on the West Point SMART Set, which is a Regular Difficulty Minus High School Set. I am the Tournament Director.

To register for the tournament, use the attached Entry Form. To reserve spots for a team or apply to staff, contact me at [email protected] or post below.

Because the two divisions are using different questions, and the Über-Competitive Division questions are very difficult for high school students, we are allowing all teams to register for the division of their choice. This means that there may be some very strong teams in the Standard Division. The tournament format will be determined based on the number of entries for each division. When you register, please let me know how many teams you want in each division.

This competition will follow ACF rules, including 4-on-4, neg penalties, and no bouncebacks on bonuses. We will use powers if the sets are power marked.

The cost is $85 per team, which covers lunch for the students and coach. There is not a buzzer discount, but we expect teams to bring buzzers unless they have a good reason not to. Teams traveling long distances or who are in financial hardship can request a discount. Teams probably do not have to submit questions to play in the Über-Competitive Division.
Attachments
NTVEntryForm15.pdf
(47.36 KiB) Downloaded 409 times
Last edited by Stained Diviner on Fri Nov 27, 2015 11:53 am, edited 2 times in total.
David Reinstein
Head Writer and Editor for Scobol Solo, Masonics, and IESA; TD for Scobol Solo and Reinstein Varsity; IHSSBCA Board Member; IHSSBCA Chair (2004-2014); PACE President (2016-2018)
Stained Diviner
Auron

Re: New Trier Varsity, IL (12/19/15)

Über-Competitive Division Field
Auburn
Champaign Centennial
Hinsdale Central
Horse
IMSA
OPRF
Stevenson
U of C Lab

Standard Division Field
Auburnx2
Benet Academyx2
Bloomington
Buffalo Grove
Byron
Carmel Catholicx2
Fenton
Fremdx4
Hinsdale Centralx2
Hoffman Estates
Homewood-Flossmoor
Keith
Latinx2
Libertyville
Lisle
Loyolax2
Maine Southx2
New Trier
Northmontx2
OPRF
Palatinex2
Saint Teresa
Saint Viator
Sandburg
Specters of Europe
Springfieldx2
Stevensonx3
Stillman Valley
U of C Lab
Wheaton Academyx2
Wheaton Warrenville Southx2

Waitlist
Palatine
Bloomington
Homewood-Flossmoor

Staff
Berend
Brown
Burnett
Damisch
Dutmers
Egan
Elrod
Fedewa
Fischer
Jayanth
Kersky
Kobernat
Kolton
Kreb
Krueger
Laudermith
Legendre
Minarik
Nadig
Peterson
Anand Poozhikunnel
Ashok Poozhikunnel
Prince
Promisco
Robert/VanBriesen
Savage
Stankevitz
Strey
Vaughan
Wang
J Yang
Yenkin
Last edited by Stained Diviner on Wed Dec 16, 2015 7:09 pm, edited 74 times in total.
David Reinstein
Head Writer and Editor for Scobol Solo, Masonics, and IESA; TD for Scobol Solo and Reinstein Varsity; IHSSBCA Board Member; IHSSBCA Chair (2004-2014); PACE President (2016-2018)
Lo, Marathon Ham!
Wakka

Post by Lo, Marathon Ham! »

Perhaps Missouri Open would be available to mirror. Additionally, given that there are no tournaments scheduled in our region for that weekend yet and hopefully this tournament will run a set we haven't played, Wilmington Charter is interested in bringing one team for the Uber-Competitive Division. I'll fill out the form once I confirm that the two assumptions previously stated are valid. Thanks!
Mohan Malhotra
The Independence School '12
Charter School of Wilmington '16
New York University '20
Wilmington, DE/New York City, NY
Stained Diviner
Auron

Über will be run on Penn Bowl.
David Reinstein
no ice
Lulu

Post by no ice »

I'm sure there were many other factors in your decision, but I just wanted to note that at least four teams who were planning on attending this tournament will also be playing Penn Bowl @ UPenn tomorrow. This could be significant given the typically small field size of the Uber Division.
James Zhou
Hinsdale Central
Stained Diviner
Auron

I apologize to those teams, and we would have loved to have them here, but I did what I thought would be best overall.
David Reinstein
Stained Diviner
Auron

Re: New Trier Varsity, IL (12/19/15) (Missouri Open & SMART)

Because there are a couple of teams interested in our tournament who played Penn Bowl but not Missouri Open, we are switching to Missouri Open for our Über-Competitive Division. This is not a reflection on Penn Bowl, which otherwise would have been a very good set for us. We are still using the West Point SMART Set for our Standard Division.

We are accepting any team that enters before December 4. After that, we will only take teams if we have enough staff and if the numbers work for a tournament format.

Speaking of staff, we could use more staff. Let me know if you can help out.
David Reinstein
Stained Diviner
Auron

The Standard Division is currently full with 48 teams. Any new teams I hear from will be put on a waitlist. The Über-Competitive Division still has openings.
David Reinstein
Stained Diviner
Auron

I am in the process of deciding whether to run the Standard Division with power matching or pools. If you have an opinion on the matter, let me know in the next 24 hours or so. In either case, teams will be guaranteed 8 matches.

Also, the Über-Competitive Division matches will each be 24/24, and the Standard Division matches will each be 20/20.
David Reinstein
Good Goblin Housekeeping
Auron

Post by Good Goblin Housekeeping »

This may be because I'm only from an A- state but from what I could tell, SMART could have used a little editing as it was somewhat plagued with grammar issueS, random three line tossups, almanac clues, bonus parts which didn't provide sufficient information to uniquely specify an answer, clue repeats, Trash clues in academic tossups, and bonuses which were zeroed because they were all about some specific anime or Japanese video game among other things
Andrew Wang
Illinois 2016
Stained Diviner
Auron

All Tournament Teams

Standard:
1. Lucas Williams, Specters of Europe
2. Jonathan Suh, WWS A
3. Simon Ricci, Latin A
4. Lily Hamer, H-F
5T. Harrison Wang, Hinsdale Central B
5T. Michael F, Loyola A
7. Liam Warner, St. Viator
8. Olivia Lamberti, Stevenson B
9. Ricky Rivera, Carmel Cath A
10. Kara Combs, Northmont A

Über-Competitive:
1. Cole Timmerwilke, Auburn
2. Matthew Lehmann, Horse
3. Pranav Sivakumar, IMSA
4. Lauren Onel, U of C Lab A
5. Ali Saeed, Stevenson A
6. Sunny Chen, Hinsdale Central A
7. Mike Etzkorn, IMSA
8. Ankush Bajaj, Hinsdale Central A
9. John Waldron, Horse
10. James Zhou, Hinsdale Central, A

Standard Division Pool Winners:
Loyola A
Fremd A
Carmel Catholic A
Spectres of Europe
Stevenson B
Latin A
Wheaton Warrrenville South A
Homewood-Flossmoor
David Reinstein
Stained Diviner
Auron

Über-Competitive Standings following the full Round Robin:
1. Hinsdale Central A
2. Horse
3. Stevenson A
4. Auburn A
5. IMSA
6. U of C Lab
7. OPRF
8. Champaign Centennial
David Reinstein
Stained Diviner
Auron

Standard Final Standings:
1. Spectres of Europe
2. Latin A
3. Stevenson B
4. WWS A
5. Loyola A
6. Fremd A
David Reinstein
Stained Diviner
Auron

Stats

In the Über-Competitive Division, the actual ranking was:
1. Hinsdale Central
2. Horse
3. Auburn
4. Stevenson
5. IMSA
6. Chicago Lab
7. OPRF
8. Champaign Centennial
Last edited by Stained Diviner on Sun Dec 20, 2015 12:16 pm, edited 1 time in total.
David Reinstein
Stained Diviner
Auron

Thanks to Bryan Berend, John Brown, Colby Burnett, Alex Damisch, Jason Dutmers, Tom Egan, Mark Elrod, Ryan Fedewa, Brad Fischer, Niranjan Jayanth, Jonathan Kersky, Becca Kobernat, Michael Kolton, Denise Kreb, Mike Laudermith, Jonathan Legendre, Dylan Minarik, Andrew Nadig, Greg Peterson, Ashok Poozhikunnel, Anand Poozhikunnel, Noah Prince, Joe Promisco, Micah Robert, Mike Sorice, Jim Stankevitz, Kristin Strey, Derek VanBriesen, Tyler Vaughan, Andrew Wang, Jennie Yang, and Alex Yenkin for staffing. I can honestly say that they all did their jobs very well and made my job pretty simple.
David Reinstein
Susan
Forums Staff: Administrator

Post by Susan »

Really excited to see my alma mater (Benet Academy) played this tournament--I was not aware they had a team!
Susan
UChicago alum (AB 2003, PhD 2009)
Member emerita, ACF
Stained Diviner
Auron

This year, I emailed invitations to 492 schools, which is about 400 more than normal. Benet is one of a very small number of schools we added by inviting more schools.
David Reinstein